The easy way

Weddings & CO

The room was dark, it was just the two of us. No noise was to be heard except for his heartbeats, I could feel tension all over his body and how he was trying to hide it and for a second I felt guilty of the way I’ve always took advantage of the unconditionally affection he has for me.

- Are you done? He said glimpsing at the door he had slightly open to make sure nobody will see us.

Hyukkie…I’ve just started… I said smiling with a high pitch voice and he glared at me. Ok I’m seriously starting to think that something is wrong with my cuteness skills today.

I wish I had known about the part “we’re going to illegally break in my family doctor office on our way to the restaurant” when you called me for dinner

Oh c’mon Oppa what’s the difference you would’ve come anyway ... I teased. And what illegal part are you even talking about; your father owns this hospital…

Exactly, that’s the scariest part! I genuinely laughed and he finally relaxed. He came closer as he made up his mind to help me to spy on my grandmother’s health.

Arrgh why so many Lee in there…I complained coughing between the dusty files I brought from a closet that didn’t seem to have been used for years, is there even a doctor who uses this office? Ok he obviously he doesn’t consult here but last time I checked he was still using that creepy place.

Oh my god…What are you even do- Ok baby girl let Oppa take care of it, I know a faster way…why does he sound so serious even when he’s bragging. I obeyed a bit suspicious and fell my jaw dropped when I saw him turn on the IMac and log in to the hospital system where a few clicks could lead him to any patient medical records.

You’ve got to be kidding me…

Nobody has been using these files for at least the past ten years…

Good to know…But just out of curiosity isn’t this supposed to be his personal session…I asked as he was printing the last update on my grand-mother’s medical record.

Well you said it yourself… my father owns this hospital…he ily whispered grabbing the file and my hand as we faded away.

 

***

I was frowning at the weird and complex words that were in front of me from the jazzy lounge where we decided to eat. Hyukkie haven’t said anything as he’s been silently waiting for my lecture to come to an end. It was funny how both of us were confortable in that silence, not even trying to put up on a conversation.

I give up…I don’t understand a thing about this …I finally said throwing the pages on the tables and already cursing myself for my misbehavior remembering who I was with only to see my dear friend laugh heartedly at my action.

You’re too cute…let me have a look…I’m the doctor here after all...

Thanks for the information you could’ve spare me the headache I’m about to have for the next three days…

You’re the one who insisted to read it yourself and I just couldn’t resist…you’re always so cute when you try to focus he teased glancing at me as he started to read the documents.

So correct me if I’m wrong… basically I am cute all the time right? I played along.

Yeah basically…except when you try to act cute…I raised an eyebrow nodding seriously at the comments as I was learning something and realized finally what was wrong with my cuteness ability today. No actually; I hate to admit it even when you’re trying it works…he finally said with a killer sincerity and I just stayed silent. I looked at him inertly reading; slightly frowning showing that he was focused. There was something about him; I’ve known him since forever yet there was always a part of him that I couldn’t reach. This part suddenly felt stronger than usual.

You’ve changed…I dared to say after a while.

What do you mean? He said still reading.

I don’t know…you’re more…expressive he paused for a moment before putting the file down.

And…is this a bad thing? He asked challenging. I didn’t have an answer for that.

It was just a pure statement…

- I’ve been away for too long, it made me realized things…he said looking straight in my eyes and I nodded at his words.

Things, such as? I asked already regretting my words. I felt like I was going somewhere I didn’t know.

Such as…what is really important in life he said all mysterious and I hated it. That is not him. He’s clear, readable. He goes straight to the point. Of course he’s got his secret garden, we all do, but he doesn’t beat around the bush.

And what is that? Did I really want to know?

Well I found out that the real question isn’t “what” but “who” is important… He finally told me with that meaningful look, as that answer was enough for me to understand everything.

So…is…is my grandmother dying?

What? He said a bit startled before getting back to his senses and almost disappointed at my change of subject. No she’s not…of course she’s not as usual you’re just being overdramatic. Everything is doing fine…

Are you sure?

I’m positive…whatever is going on with her right now has nothing to do with her health…at least not on a physical level. I raised an eyebrow.

What is that suppose to mean?

It means what it means, if you think she’s sick well she’s not physically sick…

YAH LEE SOOHYUK…Are you implying that my grandmother has gone mad? He couldn’t help but burst into a big laugh.

Why wouldn’t she? He asked trying to catch his breath. From Queen of Minpea Hagek to bouquet crasher nothing is stopping you…

YAH! I can’t believe you just said that…if I had known you would be making fun of me I would’ve called Hana you guys would’ve had a blast together…

How is she doing? He said now more calm but still smiling.

Hana? Hana is Hana…she’s fine, she’s a fighter, she’ll always be fine…how is HE doing? He took a breath and I saw him hesitating a bit before talking.

He’s …he’ll be fine…are you coming to the wedding?

No…of course not…too much of drama and it’s quite safe to say that I had my quota of it last night for at least the next ten years…

10 years? I don’t think your grandmother agrees on that…

Well thank you I had forgot that for the past 55 seconds…

I’m sorry…

I am sorry…You probably were not expecting to get married in the following month on your way back home…GOD you might even get married before Minho …I said exasperated.

Well as long as it’s you I’m fine…

What? I was seriously startled at his words. What was going on with him?

What “what”? You sound so surprise… I mean…my parents could force me in with I don’t know Jong’s sister…Lee Soohyuk and Hong Sujin…I’d rather kill myself…Lee Soohyuk and Lee Gongju…definitely sounds better you don’t think? Plus you’ll get to keep your last name. I laughed remembering how much Sujin had always been obsessed with Soohyuk since forever, no need to say that I’m the most hated person in her world.

Chances to keep my last name after getting married are higher than 75%...we just have the most common name in this country ever…

Ok beside the fact that you’ll keep your last name, they must have other advantages? Aren’t they? OK why are we having this discussion now.

So basically you want to hear how wonderful you are?

Well I kind of already hear it all the time; I want to hear it from you…he was slightly smiling but I could see in his eyes something that I’ve never seen before. Insecurity. He didn’t lie when he said that he heard it all the time. Soohyuk has always been my male version. The perfect guy. The son every parent could dream of, I never remembered him getting in any kind of trouble but more him saving people from it. He had always been very obedient to his parents to the much dislike of his friends that grew up hearing all the day “Soohyuk is so intelligent…Soohyuk is disciplined…so brilliant” and the worst part is that they couldn’t hate him as he was the most reliable guy they could ever meet. I also knew it; I just never imagined that he needed me to say it.

Someone is calling you…

What?

Your phone…It was on mute and I haven’t seen indeed that it went off.

It’s Sunny…Is it ok if I take it…she had called me 20 times already…

Yeah of course go ahead…

I won’t be long…I said apologetically.

Don’t worry he said winking at me and I just felt sorry at the way-out I was gladly taking. I walked until the entry of the lounge and found a confortable spot where I dialed my sunshine’s number.

YEAOBOSEYO??? I pulled away from the phone after the ear attack I just had.

Sunny, baby no need to scream I still can hear you even if you’re away…

SHUT UP! Are you ok??

I’m fine …I was having the weirdest conversation with Hyukkie your call couldn’t come at a better time…

What do you call a weird conversation? Did he finally confess?

Whaaat? Shut up…there’s nothing like that…Sunny…I…I am so sorry I crashed your bouquet moment…

Pleaaaase I don’t give a about that stupid story…I’m sorry I insisted to have it…I should’ve cancelled it right after Eun-hye eonni left…none of this would’ve happened…are you sure you’re ok? I had a look at the return flights I might take the one at 5am tomorrow then we –

GOD NO! Sunny no!  Please listen to me…there is no way in hell you’re ruining your honeymoon because of me…it’s not that bad…I mean no it is BAD but not enough for you to ruin your trip…my grandmother is acting really weird but I’ll be fine…please don’t worry…you’re over acting!

Are you sure? I don’t care about honeymoon…It’s quite boring actually…beside the of course and you don’t need to be miles away to have good … I laughed at her comment.

Yes I am sure … please baby don’t worry…enjoy yourself and your first married week…

I don’t know…It’s not just you that I’m worried about…I have this weird bad kind of feeling going on…I feel like there is something big going on and I’m not here for you guys…

What do you mean?

I don’t know…there is Sue who’s more mysterious than usual I feel like she’s hiding something…plus there is Hana… She said hesitantly. Sunny and I have always been the observers in the groups, she’s extremely sensitive and her telling me these kinds of things wasn’t telling anything good.

Ok for Sue I had noticed as well that she’s been acting weird but what about Hana? Did…did something happened?

Well… Not yet…Tae told me that Shini apparently went last night to Hong Jun and asked him a few questions about Hana’s work place and which department she’s working at…I’m afraid she might do something…

Ok…what the is wrong with that …she’s marring the guy…I swear if she…I took a deep breath and calmed myself as few people noticed my presence: - thanks for telling me this…I’ll take care of it baby so please don’t worry I’ll make sure she doesn’t approach her…

Ok but please please please…if anything happens you have to tell me… either on your side Sue’s or Hana’s …I want to know everything and I’ll personally judge if it does worth it to ruin this trip…ok? 

Ok don’t worry; I’ll call you…

Promise …

I promise Sunny baby please stop worrying…enjoy yourself and I’ll talk to you later…

Ok I’m counting on you Gongju you know how much I hate to be left aside

Trust me I know …

Ok I must go now Tae is giving me the “you’re ridiculously overacting” look…she said laughing now but even if she wasn’t in front of me I could still feel how tensed she was and I felt guilty for making her worry about me, about us, when she should be having the time of her life.

Ok…take care baby I said with the most reassuring voice I could gather.

Say hi for me…I turned around only to see Hyukie caring my Martin Margiela cardigan and Botega Veneta clutch.

Hyukie says “HI” Sunny…

Hi to Hyukie too…wait…what are you doing…YAH…Hey Gongju what’s up? I heard my newly friend in law asking me. Could you give me Hyung for a moment?

Hi Tae…I miss you too by the way…

Oh c’mon…I said “what’s up”

Yeah…Whatever…Oppa, Tae wants to talk to you…I said heading the phone to Hyukkie who seemed to enjoy the situation as a smile kept on lingering on his face. I thought again about the conversation I had with Sue earlier as I was looking at him talking to his friend. “Easy”. Indeed everything seemed easy with him, his friends were mine, and he would never reappraise or put aside my friendship with the girls for any kind of reasons just as I would never think the same about his. I saw him suddenly frown a bit and walk away for some privacy and I kind of felt what it would be about.

Here you go…he said giving me my phone, then my clutch and putting on my shoulders my cardigan as I realized something.

Don’t tell me you got the bill…

Of course I did…

It was suppose to be my treat!!!

Well you treated me with your time your majesty that is already a huge honor…he said all sarcastic and if I hadn’t known him I would’ve thought he was rude.

Shut up how much do I owe you?

Yah yah yah yah…he restrained himself from what he was about to say I don’t want to be angry with you so let’s move to another subject…

Wouaouh seriously …like seriously … is it that unimaginable for you that a girl might pay for you…what kind of century do you live in? Doesn’t men realize that it’s only because of these kind of behaviors that our society is currently suffering of the gold-digger sickness.

I won’t comment on that…look…I actually wanted to take you for desert but…

Mino right…is…is everything ok?

-  I’m sorry …I don’t know if he’s apologizing for the desert cancellation or for not telling me what was going on. Either way I won’t actually blame him.

Please don’t be…I actually would’ve not been able to go for the same reason…

Is everything ok? He said suddenly worried.

I guess so … I just need to check on her, what about him? I risked myself to ask again.

He…he’s fine, don’t worry…same as you just need to check…I remembered how such of a bad liar he was. I’ll drop you at Silla, this is where you’re going right?

Yes …I smiled. This is where I’m going…I didn’t need to explain, didn’t need to ask, he just knew it, he knew everything. Whatever weird special complicated relationship we had, I was happy with it because it only sounded weird and special and complicated to the others, for me he was my friend, my shelter, my confident…Was…He’s not anymore. Will never be again.

 

***