52-

Letting You Go

 

A whole month flew by after you and Kibum took Minhyuk home. It was incredible how such a teeny weeny human being could amount to be such a handful. Between Kibum and you, the both of you barely had time to breathe. Kibum was already juggling school work as well as his training and now, he also had to play the role of a dad.

You, on the other hand, had did not have to go to school yet but you knew why some women actually consider being a mom a full-time job. Your life was a blur of washing bottles, doing the laundry, feeding and burping Minhyuk every 3-4 hours, and of course, changing diapers. It didn’t help that you had to keep waking up in the middle of the night too. Needless to say, Kibum did his best to help. He went back to taking charge of the meals, with the exception of lunch, and helped to take care of Minhyuk whenever he could, so that you could get some rest.

If there ever was to be a time that you felt exceptionally grateful to have him around, it was now. But you had to draw the line when he offered to wake up for Minhyuk’s middle-of-the-night feedings. It wasn’t that you didn’t need the sleep and neither was it because you didn’t appreciate his help, but rather because you knew that he was still waking up early in the mornings to go to school to practice. In fact, if anything, it seemed like he was practicing even harder and a lot more often nowadays.

You were in your room burping Minhyuk after feeding him when you heard the jingling of keys. You knew that Kibum was back but you didn’t call out to him because you didn’t want to frighten Minhyuk. Kibum came to find you soon enough anyway. He entered your room silently, thinking that Minhyuk was asleep but when he saw that he was actually awake, he came up behind you and placed a soft kiss onto Minhyuk’s forehead.

“How’s my little angel today?” He asked and Minhyuk responded with a smile that lit up his whole face, making both you and Kibum smile as well.

“He’s been good. He’s in a great mood today, smiling all the time when he’s awake.” You answered for him.

“That’s good. How are you?”

You gave him a small smile. “I’m as good as I can be.”

He snickered. “That bad huh?”

You pouted and he ruffled your hair. “I’ll go get started on dinner now but I’ll give you a massage later. Okay?”

You grinned and nodded. That would be perfect since your shoulders and arms were aching from all the washing and also from carrying Minhyuk all the time. After Kibum had left the room, you continued what you were doing earlier, which was patting Minhyuk’s back gently to try and get him to burp.

You didn’t know how long it was before you managed to burp Minhyuk and then coax him back to sleep. He was such a happy baby that sometimes, he just simply refused to go to sleep and was just contented to look at you and smile or laugh. At those times, you felt frustrated but yet couldn’t bear to show it, so you always ended up rocking him to sleep, no matter how long it took.

When you finally left your bedroom, the sky was already beginning to darken and the dining table was already set. Kibum had cooked your favourite pasta for dinner! You were standing there staring at the food on the table when Kibum came out of the kitchen with a bowl in his hands.

“Oh good, just in time. Is Minhyuk finally asleep?” He asked.

“Yup. He went into one of his happy moods again and refused to close his eyes. I think it’s your fault this time. You came in and made him all smiley just when I was about to lull him to sleep.” You complained.

Kibum placed the bowl down on the table and raised his hands in defence. “Hey. Don’t blame me. All I did was say hi. It’s not my fault that he likes me so much.”

You let out a short laugh but sighed immediately after. “We need to figure something out though. I can possibly be doing this all the time. My arms are about to fall off.” You pouted.

“Alright alright. We will but lets have dinner first. This is yours.” He guided you to your seat and gently pushed you down onto the chair.

You sat with a gentle plop and looked at the bowl that Kibum had set down on the table a few moments ago. “Seaweed soup?” You cocked your head. “Is it someone’s birthday?” You asked.

He gave you a really amused look and shook his head. “It’s your birthday, silly. Have you really forgotten?”

You eyes widened. “Oh… It’s just that I’ve been really busy and haven’t been taking note of the dates and anyway, didn’t we already celebrate my birthday before?”

“Technically, I only gave you your birthday present early, we didn’t actually celebrate it that day. But lets not debate about that now. Eat! Before the pasta gets too cold.” He urged.

You twirled the pasta with your fork and took a mouthful. “Mmmm! I missed this so much! It’s really delicious! Thanks, cupcake!”

“Anything for you, pumpkin.” He smiled. “And slow down! Chew your food or you’ll choke!” He nagged when he saw you chomping down the food. You hadn’t realized how hungry you were until now.

After dinner, the both of you settled down on the couch and watched some television. Well, actually, it was more of you watching the television while Kibum gave you the massage he promised you earlier. This was yet another skill which he possessed and was just brilliant at. He carefully kneaded your stiff muscles to loosen them and very soon, you felt like you were a new person again.

Kibum had left you to go wash his hands and get a glass of water when the lights in the living room suddenly went out. You blinked a few times and wondered what happened. It wasn’t a blackout because the television was still running and then you saw Kibum take the remote control and turn the television off as well. He came and sat beside you on the couch and then held out his hands to reveal a muffin with a candle stuck in the middle of it. He lit the candle and then started singing you a birthday song in a way that only he could.

You looked up at him and your eyes locked with his. His gaze was so soft that you blushed slightly pink and wanted to look away but you couldn’t. That was the thing about him, he had the ability to draw you in and mesmerize you with the simplest of things he did, like when he smiled or laughed or was concentrating on something really important. He was that attractive and it was something that you never really get used to.

The song ended and he smiled at you expectantly. You closed your eyes, finally able to break the eye contact, and made your three birthday wishes before blowing out the candle.

“What did you wish for?” He asked curiously.

“I’ll tell you two of them but the third is a secret.” You offered and he nodded enthusiastically. “My first wish was for Minhyuk to be strong, healthy and happy.” Kibum nodded again but didn’t say anything so you continued. “My second wish was for you to be healthy and happy as well, and for your band to become very popular when you debut.”

You smiled at Kibum and saw that he had a rather serious and intense look on his face. He lowered his hands and moved the muffin to his side before slowly leaning towards you. His face was coming closer to yours and you felt your face heat up even more. You were thankful that he wouldn’t be able to see it under the cover of darkness. You squeezed you eyes shut automatically as he came even nearer and expected him to give you a kiss on your lips but at the last moment, he changed his mind and kissed your forehead instead.

“I am happy already and I’m also really lucky to have met you. Thank you for being born today, pumpkin. Happy Birthday.” He said softly and then quickly changed the mood. “Ok! You have to eat your muffin now!”

You were still stunned from the almost kiss when Kibum practically shoved the muffin in front of your face all of a sudden. You stared at the muffin blankly, not really registering what he wanted you to do.

You reached out and took the muffin from him when he pushed it towards you again. At this point, you managed to snap out of your dazed state and pinched a small bit of the muffin to taste. It was your favourite, blueberry! And to top it off, it was dusted lightly with cinnamon flavoured icing sugar. It was perfect.

“Where did you get this? It’s heavenly!” You exclaimed.

“I would love to say that I baked it. But I didn’t. I got the muffin from the café around the block but I did add the cinnamon sugar on the top.” He admitted sheepishly.

“Oh, it’s alright!! It’s still perfect and the cinnamon only made it so much better. You need to taste it too!” You pinched off another part of the muffin and fed it to him.

In the end, despite Kibum’s protests about snacking at night, the both of you finished the muffin together before being interrupted by Minhyuk’s crying and having to go be a parent again.

 

==================

Omg guys, I'm seriously stressed out right now. I'm having the biggest headache in the world right now and I'm up to my eyeballs trying to plan for all the New Year celebrations.

I hate to to this to all of you but I may not be able to be as regular with my updates for the next few days. At least until all the festivities end for me. I'll still try my best to write and update but I hate to rush and produce horrible chapters :( so I hope you all understand!

Sorry again!!!!!! I hope everyone has a wonderful new year!!!

Btw, I don't know how many of you all actually watched the SBS Gayo Daejun but I felt really disppointed with it. I already missed the KBS one and will miss MBC's one tomorrow (or rather later today, it's 3:20am already!!).

Ok, I'm going to write as much as I can before it hurts too much to think. Bye for now!!

 

PS: BEAST won the Song of the Year at KBS. CONGRATS!! :)