10- Different

Letting You Go

You got home around 3pm and started to clean everything to pass the time. You didn’t want to think about Junhyung and the only way to stop that was to keep yourself busy. You did the laundry and cleaned every surface in the house until there was nothing left to clean. Once you were done, you got started on dinner immediately but realized that there wasn’t much food left so you went out to get some groceries.

You were done preparing dinner around 6:30 and texted Junhyung to ask whether he’ll be back soon. You didn’t get a reply and he wasn’t answering his phone. You covered all the food and settled on the couch to watch some television.

You dozed off somewhere in the middle of a variety show that you weren’t even sure what it was about. Your eyes had been fixed on the television screen but your mind was elsewhere. The day’s events slowly caught up with you though and you fell asleep with the television still going.

You woke up with a start and the sky outside was pitch black. It was already 10pm and Junhyung was still not home. You tried his phone again but he was still not picking up.

You didn’t bother to switch on the lights. You just turned the television off and waited up for Junhyung, not moving from the couch. Your mind refused to believe that he had forgot your birthday. Maybe the audition ended really late and he had trouble finding a bakery that was open. Maybe he was rushing back right now with your cake to surprise you. Your brain kept coming up with all sorts of scenarios but all of them ending with him not forgetting your birthday.

You looked up at the clock. It was already 11:59. You stared at the second hand as it ticked away.

 

5……..

4……..

3……..

2……..

1.........

 

12:00. Your birthday was officially over. You hugged your knees to your chest and rested your head on them. You still didn’t want to admit to yourself that he had forgotten and decided to cling onto your last hope….. that Junhyung was running late.

Junhyung eventually stumbled through the front door at around 2am. You didn’t fall back asleep so you knew. He wasn’t carrying a cake box. Instead, he reeked of alcohol and the distinct smell of barbequed meat that betrayed where he had been.

“Oppa. Where were you? I called you but you didn’t pick up!” You gritted your teeth, trying to control your anger.

Your voice startled Junhyung and he snapped his head in your direction. “Oh, ------ah. Why are you sitting in the dark?” He flicked the light switches and the lights came on. “I’ve got good news! I got accepted at today’s audition. I’ve signed the contract already and will be joining their company. Isn’t that wonderful?” Junhyung stumbled a few steps towards you before losing his balance and ended up sitting on the floor.

“Is that the reason why you were out so late? Drinking with your friends and not even bothering to call?” You were becoming increasingly upset at his nonchalant attitude.

“Why are you upset now? I’m sorry for drinking and not calling ok?”

Usually, his apology would melt you and you would forgive him instantly but the fact that he still hadn’t remembered your birthday fuelled your anger. “It’s not that!” You shouted at Junhuyng.

Junhyung looked shocked at your outburst for a moment before he started to get angry too. “What did I do then? Why can’t you be happy for me? Are you jealous that I’m finally going to be famous while you’re nobody? Is that what this is about?” He picked himself off the floor and stormed into the bedroom, slamming the door behind him.

“You forgot my birthday.” You whispered into the air. You remained on the couch, too shocked to move. Did Junhyung just accuse me of being jealous of him? Did he just say I was nobody? You curled up on the couch and started to sob as quietly as you could. You didn’t want to admit it. You had dismissed all the signs in the weeks leading up to today. But now, you had no choice but to face it. Junhyung had changed. You didn’t know who he was anymore.

 

=================

I felt really sad after I wrote this chapter :'( It really does when your best friend forgets your birthday.

If I made you sad with this chapter, Sorry!!

It's going to be sad for a while though =/