Mating season's coming

Beware the Wolves [HIATUS]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The next day Minji tried to pull herself together as best as she could. Sehun was right, going to Busan was not possible at the moment, because of her empty bank account. It just was not enough and she had looked for job advertisement in the papers but there wasn’t something suitable for her. She didn't want to ask her aunt for money, she was afraid that her aunt would believe that she wasn't able to get along by herself. It was enough if Minji herself thought that.

“Are you angry with me?” she had asked Sehun when he was all quiet next to her. They sat together in the cafeteria at lunch break with some of their friends but neither with them or with her, Sehun changed any word but silently eat his lunch. Sehun looked up to look at her and chuckled suddenly and ruffled her head “Is there a reason I should be?” he asked with a strangely too bright smile and she shook her head “No, there’s no reason.”. At least, that was what Minji hoped and observed her friend secretly. For the whole day he didn’t talk a lot to her and seemed reserved, deep in thoughts but he acted like nothing was wrong with him.

A week passed, Sehun was really busy with studying for midterm exams and because he had missed some lectures, his father forced him to learn all day. Minji was busy too but because she had always learned that much she wasn't that stressed and had more time for her sister or for herself. When ever Minji visited the café all by her own she felt awkward, so she asked Nana to go with her, but - to Minji's disappointment - her friend used every second to flirt with Byunghun. Minji felt uncomfortable after what happened in the archive, that's why she decided to walk over to the café counter and talked with Baekhyun, Jongdae or Chanyeol, who always tried to make her smile. He was still worried about her as she had ran outside crying the last time. At first they were still awkward with each other, but Minji found day by day something that brought her back to the counter, back to Chanyeol. He was a great listener and Minji had soon overcome the awkwardness to find in Chanyeol someone she want to share all her thoughts with, all trouble she had and told him about her day with their small heights and lows. Chanyeol never seemed once to be bored of what she was telling him and looked with patient eyes into hers, giving her a warm and kind feeling, an excited tickle over her skin she didn't get tired of to feel over and over again, leaving her breathless with a smile.

Chanyeol always listened to Minji all curiously, soaking in every of the her words and short laughter like a vital necessity. Her voice was music to his ears, his eyes glued on her to not miss a moment of studying her. He swam away with the sound of her voice to a happier place and with every more he got addicted to hear her voice more often, he waited every day for her to come back and telling him more things about her and her life until he would know everything of her. And even then he wouldn't want her to stop. He smiled when ever she explained something all excited that she flourished with her smooth and small hands, drawing circles in the air and apologizing when she noticed her hectic hand movements with what she already had knocked over the sugar tax and blushed all embarrassed.

“How was your pre-exam today, Minji?” Chanyeol asked when Minji sat down on the bar chair and placed her hand bag next to her. Xiumin gave him this idea to ask regular costumers about their daily life to start the conversation. "Be more confident. You tend to get awkward when you need to talk to people and also with guests. We have guests who love to talk to us and you need to use this opportunity. Use things that you have talked about earlier with them to start, but pack them in a new feeling. So it feels like something that only you two shared talking about. people like that." He placed a big cup of hot chocolate right in front of her. Minji smiled, after the long time she sat in the room writing her pre-exam in biology she had looked forward to go to the cafe and lingered for a hot chocolate that Chanyeol had promised her if she would success to go through the tough questions. "Thank you. It went quite well. I was more nervous than necessary." she said and sipped happily on her drink.  Chanyeol who stood at the coffee machine making some coffee turned his head around to her with a smile and yelled over the coffee machine "I remember someone who said this, too!".

Minji smiled embarrassed, stirring her hot chocolate and cupped her chin with her hand and pouted. "It was you yesterday." she admit in a mumble and Chanyeol placed the coffee and a piece of cake from the kitchen on the tray and rang the small bell for Baekhyun to pick up the order. “Yeah, I know, I just wanted to remember you that I was right.” he said with a satisfied smile that made Minji blush. "H-how was your day? Is it busy today?" Minji changed the topic and Chanyeol only shrugged his shoulders "It's okay. I'm getting better and faster with the day." Baekhyun appeared and pulled Chanyeol’s ear once. “Hey big head, up there.” and looked then to Minji “Do you know that when Chanyeol laughs, his big ears are twitching? He looks like yoda, only taller and less green." Chanyeol smiled embarrassed, his ears began to burn and heard the short giggle from Minji as she tried not to be rude and laugh but he actually looked cute with those ears, she admit. “Baekhyun you’re mean!” Minji covered her smile with both hands and chuckled into it. “Ah you don’t need to hide your smile. It’s beautiful.” Chanyeol said and Minji blushed while Baekhyun looked all surprised to Chanyeol. “Ah. Oh. Thank you.” Minji mumbled shyly and looked back to Nana’s table where she already waited for her friend since Byunhun had to work again and Minji quickly excused herself.

“Yo, Chanyeol.” Baekhyun poked Chanyeol’s arm and the red headed giant dumbo next to him looked to him “What was this? You better not try to flirt like this with Minji…you know...” Baekhyun tried to explain and scratched his head as he searched for the right words but Chanyeol shook his head “I didn’t mean to say that. You think it was wrong?” he asked and Baekhyun sighed “No, I mean, I don’t know but you better leave out such things, especially when Sehun is around.” Chanyeol nodded like he understood what Baekhyun said “Minji belongs to Sehun.” and Baekhyun chuckled “Ah, no not that way, don’t misunderstand that. But I have the thought you smile a bit too bright when she’s here. Do you like her?” Chanyeol nodded, of course he liked her. He didn’t know what this feeling was that made him feel like the sun shone into his heart when she flashed the slightest smile, when he knows that she’s fine. He liked her smile. “She’s beautiful, right?” he said and glanced back to her and smiled again. “I fear that, Chanyeol. Please try quickly to forget any feels for her again. You know this would be the best for all of us.” and Chanyeol nodded again. “No problem, I don’t want Sehun to think wrong of me.” and went back to his work, being watched by a worried Baekhyun who could only hope that Chanyeol’s word were that easily spoke out because he was really to be able to forget Minji easily too. Chanyeol didn't know about the happening a few years ago, where Tao and Sehun almost ended in a fight because Tao had hugged Minji a moment too long at their graduate party and Sehun had misunderstood the situation.

“Kris?” Baekhyun stuck his head carefully in the door and listened. It was afternoon and he had decided to go visit the leader after work to talk with him about Chanyeol. He somehow had a bad feeling from the last days, in addition that Sehun suddenly had less time for Minji and seemed really upset with something. Baekhyun had noticed it immediately but the others told him to ignore it, maybe it was just a difficult phase. That difficult phase. But Baekhyun’s nose tickled, sensed some danger. There was something else in the air. The only one who seemed to feel something comparable was Luhan who was more nervous day by day. Normally, Baekhyun wasn’t like Luhan, who get nervous when routine situation surprisingly happen different from how he thought, but even for Baekhyun he suddenly got really careful. He didn't blame Chanyeol for this, that poor giant child, but it had definitely something to do with him. Baekhyun walked inside the house - Kris never locked the door so they had never a problem to come inside - and closed the door carelessly behind him. Kris would have known anyway that he's here. Baekhyun heard the TV in the living room, those cheesy dramas Luhan loved to watch and something like a rustling snore beside the fancy music to a dramatic love scene that completely destroyed the image. Kris always falls asleep to those dramas immediately, fully to Luhan's frustration who couldn't concentrate when Kris next to him imitated the sound of a rusty chainsaw. Once when they were watching all together, Kris fell f

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter