Chapter 21- May her heard stay strong?

The heiress's love

Their engagement day finally comes. It is a big event not only for the entertainment world since two popular stars is getting engage but also the huge occasion for the business and political world in South Korea. Both Ji Hyo and Dong Wook did not want to make a big event out of their engagement party but both of their families insisted making it big because the engagement party is mainly for the political and business purposes. This event will mark the uniting of two most wealthy and powerful families in South Korea. The news has been hot for the last few weeks after the representatives of both families openly talked about real backgrounds of Song Ji Hyo and Lee Dong Wook. As expected, the stock value of both families are raising high rocket since the uniting of these two families will ensure the long growth future for their corporations. The engagement party is hold at Lee Dong Wook’s family biggest hotel. The security is tighten up from the night before the event since the guest list consists of top important politicians, wealthy business man and woman, chaebols, heirs, heiress and top celebrities in the country. It is so big of the event that SBS decides to do live recording all day long and Yoo Jae Suk will be the MC for their engagement party.

The guests start coming 30 minutes before the party start. 50 security guards stand as two lines to protect the guests from overexcited audiences. Cameras keep flashing every time the guests step out of their car. The scene looks more like a Busan film festival than an engagement party. Dong Wook together with his family and Ji Hyo’s father are at the hall greeting the guests since earlier today. Ji Hyo just arrived at the parking garage to avoid to flashlight. She is walking toward the entrance with 4 security guards accompany her.

  • Ji Hyo

Song Ji Hyo turns her head back to see who called her.

  • Oh oppa – Ji Hyo says cheerfully after seeing Kim Jong Kook – what are you doing here oppa? Why don’t you come to the party hall? – Ji Hyo asks
  • I have something to talk to you, can we have a minute? –Jong Kook asks
  • Sure – Ji Hyo says while signaling her hand for the security guards leaving the two alone.
  • You look amazing Ji Hyo – Jong Kook says after staring at Ji Hyo from head to toes.
  • Thank you oppa. – JI Hyo smiley says
  • Are you happy Ji Hyo? – Jong Kook asks softly.
  • I’m oppa – Ji Hyo brightly answer.
  • Ji Hyo ah, I know today is not the right time, but I have to tell you something before too late. – Jong Kook says with a soft voice – I love you Ji Hyo ah, I always has been. It’s hurt me so much seeing you with another guy. I drank for 3 days straight after your engagement press confront. I wanted to keep my love for you as a secret for the rest of my life but it’s just too hard – Jong Kook says while the tears start rolling out of his eyes.
  • I know oppa – Ji Hyo says softly while holding Jong Kook’s hand. – I knew your feeling for me but I tried to ignore it. You are a good man, a great one. You are always there for me, protecting me, helping me and I really appreciate that. There were times that I wondered what it would be if we are together but I just can’t imagine that. To me, you have been a good oppa and you always will just my oppa. – Ji Hyo sadly says
  • Don’t you think that you should give us a try to see how it works out? – Jong Kook asks
  • Before, may be but not now oppa. The man is waiting for me on the engagement hall loves me a lot. He trusts me and protects me. He punished people that hurt me. He went extra miles to ensure that I’m happy. I love that man oppa. I can’t disappoint him. I’m sorry oppa. I believe Eun Hye will be a better choice for you. She loves you deeply oppa. I can see that – Ji Hyo says with a tear is about to come out of her eye too.
  • I understand. I’m sorry to put you in this awkward situation before your engagement party. – Jong Kook says
  • It’s ok oppa. Thank you for coming. I have to come in. The party is about to start – Ji Hyo says while walking toward the entrance but a black car with dark tinted windows suddenly appear and run full speed at her. Ji Hyo is in panic, can’t even move her legs and just close her eyes. By the time she opens her eyes, the car already fled away. She is still safe and sound, but on the floor, Kim Jong Kook is laying there with blood all over his body. He was fast enough to push Ji Hyo away from the running car but wasn’t fast enough to rescue himself. Ji Hyo was freaked out and screaming out for help. The security guards quickly run to them and call for ambulance which is parking right on the side of the hotel. Ji Hyo’s father and Dong Wook quickly run to the scene right after hearing the report about the incident. Ji Hyo is crying historically while hugging Jong Kook’s body. The ambulance arrives in just a minute; the pediatric rapidly put Jong Kook in the ambulance. Ji Hyo is jumping to the ambulance to go with Jong Kook but her father quickly grabs her hand and pulls her down.
  •  What are you doing appa? I have to go with Jong Kook oppa – Ji Hyo screams and cries.
  • You can’t go. I know you are worry about Jong Kook but there is nothing you can do at this moment. I will make sure the best Dr. taking care of him – her father says
  • But he needs me next to him appa. I can’t leave him alone appa. He is like that because of me appa. – Ji Hyo cries even more hysterically.

