The Night Owl Café 4

The Night Owl Café
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

~The Night Owl Cafe~

“Hey, Dohyun?”

“Hm?”

“What happens when you get ‘scared half to death’ twice?”

“….Yixing, it’s just an expression.”

It was well into the late morning. Saturday and Sunday was Dohyun’s off days from work although the boys had work today, tomorrow would be Myungsoo’s off-day. Currently, she sat in the kitchen waiting for the espresso machine to finish brewing as her roommate; Zhang Yixing was being his usual self.

Yixing was a close friend to her and like an older brother she never had plus the two of them living together made the bills much easier to pay so there was little room for complaining.

“I know but then what’s going to happen the next time you get scared?” Yixing asked in an innocent tone as the espresso machine beeped signaling it was done. “Oh! Make me a cup too, just like how you make it.”

“Sure…”

If Dohyun could describe Yixing it would be; random, curious, smart, especially smart Not many people would think so at first glance considering Yixing spaces out a lot and tends to ask questions that make you wonder about a lot of things. As smart as he was he has skills and talent as well. He was great as music, playing the guitar and piano as well as dancing. As for Dohyun, well she could make awesome coffee.

“You going to work today, Yixing?”

“Nah….The studio won’t fall apart just because I’m not there. I’m not the only dance instructor working there. Plus, I’m not going out in this weather.”

She looked outside the kitchen window from their shared apartment and saw the dark clouds looking as if another 80% chance of rain would happen any time soon. The weather made her thoughts drift back to yesterday’s events with Jongin and his umbrella.

“I have this strange urge to open the window and lean with half of my body out of it.” Yixing stated as he peeped over her shoulder with a cup of espresso in his hands.

“Why would you want to do that?” She dully asked, knowing that he would have an odd reply. He usually had an answer for everything.

“So that I can drink the rain. Though, is it safe to drink because the rain is evaporated water from the ground, right?....”

Dohyun stood there for a good three seconds staring at him wordlessly and retreated to her room when Yixing made movements to open the window. Exactly how was Yixing one of the top students at the university? She plopped herself onto her bed and groaned remembering she forgot her espresso in the kitchen. She was about to get it when the familiar buzz of her phone got her attention, she picked it up and blinked at the message.

From: Xiumin

Oh my gosh, Doodie, he’s here and actually seems disappointed you’re not here XD you should have seen his face when Myungsoo asked for his order he was like; D:

P.S he was asking for you (Hubba hubba ;3)

‘He’ in this case obviously meant that Jongin boy. She didn’t know what to do with him. He openly flirts with her yet she was almost sure the girl at the café he brought along had some sort of romantic feelings towards him. She refused to be someone who’s strung along Kim Jongin’s plans. The guy was flipping gorgeous. It was like someone beat him with the handsome stick of gorgeous, and thus Kim Jongin is now a walking, talking piece of art.

She hadn’t gotten much attention from any other guys at the café, granted there were barely any but still. Why now and why him? She had no idea how to respond to this. Dohyun was a generally reclusive girl who preferred a calm and quiet surrounding. She liked peace and quiet and Kibum was probably the only exception to this rule because ‘I’m special,’ as he would put it. She wasn’t that good with people and might even come across as unapproachable to some. She was blunt and straightforward as well, yet, this guy took an interest in her for some reason. She took a glance at the black umbrella in the corner of the room and then the rain outside the window.

“DO-DO! THERE’S A FLY IN YOUR ESPRESSO!”

Well, so much for her espresso.

With a long sigh she walked to the kitchen only to see the fly safe and put outside by the window and her espresso cup empty and Yixing blinking owlishly at her.

“…What happened to the espresso in my cup?”

“I took the fly out and put it to safety and then threw your espresso down the sink.” He happily chirped and took a sip of his own espresso. Dohyun narrowed her eyes at him and made her way to him slowly.

~The Night Owl Cafe~

Due to Yixing throwing her espresso out, she threw his out as well (if Dohyun ain’t getting her espresso, ain’t nobody getting their espresso) the two took a stroll to The Night Owl Café on the cold day when the rain softened up a little. As they walked into the café they were greeted by Minseok’s fox-like grin.

“Miss me?” Minseok jokingly said.

“Your lattes, yeah, you? Not so much. Why’s the café so empty?” She asked and Minseok nudged his head towards the direction outside.

“Rain. Business is a bit slow today but I’m not really complaining.” Minseok then put something in the blender and pressed the button, watching whatever it was shred to little pieces.

“What are you doing?” Yixing curiously asked.

“Blending a paper with some digits on it.”

Suddenly a clatter and the sound of kitchen utensils falling echoed from the back where the kitchen was, Myungsoo could be seen darting pass them.

“COCKROACH!!!” Kibum’s familiar voice boomed.

Myungsoo immediately halted and made a u-turn while still withholding his poker face.

“HELP! IT’S MOV-you have got to be kidding me. IT FLIES!?”

A few more noises were heard as they all stood there staring at the kitchen door as if waiting for something to happen. The silence was broken by Yixing who seemed amused by what was happening.

“Did you know the song La Cucaracha is about a cockroach that lost one of its six legs?” He stated and started singing La Cucaracha and Minseok soon joined in.

“Myungsoo….Weren’t you going to go in there? It got awfully quiet now.” Dohyun asked while looking at Myungsoo seemed fine as if Kibum didn’t make a sound.

“You go in there then.” He scoffed and walked away to refill a table’s cups.

Kibum chose that moment to walk out the doorway and seemed calm; he looked as if nothing happened if it wasn’t for the strand of hair sticking out on top of his head like some sort of lost child.

“Xiumin, tell L I’ll need help cleaning the kitchen.” Kibum coughed.

“Key, what did you do?”

“Well, I threw a pot at it but whoa, can that roach crawl or what? I still can’t find it! Then I took a baking torch-“

“WHAT!?” Minseok yelled.

“-but when I turned around it suddenly disappeared! I still can’t find it! This is bad, cockroaches in a restaurant-“

“Shhhh! Stop screaming before all the customers hear you! What if Mr. Kim were here! You know he’s practically waiting for something to happen so he can jump this place.” Myungsoo hissed.

“Oh no. This is bad. You guys should probably find Minster Pickles before he invites his crew.” Yixing said and the others nodded in agreement except Kibum who was confused.

“Who?” Kibum questioned.

“Mister Pickles, you know, the cockroach?” Yixing grinned.

~The Night Owl Cafe~

As Dohyun and Yixing sipped on their espresso and Yixing whined about her throwing his perfectly fine espresso out, business continued as usual followed with an unexpected visit from Mr. Kim. It was odd for the man to visit more than once a month so his arrival was really unexpected.

Myungsoo could be seen greeting him and guiding him to an empty and cleaned table whereas Kibum and Minseok shot him skeptical looks from their spot at the counter.

“I can handle this guy coming here like, once a month, but twice in a month is a bit too much.” Dohyun groaned.

“Who’s that?” Yixing questioned as he added a sugar cube to his espresso. Dohyun’s calculating gaze never left Mister Kim.

“That’s Mr. Kim. That guy’s been after this place for who knows how long. Pops up, drinks something and says something about this place and the service. I’m not quite sure what kind of company he runs but it’s probably a massive one seeing as he asked Miss Lee if she’d sell the café to him.”

Yixing stirred his espresso and tasted it and let out a hum of approval. “Can I take some sugar cubes home with me? They’d be great in my coffee…”

Dohyun pinched the bridge of her nose and sighed tiredly. “Yixing, were you even listing to me just now?”


“Um, partially. So, about the sugar cubes…”

Myungsoo walked up to their table and refilled their cups.

“Um…I didn’t ask for a refill?” Yixing questioned with a confused tone. Myungsoo nodded and nudged his head at the table to where Mr. Kim sat with a laptop open up in front of him. A chocolate sponge cake and a cup of Mocha was in front of him and he had yet to take a bite.

Dohyun briefly wondered if Kibum poisoned it or something seeing as he kept glancing at Mr. Kim every now and then.

“I know, but I came here to ask about Mr. Kim. Why’s he here? He usually makes a debut here once a month…” Myungsoo stated.

“I don’t know….I don’t think any of us do. He’s probably up to something.” Why else would he be here, anyway? “I don’t have a good feeling about this, Myungsoo.” Dohyun frowned, biting her lower l

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter