96-

Letting You Go

 

You stood there for a few moments after Kibum had left, to gather your wits about you and to get your breathing back to normal before you returning to the dining room.

“Who was that?” Your mom asked when you finally rejoined her at the table.

“That was Kibum.” You replied, voice still slightly sounding a little breathless but thankfully, your mom didn’t take notice of it.

“Oh? What did he want? How come you didn’t you invite him to join us for dinner?” Your mom asked with just a hint of disapproval in her voice.

“He just came over to tell me something and had to quickly return to his dorm, so that’s why I didn’t invite him to join us.” You explained.

She nodded. “So what did he rush over to tell you?” She enquired, not thinking anything of it until she noticed the pink that spread across your face. “Or is it something private?” She half-teased.

You sputtered, choking on the food that you were chewing on. “Omma!” You whined.

“Relax relax.” She patted your back, a smile still plastered across her face. “You don’t have to tell me if you don’t want to. I won’t force you to tell.”

You ducked your head and kept on eating, trying to ignore your mom’s teasing smile as she watched you. She was clearly enjoying this more than you.

“Omma, do you think I should still be friends with Junhyung?” You suddenly asked, your mouth still half-filled with food.

“Why the sudden question about him?” Your mom asked instead if answering your question, a puzzled look on her face.

“Well, it isn’t actually that sudden. I’ve seen him around when I went to visit Kibum and the rest at their schedule. He’s been trying to get me to give him another chance at being friends again.”  You explained while taking another mouthful of food.

Your mom paused for a moment, observing you with a trace of curiousity. As if she was trying to figure out what was best to say next. “Hmm, well, I don’t think my opinion is important then. What do you feel like doing? Do you want to give him another chance? Are you really able forgive him and trust him again?” She asked you honestly.

You stopped eating and met her gaze, fear and uncertainty filled your eyes. You had to bite your lip to prevent it from quivering. Even though you had been giving a lot of thought to the whole friendship thing with Junhyung, these were the questions had you did not want to think about because it would force you to revisit all the memories and feelings that you have been trying so hard to put behind you.

“There there. You don’t have to answer these questions now.” You mom soothed, pulling you into a hug and patting your head gently. You squeezed your eyes shut to stop yourself from tearing up and willed yourself to calm down by once again burying those memories and feelings.

“But you’ll eventually have to think about them and decide, alright?” She continued in a quiet voice once she felt you relax and you nodded against your mom’s chest. “Now, can you at least tell me what brought this about?” She asked firmly as she pulled back, her hands on both sides of your head as she ducker her head to meet your gaze.

“Junhyung has been trying to get me to meet him because he says that he has some important to tell me. I’ve been trying to decide for a few days already but I can’t seem to settle on an answer. I can’t ask Soojin because she’ll definitely say no and Kibum will probably not want me to meet him either, although he won’t say it directly.” You rattled.

“Ok, so that’s their stand on it. What about yours? What do you want to do?” Your mom cautiously asked, afraid that you might get emotional again.

“Honestly, I’m not too sure what I want. I can’t just forget that he was my best friend for so many years, such feelings just don’t disappear like that. But whenever I think about all the things he did and said, I can’t help but feel that I shouldn’t give him a second chance. I’m so afraid that he’ll hurt me all over again, omma.” You finally admitted, letting yourself get pulled into your mom’s embrace once again.

“Since you can’t decide yet, don’t force yourself to make one now. How about you meeting Junhyung first and listening to what he wants to tell you before making your decision? I’m sure he’d agree to such an arrangement.” Your mom suggested.

You thought about it for a moment before humming your acceptance but frowning almost immediately after. “Why didn’t I think of that?”

You heard a chuckle coming from your mom. “Because you like to over-think things.” She answered simply, rubbing her knuckles on your head.

You pouted in response but didn’t deny it because you knew that it was the truth. You turned your head to the side and planted a kiss on your mom’s cheek. “I love you, omma.”

 

That night, before you slipped into bed, you reached over to your bedside table to take your phone and texted Junhyung.

 

To: Yong Junhyung

My plans for this Friday got postponed. Do you still want to meet? I’ll listen to what you want to tell me first before deciding whether we can still be friends.

 

A couple of minutes later, your phone beeped, indicating that you had gotten a text, but you were already sound asleep.

 

=======

Sorry for going missing for a few days. I've been rather busy with life these few days so I didn't have the time to sit down and write. So many people I know are graduating!! If you are too, congratulations!! ^_^