Her father is devastated seeing his daughter like that but he is still stay strong and pulls her out of the ambulance while signaling the ambulance to leave.

  • Choeing-im ah, listen to me. Today is a big day not only for you two but also for our two corporations. If you do not show up today, do you know how bad it will affect our stock and Dong Wook’s family politician career? We can’t handle that kind of problems. – Ji Hyo’s father explains.
  • Is money all you care about? Jong Kook oppa is dying over there and all you can think about is money and reputation? – Ji Hyo screams at her father.
  • Calm down Ji Hyo ah – Dong Wook says while hugging Ji Hyo in his arm – Abeonim, can you please come up first, I will make sure to bring Ji Hyo up there in a little bit – Dong Wook turns to Ji Hyo’s father and says
  • Arraso. Please take care of her – Ji Hyo’s father says while walking away.
  • Ji Hyo ah, listen to me. Are you ok? Are you hurt anywhere? – Dong Wook concerns
  • I’m okay but Jong Kook oppa … Jong Kook … oppa … he hurts …. a … lot. – Ji Hyo keeps on crying – Please take me to the hospital Dong Wook, please.

Dong Wook hugs Ji Hyo even tighter. He feels suffocated seeing Ji Hyo crying hysterically like that.

  • Ji Hyo ah, I promise to take you to the hospital right after the party ok? You heard what your father said. This engagement party is not only for us. It is important for the survival of both our families. I know it is hard but people like us have to think about the bigger picture. Sometime we have to overcome our personal emotion and sacrify our feeling for a bigger purpose. Let’s just get this party over with then we can go and check on Jong Kook hyung ok? The director of that hospital is a friend of my family. I will call him right now to make sure they send the best doctor to take care for hyung ok? – Dong Wook gently comforts Ji Hyo.
  • Why is it so hard to be us Dong Wook? Why can’t we just live for ourselves first before worrying about business or whatsoever? – Ji Hyo is still sobbing
  • Because it is our destiny, love. We were born in wealthy families. We are lucky to live in luxury since we were young so it is our responsibility to maintain the wealth and make our parents happy. Everything has a price honey. Poor people may have to work harder than us to earn money but they can at least feel free to express their emotion but us, we have to try to hide our emotion and maintain our image. It’s just how it works. But thing gonna be ok. I promise. – Dong Wooks says while holding Ji Hyo tightly and rubbing her shoulders
  • I’m still so sad Dong Wook ah.
  • I know. Trust me; I’m also heartbroken seeing you like this. Now let’s go get change and get this party over with ok? – Dong Wook says while carrying Ji Hyo to the dressing room to get change.

They continue the party like nothing happened. Ji Hyo tries to smiles and be happy but she still can’t stop the worry in her mind. She is walking next to Dong Wook but all she is thinking about is Jong Kook’s condition. Everybody is cheering and congratulating on their engagement but all she hears is the echo of Jong Kook confession earlier. He confessed to her and got rejected by her but he still sacrificed his life for her. That really makes her feel guilty. Dong Wook can read the waiver, confusion, and sadness in Ji Hyo eyes and it hurts him badly. Right after the engagement party end, he drives her straight to the hospital where Jong Kook is being treated. The security is tightened in front of Jong Kook operation room. In front of the door, his parents are sitting soullessly waiting for the result.

  • How is he doing abeonim, eomeoni? – Ji Hyo runs to Jong Kook’s parents and asks in worry
  • They said he lost a lot of blood and in critical condition right now. We just have to pray for the surgery to be success. – Jong Kook’s mother says while crying.
  • I’m sorry abeonim, eomeoni. It was all my fault. Oppa is being like that because of protecting me. I’m so sorry. – Ji Hyo sobs
  • It’s not your fault Cheong-im ah. It’s the one that cause the accident fault. We will make sure to make him pay. – Jong Kook’s father tries to comfort Ji Hyo.

They are sitting there for four hours in quiet and praying for Jong Kook condition. The doctors finally come out of the operation room.

  • How is he Doctor? – They rush up to the doctor and asks
  • There are some bone fractures but he is out of danger for now. Just need to rest well and he will be ok.

They are all relieve hearing that but Jong Kook’s mother is suddenly fainted to the ground since her heart is already weak and sitting restlessly for 8 hours straight just makes her condition worst. The doctor and nurse take her to the emergency room while Ji Hyo and Dong Wook stay behind to take care for Jong Kook.

 

In the VIP patient room, Ji Hyo sits next to Jong Kook and holds his hand:

  • Oppa ah, please get well soon. I’m really worry – Ji Hyo whispers to Jong Kook.

 She is so worry about Jong Kook that she forgets her fiancé is standing next to her and witnessing she caring for another man. Dong Wook sadly looks at Ji Hyo. He knows she is in the middle of confusing emotions right now. He knows that she loves him but it still hurts him a little seeing her like that. “Ji Hyo ah, I trust you, but please don’t be waiver” – Dong Wook prays in his heart.

  • Dong Wook ah, do you know before the accident happened Jong Kook oppa actually confessed his feeling for me. – Ji Hyo tells Dong Wook while her eyes still on Jong Kook.

Dong Wook feels a flash of pain run through his heart hearing what Ji Hyo said.

  •  I rejected him of course – Ji Hyo continues – I told him that I loved you and I only saw him as a big brother. But after all that, he still risked his life to protect me. What can I do Dong Wook ah? – Ji Hyo busted out crying again
  • It’s ok Ji Hyo ah. He is ok now. – Dong Wook tries to soften Ji Hyo but he just can’t find the right words to say. What can he says when his fiancé just confessed with him that a man who just risked his life to rescue her is in love with her? Dong Wook always knows that Jong Kook has feeling for Ji Hyo but hearing Jong Kook confessed with her right before their engagement party really puts Dong Wook speechless.
  • My heart is so confused right now Dong Wook ah, what can I do? – Ji Hyo is sobbing
  • I understand. I will leave you here with Jong Kook hyung and try to figure out what your heart really wants. If you want to come back to me, you know I’m always there waiting for you. If you choose Jong Kook hyung, I will also support your decision. Because as long as you happy, it’s all that matter to me Ji Hyo ah – Dong Wook gently says while hugging the crying Ji Hyo in his arms. He lands a soft kiss on Ji Hyo’s forehead and leaves the room with a heavy heart.

Inside the room, Ji Hyo is crying out loud. She doesn’t know what to do anymore. She knows that she just hurted the man that loves her more than anything but she just can’t ignore the man that is laying on the bed who just risked his life for her. There is a thousand thoughts keep running through her head. Ji Hyo spends the next two days in Jong Kook’s hospital room. He is still unconscious. She didn’t even go home. Her security guards brought her clothes to change. She refuses to leave Jong Kook’s side even when she eats. Dong Wook decides not to call or text Ji Hyo because he wants to give her a space to think. She attempted to call and text Dong Wook countless time but she end up didn’t because she still can’t make up her heart.

On the third day, Yoo Eun Hye comes to the hospital right after her filming in Japan. Ji Hyo is flustered seeing Yoo Eun Hye. The woman that Jong Kook loves more than his life and the woman that love him more than her life is now facing each other. Eun Hye asks Ji Hyo to come outside the room to talk.

  • I came here as soon as I could right after I landed in Korea. How is oppa? – Eun Hye asks
  • The doctor says he is stable now just need to rest a few more days then he will be ok. – Ji Hyo answers
  • Oppa … he confessed to you didn’t him? – Eun Hye reluctantly asks
  • How do you know? – Ji Hyo looks at Eun Hye in surprised
  • I asked him to do that. – Eun Hye explains
  • What? …. What you mean? I don’t understand. – Ji Hyo becomes even more confused since she knows Eun Hye has been in love with Jong Kook.
  • Oppa was devastated after hearing your engagement news. He got drunk every day and even though his body was with me but his soul was always elsewhere. I couldn’t stand him being like that so I asked him to confess to you. It didn’t matter if you accepted him or not at least he could get his feeling out of his chest and moved on with his life. I made up my mind and to myself to be ready to leave him if you accept him but in case you reject him. I would still welcome him back with an open arm. – Eun Hye says with a sad voice

Ji Hyo couldn’t say anything. She realizes that Yoon Eun Hye must love Jong Kook a lot that she is willing to leave him just so that he can ease his pain. Just like how Jong Kook sacrificed himself for her happiness, Eun Hye also doesn’t mind to sacrifice herself for his happiness.

  • What do you want to do now unnie? – Eun Hye asks.
  • I don’t know. – Ji Hyo reluctantly answers.
  • Do you love him unnie? – Eun Hye continues.
  • I don’t know if it’s love. I just can’t leave him alone for now.
  • Unnie, please. If you don’t love him please don’t give him hope. Don’t keep staying by his life for now then end up leaving him later. Unlike you, I am always here for oppa and I can ensure to make oppa happy. So please make up your mind. I will come back to the hospital tomorrow. If I see you then, it’s mean you decided to stay with oppa then I will leave him for good. But if I don’t see you, I will take it as you choose Dong Wook and I will ensure you to take a good care for Jong Kook oppa until he gets back to his perfect health. That’s all I have to say. I’m leaving now. Please take good care of oppa for now. – Eun Hye says and leaves.

That night, Ji Hyo stays up all night. She can’t sleep and keep crying next to Jong Kook. “Oppa, what should I do? What should I do oppa ah?” – She keeps repeating that question to the unconscious Kim Jong Kook.