41-

Letting You Go

 

A few days later, it was 8:30 in the morning and you had just finished your breakfast and a warm glass of milk. You were about to wash your plate and cup when the door bell rang. Kibum had left about 10 minutes ago because he had a meeting to attend, and you wondered if he had forgotten to take something.

You strode to the door and opened it without checking the peephole. “Did yo-“ You began, only to cut yourself off when you saw that the person at the door wasn’t Kibum. “Oh. Sorry.”

The delivery man, who had a parcel in his hands, flashed you a smile. “Delivery for Mr. Kim Kibum.”

“He’s not around but I’ll receive it for him.” You responded.

“Ok. Sign here and here please.” He instructed.

You signed the invoice and handed it back to him as he handed the parcel over to you. He gave you a copy of the signed invoice and thanked you before leaving. You wondered what was in the parcel as you shut the door. It wasn’t too bulky and it was heavy either. You gave a box a careful shake and heard whatever was inside thud softly against the box.

Before you could do anything else, your eyes fell on the clock and you gasped. You were going to be late for work if you didn’t hurry. You quickly placed the box on the dining table and did the dishes as fast as you could manage before rushing out of the house.

You had an exceptionally busy that day at work. The owner’s son had suddenly fallen ill so she had to leave the shop early in the morning to take care of him. She had considered closing the store for the day but because there were deliveries coming in and pre-scheduled orders going out as well, she had no choice but you leave the shop in your care.

You handled the deliveries when they came in and when orders had to be delivered or were collected, you made sure that they went out on time. Most of the day was spent tending to walk-in customers though and you barely had the time to breathe. By the time the day ended and the owner came back to close the shop, you were exhausted and dreaded the short walk back.

When you finally reached the apartment that evening, you headed straight for the kitchen found Kibum preparing dinner just like he did everyday.  You rested against the doorway to the kitchen and waited for him to notice you.

“Oh. You’re back! Why didn’t you say anything?” He asked when he finally turned around from the stove.

You smiled wearily at him.

“Hmm. Long day huh? You look like you’re about to pass out.” He said before turning back to you. “But you’re not going to right?” He asked anxiously.

A soft chuckle escaped your lips and you shook your head. “No. I’m fine. Just had a really long day.”

He nodded. “Hmm. Ok, go wash up first then. Dinner will be ready by the time you’re done.” He urged.

While having dinner, you told him about your crazy day while he told you about how his meeting went and how he was going to help with the planning of an event. Your eyes wondered and landed on the box at the end of the table.

“Oh! That’s right. That came for you this morning.” You pointed to the said parcel.

“Mmm?” He mumbled, having just taken a mouthful of food. You waited for him to chew and swallow his food.

“Yeah, I saw. It’s for you.” He took the parcel and passed it to you.

“For me? Why? It’s not my birthday.” You had always liked presents and surprises but you really didn’t see this coming.

“I didn’t get this for your birthday. I just got it because I thought you would find it useful.” He shrugged.

You gave him a curious look. “Can I open it now?”

He nodded and you got up to look for something to break the tape that was sealing the parcel. You broke the tape with the house key and opened the box to reveal a weird looking belt that opened up in the center.

You gave Kibum a puzzled look. “Erm…”

He stood up and walked towards you, taking the belt from your hands. “I found it online. It’s music belt for your belly.” He stood behind you and reached around you to place the belt across your belly before securing the belt in place using the Velcro strips. “There. Now, when you listen to music, your baby can listen with you too. Just plug this into your mp3 player and you’re all set.” You listened closely as he explained.

“Umm, Kibummie?” You said awkwardly. “I don’t have an mp3 player.”

He gave you an amused look and walked off to his room before appearing again. “Here.” He handed his mp3 player to you. “You can use mine. You can listen to everything that is in there but the “angel” playlist is especially for the baby, so listen to that when you have the belt plugged in. It has all the classical music that was recommended.” He informed.

You took the mp3 player from him and stared at it, you were still listening to him but you felt very emotional all of a sudden and started sobbing.

“What’s wrong? Do you not like it? Or did I overdo things again?” He asked, worriedly.

You shook your head and closed the distance between you and him, pulling him into a hug. “Thank you, Kibummie. I don’t know why I’m crying, I’m just touched and thankful. Must be the hormones.” You sniffled and tried to wipe your tears away with the back of your hands but he stopped you.

He cupped your face and used his thumb to wipe your tears away. “Silly --------. Haven’t I always said that I would help you?” He ruffled your hair and you sniffled again.

“Come on. Let’s quickly finish dinner, so we can test the belt out.” He said, excitedly while leading you back to the dining table.