What really matters

Beware the Wolves [HIATUS]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

not proof read!!

The red eyes disappeared as soon as Minji heard a weird knocking against wood as someone knocked at her door and she woke up with a shriek that stuck in , made her choke. “It’s me, Byunghun.” it said from the other side of the door and Minji shoot up from her bed. She just had a bad dream. “W-wait a minute please!” she said while jumping in a pair of jeans, striping over a sweater and just had put one of her shoes on “It’s okay, I’ll wait outside at the fountain.” and she heard the sound of his steps fading and she let her shoe fall to the ground, seriously wondering why he couldn’t just wait a minute for her. She fell back into her bed, looking at the blank ceiling. What a horrible night. After her talk with Hyechul she and Sajin went home to her aunt's house but there was a strange atmosphere between her and her aunt. She still had so many questions but as she tried to ask, her aunt always kind of blocked her. After dinner and as Sajin was peacefully sleeping in her bed, Minji knew the reason for it. Her aunt had found out about that mate thing. In a fight where Minji couldn't even defend herself and was still too troubled with what she just had found out that day they were both arguing loudly until it got dirty and were just hitting on each other. When Minji couldn't take it any longer she grabbed her jacket and ran outside of the house. She ignored her aunt's angry screams behind her, was just running away from her and all the problems she caused to her since Minji was here. She sat in the next bus, driving out of the city. Minji was that angry with her aunt that she didn't even care where she was as she sat off somewhere out of the city, walking randomly around, still sobbing and piercing her nails angrily in her arms as her jacket was too thin to keep her comfortable outside at night.

She got dressed, made her hair and brushed her teeth before she ran outside, wondering why Byunghun had woken her up that early.  There was still fog hanging so deep that she barely saw him waiting at the well from afar. Only gentle sunlight tried to get the cold air warm up. She slowed her steps, looked at him how he just shine the blade of a knife with riffled ends and Minji slowly stepped near. “I didn’t want to stress you, I just thought to wake you up early enough.” He said without looking up, turning the shiny blade in his hands until she saw the reflect of his eyes on them and only then he looked up. Her eyes were still a bit puffy and she surely didn't get enough sleep, Byunghun felt guilty to wake her early but in the end he wondered if she had slept at all. He patted at the space next to him and Minji sighed, sat down and they sat like this for a while.

"It's refreshing to sit here, isn't it?" he said after a while and Minji nodded, nervously fumbled with her hands. "Byunghun." she started and cleared her voice.
"Last night-" "I'm still thinking about if you're completely pathetic or desperately wished to die. What did you do all by your own in the forest?" Minji pushed her knees up to her chest and rested her chin on it. "I wanted to be alone." Byunghun only rolled his eyes, after he had found her crying into wet moose at night he brought her back to the werewolf hunter school as she refused to go to her aunt's house. Not the type of great words he didn't want to bother her why she was there and what was the problem and like it seems Minji as well was happy to had a silent accompany to somewhere more saver than the pitch-black woods."You played pity the pray. If you know of the existence of werewolves you don't just walk in the forest and sit there, crying." Minji glanced angrily at him "I stopped crying when you came." Amused, that it seemed to be her only problem when she had cried Byunghun stretched out his tongue "Still obvious you did all night." He didn't mean to be heartless but pitting her wouldn't help her as well. "You're an idiot." she mumbled and he chuckled and flipped the knife a few times in his hand before place it back in the satin tissue and placed it like that into her hands “So you'd be better armed for the next time. Here, it’s a present.” Minji looked at him with a high rose eyebrow “From you?” but Byunghun shook his head and laughed amused “You wished. It’s from Hyunchul.” and now Minji took it and looked at it closer. “Why!? I would never dare to take this into my hand to hurt somebody.” “Except for me, right?” he titled his neck and grinned and Minji looked up “Right, except you. You kidnapped me who knows what else you can do.” And lied the knife next to her. Byunghun craned his neck to the sky

“And that's after I saved you from being potential midnight snack.
You know, many of the students here have a really high respect to me.
I’m one of the youngest and best werewolf hunters but you always treat me like an idiot.”

“Hyunchul said you’re the son of the current head of the administration,
don’t you think people respect you because of his?”

“No, absolutely not, I’m the best werewolf hunter that’s why they respect me.”

“Tz and you wonder why I call you arrogant.”

”I thought I’m an idiot?”

“An arrogant idiot. And you kidnapped me.”

“I brought you to your family.”

“Without telling me.”

“I asked if you want to see your family.”

“I didn’t believe you said the truth.”

“Like I said…that’s not my problem.”

Minji hissed but chuckled of his always repeating mantra of his arrogance showing. Arguing with Byunghun had something stress relieving and she knew that he didn't take her serious at all but it was okay for Minji. She just needed someone to talk randomly without minding the last days happenings. “What do you really want, hm? You’re aiming something, why else would you wake me so early?” “You hit the bullet’s eye. Aiming is exactly the perfect word!” He jumped up and grabbed Minji by her wrist and made her follow him. “Didn’t I told you to not touch me!?” Minji said but couldn’t help but follow him. “I really don’t care if Chanyeol will get furious of this. Let him come here, in difference to you, I know how to shoot!” Minji gasped, slowly getting an idea what he was planning with her and somehow got frightened but she was even more angry that Byunghun just saying he could shoot Chanyeol without minding at all. “Oh dare you, Byunghun. Teach me shooting and it’s gonna be you who gets shot first.” The young werewolf hunter turned his head surprised to a really furious looking girl. From one ear to another he was smiling amused. “Now you got my interest, Choi! I’m so gonna teach you shooting just to see you fail to shot me.” He laughed happily and leaded her to the shooting room. Because it was still early and nobody was allowed anyway to go inside there without permission – like the big red sign in front of the room said – the room was completely empty. “We’re not allowed to be here.” Minji said when Byunghun closed the door and went to the safe where the learn weapons were stored. “Tell me something I don’t know, Choi.” And Minji snorted “Idiot.” “Something I don’t know.” He said sing-sanging amused. He seemed to have all suddenly a way better mood, like an excited kid. Minji crossed her arms and smirked that he didn’t see because he had turned his back to her as he opened the safe. 

“I won’t ever shoot somebody. Also, not a werewolf.” Byunghun turned his head to look at her confused, two guns in his hand and just reached out to the monition “Really never ever!? Even your own life depends on it.” when he held in to look at her handled her one of them, leading her to the shooting lines with the aims in the background. “Someone else has to safe me then.” He hissed, flipping the weapon once around and placed himself than in line “You tell me I am arrogant!? What if it’s just you and a werewolf? And I don’t mean Chanyeol. I’m talking about an enemy, blood thirsty for your life and close enough to rip you into pieces.” He steadied his feet to the ground, load the gun and fired five shoots in the directions of the aims and Minji shrieked up from the loud sound as he started shooting without a warning. Minji quickly pressed her palms against her ears as the loud sound really hurt. As it was silent again she carefully opened one eye, watching Byunghun carefully. “I couldn’t react so fast, I would be in shock. It’s useless to teach me shooting.” He put the gun down again and only then looked at her,  pointing to the aim and Minji looked up front to see the bull’s eye being hit exactly five times at the same place. “Crazy!” she gasped and looked at Byunghun.

“Now’s your turn. I first will give you some short introductions. For safety and stuff. I don’t want you to shot yourself in the end. life's not that desperate, right?” And explained really slow so Minji could follow every step and understand one by one what he was telling her. Once or then she asked and Byunghun had much patience to explain again, surprise for Minji he seemed more serious and calm as he explained how to shoot. Then he placed himself close next to her so she could see what he was doing, but kept his place mannered enough. Even Minji was so upturned for holding a gun her own in her hands she got interested by what he was telling and wanted to try by her own. “Is it okay to correct you?” he asked and she nodded. She placed herself in front of the shooting line and looked straight to the bullet aim, her feet steady and held her arms like Byunghun told her. There or here he corrected her position and also explained why not to stand like this and demonstrated it to her once wrong and then correct. Even the tiniest move with his legs got a totally different result. Then it was her first time to shoot herself. The blow back hurt, but the outcome wasn’t so bad, at least she had hit the aim. “That hurt. I guess, I did something wrong.” She admitted shyly and Byunghun nodded “I know. I just wanted you to feel the pain once. You’re completely stiff in your position.” Minji snorted “You say that like holding a weapon that kills should give you chills or something.” “It actually could. After all you can protect yourself and are at least a bit of advantaged with a weapon in your hand – if and only if you can handle it good enough, of course.” he explained all confidently but Minji sighed. “I’m not a werewolf hunter, Byunghun.” She said and put the gun on the side table.

“Imagine, if there would be three wolves, you hit one of them deadly, lets say he would be too focused on his own wounds, you still have one you still hit, maybe one in the loin, the other right in its snout. Who would you shoot first again to keep you safe?” Byunghun asked and Minji looked up first, thought about that after it. “Who’s the one that is furthest away from me?” “That doesn’t matter for the question now. It’s a theoretical question for an exam.”  Minji scratched her head and made a grimace “Really!?” she asked confused as that didn't seem to make any sense at all. But Byunghun nodded, still waited for her answer. “The one with the loin wound. It would try to attack me again.” “You’re dead.” Byunghun said and Minji wanted to know why. “But the others are almost dead anyway?” “The one you wounded its snout would be dead earlier, because of immense blood lost but in the last few seconds of his life it would smell and taste blood and only blood. It would probably start raging and adrenaline gave it a last kick to not only bite but tear you to shreds till you can’t get identified as human afterwards anymore. I had once shot a wolf in his cheek and wouldn’t there stand another wolf in his way I would have been mincemeat.” Minji gulped and placed the gun on the set table. She didn’t felt quite well with those kinds of pictures in her head. “How old were you when you had shot a werewolf the first time?” Byunghun didn't even need to think long about that. It was as clear in his memory as it was yesterday. Nobody would ever forget the first time to kill.  “On my twelve birthday. My father allowed me to follow him on an order because I got the best grades in class for that year and was allowed to skip one class to learn to shoot with the 14 year old kids.” Minji felt quite in shock as she heard that “You were only a child then.”

But Byunghun just shrugged his shoulders, it wasn't surprising that she didn't understand. “Once you write in for the werewolf hunter school you sign your childhood to be finished, Minji. The life of us can be cut in a second, we don’t have time to have a childhood, we prepare the best to not die to protect our city and humans from monsters that they don’t even know exist. I was proud when I had killed that wolf as I imagined how many more people it could have hurt or kill.” Minji looked sadly to the ground and gulped hard. She couldn’t imagine herself in that age to even know what it feels like to kill someone, may it be an animal, a human or a werewolf. “Now you look sad.” Byunghun said with a smile, more to bright up Minji again as she must be really depressed by what he had told her. or not, Byunghun didn’t want her to be sad, or worse, pity him! “What if that werewolf wasn’t bad?” “That’s not how it works, Minji. We don’t kill any werewolf that got in front of our trigger. We’re no monsters. We watch well over every single werewolf’s behavior and only involve ourselves it there is danger for the civilization. As many monsters there are there are also werewolf that had learned how to behave themselves. Busan’s pack and Yifan’s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter