38-

Letting You Go

 

Kibum came back out 5 minutes later holding a stack of books and brochures. You looked at him with a puzzled expression as sat down beside you. “What are those for?”

“For me to read.” He said simply. “I have to know what to expect if I’m going to be of any help to you and I really want to be able to help.” He gave you that warm smile of his again.

“Is that why you didn’t correct Dr. Reed earlier? When he implied that you were my husband?” You felt a little shy to mention it.

“I just thought it would be easier this way since I’m always going to be around you. Unless you mind of course, then I could always correct him next time.” He quickly added the latter part, afraid that you might take offense.

You found it exceptionally sweet though, for him to be so considerate. You had been worried about how to explain your situation to your doctor but now, that problem was solved. “No, I don’t mind at all.” You said, gratefully.

The both of you did not head back to the apartment straight after the appointment. Kibum had “tricked” you into going to the mall with him. He had suggested going to the mall for lunch since it wasn’t too far from the hospital but what he didn’t mention was that he was planning to use the time after lunch to drag you into every single clothes store in the mall!

You knew that he liked fashion and had style just from the way he dressed but you never expected him to enjoy shopping this much. Your feet were killing you and you weren’t even the one rummaging through the seemingly endless racks of clothes to pick out suitable clothes. It wasn’t that you didn’t try to help, but after getting all your choices rejected by him even before you could try them on, you gave up picking out your own clothes and just waited for him to pile you with clothes to try on.

“Here. Take these and go try them on.” He handed over an armful of clothes.

You took them and stalked off to the changing room. There was just no arguing with him when he was so… commanding. You had already been to 12 different changing rooms… or was it 15, and tried on numerous tops, skirts, pants, shorts, dresses and even shoes! The thought of it just made you sigh. You had never particularly loved or hated shopping and but what you didn’t really enjoy today was the fact that he was making you go into all the high-end stores and then paying for everything! You felt like you were exploiting him for his money. 

After going into 5 more stores, Kibum finally announced that that was it for today. You wanted to ask him what he meant by “for today” but you had a feeling that you really didn’t want to hear the answer to that. You were messaging your aching legs when the both of you were on the bus when you heard him chuckle. “Was it really that tiring?”

You crinkled your nose. “In case you forgot, I am pregnant. I get tired easily.”

“Oh! I totally forgot about the second point.” He became worried in an instant. You pressed your lips together in a thin line and looked out of the window at the passing view.

“Are you upset?” He asked.

You nodded.

“About the shopping?” He asked again.

You nodded yet again, still staring out the window. You heard him shift slightly in his seat but he didn’t probe any further. You were glad that he didn’t because you really weren’t in the mood to talk.

The atmosphere between the two of you remained tense even while the both of you were walking back from the bus stop. Kibum was trying to find a way to cheer you up when he saw an ice-cream parlour up ahead.

“Do you want some ice-cream?” His voice sounded unsure as he didn’t know if you would respond.

“Where??” You perked up immediately.

“Stay here. I’ll be right back.” He said, glad that he managed to brighten your mood.

He came back with a chocolate and a vanilla ice-cream cone in each hand. He handed the chocolate ice-cream cone to you but you shook your head and reached out to pluck the vanilla ice-cream cone out of his other hand.

“But that’s mine.” He protested, although somewhat weakly.

You quickly took a bite of your ice-cream and it too for good measure. “Too bad! It’s mine now. Vanilla is my favourite ice-cream flavour.” You grinned.

He chuckled. “So ice-cream is all it takes, huh?” You looked at him, puzzled, not following what he was saying. “To cheer you up.” He explained.

You stuck your tongue out at him and saw his barely touched ice-cream. “Do you not like chocolate?”

“It’s my favourite! But I’m on a diet.” He said sheepishly.

You laughed out loud. “Are you sure you’re not a girl? You LOVE shopping and you’re actually on a diet?! You make me seem like a guy!”

“No way! I’m definitely a man.” He protested.

“Mm-hmm. If you say so.” You spun around to face him while laughing and didn’t see the person cycling towards you.

You heard the frantic ringing of the bicycle bell and looked back only to see that the cyclist coming at you. There was just no way you could move out of the way in time so you squeezed your eyes shut and braced yourself mentally for the impact. You felt an arm wrap around your waist and a thug before you landed against something warm and soft.  You opened your eyes to find yourself against Kibum’s chest and when you looked up, your face was just centimetres away from his. You blushed darkly and pushed against his chest, trying to get out of his hold, but he was stronger than he looked.

“See. I’m the man.” He smirked before letting you go.

You turned even redder, if that was physically possible. “T-thanks.”

He wrapped his fingers around your wrist and gently pulled you in the direction of the apartment. “Let’s go. Better stay close to me though, I don’t want you to get run over again.” He lightly teased.

By the time the two of you reached the apartment, the both of you had finished your ice-cream cones. Kibum had offered to help you sort out all your newly bought clothes while you showered since he knew that you were tired.

He was still at it even after you had finished showering and Skyping with Soojin. You padded sleepily into your room and snuggled under the covers while watching Kibum at work. “You should leave it. I can do that tomorrow. You must be tired too.” You mumbled.

“I’m fine. You should sleep. Don’t mind me. I’ll be quiet and leave as soon as I’m done.” He replied without pausing his folding.

“Mmm. Goodnight, Kibummie.” You whispered and fell asleep instantly, unaware that you had just given Kibum a nickname. He heard it though and snapped his head back to look at you, only to find that you were sound asleep. He smiled softly and continued sorting through your clothes.