82-

Letting You Go

 

You unconsciously pressed Minhyuk closer of your chest as the shock started to wear off. Your eyes darkened a little as you finally managed to looked away. “What do you want now?”

“Can we talk inside?” He fidgeted awkwardly as the smirk slipped off his face when he suddenly became aware of his surroundings.

You raised your eyebrows at his suggestion. You didn’t think that he would have that many things to say that would warrant you to invite him inside but you were too tired to fight him on that. You sighed as you walked towards the door.

He moved to the side so that you could have access to the electronic keypad to unlock the door but you could feel him looking over your shoulder as you were about to key in the code. You glanced up and saw him quickly turn his head in the other direction. “You really shouldn’t peak at other people’s security codes.” You commented flatly.

“Well, I wouldn’t have to peak if I thought you’d tell me if I asked.” He stated.

You eyed him suspiciously. “And why would you need it?” You challenged, giving him a hard look.

“Well…” He began but was abruptly cut off by you.

“You know what? I don’t even want to hear the answer to that. Just know that you’re never going to get the code.” You used your body to shield the keypad and quickly keyed in the code.

“4 numbers? I’d figure it out.” He said smugly and you mentally cursed the fact that the buttons emitted sounds when pressed.

“Well, good luck with that.” You replied, unimpressed. You were confident that he would never be able to figure out the 4 numbers, seeing how they were only of significance to you and Kibum.

“So… are you going to come in or not?” You asked, holding the door open as he stood there, perhaps just a little puzzled at your tone. Somehow, being around him made you jumpy and irritable. You didn’t feel like yourself and you didn’t like it at all.

“Wait here for a bit.” You told him in the living room and motioned for him to sit on the sofa before heading off to the bedroom. You changed Minhyuk out of his clothes into him pajamas, taking extra care so as not to wake him up, before you tucked him into bed.

You weren’t the slightest bit surprised when you looked up and saw Junhyung leaning against the doorframe and looking in. He never did well with instructions so there was no reason for him to suddenly start following yours.  

You tugged on his jacket sleeve when you were leaving the room so that he would move enough for you to shut the door and didn’t let go until you reached the living room once again. You pushed him down onto the sofa, making sure that he sat down this time. “Do you want anything to drink?” You asked out of common courtesy, to which he shook his head.

You settled in the armchair beside him. “Alright. So start talking then.”

“Is that really your son?” He asked instead.

You nodded somewhat curtly and you could see something in his eyes changed. Was it fear?

“I-Is he….?” The strain in his voice was painfully obvious as pointed to himself but couldn’t bring himself to say the word.

You sighed. “You don’t have to worry. I still have the agreement from that time. I’m not going to break it.” You assured.

“So, he really is… mine?” His voice came out sounding strangled.

You furrowed your eyebrows. “No. He’s mine.” You were slightly surprised at the amount of finality in your voice but you were proud of yourself. Minhyuk was your son and no one else’s. Of course, he was also legally Kibum’s son but that was something that Junhyung really didn’t need to know.

“Okok. Let’s not discuss that now. Let’s talk about you instead.” He backed off the topic, sensing that you were about to flare up at him again.

“And what about me?” You asked tiredly.

“Where did you go?”

“I don’t understand why that is so important to you. It certainly did not matter to you when I left.” You replied in a soft voice.

He let out a short breath. “I guess I do have some explaining to do. Well, for me, things in Xing weren’t as perfect as I let on. Because I was added to a group that was already popular, the other members liked to make it very difficult for me and I had no choice but to take everything. I was so frustrated on the inside but I couldn’t talk to anyone about it so I guess I took it out on you. I know it’s a stupid reason and sounds like a lame excuse and I’m not asking you to forgive me just because I was having a tough time but I hope you can just find it in your heart to not hate me.”

He paused and looked up at you with hope in his eyes. You kept your eyes on your hands that were clasped in your lap so you didn’t see it but you could hear it in his voice.

“Anyway, things didn’t turn out too well with Xing after that and when everything fell apart, I realized how much of a jerk I’ve been to you and when I finally got the courage to come and apologize, all I found was an empty apartment. The ahjumma said she didn’t know where you went. It was like you disappeared. Then, I remembered the voicemail that you left me a couple of weeks earlier. The one with you saying goodbye.” He cast a glance at you for confirmation before continuing. “Then, everything just clicked into place. I knew at that point that you had left Seoul and gone somewhere. I tried to ask your mom but she refused to tell me anything. The worst part was that she knew what I had done to you but yet she wasn’t even angry at me. She just said that she couldn’t tell me anything and that you needed time and space.” He sighed.

“I really felt like the most horrible person in the world because of that. I wanted to go after you but I didn’t even know where to start looking. I wanted to see you again, but more than anything, I wanted to hear your voice once more so I tried calling your old number but the calls never got through. I think it was around that time that I ran into Soojin outside a restaurant. I tried to ask her for information about you but she also wouldn’t tell me. She just flat out refused to say anything to me and then this guy appeared from out of nowhere, I think he was her boyfriend, and then all of a sudden, after Soojin whispered something to him, he became really angry and threatened to beat me up if he ever saw me again.” You almost burst out laughing just imagining the bewildered expression on Junhyung’s face when that happened but you managed to control yourself by biting the insides of your cheek.

“At that time, I felt so lost and alone and it was only then that I realized that you must have felt the same when I left.” He admitted, sadly. “I truly am sorry for everything that I’ve done and said. I know it’s going to take time for you to forgive me and trust me again. I’ll wait. Just give me a chance to make it right again?”

You didn’t say anything for a few moments, choosing instead to stay silent as you pondered about the implications of what he was saying. Wasn’t this what I’ve been waiting for– an apology? Then why do I not feel happy about it? Am I willing to leave 7 years of friendship behind? What happens now?

“I need some time to think about it.” You let out a sigh as you rubbed your temples. This was just too much to deal with for one day.

“Ok, I understand. Can you at least answer a few of my questions?” He tried to probe again.

You knew that he wouldn’t stop asking until he got his answers. Or even worse, he might start trying to find out on his own by asking the SHINee members, just like he did with Leeteuk. You couldn’t let that happen. “LA.”

A look of confusion flashed across his face. Normally, it would have been cute but right now, it just served to add to the headache that you were starting to have. “That’s where I went. LA.” You explained and watched as understanding crossed his face for a brief moment before he furrowed his brows.

“Did you really have to go that far?” You didn’t know why he sounded upset and you didn’t want to know either.

“I was given a scholarship to go over and study there.” You explained.

His eyes widened slightly. “Oh wow. How much exactly did I miss out on?” He hadn’t meant for you to hear that as he mumbled to himself under his breath but you did. You chose to press your lips into a thin line instead of answering him though.

“What about SHINee?”

“What about them?” You asked back.

“How did you get to know them?”

“I got to know Kibum first on the flight to LA and then through him, the rest of the members as well.” You said simply. “Are you done with the questions? It’s been a long day for me and it’s late. You should go.”

“One last one. Who is Leeteuk hyung to you?” He said quickly.

“A very nice oppa.” You answered a little too quickly, raising more suspicion in Junhyung even though you had no idea that you did. “Ok, I’ve answered your questions. Please go now.”

“Alright, but please think about what I said earlier. I really mean it.”

You nodded.

“I’ll see myself out. Goodnight, -------ah.” He said softly before standing up and walking towards the door.

You only stood up to switch off all the lights and head into the bedroom when you heard the door click shut. You had even more to things to think about now as you took your pajamas and went to the bathroom for a warm shower.

Later, as you were about to drift into dreamland, you briefly wondered why neither your mom nor Soojin nor Seyong had mentioned anything about Junhyung asking about you before you decided that you knew the reason why…

 

===============

HEY ALL YOU WONDERFUL LOVELY PEOPLE :)

I'M BACK!!!!!!!!!!!! [Sherlock-style!] 

Haha. Ok, not quite, but hopefully, you get what I mean. The huge exam is OVER but the bad news is that I might actually have to retake it because of one TINY component that I feel I didn't do too well in :( to be me :((

Anyhow, I'm back to writing and updating! I shall try to finish up this story asap without any more delays! It was actually quite interesting to try and start writing again after not touching or thinking about the story for the last 2 weeks. I almost forgot what I was supposed to write! =/

Enjoy this somewhat-longer-than-normal chapter update :) I'm going to fall into and become one with my bed now.