Uncovered past with eyes wide open

Beware the Wolves [HIATUS]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

After dinner, Minji got called to the principal's office where Byunghun accompanied her. "Our school principal of the werewolf hunter training school is a good friend of your father." he explained, his hands in his pockets,  walking down the corridor "Maybe you know his name, Jung Hyunchul." Minji nodded, indeed she knew that name from her father somewhere. She was really nervous and maybe she shouldn't had eat something before. Byunghun knocked at the door with force and after no time a mid-aged man that was so familiar to the girl opened the door and leaned against the door frame. “Hyunchul-uncle?” Minji mumbled and titled her head to look in the man’s face and he ran his hand through his hair to put his hair out of his face and looked at Minji, then to Byunghun. “Oh. Our little Choi Minji, you've grown to a really beautiful young lady. You have so much from your mother!" then turned to Byunghun with a grin "So you really brought her here?” he looked back to Minji “Why is Byunghun like this? I lost my bet now because of you.” and Byunghun rolled his eyes, as he had heard of that stupid bet about Byunghun wouldn't be able to get Minji here without getting some bones broken. “I'm confused, he doesn’t even have a scratch! Did you go here all voluntary?” Minji shook her head “No! He kidnapped me! Jungssi, I still remember you. You sometimes visit my father when I was young. You brought candy for me all three times you visit him. That's why I also called you Treats-uncle.” Now that she saw him in front of her she remembered him again and she was happy that he was here. Maybe he knew where her parents are!

Jung Hyunchul softly lied his hand on Minji’s shoulder. “I'm happy I remained you of peaceful times. Come inside, please. I will explain and answer all your questions if you like to.” He said with a soft smile that was sincerely and she followed him into the room. He closed the door and offered Minji a seat to sit down. Minji looked around to the many books in the shelves. “I remember you were a teacher but who could have imagine that you're a...ehm werewolf hunter teacher?” Hyunchul nodded and randomly got one of the books out to show her “I’m teaching self defense and body protection. I’m the head teacher of the Red Hood Hunter’s school, this building complex where Byunghun brought you.” Minji rolled her eyes “Yeah he brought me here. But actually I had hoped he would explain something to me on the way here. I'm still so confused. Where are my parents? What is happening here? Why did my parents always hide their real identity from me? What happened exactly to my parents? You know where they are, don’t you?? I really want to…” “Please, it’s already late, if you’re going to bomb me with so many questions at once I’d probably get headache. I hate headaches.” he said simply and then rubbed his temples with his palms and Minji apologized.

“Where should we start to explain you everything? You probably don’t know anything, which makes this really hard to explain.” he stood up and walked over to one of the shelves to get one of the old photo albums that were untouched for so long. “Maybe we should start with your parents first.” he said and sat back down with a heavy sigh that whirled dust from the book into the air. “I know your father since we were teenagers. We both went here to school, learned to fight and defend ourselves in fight against the beastly lycantrophs. Back then there were quite many going around, many dangerous ones. Today most of them really got more civilised but back then…monsters, Minji, they were reckless bloody monsters with no shame of killing everything that ran in front of their hungry snouts. Your father and I, with the age of only 16, well, we were young, dumb and unwarily, we loved to think that we would become once the best werewolf hunters of the whole country and can change the world to a better one. It was in a hot summer day when your grandfather, you’ve never met, announced war to the pure-blooded as one of them-" he paused looked carefully at the girl in the way to big armchair, imagine her still as the little clumsy girl in cute pink dresses that enjoyed his visits with his candy presents. It broke his heart to speak the truth that would shock her so much and may shatter the image of an innocent girl that had lived in a peaceful world. "One of them had killed your grandmother.” He was ashamed to look back in Minji who sat shock frozen in her seat “I’m sorry, it must be a shock to hear this about your grandparents.” and Minji gulped and nodded in slow-motion, but tried hard to concentrate on Hyunchul and didn’t speak a word. Hyunchul cleared his voice and opened the photo book, pointing on one picture of a group of well dressed men and women in the familiar werewolf hunter outfits, even it was black and white Minji saw the noticeable werewolf hunter clothing.

“This is your grandfather, head administrator of the werewolf hunter administration of Busan. Left from him is your grandmother.” he paused and paged on then pointing to a class photo “Your father, me. And there is your mother. They both hated each other at first because your mother thought your father was trying way too hard to be an idealistic werewolf hunter. Byunghun reminds me sometimes of him, he’s really hard trying to be always the best." "But I sometimes wonder if he even has a heart." Minji said with a screwed nose and crossed arms. Hyunchul snorted "His father is really strict, he didn't enjoy such a great childhood like you, that makes people sometimes look really rough from the outside but Byunghun is caring for his people in his own way." Hyunchul sat back and closed his eyes for a moment and sighed “When your father heard about his mother's sudden death he changed completely. He was not crying, he was furious. Blind of hate. Like his father. Your grandfather convinced the administration and adults to fight the pure-blooded while your father had convinced all students in one single speech as well, he really had a great talent for speaking. Not long after this a war broke out. A bloody fight that got his when the werewolf pack from Busan got attacked from pure-blooded werewolves as well as they didn't stopped killing in their own rows. You recognized the pure-blooded by their dark and dirty looking fur, with red blood only decently glint around the dark snouts to hide their beastly lust for killing. We had lost a lot of people during the fights, we were armed badly and many were just too young  to fight. Your father saw how he sent one after another into a painful death. He slowly began to regret that he had let out his anger that way. There were three times more of monsters than us. It seemed like an endless nightmare.”

Minji silently cried for all the pain Hyunchul only gave her with telling her the story she never had heard before. But it seemed so real, the fear, the desperation and pain. And her parents both survived this! But how was it possible for both that they could hide their painful past all those years from her? Were they still in pain? Have they killed as well? How was it possible to raise her and Sajin with so much love when they had seen so much hate? “I supported your father in a fight when one of the pure-blooded attacked your father before I could go help him. He got hurt badly, luckily it wasn't an alpha bite. I tried to defend him but there came more wolves. I my monition was already empty and your father was hurt at his wrist so we were lost." Minji gasped, holding both her hands to and hugged her knees tightly. Even she knew that both survived, she was scared what he would tell her next.

“Suddenly, werewolves came up, grey and light brown furred, different from the monsters who circled us, and killed one after another, faster than our eyes could follow. They disappeared again and we were able to flee. Moved by this incident, your father was awake night and day, he couldn’t get what happened off his mind. After three sleepless nights he came to me, still wounded from the fight. “I will go and search for them! I need to thank them!” he told me with such consideration, I couldn’t help but go with him. “This is madness!” I always told him, to go search for a werewolf to not kill him but thank him. Many hunters had lost their sanity from the fights, you could guess I was also scared your father gone crazy! But I was his best friend, I had to follow him. Our search was useless in the empty woods in a break of the war and so we turned back depressed. At the gate of the school we found a light-brown wolf waiting for us- we couldn't believe our eyes! He had found us instead! But he came to us with a serious please. “Let’s fight together. The pack of Busan had coasted a lot of werewolf members as the pure-blooded didn’t even stop their killing thrill from their own beings. This madness had to stop!”

Long story short even nobody would have ever believed it, your father could convince everybody to bound with the Busan werewolf pack to fight against the pure-blooded. The pack had helped more werewolf hunters in the fight so they got their trust. It was a last brutal fight but we didn’t lose many from our site. Those of the pure-blooded got killed but a few started begging for their lives. Your father as the leader of this movement felt too guilty with everything he had started that he couldn't kill them as well. So he sent the last few wolves all to Jeju, for years it was the place where banned werewolf had to live. With the bound and an official contract of the Busan pack, Jejudo got to a cage in the sea for those who were not worth living but still we had a heart to let them stay alive. The day the war ended and your father got the new administrator he confessed to your mother. It was a day of celebration but also a day of to those who had left their lives in the fight."

Minji wiped her eyes from the tears and sniffed. She was proud that her father didn't killed the wolves who had begged for lives. May be that they were heartless but also the werewolf hunters were with killing them. Everybody who killed could be blamed to be heartless from a different's person's few. But Minji of course knew that, at least for the werewolf hunters, had reasons to kill. She shivered from the thought about those pure-blooded werewolves. In difference to Sehun and Chanyeol they were really monsters, Minji had admit with goose bumps all over her body. She couldn't imagine that they could kill somebody.

Hyunchul cleared his voice "It would be a pretty happy end if the story would end here but I feel sorry to destroy that believe. While there were a time of recovering for the werewolf hunters, some of them built secret

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter