1- A New Start

Letting You Go

You stood in the center of your room and did a slow 360° turn, willing your brain to memorise everything. You didn’t know when you’d be able to see your room again.

“-----! Are you done? Junhyung is here!” Your mom called out, breaking you from your thoughts.

You sighed, knowing that you’d miss everything. “Coming, omma!” You picked up your bag and headed out of your room to see Junhyung standing in the living room talking to your mom.

“Oppa! Are you all packed?” You ran up to him and hugged his arm.

“Yup.” He nodded, gesturing towards his luggage that was placed beside yours at the front door.

“------, call me when you reach Seoul alright?” Your mom’s voice was filled with worry and sadness.

You let go of Junhyung’s arm and reached out to hug your mom tightly while rubbing her back comfortingly. “I will. Don’t worry too much, I’ll be fine. Junhyung oppa will be with me anyway. I love you and I’ll miss you, omma.”

“I love you too, sweetheart. I’m just sorry I couldn’t provide you with more.” She pulled away from the hug and kissed you on the cheek.

Before you could reply, your mom shuffled the both of you out the door. “Alright kids, get going now. You don’t want to end up missing the bus.”

“Deh, omonim. Take care.” Junhyung bowed slightly and left first taking your luggage together with his.

You lingered for a while longer and pulled your mom into another hug. “Please promise me you’ll take better care of your health, omma. You’ll always be the best.”

“Is my daughter mothering me now?” Your mom pulled back slightly and gave you a raised eyebrow look. You chuckled. “I can take care of myself, don’t you worry. You just study hard and do well ok?”

“I will. Bye omma.” You took a few steps back and waved. You tried your best to smile but tears were already filling your eyes. You turned around quickly, hoping that your mom did not see the tears, and quickly caught up with Junhyung.

The walk to the busstop was quiet. Junhyung saw your tears and wanted to give you a hug but he knew that right now, all you wanted was some time and space so that you could organize your thoughts.

The bus eventually arrived. You went up the bus first while Junhyung helped stow your luggage. You were always grateful for having such a wonderful best friend. You liked him in secret but was determined to never let him know because you knew that he didn’t feel the same way. He told you everything and that included his one-sided crush on your neighbour. It broke his heart when he got rejected by her but you were there to help him get back on his feet. It was then that you decided that you would bury your feelings deep within your heart and just remain his best friend. 

Junhyung plopped down beside you just as you let out a soft sigh. He glanced at you with a worried frown. “Oppa…” “Were you thinking about what your mom said before you left?” He offered.

You rested your head on his shoulder and nodded slightly. “I was wondering whether things would be different if he hadn’t left. Omma became so weak and has never been the same after he left. Why did he abandon us?”

Junhyung your hair gently, “I know you’re hurting now, but there’s no point worrying about things you can’t change. When he left all those years ago, he stopped being part of your life but I’ll never do that to you. I’ll always be here for you.” He said before pressing a kiss on your head.

“Thank you, oppa.” You smiled up at him, wrapped your hands around his arm and snuggled closer to him, feeling tired.

“Just sleep, -----ah. I’ll wake you when we reach Seoul.”

Junhyung gazed warmly at your sleeping face, a soft smile appearing on his face.

When he first met you, he remembered thinking how anyone could talk so much. His parents were always going away for business and left his in your mom’s care. Everyone felt awkward around him because he rarely talked; everyone except you. You were cheerful all the time and practically talked enough for the both of you.

The days would pass with you talking and playing with your dolls while he would just sit there and listen. He couldn’t remember when exactly he decided to open up but there was just something about you that made people feel so comfortable to be around. You made people let their guard down and share things that they normally wouldn’t tell anyone.

You were the first person to make him feel liked he was wanted. The first person to make him feel loved. You were always there for him when he needed you and you were always the one who took care of him when he was sick. Then you were there to help him pick up the pieces when he was rejected by the girl he had secretly loved for 3 years. He really wouldn’t have made it so far in life if he hadn’t met you.

He pushed your head back gently as it was about to slip off his shoulder, took out his mp3 and listened to his favourite rap songs while you slept. He was determined to succeed at his dream of becoming a rapper.