The Night Owl Café 23

The Night Owl Café
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

~The Night owl Café~

 

Jongin was so confused. What had he done that Dohyun hadn’t returned his calls or texts for an entire week? He wanted to have another dinner date with her except he wanted it to be with his parents this time so that she could finally go to his house for a change and a first.

He always avoided the subject of her going to his house because surely she’d recognize his father in their family photos and was probably under the impression that his father was still after the café. His father was even willing to get to know Dohyun behind her occupation as a waitress because his son was finally serious about a girl. He didn’t know how will Dohyun would take it but he at least had to try and wanted her to feel the trust in their relationship.

Yet, even after a week had passed she hadn’t picked up his phone calls nor had she replied to his texts.

What had he done wrong?

Maybe…

Maybe her phone was broken, or maybe she wanted some space? Yeah, space, he texted her and called her everyday so of course it might have been space she yearned for.

Why did it feel as if he was trying to convince himself nothing was wrong?

Something was up.

Picking up his phone again he speed dialed her number and silently waited for the constant ringing to cease.

When he heard the ringing stop, his mouth spread into a grin.

“Hello?” Dohyun’s voice echoed through the receiver.

Jongin smiled, “Hey there princess, why haven’t you been answering my calls?”

Slight shuffling was heard on the other end and she cleared and spoke again, a bit quieter and softer, “I was sort of..preoccupied. Sorry..”

Jongin frowned.

Why did she sound so….different? Why was is the bad kind of different?

“Are you okay, Dohyun?” he asked, concerned.

“I…Jongin you..I heard that...” she stumbled over her words which immediately indicated to him something was definitely wrong, “never mind. What can I do for you?”

She wasn’t even masking or hiding her somber tone, was now a good time to ask?

“Um…You see, I was wondering if you’re free anytime soon?” he asked as he tapped his foot impatiently and anxiously.

“Jongin, no offense but don’t you think we’re going on-“

“Too much dates? Yeah, but this one is super important. Please, princess, for me? This will mean so much to me.” He begged.

A pause was settling in between the two until an audible, tired sigh resounded from the receiver, “Not right now, I’m at work and my shift’s just about over and I need to go to the store to stock up on groceries. Plus, I have work for the rest of the week so I’ll have money to pay my share of the rent and have some over at the end of this month. Maybe another time, sorry Kai, bye.”

A loud click was heard as she put the phone down and Jongin couldn’t help but collapse on a nearby couch in the lounge, frustratingly running his hand through his hair. So, was it possible she was so busy trying to juggle her work and life so that she could pay the rent and make some money?

Why did they seem like excuses?

Jongin’s eyes widened in realization as he slowly sat up and looked at his phone in utter shock and disbelief.

“Did she just…”

He was so sure he heard right. Now, he was certain that something was definitely off.

“Did she just call me Kai?”

~The Night Owl Café~

 

Dohyun blankly stared back at her phone and wordlessly shoved it in her back pocket.

Myungsoo stared at her in the corner of his eye but quickly averted his gaze before he said any more than he already did a week ago. He practically told her ‘told you so’ without the sugar coating and frosting.

“Let me guess, Kai, right?” Minseok guess as he casually draped a cloth over his shoulder after drying an espresso machine’s jar. Kibum came out and poked Minseok in the side and sent him a warning look.

“Don’t say his name in front of her! Or in this café!” Kibum scolded.

Minseok rolled his eyes, “Fine, Did He-Who-Shall-Not-Be-Na-“

“Xiumin!”

“Did Volder-“

“Xiu.Min.”

“Was it the Biscuit Assassin!?” Minseok yelled slightly so that Kibum’s voice couldn’t be heard.

This time, Kibum didn’t protest.

Dohyun stared back at her friends as a dry smile etched itself on her lips, “Yeah, it was him.”

Kibum shook his head and crossed his arms, “Well, did you tell him what Taemin told you?”

She shook her head and pressed a button on the kettle so that the water could boil.

“I didn’t..”

“What!?” Kibum exclaimed.

“Why?” Myungsoo suddenly asked, speaking up for the first time.

“Because..” she fidgeted with the material of her apron and look up straight into Myungsoo’s eyes, “Because I want to confront him face-to-face instead of over a phone call or a measly text.”

Myungsoo stared at her in silence a little while longer before averting his gaze elsewhere.

“Yeah, I guess it’s better that way.” Minseok nodded in agreement and offered her a smile.

“Well then,” Myungsoo started, “what are you still doing here?”

She shared a look with her friends who all offered her comforting looks.

“Go ahead, your shifts done right? You should still hit the grocery store before it closes.”

~The Night Owl Café~

Two hours later, Jongin pulled up in front of the café and saw Kibum and Myungsoo standing outside the café, already closing up. Minseok probably went home already and he didn’t see Dohyun either. He got out of his car and made his way towards them.

“Hey, guys.” He called out to them.

They both turned around and almost instantly glared daggers at him causing him to stop in his tracks immediately.

“What do you want?” Kibum snapped.

Jongin held his hands up in defense, “I’m just here for Dohyun, I want to…no, I need to talk to her. Is she here?”

Myungsoo scoffed, “Do you see her here?”

Jongin clenched his firsts and glared back at them, “Okay, what’s your problem!? Both of you!?”

“Us!? What about you!?” Myungsoo shot back.

“Yeah! After what you were actually plan-“

Myungsoo immediately slapped his hand over Kibum’s mouth, not breaking his fierce glare with Jongin.

“Don’t, Kibum. Let Dohyun confront him herself.”

Kibum reluctantly nodded and Myungsoo slowly let go. Despite how calm he seemed he wanted nothing more than to let out a huge scream at the boy before him.

“Seeing as you’re not going to do it, may I?” Kibum dully asked. Myungsoo said nothing in return, “Take that as a yes.”

Kibum made his way towards Jongin and shook his wrist. “You said you’re her boyfriend and that you loved h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter