Unexpected compassion

Weddings & CO

 

-What are you doing here?

-What ARE YOU doing here? Where is my grandmother? I said frenetically looking around as if by chance she would be hiding somewhere between the chair and the table.

-What are you even talking about? I’m waiting for my mother; she’ll be there in a minute so please leave… I looked at him in awe.

-Had your mother asked you to be here?

-This is basically what I’ve just said Miss little dumb…

-My grandmother had asked me to have lunch with her, in that same room. I told him with a defeated voice and he looked at me with now a serious expression.

-This … this can’t be happening…he said after a while. And as destiny was playing on both of us, our phones went off, as we seemed to have received a text that would answer his question.

 

From Halmeoni, 12:41…

Sogeting session on.

 Leaving is out of option.

A detailed report is expected by 14:30

 

I slowly raised my head and looked to the man sitting in front of me with a horrified look that I dreamt to see for a long time but couldn’t even enjoy as my eyes were probably bearing the same fear. I had just entered hell. And it was named Ju Ji Hoon.

I felt like my legs were about to give up on me and went to the chair where I had to sit anyway. I had my elbows on the table and started to massage my temples trying to figure out when and what went wrong so that I would be given that kind of treatment.

-Hidden camera…he suddenly blurted out… yes hidden camera…c’mon guys come out? Ki wong you bastard come out it’s not funny … ok you got me … you scared the hell out me and I’ll let you even upload it on Facebook if you come out in the next 10 seconds… I scoffed. The poor guy is seriously losing it. – What? You don’t believe me? He looked at me this time. Your friends might be involved too… c’mon guys stop this right now it’s not funny ok? Wait a second you might be with them as well…was this your idea? You’re taking revenge, aren’t you?

-Oppa stop yelling for god sake you’re giving me a headache and the situation itself is quite enough for that…

-No no no no no no … there is no “situation” ok …this is ing fake…I can’t be here… I can’t stay here… I won’t let this happen…he said frenetically pacing around talking to himself. I’m leaving … he said proceeding towards the sliding door and guess what, it was LOCKED. He tried several more times and I scoffed even louder looking at the sky and praying Lord for mercy. Oh right; I’m in hell already… no salvation is possible.

-I’m sorry Ji-hoon ssi… both your mother and Miss Lee’s grandmother had made it clear that the door should be locked for an hour while both of you enjoy a course prepared by our chef I heard Mrs. Kwon talking from outside and who turned out to be an accomplice. I see what she meant by “leaving is out of option”.

- …He screamed from the top of his lungs as his anger startled me. I didn’t dare to talk. He looked scary. I had my arms crossed over me and I was looking down, or at nothing mostly. He sat defeated and had one of his hands over his forehead hiding his now closed eyes. He kept silent for almost 2 minutes.

-How can you be so calm? He finally said his eyes still closed. Was I calm ? not really… I was just…

-I…I guess I’m just trying to be practical...

-Practical?

- It’s obviously one of these stupid punishments my grandmother is so good at and I have no choice but to go with it. It’ll be finished in a bit more than 45minutes.

-Stupid punishments? He said this time looking at me.  Don’t you see what’s going on here??? Don’t you know what THIS means? He said looking around.

-What? Sogeting? I asked genuinely and he irked at the word as I’ve pronounced a blasphemy.

-Don’t say it loud I’m begging you…I’m still trying to process the facts here…he pleaded his hand hiding again his eyes.

-Oh c’mon … it’s not like you’ve never done it before…my grandmother is I see still very mad at me for the bouquet catastrophe I created the other day and your mother is…well probably mad at you for your whole life…he shot me some arrows with his eyes before looking to his side shaking his head as he was debating with himself.

-You don’t understand…I don’t do this, ok? I never do this …

-What Sogeting? I provoked again finding his behavior slightly amusing only to receive the same deadly look.

-Yes.  S-o-g-e-t-i-n-g. 

-Really? I asked more like a rhetoric question and clearly suspicious of the comment but he didn’t budge as he seemed to be lost in his thoughts. Okay…well even though I’m much younger than you let me introduce the matter to you. He frowned at me. “Sogeting” is a social formality like any other one instigated by elders probably …around the Joseon era and for people for a certain status…nowadays it’s a common practice among the whole population. However, “Sogeting” for us, is a strong metaphor of the absence of freedom in our life predicted by responsibilities, principals, deeds we were born with…he raised an eyebrow.

-Yeah right a social philosophy class is exactly what I needed now…I heard him complaining mostly to himself.

-The point is…this moment is only meant to remind you, us; that you’re not free to choose…neither am I …

-You think? You think this is all it is about? He asked me clearly doubting my talk but at the same time there was part of him who wanted to believe me.

-YES! Trust me you’re talking to a professional Sogeter here…

-A what??? He tried to restrain a laugh and I felt relieved, as my life seemed to be out of strike now. Ok guide your Oppa with your incredible knowledge… can you explain to me what are we supposed to do exactly? He said a bit more relaxed and willing to give in.

-Obviously E.A.T … Usually food is really good during Sogetings as families hope to impress the opposite party and treat the best places, the best chefs…I said with a nerdy tone Hana would probably salute as I was removing the silk napkin covering the delicious dish perfectly warm because of the integrated heating system under the wood table. - Daejanggeum Konshikmy favorite…The Congdu is well known for his royal cuisine. The traditional court cuisine is cooked on the basis of the records contained in ancient literature. Superior chefs here cook the foods under the supervision of 'Han Bok-ryeo' who has been designated as Important Intangible Cultural Property for his expert knowledge about the court cuisine of the Joseon Dynasty. Daejanggeum Konshik is well known for combining the foods material according to the Yin and Yang principle and the Five Elements Theory, which is the basis to prepare Korean foods where five colors and five tastes are created in harmony.

The refined traditional court cuisine is always served in a elegant hand made white porcelain crockery.

The menu was composed of:

 

            Dry Snacks

            Colorful Platter of the Nine Ingredients with Thin Crepes

            King Prawns with Pine-nut Sauce

            Pan-fried Fish and Vegetables

            Porridge and Water Kimchi

            Deodeok Pancake

            Grilled Mero

            Braised beef with Herb

            Kimchi Wrapped in a Cabbage Leaf

            Special Korean Casserole

            Abalone in Soy Sauce

            Grilled Short Rib Patties with Pine Mushroom

            Rice Mixed with Vegetables and Beef Soup

 

-I see what you mean by impressing the other party…last time I’ve seen a table that full was in Seollal…

-Is it your first time here?

-Well, your grandmother owns this place…of course it’s my first time here, and hopefully the last one…I knew something was fishy from my mom’s choice of place…I should’ve known…

-C’mon it’s not that terrible, only thirty-five minutes are left… I said looking at my watch and taking my chopsticks. I looked at the table and suddenly felt hungry. I started eating and I saw the manwhore slowly giving up and following me. I grinned at his expression when he had his first bite. PRICELESS. It definitely won’t be his last time here. The food here is just too good to be given up easily. We kept on eating silently for almost twenty minutes and as weird as it might sound it wasn’t awkward.

-So …do you often soget?

-Usually, once every two-month when everything is fine…

-WHAT?

-Yeah…I’ve sogeted the entire Seoulite bachelor community…He bit his lip to restrain a laugh, which made me realized two things: first I’m a funny person. Second, I was wondering if his lip had healed from last time I bit it.

-When "everything is fine"?

-What? I snapped back. Focus girl…focus…

-What did you mean by “when everything is fine”?

-Oh, that…When I’m good with my family, if they have something on me I can do a whole week…

-I see…so today is one of these days right? He said in a tone of a student being passionate by his college class.

-Isn’t it obvious?

-Not really…

-I crashed my best friend wedding by snatching the bouquet of the second Coex daughter-in-law who happens to be the daughter of the most ruthless politician our country have and launched myself to the heir of the biggest conglomerate this continent never had…

-Well… if you put it this way it is actually obvious… but I still don’t see how this is related to me? I haven’t done anything wrong…He said innocently and I choke on my food coughing and beating my chest to help food get through my esophagus. I was wrong my life was still clearly in danger.

-Did I say something wrong? He asked annoyed with my reaction but still handing me some water.

-No … not at all “bastard”.

-I’ve sogeted once…he said after a while. I looked at him and he had this expression of someone reminiscing a memory and not a happy one. I was probably your age or younger than you, how old are you again? He asked this time looking at me.

-23

-I was 22. I was studying in London at that time and I was back home for holidays. My family heard of my lifestyle and late parties and I believe now according to what you’ve been explaining that they wanted to warn me of what control they had by forcing me to meet this girl from a supposedly known family my uncle was close to. I was really mad; I really thought they would marry me at that time. I didn’t even greet her as I met her.  I sat there for 2 hours and listened to my music while she was there, looking at me with red angered eyes. I didn’t pay attention to her until she suddenly grabbed whatever was in the table and threw it at me. She then ripped her own clothes until she was almost launched herself on me kicking me, pulling my hair punching me as I tried to keep her away. I couldn’t fight back… she was a girl you know… I only tried to block her, when people came in I was on top of her blocking her arms as she was crazily debating and screaming… It cost my parents 5 million dollars and a humiliating apology done my father himself to that piece of trash family that suddenly expatriated to China the very following week. No matter how much I claimed my innocence nobody believed me, even my own parents. They just forgave me a sin I never committed. He finished with a crooked smile out of irony.

I stayed silent. I couldn’t say anything. I could only understand now why someone his position and most important his age was getting away from the “Sogeting” task. How could they assign him after such a terrible fiasco? A feeling suddenly invading me got me confused. Not that I wasn’t used to that feeling but the manwhore being the object of it was rather troubling me. Compassion. I could see now why he’s been acting recklessly for his whole life. No matter what he does people will always see the bad in him. He was born in the richest family Korea never had, the company whose brought glory to the country after the war has destroyed it. A company that employs a Korean by four. A company that by itself represents 23% of the GDP, the company to what the national stock exchange depends on. A wealth that is the object of envy and annoyance, irritation leading to misconceptions, fantasies about the people that inherited it. What’s the point of pleasing people that would hold grudges on you anyway? I know what it feels like. Except that I’ve embraced another way to live with it, the opposite one.

-So basically, it’s your first time Sogeting since that story happened? I managed to say after a while.

-Yes. I don’t know why I’m telling you this… Good question Ju Ji Hoon. Why are you telling me this, why are you making me feel sorry for you? , I’m not even calling you a manwhore anymore! - What I’m trying to say is that…I don’t do this…I don’t soget around when my parents are mad at me…these tricks doesn’t work with me…they don’t do theses kind of jokes…you see what I mean?

-I’m not sure…

-I’m saying that this…he said with the same tension he had when he just came in and pointing at me, then at him: - it might be a bit more serious than a “punishment”…he said with a grave expression and I stood there looking at him for more than ten seconds before snapping out from the craziness of his thoughts.

-Look…you might be right…you actually have nothing to do with it yet you’re here copping with me and my grandmother’s Joseon dated ways…She’s behind everything and you’re just a part of her plan to get to me…you know better than anyone how she got your mother under her spell…sending you here must have been easy as pie…plus your mother knows I’m far from being a crazy who’ll hold accusation when “Oppa” didn’t give a damn about her…

-You have a point. But still –

-No still … trust me there’s nothing, NOTHING behind this “Sogeting” beside my grandmother’s thirst for revenge…

-I know but-

-But what??? Think about it seriously…how can there be more…my grandmother hates you, she despites everything you are, she thinks you’re rude, disrespectful, immoral, incompetent, lazy –

-OK OK OK …I GOT YOUR POINT…no need for the lamination…he begged with a defeated voice and you know what…I felt sorry. Yes I did. AGAIN. What the hell is going on with me? Put your act together. This guy almost got me killed. He slapped me. He –

-Are you ok? I raised my head only to see his concern look and I couldn’t face him anymore. This guy is the enemy. He’s meant to be hated not to be sorry for. What is happening to me? I have to leave I can’t stay here anymore.

-Yes I’m fine…I said once I cleared my throat. I looked at my watch and oh my…! I said out loud.

-What?

-It’s 2past10…

-That’s impossible he said looking at his watch then at me with wide eyes. God. We were free for forty minutes. We suddenly broke the awkward stare and stood up. It took me less than five seconds to pack phone glasses keys in the bag and ran to the door only to bang at him.

-Ehem…ladies first

-Thank you …I walked out first and I swear I felt like seeing the sky for the first time once I got into the courtyard. I was now in the main building and as I was on my way out I felt all the eyes of the last customers on me, or shall I say on us, as I seemed to have forgotten a certain male was not that far.

-Don’t you think your dress is slightly too short for that kind of place…I heard him taunting me. I scoffed.

-I don’t think my dress is being the problem here…He might be not completely wrong. Congdu is a conservative place and if I had known sooner I would’ve gone with another dress option but c’mon it’s black and I definitely have the look of someone getting off from office.

-Really, you see another reason why the customer population here is eye scanning you?? I don’t know dumb… you! The guy is dressed in designers from head to toe. Ok me too but I’m a girl…I stole a glance at his outfit Alfred Dunhill blazer, Burberry trousers, Kingsman tie. Lanvin for the tie clip and the pocket square and of course John Lobb shoes, again.  Plus in this country girls are expected to look neat and perfect all the time thus plenty of them ruin, starve and sell themselves for bags, a pair of shoes brand tagged. It’s logo or nothing. But when a man shows a similar level it can only mean that he’s a big fish. Ji-hoon is rare fish. I must say fine taste, and I hate to admit it good looks. Very very good looks. But I won’t say it loud would I?

-You’re right… I’m afraid my legs are too much disturbing for this kind of place…I confidently stated as I reached Mrs. Kwon. – You really broke my heart…I told the latter who was heartedly laughing at me now not even feeling sorry.

-I’m sorry miss Lee but you know between you and your grandmother it’ll always be your grandmother…

-I know but still…you could’ve at least informed me…or give me a hint it’s not like I would’ve run away…ok I probably would’ve had. – I mean I almost had a heart attack…I whispered while J the player was discussing things with the manager and I wondered what. Damn, I don’t care.

-Oh c’mon it wasn’t that terrible, quite the opposite actually she said with her teasing voice and indicating the time.

-I had a wonderful time Mrs. Kwon, the food was amazing please thank personally the chef for me and pass on the little nothing I’ve left for him he said putting back his wallet and sounding all polite and gentle and I took note of his acting skills.

-Did you...did you take care of the bill?

-Of course I did silly…he said courteously almost affectionately as Mrs. Kwon was cautiously listening. And I got what was it about.

-Oppa…I smiled hypocritically. You should have not…it was supposed to be my family treat…it’s your first time at the Congdu…I said with the fake pouting voice Sunny had taught me to use. He lowered his head hiding a smirk clearly seeing the game on.

-And not the last time princess, Oppa is already thankful and honored for the time you gave me…I can’t let your family do anymore…my god help me find the strength to keep the delicious food in my stomach.

-Omo Omo … Miss Lee you’re really lucky to have such a gentle and caring Oppa…

-I am … Mrs. Kwon, I am …

-Mister Ju it was a pleasure to have you here and I’m sure I’ll see you very soon. She said confidently almost with a hidden meaning and I frowned at her but he didn’t seem to have picked it up. We bid our farewells and soon found ourselves in the parking lot where it suddenly became awkward. I got more nervous as I couldn’t see Mister Choi around.

-Ok so…he cleared his throat well…as surprising as it might sound…it was nice Sogeting you…he dared to speak. And I lost my words. He’s right. It was nice. I got to see another side of him. I’m not sure I wanted to see that side, I’m not sure I wanted to feel any form of empathy towards him but the truth is I did. I couldn’t really say anything. I simply nodded wondering If I should tell him or not. He waited for me to say something but I didn’t. - So I’ll see you later I guess…he said walking few steps waiting for his car. Maybe he was disappointed. I’m not sure this was the right thing to do but…

-Oppa…I shout at him. He looked at me with an interrogative look and I probably had the same. I hesitated few more seconds. – Do you believe in destiny?

-Excuse me? He said looking at me as I had just escaped from a mental hospital and half laughing probably mocking me and thinking there’s a silly non-funny joke coming. I understand. I would’ve thought the same if I was playing him in that same situation but I was playing me and I was serious as hell. Something he probably noticed as he scratched his head and decided to answer. No I don’t, do you? He asked looking straight at my eyes.

-I do… I…I believe that each moment, each meeting is meant for us to learn, to realize something…I don’t think there’s anything that happens by fortune…he looked at me as I was speaking Swedish. – I think this Sogeting was meant to be…for you and for me to learn something…

-Okay…now…now I’m lost…what are you trying to -

-She knows…your mother…she knows that you didn’t do anything to that girl…his face suddenly became more tensed and he shifted all his attention, all his focus on me. I walked the few steps that were separating us until I was perfectly facing him. His stare was deep, dead serious that I couldn’t finish my talk. He could’ve asked me questions, how, why …but he didn’t. He calmly waited. I cleared my throat looking down on my feet then took a breath. – I was in boarding school at that time. When I was back home my grandmother would drag me everywhere with her, I was all the time glued to her…I was fourteen but looked like a baby to her…she never thought that I would pay attention to her business, understand it, remember it. I was there when your mother came a late evening to my grandmother saying that you were trapped in a “delicate situation”…I was there as well few days later when my grandmother in person met a girl I’ve never seen before who happened to be pregnant with her all time high-school boyfriend, a drug addict looser who had gotten into crazy debts as his father cut him off… debts they tried to get rid off by using you I guess now…

-Tried?

-They never got the money… it only took her 20 minutes to make the girl spill the beans…I didn’t know what the beans were at that time…I didn’t know how was she even related to you… and to your delicate situation… or to your mother late evening visits…all I knew is that your mother paid the guy’s debts and they all flew to China to start a new life… I stayed silent for a moment trying to analyze what was he thinking. It’s funny how the truth always comes out. I remember at that time being so curious about all the things that were going on that particular summer but I couldn’t ask. I noticed few things here and there but it wasn’t enough for me to understand the whole situation. I ended up forgetting it. I never thought that I would find the truth ten years later. The point is…your parents, both of them know you were innocent…I finished anxious. Why am I telling him this?

-Why are you telling me this? He asked. I shivered. I cleared my throat.

-I told you…I believe in destiny…I don’t think there was another meaning for this meeting to be; besides setting the record straight…He looked disturbed. Like really disturbed. What the hell is wrong with me? Why did I do that?

-I …I don’t understand…if they knew I didn’t do anything to her…then why pay her debts…and most important why keep it as a secret…

-Because…I hesitated. Because you have enemiesOppa, think about it…who did you said this girl was introduced by? He frowned and as the realization hit him he stated it out loud.

-My uncle…

-Exactly…your uncle…in his family the hatred between his father and his brother is no secret but just evidence disguised in a ludicrous brotherhood appearance. And if there’s something I’ve learned by watching my grandmother is that your enemy is the weakest when he thinks he’s got something big on you…I said and he thought for a moment.

-So what you’re saying is that my uncle thinks that my parents did really paid the money and most important really think that I’ve assaulted that ?

-I think your uncle knows very well that you didn’t do anything, but he thinks your parents don’t…and it better remain that way, until he re-enters the fray…

 SILENCE 

Wouaouh…Wouaouh like … really??? I mean seriously??? He seemed hurt. I felt bad……… he cursed. He scoffed, he brought his hand to his forehead, walked a few steps, talked to himself, paced around, stood still …I left him there in his thoughts, wondering If I would be the reason he would lose it to until he seemed to slowly come back to normal. I just didn’t know at that time that indeed I was the reason he was going soon loose it to, and if it didn’t happen at that moment…it did happened later…

 

 


[1] Korean lunar year celebration, the most important holiday in the country.