Meeting the devil

Weddings & CO

Few days have passed since the last incidents and unfortunately nothing was going back to normal. Hana didn’t give us any further explanation about her sudden change of mind regarding us going to Mino’s wedding, she never talked about it again except for the fact that she insisted I would be the one taking care of the dressing code which made it quite clear that she was seeking for revenge which we obviously totally understood and even supported. Sue was now clearly avoiding me as she finally admitted that she was indeed hiding something and since she wasn’t ready to tell me what she locked herself in her big atelier outside of Seoul and I was myself busy with the Amore new line launching event happening in one month and a half as my grandfather wanted me to be personally involved, and damn… I had only less than ten days to find the perfect four dresses so we could be the one Shinni the gold digger make suicide to.

But then I couldn’t complain about how busy I was and even suspected my grandfather of giving me sudden tasks on purpose so I won’t notice that my grandmother was still and seriously mad at me. During the few moments I would get to see her at home she would ignore me, give me the silent treatment and leave after few minutes in excuses of “something urgent” to do. She seemed to have a lot on her mind and even her dear husband didn’t seem to know what, we only feared the consequences of it. I’ve never seen her like that and it didn’t predict anything good. I was really worried and I couldn’t tell anyone about it as they all had their own worries going on, plus saying “it” was admitting there was something wrong going on and I’m not sure I was brave enough to face it.

At least Sunny was landing tonight but I might not be able to see her as she would probably be tired plus she’s married now. I was feeling lonely, I needed my friends, not necessarily to speak out my concerns but just have fun, just laugh out of something stupid and remember that no matter what trial I’d have to face I should always look on the bright side, they were my bright side.

Soohyuk was busy as well with his father’s hospital, which was a good thing, as it was getting more and more awkward between us.

 

-You called me? I said half entering in my grand’s office as I spent the afternoon at the headquarters and was working from the communication department two floors downstairs.

-Oh you’re here …Yes I did come here darling…he answered standing up as one of his team members was giving him some reports. “Darling” seriously?

-Are you sure? I can come back later if you’re busy…I said bowing to his team members and apologizing for interrupting.

-Oh no miss Lee …don’t worry we were done…please come…they said bowing back which made me feel uncomfortable due to their age, and important position. I responded by a lower bow this time as they were leaving. When I looked back at my grand now that we were alone he was tenderly smiling at me and I instantly knew what he had in mind.

-They love you…he finally spoke.

-Of course they do …I’m the boss’s “darling”…grand I already told you to avoid nicknames at work it takes off all my credit…I said taking the chair in front of him.

-Sorry I just keep on forgetting… he said laughing…but seriously they really love you…trust me… I get to know everything that is said behind my back, the good things AND the bad ones…believe me or not; nothing negative had came to my ear when it comes to you…

-Not yet…I teased

-I have to say there were a lot of reluctances when you first came in he said putting himself confortable as well in his CEO’s chair and I found him suddenly intimidating. Everyone expected the typical privileged heir to boss people around but your hard work and respect towards your sunbaes soon gained popularity over the company…they like your style…you give time and attention to each member, from the last recruited intern to the highest executive, you treat everyone equally and it means a lot to the staff. They’re slowly getting rid of the pressure and dare to speak their ideas no matter their position in the team. I must tell you the communication department has been the most efficient and productive team in the last months and your presence in it has a lot to do with it. I can’t help but wonder what amazing things you’d be able to do if you would come more than three days per week…he paused for a moment and I took a deep breath. I wasn’t allowed to speak only to listen. – You even had people wondering what amazing things you would do once you get my chair… he said this time looking straight in my eyes. I managed to crook a smile even if my heart was beating crazily as I feared that talk since I came back from New York.

-So …basically you’re asking me to act like a reckless from now on so I would stop stealing you the show…I said pretending to joke which kind of worked as he heartedly laugh at my comment.

-No that’s not what I said…in fact I haven’t said anything yet…

-So what is it that you want to say? I dared to ask. He slowly stood up and leaned on his desk reducing the distance between him and me. He had his arms crossed and took the time to speak. A time that sounded like an eternity to me.

-I just wanted to say that I’m extremely proud of you, of the woman you’re becoming. I wanted to say thank you for always minding your family opinion, thank you for being responsible, for making me feel at ease. I love you Gongju, I’ll always will…he said taking my hand. I was taken back at his words but still found the strength to stand.

-Halbeoji… I managed to mumble out of confusion with a grave expression. Is their something wrong going on? He looked at me for a moment.

-To be honest…I don’t know, I just felt like I needed to tell you these things…

-You’re scaring me…

-Don’t be…everything will be all right and always remember that we seek only for what is good for you; you might not see it now but one day…you’ll understand…

-Why are you being so mysterious just tell me what’s going on …he let go of my hand and went back to his chair indicating that the emotional moment was finished now.

-Your grandmother had requested to have lunch with you at the Congdu today…she expects you to be there in…he looked at his watch…well an hour…I sighed loudly and he was trying to hide an apologetic look.

-She lost my number?

-Don’t be silly…I had called her earlier this morning and she dropped it in the conversation…she knew I would be able to relate the information…

-Oh c’mon grand stop finding her excuses…she’s clearly avoiding me! I said loosing my patience.

-Calm down… she won’t be asking to have lunch with you if she really was…

-Yeah…whatever…if you say so …I should get going now, you know how much she hates late people and traffic right now is the worst…I said leaving coldly proceeding towards the door and quite upset but before I could reached the exit I found myself eaten by remorse and ran back to him, hugging him tight.

-I love you too Halbeoji…

 

    ***

 

As predicted I was five minutes late, at least I didn’t have to park the car as my grandfather insisted I would go with his driver.

-Hello Miss Lee…it is so nice to see you after such a long time…greeted me the host that have been working for years at the Congdu. It was by far my grandmother’s favorite restaurant probably because her ancestors owned it. As I was growing it was always the place she would choose for us to have a serious talk. As the place itself should remind me who I am, my heritage, and the legacy I should honor, in another word, I was about to receive the scolding of my life in the best of the situation or the life sentence she had secretly prepared for me in these past days. Ok I might be exaggerating. God, no I’m not.

-Follow me Miss Lee, your grandmother had prepared a private room for you…

-Of course she did…

-Sorry miss Lee…you were saying?

-Nothing …we walked through the entire dinning room where some people were silently having lunch. We reached the patio that was hiding the private building of the mansion where usually “important” guest meet to discuss “important” things.

-It’s ok Mrs. Kwon; I think I can handle myself from now. Thank you for guiding me until here but I’m sure you have other guests to be taken care of…

-Still miss Lee…you’re a guest as well and one of the most important…

-No I’m family Mrs. Kwon… please don’t bother with me thank you for your warm welcome…

-My pleasure Miss Lee she bowed before going back to the main building. Truth is I didn’t want her to see me shiver in front of my grandmother, I didn’t want her to see the cold treatment my grandmother would give me, I’d rather her remember how cold she is to everyone but me. I reached the building and was now in front of the sliding door of the private dinning room. There was a mirror at the entry and I took the time to check my appearance. Since I was coming straight from office my look was fortunately safe. A black pleated wool and mohair-blend mini dress by Marc Jacobs and black jane leather sandals by Saint Laurent. I took a deep breath and clenched my hand around my J.W ANDERSON moon large leather tote. I slowly opened the sliding door and imagined what my grandmother had in store for me, what did she come up with, what kind of hell has she assigned me to. And as I finally entered there it was: HELL. Looking at me with the same confusing look that I had, it seems like even HELL didn’t expect me to be there.

 

 

 


[1] Sunbae is a the way seniors in company or school are adressed.

[2]  Congdu Maam a famous traditionnal restaurant