The Night Owl Café 21 100 Subscribers Special

The Night Owl Café
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The Night Owl Café 100 Subscribers Special

 

~Monday~

 

“Useless.”

“Quiet.”

“Desperate.”

“Stop it.”

“Uncreative.”

Jongin slammed his fist on his work desk, “Can you please keep your degrading comments to yourself!?”

Baekhyun casually shrugged and stretched his legs out on Jongin’s bed. “I’m just saying, you can do so much better than a flipping stuffed animal, Kai.”

Jongin couldn’t help but groan at his current predicament. Baekhyun was right. It was Dohyun’s birthday next week, good thing she told him or else he would have never known and would have felt awfully guilty if he hadn’t gotten her anything. Ever since he had made up his mind about taking this relationship seriously, he had tried to be the perfect boyfriend to her.

Going on dates as often as he could though she grew a bit bored by that so he improvised to go over to her place instead (much to Yixing’s displeasure but he didn’t care).

Trying to come up with a gift for Dohyun was hard.

“What do you suggest?” Jongin desperately asked his friend.

Baekhyun tapped his chin in thought, “How about a make-up set?”

“Dohyun doesn’t wear a lot of make-up, though…” he commented. It was something he had picked up whenever they went out, she wouldn’t go out of her way to look nice and she mainly wore lip gloss or eye pencil, other than that the rest of her make-up was barely used.

“Jewelry?” Baekhyun tried again.

Jongin tiredly shook his head and leaned his head against his palm, “She barely wears any, and it’ll be surprising if she owns any.”

“A list of reasons why you love her?”

Now there’s an idea.

“Baek, you’re a genius!” Jongin exclaimed.

“Tell me something new,” Baekhyun chuckled but then paused as he sat up straight to look at his friend, “Wait….Wait a minute. How are you going to make this list if you don’t love her? You can’t write a list of lies, what’s the point?”

Jongin silently chewed on his lower lip in silence as he watched Baekhyun’s face contort into shock, surprise and awe.

“You…You actually love her,” Baekhyun gasped.

“Rather say ‘like’ because that’s the terms we’re on now. Not friendship but not total lovers either but, I can still make this list because there are things I love about her I guess….”

“Hold on!” Baekhyun lifted his hands up, “You’re in love!?”

“Baekhyun if you aren’t going to help then kindly get out, please.” Jongin dully said.

‘Okay, sorry it’s just…This is phenomenal y’know? I feel like some kind of happy parent who is overjoyed that their good for nothing offspring is finally maturing!”

“See that handle on the door? If you turn it the door will open and then you can go out and if you move the door towards you and twist the handle the other way it’ll close. It’s awesome, you should try it.” Jongin dryly stated.

Baekhyun laughed as he got up and moved towards the door, “I have a date with my girl, anyway. All the best to you and getting your girlfriend a gift!”

“Baekhyun!”

“I’m going! Sheesh…”

Jongin relaxed in his desk chair when an audible click of the closing resounded.

Why was this so hard?

He could always message her and ask her what she wanted but than that wouldn’t be as effective. He wanted to catch the girl totally off guard.

“I could always get her a candy basket,” He thought aloud to himself but shook his head at the idea. Yixing would probably get to it before Dohyun could.

Flowers?

Nah..

Too cliché and overused.

He wanted to be more original.

A self-made dinner date?

Definite no.

He didn’t want to kill his girlfriend.

OH!

The two of them could go out to a fancy restaurant- never mind. Dohyun didn’t like being the center of attention or going to fancy places or even sitting in them as it felt too ‘professional’ and ‘cheesy’.

Jongin ruffled his hair in frustration and got up, taking his guitar in his hand and sitting on his bed while strumming a random tune to clear his mind.

Music was a great way to take your mind of things.

Music….

Music?

……

MUSIC.

“Kim Jongin you gorgeous smarty, you” he chuckled to himself and immediately grabbed a nearby page and pen with his guitar resting on his lap.

 

The Night Owl Café 100 Subscribers Special

 

~Wednesday~

 

Five more days left and then it would be her birthday…

Five more.

She hadn’t seen Jongin since Monday and when she asked him about it over the phone he told her it was nothing she should concern herself with and that he was fine.

Dohyun could barely believe it.

Each day she woke up thinking it was some insane dream due to taking in caffeine at odd hours only to be proven wrong every day when she woke up to a message from Jongin greeting her with a ‘good morning’ and asking if she was free.

She was in a relationship with Jongin.

She was his.

Time had passed since then, no longer were the days wet and stormy but they were now cold and freezing as the streets as well as the roof of the apartment was covered in blankets of snow. The café thrived at this time of the year as many customers would be present at the café seeking a warm beverage.

“Someone’s birthday’s coming up, huh?” Minseok cooed as he pinched her cheek.

“What’s the big deal?” She sighed and swatted his hand away as she poured some of the rich coffee into two cups.

“What do you mean what’s the big deal? This is your birthday, the day you were born. Conceived! We need to remember it by celebrating this joyous event!”

Dohyun shook her head and placed the cups on her tray, walking towards the table where a young couple was. Placing the drinks down, she smiled at them as they smiled back at her.

Watching them made her thoughts drift to her boyfriend.

Her boyfriend.

She was still trying to get used to that term after all this time.

Dohyun made her way back to the front only to be bombarded by Minseok again.

“Oh come on, don’t be such a stick in the mud!” Minseok pouted.

“It’s snowing.” She pointed out.

“Don’t be such an icicle in the freezer!”

Dohyun just couldn’t seem to find the excitement in her approaching birthday. Maybe because she outgrew that. Her birthday felt like a regular day to her now. The only difference being that it was the day she was born. She suddenly wondered if Jongin would remember. She had mentioned it to him when he asked her when her birthday was not too long ago and she found out when his was but unfortunately his was long passed.

“Really Minseok, it’s not a big deal.”

Kibum came out from behind the back with banana loafs and placed them on Myungsoo’s tray since the boy had just arrived back to the counter.

“You’re really difficult you know,” Kibum pointed out, “I mean, we could always th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter