The Moving line

Weddings & CO

- What? She spoke out of the blue making him almost jump on his spot. He then felt relieved as he realized she had taken a call from her friend. For a second he thought she had surprised his eyes roaming around her figure as she had helped herself in his dressing room after the shower scene she had deliberately created. Her hair was almost dry. She was wearing one of his Visvim white t-shirt on the top of some black skinny Rag & Bone jeans he forgot he even had. How did he always lost himself into her vision he still didn’t know it. – He what? Oh my god…she spoke rolling her eyes about something but didn’t feel anxious as he knew already it was going to be good news from the quick and efficient text Ki has sent 20 minutes ago but felt the urge to know more details. – Ok…are you sure? I mean yes you’re right it is a good idea…you must be exhausted…is she going to be fine? (…) Take care of her…and of you of course…see you tomorrow then…I mean tonight…like later tonight…she added laughing hanging up the phone.

- What? He spoke urging her to spill the beans.

- Your friend sent a Samsung helicopter so that Mino makes it back to his hotel before the dawn…he should be back in the Shilla in 30 minutes…

- He what ?! if his father finds out he’s gonna get killed…

- Well apparently he doesn’t seem to care about that…he seems to care only…she cleared …about you…

- Ji-hoon? Yes…he’s the best…

- No…no…he’s not…she insisted almost offended by his comment. Not only love, friendship could also be blind she realized. 

- You don’t know him…

- I don’t want to…you…you should call your mom she must be freaking the hell out…she spoke leaving towards the rack of wine trying to chose a bottle. It was 4 in the morning. He laughed. He felt relieved. It was fixed. He knew it deep inside. He believed it. – What about them? Are they on their way back? He asked after dialing his mom’s number.

- They decided to spend the rest of the night there; they’re at Jin’s hotel…she explained as he nodded. They’ve must been exhausted he thought and started to think of a way to repay all of them, including her friends. – Hmm Omma…she heard him speak as the latter took the phone. She could hear her sounds of relief from the other side of the living room. She had picked a bottle and was now looking for two glasses as she could feel him steal some glances towards her while talking and reassuring his mother. His kitchen was smart she thought, she was there for the first time in her life yet it was very easy to find everything she needed. – Now we can have a drink don’t you think? She spoke as he came walked towards her after finishing his phone conversation.

- I think it’s a marvelous idea…he explained as she laughed. – Let me open it…he asked and she let him do going back to her phone to reply a text Sunny had sent her. Once done he was already next to her in the living room with both glasses in hand. They sat down and laughed at her toast proposal called “Mission success”. He soon found himself devouring her with his eyes again. She could feel it and he knew it also from the way she was looking at anywhere but him yet looking effortlessly composed. He would love to know how to do that also.

- What are you thinking about? She suddenly broke the silence making his heart skip a beat. How could she always be where he wasn’t expecting her to be? She was wild enough to avoid him at a moment but challenge him a second after because her guts told her to do so. She was always unpredictable, and that is what he feared the most. He cleared his throat.

- I was thinking…why…why do you never dry your hair? He spoke as she frowned for a few seconds because bursting into a laugh to what he followed. – Seriously…he added. -  I’ve wanted to ask you for a long time already…

- Oh really? She spoke ironically but still amused.

- Really…I never saw you drying your hair even once and I grew curious about it…he spoke trying to be serious while his flirty smile betrayed him completely.

- Well…I just don’t like the way my hair looks if I use a hairdryer, it looks better when dried naturally…don’t you think so? She now asked him as he took few seconds to answer.

- I don’t know…I’ve never seen it after the hairdryer so…I can’t really compare…he explained as she nodded slowly locking eyes with him mentally asking herself if they were really talking about her hair.

- You have a good point…she ended up saying.

- Do you want to know what I’m thinking now?

- No thanks I think I’m fine…she replied instantly as he thought she was cute.

- Really? He spoke now amused by the game.

- Really.

- Why not?

- Because I already know what you’re thinking about…

- Oh you do? Now he was interested. He repositioned himself on the couch they were sharing as she was carefully sitting on the other side of it, facing him. She was so close, yet so far.

- I do.

- Why don’t you tell me then…he found himself challenging her back. She sipped in her glass. Took a breath and cleared a throat.

- Well…you’re thinking about Soprarno…she dared to say as he stood there lost in her eyes. of course that was what he was thinking of, he was being so obvious. He didn’t even try to make it not. He didn’t care at this point. So did she. After all wasn’t she thinking about the same thing?

 

(...)

 

10 months ago:

Firenze,

- Yes…Gongju…I am alive… she spoke instantly after looking at the caller ID.

- Huh I was actually wondering if you were fine for a start but that’s good to know too…spoke her friend to what they laughed.

- Sorry…

- Let me guess… Sunny already called from LA and Hana from Hong Kong?

- Yes…Sunny called literally three seconds after I turned my phone on… I almost wonder if she put a fink on my phone or something like that…and Hana…she had to set up an alarm to wake up and check on me…

- Oh god…laughed again her friend before adding: - I seriously should reappraise my friendship skills…they’re both on another level…

- Please don’t…you’re a “normal” friend that’s all…leave the craziness to the two others…we need some balance in this group…she answered to what they laughed for another ten seconds.

- How’s the hotel?

- All good thank you so much for the recommendation…this is exactly what I needed…you were right it’s very discreet…

- See I told you! If you run into someone you know in ‘Soprarno’, it means that you’re fated to be … joked her friend to what she rolled her eyes.

- What about you? How’s Paris?  She risked herself to ask knowing already that she won’t get too much detail.

- Well paris is paris…never changes never will…II’m actually leaving tonight for the countryside with my grandmother…she wants to spend sometimes in Bretagne…

- Oh…oh…how…how is she doing?

- Do you really want to know?

- No I don’t…haha… ok I have to go shower now and get some wine and dinner and wine mostly…but seriously can you stay close to your phone I felt like the receptionist was trying to tell me something earlier but I couldn’t get what, her English was very poor and my Italian skills are basically non existent so I might need your help…

- But you checked in right?

- Yes I did but still something felt off…

- Ok…well… “Lol”…I’d be glad to be your translator if needed…

- You’re my life savior…

- Love you too…she laughed before hanging up.

 

She smiled looking at her phone and suddenly realized that it was actually the first time in these three years that they would be away from each other. She had to stop at that thought. Three years. Where did they fly by? Only yesterday she remembered them landing in New-york eyes filled with excitement at the idea of exiting the family circle, the pressure they grew up with. Freedom. That’s what they were seeking for, and exactly what they got for those three years where they refused to put a single foot back in their hometown from where their family members one after one had to come in case they missed them. They wanted to be free to see, to observe, to understand, to act, to be wrong, to fall, to stand up again by their own will and not the society’s one. They fought with each other, laughed, cried, screamed their anger out, and confessed their deepest worries. They were themselves 24h a day it made them who they were now. Three years that felt like ten in terms of self-improvement. They were much stronger, smarter, wiser than the day they arrived and that was the last holiday they offered themselves before going back to the court they were born too. Consciously or unconsciously, she wasn’t sure; they decided to be alone for the last one. Like each of them needed some time alone, with themselves to look back on what they’ve accomplished, and look forward what was coming.

She had showered now and smiled as the scent of Do son by Diptyque that had invaded the bathroom, she added her favorite body lotion Voile lactée by the same brand before going with her skin care which consisted of the moisture bound, luminous effect serum and the hydra gel free oil free cream by Amore pacific. She had her hair wet and decided to let it dry naturally after putting some shu uemura urban moisture hydro-nourishing double serum.  Yes, now this room was hers. She exchanged her bathrobe for her black ‘Jazz-time’ bra by La perla with the according thong to what she added her Ryder stripped Pima black cotton robe by Skin also in black that she had opened while putting on some make-up. She always felt the most confident yet vulnerable wearing only underwear. It enhanced who she was the most, that’s maybe what scared her a little. She had mastered her favorite cat eye-line with her Saint Laurent eye-liner between few sips of red wine and was now finishing up her lips tinted in red by Armani when she thought she had heard something but mistook it for the music she had started to play as ‘Koln’ by Brolin was heard in the background. She tried to lower the sound from her phone but couldn’t and went to the bedroom where she had put the “PLAY: 1” sonos speaker Sunny got her for her birthday. The sun was going down and the room got much darker than the moment she arrived yet the moonlight was enough for her as long as the bathroom was lit. She was about to grab the speaker when she felt her heart skip a beat as she felt a presence beside hers. She somehow found the strength to face her intuition and slowly turned around to see if she was wrong only to realize that she was not. A man. Standing in the middle of her room. Yes, in her room. She stared at him few seconds in a awe in case the wine might have had the best of her until realization hit her, hit both of them at the same time as she dropped her glass in the bed as he turned around to not look at her. She ran into the bathroom screaming “oh.my.god” something like a hundred times as he said “sorry” the same amount of time.

