22-

Letting You Go

 

You scrolled through your contact list and pressed the call button. As usual, you waited for the automated response to tell you that the user’s mobile was turned off before ending the call. This time however, when the call was connected, you heard a ringing tone instead. It didn’t register the difference and was about to end the call when you heard a voice. “Hello?”

You were momentarily too stunned to say anything. Your brain had short-circuited and was trying desperately to rewire itself. In the mean time, you were left speechless. “Hello? Is anyone there?” You could hear the slight irritation in the other person’s voice.

“H-Hello.” You managed to stutter out. “Junhyung oppa?” You continued, your voice sounding more steady now.

“------? What do you want?” His voice suddenly turned hostile.

“How come you didn’t know it was me calling?” You chose to ignore his attitude and kept your voice calm. You didn’t want to start another argument.

“Manager hyung took my phone away when I entered the company and just gave it back to me a few days back. It was dead so I bought a new one but I lost all the contacts stored in the phone. I also didn’t expect you to call me anyway. Now, can you answer my question?” He said, impatiently.

“I have something very important to tell you. Can we meet?”

“What is so important that you can’t tell me over the phone? You’re not using that as an excuse just so that you see me right? Because if you are, please don’t waste my time.”

“No no. I swear it’s not. Can we just meet? It won’t take too long. Please.” You hated yourself for sounding so pathetic but you knew that at this point, you had no choice, even if you had to beg.

You heard a sigh. “Alright, I’ll come by tomorrow after my schedules. It’ll probably be late.”

“It’s ok! I’ll wait for you. Thanks for agreeing to this, oppa!” You were so relieved that it didn’t even bother you that he had hung up without saying bye.

It was very odd, to say the least, for Soojin to walk out of the bedroom only to find you sitting cross-legged on the couch and grinning, to yourself, like a Cheshire cat. She watched you for a few moments and found your sudden mood change rather unsettling. “------ah, did something happen while I was in the shower?” She probed.

“I decided to call Junhyung oppa just to try and I managed to get through! He agreed to come here tomorrow so that we can talk.” The smile still painted on your face.

Soojin arched one of her eyebrows and gave you a questioning look. “Are you sure that is a good idea? I don’t think I need to remind you what happened the last time he showed up here at night.” She deadpanned.

“Don’t worry, unni. This time I won’t let anything happen. We’re just going to talk and that’s it.” You tried to reassure her.

“Are you sure? Do you want me to be here? Or better yet, Seyong?” She suggested.

“Unni! You know that I have to talk to him. You being here will only make him feel uncomfortable and Seyong oppa will probably just hit Junhyung oppa the moment he sees him. I think it’s better if I do this by myself.”

Soojin pulled you into a hug. “Ok, I understand. But if anything happens, you call me at once. Ok?” She ordered, in a very motherly way.

You smiled. It was truly comforting to have found such a good friend. “Arasso. You’re sound more and more like my omma nowadays.” You pouted.

“That’s because you obviously need someone to nag at you to take care of yourself. You always look out for others but forget about yourself!” She said, exasperated.

“Ok, omma. Let’s go to bed. We still have school tomorrow and you have to get up even earlier to go back home and change.” You quickly changed the topic before she got more agitated.

You pulled her back into the bedroom and the both of you wriggled under the covers. “Goodnight, omma.” You whispered.

“Yah. Are you really going to call me that from now on?” She whispered back.

You chuckled. “Why not? It suits you.”

“Hmph. It makes me sound old.” She grumbled under her breath. “Goodnight, ------.”

For the first time in a long while, you fell asleep with a smile plastered on your face.