74-

Letting You Go

You walked back into the room and was immediately bombarded with questions from Soojin. “Why didn’t you tell us that you met them earlier? I thought you said that they still didn’t know?”

“Unni! Calm down. I wanted to tell you just now but I kept getting interrupted.” You explained.

“Oh.. sorry! I guess I got a little too excited.”She said sheepishly.

Before you could say anything else, the nurse knocked on the door and came into the room to inform you that patient visiting hours were over already. You told her to give you a few minutes and she nodded and left.

“Omma, will you be alright staying here by yourself?” You asked.

“Deh, if I need anything, I can just call one of the nurses. Don’t worry about me. It’s late already, Minhyuk needs to rest too.” She reassured.

“Ok. See you tomorrow then. Have a good rest.”

“Good night, omonim.” Soojin and Seyong said.

“Thank you, the both of you, for coming to visit.”

“Please don’t thank us, omonim. We’ll come back again soon. Please get well soon.” Seyong said.

“Where will you and Minhyuk be staying?” Soojin asked when all of you had left the room.

“Oh, the same place as last time. I called the ahjumma just now already and she said that I could have the place because no one was using it.”

She nodded in understanding. “Ahh.. How will you be going there then?”

“We’ll be taking a taxi down.” You smoothly lied. You were going to take the bus so that you could save some money but you knew that if you had told Soojin this, she would have insisted on paying the fare for you.

You made your way towards the bus stop with Minhyuk walking beside you once you were sure that Soojin and Seyong had left. You noticed Minhyuk yawning while waiting for the bus to arrive.

“Sleepy?” You bend down to his eye-level and asked.

He shook his head but yawned immediately after that. You smiled and he pouted, not to happy with the fact that his body had betrayed him.

You chuckled and softly tapped his nose. “I know you’re trying to be strong for mommy but you’re still my baby boy. Lets get you into the carrier so you can sleep. Ok?”

He remained silent for a while so you thought that he was going to remain stubborn and refuse. But when he yawned again, he looked up at you and nodded glumly.

“Aww.. Don’t be upset. You’re still mommy’s perfect little angel. There’s absolutely nothing wrong with being sleepy or hungry. Ok?” You enforced so that he understood. “Come on, lets get you all strapped up before the bus comes.” You said when he finally nodded and stopped being upset at himself.

Thankfully, the bus was rather empty so you managed to get a seat and stow your luggage without much difficulty. Minhyuk was already fast asleep by the time the bus came so you tried your best not to wake him up as you settled in your seat. You took out your handphone and saw that you had a text from a number that you didn’t recognize.

From: -random 10 digit number-

Hey you. This is my number.

 

You figured that it was Kibum’s number but you still couldn’t be sure so you typed a quick reply back.

 

To: -random 10 digit number-

You’re Kibum right?

 

From: -random 10 digit number-

No. I was stalking you outside your mom’s room just now -.-

 

You laughed silently to yourself. Your phone vibrated again as you got another text. It was from Kibum again.

 

From: -random 10 digit number-

And why Kibum? Not ‘cupcake’ anymore?

 

You smiled and shook your head. You could almost see him pouting while typing that out.

 

To: Cupcake

I think we should be careful what we call each other now especially since you’re so popular now. If it makes it any better, I saved your number as cupcake :) Anyway, the doctor told me that my mom has pneumonia but she is responding well to the antibiotics. So she’s going to be alright. I just need to make sure that she eats well. What happened to Jinki oppa?

 

From: Cupcake

I feel a tiny bit better but I’d really rather you call me that when we’re alone. I feel weird when you call me by my name :/ Anyway, Jinki hyung is down with swine flu and since Jjong just recovered from it just a few days ago, manager hyung wanted all of us to get tested as a precaution. Our results came back negative so we’re alright. Hyung wants me to tell you that he’ll be fine and not to worry.

 

To: Cupcake

I won’t worry too much because I know you’ll be taking good care of him :)

 

You looked up from your phone after sending that text and immediately realized that your stop was the next one. You quickly dropped your phone into Minhyuk’s baby bag and went to retrieve your luggage.

The walk home was more nostalgic than familiar.  While the surroundings made you confront both happy as well as painful memories, oddly enough, you found yourself smiling and remembering more of the happy times. You briefly wondered if that meant that you had finally accepted and brought closure to your past.

Many things in the neighbourhood had changed since then though. You didn’t recognise a number of shops and you were pretty sure that there were many more family restaurants now than before. You slowly walked down the path and alleyways while pulling your luggage behind you as you took it in all.

You entered the house after paying the deposit and collecting the keys from the ahjumma. She didn’t comment or look shocked to see Minhyuk strapped to your chest and you felt slightly grateful for that. You had expected everything to be covered in a thin film of dust like the before but you found that it was strangely clean. Must be the ahjumma. You thought and made a mental note to thank her the next time you saw her.

You changed the sheets on the bed and cleaned Minhyuk with a moist towel before dressing him in his favourite pyjamas and tucking him in. You took a quick hot shower to relax yourself but was too exhausted to do anything else.

You remembered your phone just as you were about to get into bed and had to fish around Minhyuk’s baby bag for a bit before you found it. There were three new messages.

From: Cupcake

Pfft. Hyung can take care of himself. Are you staying at the hospital tonight?

 

From: Cupcake

You there? Are you asleep?

 

From: Cupcake

I guess you’re asleep. Good night pumpkin. Have a good sleep.

 

You couldn’t help the smile that spread across your face when you saw that he had called ‘pumpkin’. You missed it and liked it more than you would care to admit.

 

To: Cupcake

Sorry cupcake. I was busy settling my accommodation. I’m staying at the same house that I used to stay before going to LA to study. I’ll be going to bed after this. I hope you’re sleeping already. Good night, cupcake! Have a good rest!

 

To: Cupcake

Oh and one last thing… I’m glad that you’re still the same you :)

 

You laid on your side and watched Minhyuk as he slept peacefully. Your idle mind immediately started to think about the worries that you had tried not to think about during the day. You unknowingly furrowed your brows as you dwelled on them. Your biggest worry was definitely about money. The plane tickets and the deposit for the house had already used a good portion of your savings. The rest was meant for transport and daily expenses. You didn’t know how you were going to pay for your mom’s hospital bills. You wanted to find a job but you had to find someone to take care of Minhyuk while you were gone. You kept thinking about everything until sleep finally came to you.

 

===========

I know many of you are still waiting on Junhyung's magical appearance. I already know when he is going to appear and how he will appear. I just need to set up the story to flow into that scene. I could always just start the chapter off at that particular scene where she magically meets Junhyung but I hate that it wouldn't have any flow to it. 

I've aleady finished writing the next chapter and will continue writing the following one. I might be nice and update the next chapter in a few hours but I'll have to see my progress on the following chapter first. Anyway, I think most of you already know my writing style so please try and bear with me. I'm not dragging this out on purpose to torture you =/ All I can say is that once the drama starts... it will really stir up a lot of trouble.