- Shibal… she spoke this time as she hit her foot against the tub as she heard him react to that.

- Oh…oh…you’re Korean? Risked the man to speak as she widened her eyes from the bathroom were she was hiding.

- Oh...oh…you’re STILL here? She spoke in her mother tongue loud enough for him to get his act together and leave.

- Huh…ok…I guess from the language you must be very mad now but I promise they must be a misunderstanding, this room is-

- I don’t think you got it yet. L.E.A.V.E !

- Ok…ok…I’ll leave…I’m leaving now…will wait for you at the reception we need to fix this… he spoke and she could hear him smile saying that. “Jerk” she thought out loud grabbing the first thing she had in hands which was the black  ‘Guinevere’ maxi crepe dress by The Row and put on her ‘Intrecciato’ leather slides by Bottega Veneta. She was her friend’s phone that obviously was not answering even thou she had clearly asked her to keep her phone close. She was heading to the reception using her red Gucci printed pouch to hide her face out of embarrassment as she caught few funny glances towards her.

- What the hell did just happened, could you explain me how a complete stranger managed to enter my room?  She spoke angry but lowering her voice so that the three persons hanging around in the lobby won’t hear a thing but ended up scaring even more the reception lady who was shivering.

- Mi…Mi scusi signorina…un…un…momento per favore…

- What? No…no...no ‘momento’ where are you going? It was too late. She had already left. ‘Oh god’, she spoke this time to herself trying again to reach her friend in vain when she heard someone address her in her native language.

- Don’t be mad at her, it’s not her fault… he spoke calmly and clearly still amused by the whole situation, which made her even angrier.

- Oh so you admit that it was yours, you deliberate- she stopped on her track as she was facing him now, thus seeing his face for the first time. She lost her words. Track of time and space as she stared at him.

He stared at her too. After all he was actually seeing her for the first time and could finally focus on her face. Now he could confirm it, the fact that she was real. He knew something was wrong the second he entered the room.  When he got to the hotel already the receptionist was waving at him, he thought she was referring to the room keycard he thought he had lost; he simply waved the card at her indicating that it was fine. However the second he stepped in the room where a heady smell was lingering, a smell he felt oddly drown to; he understood she wasn’t just trying to warn him about the card. He looked around the dark room that was illuminated by the moonlight and tried to process what was going on. Did he have it wrong? No, the keycard wouldn’t be able to open otherwise and that’s definitely the room he checked in this morning. That’s the one he always stays at. He snapped back as music started to play and realized that first, his room has indeed been invaded, and second, the invader was now facing him.  ‘The line is moving, I don’t mind. I can wait’ sang the man with the tender voice to the sultry beat. What he smelled, heard and saw seemed areal. Like all his senses were playing a trick on him. Especially his vision. A woman half wearing some black underwear’s contrasting with her pale skin and red lips. Her hair still wet was sensually flirting with her neck as her eyes were piercing at him. Him he realized and instantly turned away to give her by the privacy he has violated.

- Nohum…how do I explain...here’s what happened: the moment you checked in I had just called the reception explaining that I lost my keycard and asked them to get a new one ready, both cards mine and your were on the counter, it seems like you took mine…he spoke and he saw her frown as his story made sense. She was calm, too calm. – The moment I got back I actually realized it was on my blazer’s pocket and went straight to my room…I mean your room…that is actually mine…it does make sense right? He spoke feeling ridiculous, as he wasn’t getting any reaction from her anymore beside few frowns and her avoiding his eyes. Was she still embarrassed? He couldn’t get it; she seemed to be quite overwhelmed. He waited for her to say something. She stood silent for another few seconds that felt like an eternity to him before she stated:

- I…I didn’t see your stuff in the room. She spoke calmly and he shivered at her sulky voice.

- Huh yes…that’s actually because I had an important meeting as soon as I landed so I barely had time to put my suitcase in the closet…I haven’t even had time to open it…

- Oh…I see…I haven’t opened the closet I put my suitcase in my bed…I mean…your bed…hum…she bit her lip trying to restrain a small laugh at the whole situation. All of this was beyond unbelievable. – I…I’m sorry. I knew the receptionist was trying to tell me something…

- Yes she wanted to check if you took the right card by the time she realized you haven’t you were already gone. She nodded and frowned at the same time.

- She explained it to me…I…I speak Italian.

- Ok… huh…well…again I’m sorry so how do we-

- Don’t be…it’s my fault. I can get really clumsy sometimes and If I hadn’t called asking them to get me another card none of this would’ve happened-

- No need for regrets, she cut his words. – I guess this was ‘fated’ to happen…she spoke this time for herself with a hint of irony as these words meant a bit more to her than it did to him. He hated it. Not knowing what she meant.

- I never said I regretted it. He spoke bluntly as she looked at him. – I actually like what ‘fate’ has decided. He spoke this time as he made up his mind about acting according to the will that grew within him since the second he laid his eyes on her; having her. She held the stare for another moment before she softly scoffed to her side. Was she amused, flattered? He wasn’t sure as his mind was going wild by the idea of him touching all of her.  ‘This is going to be funny’ she thought secretly as she was sure about the fact that he clearly was making a move on her. She thought he was being a gentleman, how could it be something else? But now that he made his ulterior motives obvious she couldn’t help but feel like doing what she did best; playing along.

- Is this your way of saying that you liked what you saw?

- Would you blame me if I admit I did? He answered this time confidently as she was now flirting back.

- I won’t. I would actually take it as a high compliment; especially from you…she added using all her charms, as he liked very much what he heard.

- Shall we have some dinner while they fix your bed’s wine sheets problem?

- My bed? I thought it was yours?

- It was. It’s yours now. You can stay in that room. You’ve already pretty much settled over there, what about we eat something and I’ll get later my stuff from my- I mean your room…he explained knowing too much that after dinner and few glasses of wine he won’t have to leave. At least not tonight. She tried to not laugh, he was being so obvious, and he literally made it clear that he was sleeping with her.

- We can do that…she spoke implying that she got what he said and that she didn’t mind.

- Great… he simply added before speaking few words in Italian to the receptionist that had came back for a moment now but didn’t dare to interrupt them.  – Shall we go now?  He spoke rhetorically and walking few stepped as she followed while an awkward silent took place. Awkward for him, he suddenly felt like wanting to appeal more to her than he already did, he found himself looking for the right thing to say, to please her, to pick her interest as she seemed to have a lot going on her mind. As she seemed to live in her own world.

- Oppa…she suddenly said out of the blue stopping on her track while he walked few steps ahead in the middle of Via Maggio Street. He turned around to face her, as he haven’t realized she was behind, he crooked his head. ‘Oppa’. He wasn’t a fan of the word. At all. He wasn’t even used to it. Yet. It sounded different coming out from her lips. Her voice had probably a lot to do with it. He liked what he heard, what he saw. Her once again lit by the moonlight.

- You…you’re very beautiful. He simply stated as she bored her eyes into him. She felt almost upset, amused but still slightly upset, but most of all she felt flattered. Terribly flattered. She hated it.

 - Oppa…she spoke again this time not looking at him. He frowned. It seemed like she was whining about something, not whining to be cute but genuinely reproached him something. What? – Wooky Oppa… she said this time as his blood froze in his veins. Now that he thought about it, he hasn’t introduced himself yet. How? Even if he did. How would she know about his nickname?  – You really don’t know whom I am, don’t you? She added, as he seemed really confused now.

- I…I don’t understand- He stopped his own words. Has he met her before? Was that the feeling haunting him, familiarity?

- It’s me… Subin, Choi Subin. She provoked him as he widened his eyes slowly but surely taken by realization. “Choi Subin”. He’s heard that name before.

- Choi…Subin…as…my brother’sas Kim Hana’s friend: Choi Subin…as Hyundai’s…Choi Subin?

- Yes. That Choi Subin. She said as she admired that confusion, shock and embarrassment that was invading his face. She tried not to laugh but it was becoming difficult as he “OH GOD-ed” for hundred times and even paced around. What was exactly going on trough his head? She felt like she could give thousands dollars right away if someone could tell the answer. She gave him all the time she could as he was going trough a mental breakdown before her patience got to its own limits: - are you ok? She interrupted as he looked back her.

- Huh yeah…he mumbled as he closed back his eyes. – If…he cleared his throat again…If I ask you to forget what happened during the last 30 minutes you won’t be able to would you? He finally dared to speak as she tried hard to suppress a laugh. She cleared : - you might wanna be more specific on what you want me to forget exactly, are you referring to the part where you saw me half or the part where you admitted that you liked it? Or the part where you suggested we spend the night together?  She provoked as he gasped “Oh lord” putting his hand in front of his mouth, as she couldn’t take it anymore and burst into a big laugh.

- This is officially the most embarrassing moment of  my life. He said looking at his feet with that smile of his that she knew so much and that she had been melting over her whole teen life. – You…you’re all grown up…When is the last time I saw you? 5 years ago? 6? Maybe more…I can’t really recall…

- Here’s the thing Oppa, You never really saw me. She said more calm now but still very amused by the whole situation. He dared to look at her this time.

- I…I’m sorry…I really am…he spoke clearly embarrassed.  She crooked her head. Was he embarrassed about the present, or the past? She wasn’t sure and decided to brush it away for the moment.

- If you really are then let’s head to the restaurant. I’m dying of hunger. She spoke taking the lead and walked few steps ahead as he hesitantly followed her clearly disturbed. Now that she was leading, now that she had set the game the way she wanted it to be, she acknowledged the voice in her head that’s been whispering since the moment he looked at her this way, the voice who dared her to make him hers. 

 

 

(…)

 

 

- Well…he spoke after letting his mind wandering a moment…- you’re wrong…

- Oh am I?

- Yes you are…actually I was thinking my jeans look much better on you…he said to what she laughed.

- Of course they do…skinny jeans seriously? What got into you?

- God…he spoke embarrassed now. – don’t tell me about it…I bought them in 2003 or 2004 I’m not sure…during a trip in New-york…I had just finished my military service I think I was trying to be rebellious…he explained as she couldn’t help but laugh again even louder.

- By buying skinny jeans? What a rebel boy…

- Don’t judge…

- I won’t…she added still trying to suppress her laugh. – god…I was 14 then…when you had finished your military service…she spoke as he frowned at her weird thought.

- Don’t…god don’t ever do that…I feel like ert now…he spoke before they again started to laugh. She felt good. Sharing that moment with him. These stories. These silly thoughts. She felt like she could do it even more often and as this last thought sent her a sort of electroshock she felt her smile fade away and stood up almost abruptly. She cleared .

- Are…are you ok? He asked now worried standing up also.

- Yes…yes I’m fine…it’s just that I’m tired…I need to sleep and you need to also as you’re gonna have to go the airport lately…

- You can stay here…you can sleep here…he spoke not really minding the choice of his words as she raised an eyebrow. – I really meant sleeping and nothing else…

- I know, it’s just that-

- Please. Don’t go. Just…just stay…stay with me…he added again not caring about the choice of his words again. He just spoke what his mind told him to, what his heart told him to. He didn’t think. He decided that he wouldn’t think from now on. She stood there realizing at that moment that their relationship had just taken a complete other direction. She slowly nodded both indicating that she was staying for the night, and that she was willing to take the path that whatever called relationship was about to take. He slowly leaned towards her and as she thought he was about to kiss her she felt his chin on her shoulder, his arms around her waist. She slowly put her arms around his neck, as she’s wanted to do since the moment he threw that glass against the wall. She felt sorry, for all he’s been through this evening and as he heard thoughts he simply whispered in her ear: “Thank you, thank you for everything”. then she realized for the first time of her life, that “thank you” could have much more meaning that she thought it could.