The Night Owl Café 2

The Night Owl Café
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

~The Night Owl Café~

 

“What the-where did I put the whisk? Didn’t I leave it here?...Urg.” Kibum scratched the top of his head in thought as his eyes were scanning Dohyun as if looking at her would possibly provide him with an answer. It was early in the morning again and they had gathered at the store to make the necessary preparations to open up the café before opening time. Minseok, Dohyun and Kibum were there, all of them with the exception of Myungsoo.

“Dohyun! Find what cannot be found!” Kibum yelled as he pointed his finger towards her, as she raised a questioning brow.

“You want me to find Atlantis? Talk about high expectations, what use will I have for a whisk?” She asked and Minseok snorted and started laughing. The girl could barely crack an egg without sending the egg shells all over the place, what use would she have for a whisk?

“Soooo~ Dohyun, tell me, who was that guy you were talking to yesterday? Hmm?” Minseok taunted with a teasing smirk on his face as Kibum scurried towards the counter and stared at her expectantly, also wanting to know who the boy from yesterday was.

“Why are you asking?” Dohyun questioned as she wiped the tables off, cleaning the place up before it was time to open up as there were a few minutes left. She could have used some help, Myungsoo wasn’t here yet though, he had this thing of hardly coming on time.

“Because he looked interested in you. Usually the café’s filled with girls leaving their number on a napkin or paper which Xiumin finds odd ways to dispose of…” Said boy grinned at the remembrance of chewing on the paper with the digits written on it yesterday. “So please, do tell, who was he?” Kibum insisted, she sighed and moved on to the next table, usually it’s a girl’s friends that ask for the boys details. Why was it the other way around now?

“I don’t know.” She answered truthfully. “He just pitched up here and started talking to me. I asked him if he was flirting with me and he admitted to that too-“

“OHOHOHOOOOOO-!”

“Shh, Kibum!” Minseok put a hand over Kibum’s mouth and urged Dohyun to continue as Kibum squirmed and tried to get out of Minseok’s grip.

“He seemed like a playful type of guy really, but before he left he…” She trailed off as she remembered his almost ominous persona that he gave off before he left. Ominous almost, yet intriguing at the same time. It made her curious but the chances of meeting him again probably weren’t high.

Something was fishy about that guy, no, fishy seems almost too nice. Something seems was sharky about that guy.

“Hello?...Dohyun? Minseok snapped his fingers in front of her and she assured him she was fine and went on wiping tables.

No use thinking about someone you might never meet again.

Kibum and Minseok exchanged looks and just shrugged and went to their respective stations behind the counter and began starting on some beverages and cakes beforehand.

Myungsoo chose that moment to arrive and took the store’s signature black apron and tied it around his waist.

“Sorry, I’m late.” He mumbled in his low voice and let out a yawn as he took the broom from the storage room and began sweeping the café.

“When are you ever early? So what was the hold up?” Minseok asked while brewing the coffee.

“Nothing, I just didn’t want to come.” Myungsoo replied and Kibum muttered something along the lines of ‘I wonder how you made it to your job interview on time.’

The soft music played in the background as Myungsoo and Dohyun cleaned and the fresh aroma of cakes and Morning Americano wafted through the air. However, the calm atmosphere was broken once the sound of the store doors opening resounded and Kibum sighed loudly and turned around to reprimand whoever it was.

“Hey! Could you not see the large bold cursive written on the massive sign outside, plastered on our huge doors? We’re ‘CLOSED’ it’s pretty big you can’t miss it.” As sarcastic as Kibum was being, he was right. It’s a huge sign; it’s almost hard to notice.

“I should remember that you spoke to me in such a condescending tone when I am older than you by many years, boy.” An old, yet loud booming voice said and all four of them turned around and the person they saw was the last person they’d want to see right now.

Mr. Kim.

Mr. Kim is the owner of a large company that was well known. His entertainment company was no joke and you either make it or you don’t. Why he chose to spend time here was a mystery though he kept his visits short and basically around once a month. He usually had something new to say about the cafe whenever he came by;

 “You call this coffee? I could easily make this at home, why should I pay an outrageous amount of won just to drink coffee?”

“So many customers and only two waiters and one of them is apparently a barista as well? Is that proper service?”

“Is this cake even edible? Also, I think my beverage is slightly cold.”

Thank goodness Ms. Lee, the owner of the café rarely came in, she loves this café and Dohyun doubted she’d just stand by and listen to this man talk about it in such a manner. So far, Ms. Lee has never   met Mr. Kim, and that’s good so far.

“Mr. Kim, old chap, how are you? As you can see we aren’t open…” Minseok stated with a smile that didn’t quite reach his cheeks like they usually did.

“Indeed, boy, indeed. I’ve come to speak with the owner of this café.” Mr. Kim announced while fixing his tie. Kibum narrowed his eyes in suspicion, what business would this man have with Ms. Lee?

“Ms. Lee isn’t in today and we’ll pass on the message.” Myungsoo said in a calm tone, trust him to handle things rationally.

“I just told you my business is not with you but with the owner of this store!” The businessman yelled frustratingly and what little patience Kibum had left disappeared as he abruptly put the mixing bowl down. He narrowed his sharp eyes at Mr. Km who visibly shrank under Kibum’s gaze. Dohyun, Minseok and Myungsoo chose to remain quiet in case a conflict ensued.

“We just told you, she’s not there. Now, the café is still closed, do you allow people to storm in your business when you’re clearly closed?” The cake-master asked, Mr. Kim remained silent seeing as Kibum did have a point.

“I’ll be back. Another time then.” He assured and his heel to walk out the store. The atmosphere eased up and they all sighed in relief.

“It’s a café not a store!” Minseok yelled towards the direction Mr. Kim was last seen and told Kibum to flip the ‘CLOSED’ sign to ‘OPEN.’ Kibum shook his head in the negative while staring out the window.

“Not yet, Xiumin. Wait will Mr. Kim disappears around the corner…”

~The Night Owl Café~

As Dohyun was re-filling two cups with more coffee for two girls, one of them tugged on her sleeve.

“Excuse me, could you maybe give this extra tip to the barista behind the counter? Oh! Also, tell him his mocha is absolutely wonderful.” She giggled and her friend nodded in agreement.

Dohyun almost rolled her eyes at these two; she was the one who made the mocha they’re drinking. Not Minseok. “Oh! Give him this too!” The girl exclaimed while writing something down on the napkin and giving it to Dohyun who took it without saying a word. She should probably talk more…Maybe then she’ll get guys writing down their numbers on napkins for her and complimenting her mocha-skills. As she made her way to the front, she gave Minseok the slip and nudged her head in the direction of the two girls. When he looked over they laughed lightly and waved shyly at him and then exited through the door.

“From what of your admirers, Xiu. Also, she says your coffee is absolutely wonderful even though she’s drinking my coffee.” She said, Minseok took the napkin with the girl’s number on it and used it to clean the little coffee drops around the counter top.

“I shan’t let the fair maiden’s token of appreciation go to waste!” Minseok exclaimed, Myungsoo stared at him with an expressionless face while Dohyun couldn’t help but laugh.

“How ironic…” Myungsoo muttered once Minseok threw the napkin in the trash can. Kibum then came and handed Myungsoo a brown paper bag and by the smell, Dohyun guessed it was a passion fruit tart.

If she gets married one day, she should probably give Kibum a ring like he said.

Soon, the Morning Rush ended and the Afternoon Hour came in, a few high school kids and some young adults came in looking for a place to just let loose.

Kibum had gotten about three numbers from girls, Myungsoo got around seven and Minseok got five (they all got disposed.) Dohyun hadn’t received any and she wasn’t surprised, many of their customers were young females.

Dohyun had been helping Minseok by brewing some coffee beans while he did the dishes. Myungsoo then made his way towards her and nudged his head towards the door entrance where an all too familiar figure stood. He then explained to her that the customer refused to be served by anyone else if it wasn’t her.

“What do you mean? Just serve him, I’m….busy.” She mumbled, trying to ignore the feeling stirring up in her stomach. Oh gosh that guy wasn’t even near her and already she was getting butterflies.

“Like I said, he refused to be served by anyone else but you.”

“Urrgh…But….Fine.” She groaned, walking near the store entrance and she tried keeping her stare pinned to the laminated floors. However, the feeling to take a small glance arose and that’s exactly what she did.

There

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter