Our Unexpected Journey of Fate and Destiny

Our Unexpected Journey of Fate and Destiny

Chapter 9

 

Walking up to the front, Tiffany told the hostess that she was there to meet Mr. Jung Yunho. Looking down at the list of names in front of her, the hostess looked back up when finding Yunho's name before saying, “Yes, Mr. Jung had just arrived. He's waiting for you. Please follow me this way.”

 

Tiffany followed the hostess to the back corner of the restaurant, clearly a smoking designated area. Tiffany was wondering why Yunho had chosen to dine in a smoking section, 'Does he smoke?' She thought. Tiffany hated the smell of smoke and wasn't very happy with the choice that Yunho had made.

 

“Mr. Jung, your guest has arrived.” The hostess said, bowing.

 

Looking up, he said, “Thank you.” Bowing one last time, she walked back to her spot, leaving Tiffany standing there in front of Yunho, all alone.

 

“Tiffany, please sit down.” Yunho said, indicting to the chair in front of Tiffany while obsering her to see that she looked very composed and professional today. This woman that was standing before him and the woman he went on a date last Friday was like two completely different people. Satisfied with this other side of Tiffany, Yunho couldn't help but smiled to himself.

 

'Damn, does he always have to look so perfect?!' Tiffany thought, after sitting down.

 

“Mr. Jung, I was informed that you would like to discusses with me on a cases that I have been working on. May I ask which cases that is?” Tiffany asked coolly.

 

“Call me Yunho instead. We aren't at the hotel now. Why don’t you order first before we start discussing.” Yunho replied calmly, taking a sip of his coffee.

 

Looking down at the menu in her hand, Tiffany quickly decided on a kimbop.

 

Suddenly, Tiffany started to cough uncontrollably because of the cigarette smoke around them.

 

“Are you okay? Here, drink some water.” Yunho asked softly, handing her a glass of water.

 

Tiffany didn't want to tell him the reason she was coughing. She was supposed to be a smoker. He would know that she has been lying to him.

 

“Yes, I’m fine. I guess something just got in my throat.” Tiffany lied.

 

'I thought she smokes. Why is she acting so uncomfortable in a smoking designated section? And the coughing? It sounds like it comes from someone who isn't used to the smoking smell or fume.' Yunho thought, looking at Tiffany suspiciously.

 

After the smoking fume became unbearable for Tiffany and she couldn’t stop coughing, she finally spoke up, “Um...I have an appointment with a client later on today so can we move to a nonsmoking area? I don’t want to smell like smoke when I meet them. It's very unprofessional.”

 

“I thought you are used to the smoke. Don’t you smoke?” Yunho asked, looking at her curiously.

 

“Um...yes, of course, I’m used to it but when I’m working I don't smoke because I don't want to smell bad. Um...I only smoke when I go out partying and clubbing. I’m just coughing because I...um...I haven’t been feeling well.” Tiffany lied, fidgeting in her seat.

 

Considering what she said, they moved to a nonsmoking area of the restaurant. Yunho could senses that Tiffany was getting nervous. Suddenly, Tiffany tripped on her own heels and dropped her briefcase, scattering her folders all around them. Cursing herself silently for being so clumsy again, she bend down to picked up the folders. Yunho also bend down to help her gather the papers.

 

Somehow, Yunho felt that he was in a similar position before but couldn't remember when or where.

 

Once they finally finished gathering the papers, they sat down, ready to talked about business but seems like that wasn't the cases. Yunho was looking at her intensely as if studying her every move, making Tiffany uncomfortable, sitting across from him. However, she was relieved that they were away from the smoking area. Still, Yunho was observing all her movements intently. Tiffany had said she wasn’t feeling well but her excessive coughing disappeared once they moved to the nonsmoking section. She seem somewhat more relaxed now.

 

Finally, Yunho decided to ask but he sounded like he was making more of a statement than asking a question, “You don’t really smoke, do you?”

 

Tiffany was taken aback by Yunho's frankness.

 

Nervously, she asked, “What makes you say that?”

 

“Please be honest with me. No more games. I could tell from the way you act back there.” Yunho said firmly. Tiffany knew that she had lost this battle and was afraid Yunho would pull out a cigarette and force her to smoke it if she didn't confesses.

 

“Okay, you got me. I don't smoke.” Tiffany said.

 

“Why did you lie to me? What happened at the club, was that a lie, too? Were you putting on a show for me?” Yunho probes on further, looking straight at her.

 

Tiffany didn’t expect Yunho to be this straight-forward and so smart. It was as if he can look straight through her.

 

Dumbfounded, Tiffany just sat there, not knowing how to response.

 

“Please tell me? I just want to know the truth. Is it because you don’t agree to this marriage?” He asked softly.

 

Still, Tiffany just sat there. She wanted to let everything out, telling him that she didn't agree to her parents deciding who she was going to marry. She wanted to find her own husband who she loves and they are going to marry and build a future with love as the foundation, not some random guy she doesn’t even know but try as she might, it seems that was sealed shut. Suddenly, she could feel tears swelling up in her eyes; so she turned around so that Yunho couldn't see her face. She didn't want Yunho to see this side of her. She is a strong, independent girl, not some weak girl who cries at the first obstacle that she faces. What's wrong with her?

 

Rubbing her eyes gently and wiping the tears away, she said nervously, “Oh, I must have something in my eyes.” Unknown to her, Yunho had already seen the tears rolling down her cheeks.

 

“I didn’t mean to sound harsh or accusing you of anything. I just want to know why? If you don’t agree to this marriage, it’s okay. I just want to know.” Yunho pleaded softly.

 

After a few seconds, Tiffany managed to pull herself together again. Although she wanted to confess, something inside her wouldn't let her do so, as if she was having an internal struggle with herself then suddenly, she could hear herself boldly saying, “What you saw at the club wasn't a show. I’m not ashamed of who I am. Okay, I lied about the smoking but I didn't lie about who I am. Who do you think you are, thinking that I had to set up a show for you? I like to party. I like to drink. I like guys’ attention. I love the carefree and no responsibility lifestyle so no, I don't want to marry you. Does that answer your question, Mr. Jung?”

 

With that said, Tiffany sat there, taking in deep breaths secretly, not wanting to give in to Yunho. She didn't want Yunho to know that he can see straight through her. She didn't like the feeling of being defeated, especially by him.

 

As for Yunho, he just sat there and took in all that was transpiring in front of him. He didn’t know what to make of all of this. He was so confused and didn’t know what to do. He ran his hand through his hair. Yunho didn't understand this girl at all. Most girls will jump at the chance to be his wife, the wife of a rich general manager of one of the most renowned hotel in asia but not Tiffany. He is usually a very good judge of character and he was so sure that Tiffany had set the whole thing up to make him upset and not want to marry her. He was so sure that deep inside this mysterious girl, there lies a wonderful woman who is just hiding behind a protective barrier but now, what she had just said to him with such conviction, that he doesn’t know what to believe anymore. He never had to work hard for a women’s affection before but Tiffany was making things very difficult for him.

 

Upset at Tiffany's harshness towards him, hurting his ego and at himself for being so stupid as to believe that Tiffany was just pretending to be a wild party girl, Yunho finally said coolly, “Don’t worry, if you don’t want to marry me then you don’t have to. I, Jung Yunho, would never dream of forcing any girl to marry me. There are plenty of women out there who would die to be my wife. It’s already ridiculous enough that I have to marry such an unruly girl but for her to think that I’m forcing her is absurd.”

 

Suddenly, Tiffany felt guilty for being so ruthless. She didn’t know what had overcome her to say all of those to Yunho. She knows that Yunho wasn’t trying to be mean to her but for some unknown reason, she couldn’t stand the fact that he was able to understand her so well after only meeting her twice. However, now she was upset. What an arrogant guy! His statement about women dying to be his wife is just so egoistical! Ha, he thinks that he can have any women in this world and the nerve of him calling her unruly. Well, she will not be one of those stupid girls who would die at the chance of becoming some rich arrogant playboy’s wife!

 

Feeling steam coming off her head, she reached out for her briefcase, stood up tall and said, “Well, I’m glad that that is settled then. Don’t worry, this unruly girl will never want to be your wife. Now, please excuse me.” With that said, she walked out of the cafe, without glancing back.

 

Quickly paying the bill for their untouched meals, Yunho walked out of piano cafe, baffled.