Apology

Flower detectives

 

Baro's POV

I raised the knife high up, all ready to pierce through Jung Jinyoung’s chest. My heart can’t help but cheer. Finally, I can avenge for my dad.

But suddenly, someone dashed into the room and pushed Jinyoung down to the ground, replacing his position. The knife in my hand swang down in momentum. In realization of who it was, I tried to stop, but for a moment, I lost control of my hand.

I watched helplessly as the knife pierced itself into Sandeul’s chest, where his heart is. He stared at me wide-eyed, tears filling his perfectly sculptured eyes. Disappointment and shock was obvious from his eyes.

I released my grip and staggered backwards, unable to believe that I had just stabbed Sandeul with my own hands.

I have never had a friend. A true friend. For the past two years, I have been living in a fake façade. The bad boy Baro, the mischevious and playful boy, was just an image I created deliberately for myself. Nobody saw through it, nobody could truly understand me. I have never truly felt happy in the company of anyone.

But Sanduel changed it all.

“Baro-ah.” Sandeul called. I looked at him. “Neh?” “Are you hiding something from us?” He suddenly asked. His usual cheerful expression was replaced with a stern one. I stared at him blankly, while my mind was actively scripting out the perfect lie. “Neh… I hid food under my bed… That’s why there will be food missing at times…” I gave a sheepish smile to make my lie seem more convincing. Sandeul’s face fell. “It’s okay. I will make you tell me one day, when you trust me enough.” I looked at him in shock.

It was obvious. He knew that the usual me was nothing but a façade, he knew I was hiding something. He could tell through my lie even when there isn’t a single loophole in it. From then, I knew that he is going to be someone special in my life. I tried to stop myself from getting too emotionally attached to him by pissing him off. But it didn’t work.

I guess it’s official. Sandeul is my best friend. But after that stab, I guess I will have to replace ‘is’ with ‘was’.

I continued staggering backwards until I stumbled onto something. I span around. A body was lying lifelessly in a pool of blood. His last emotion before his soul left his body was still visible at the way his eyes gaped wide open, and so does his mouth. Shock.

It was Minho, the person that I stabbed personally.

I killed him.

From the corner of my eyes, I caught another figure on the ground. My eyes widened in horror as I made a slow 360 degrees turn to check my surrounding.

I was surrounded by a circle created by the seven bodies.

A sudden wave of guilt hit me. It was so overwhelming that my head got giddy for a few seconds. Tears started invading my eyes as my eyes landed on the last body of the circle, right next to Minho’s. Sandeul.

I tried to divert my attention from the horrible feeling by looking over at Jung Jinyoung’s dead body. But everything doesn’t make sense.

I should feel happy; I should feel accomplished for bringing the son of one of the greatest detectives in Korea down to his death. I should feel overjoyed for avenging appa’s death. But I felt none of those. All I felt was the same guilt that hit me over and over again as the different bodies came into sight. All the memories related to them flashed through my mind one by one.

How Gami would get violent when I hid her green tea away as a prank.

How Suzy’s innocent gaze would make me soften when I wanted to play a prank on her.

How Shinwoo would share with me the tricks to getting girls like a big brother.

How Gongchan would do those aegyos of his to force me to agree into things. He taught me a little too.

How Fei swept me away with her beauty and perfection when I first met her.

How I empathized with Minho when I knew of his predicament.

How Sandeul could understand me without any word spoken.

Even how Jinyoung would keep his poker face most of the times but deep down he actually cares for us as his dongsaengs.

I fell to my knees and let out a scream of despair. I made a mistake, a grave mistake. The people who cared for me and I cared for unknowingly, died, because of me. A deep sense of regret hit my already-suffering heart.

I hurt them for no purpose, I realized. Doing this won’t bring Appa back to life. It does nothing to help in the situation, it only worsens it. It was all because of hatred, the overwhelming sense of hatred that buried any sense of logic for the past two years.

Suddenly, I felt a huge impact on my body. It was as though something really big and heavy like a lorry crashed into me. My eyes shot open.

I am in a whole new different environment. The ceiling was painted white, a vast difference from the plain and old-looking ceiling of the factory.  It is also significantly brighter here. A sharp pain shot through my body. I lifted my head up a little from the pillow and looked over at the source of the pain.

 My legs. They were mummified with a huge cast and left hovering on top of the bed. 

Hospital…I concluded my location.

Suddenly, I heard some shuffling noises outside of my single ward. I laid back down on the bed and closed my eyes.

 

Narrator’s POV

"Baro..." Sandeul mumbled as he sat beside the bed with the help of Jinyoung and Shinwoo. He stared at the blonde boy lying on the hospital bed, unconscious. He remembered the days whereby they would bicker with each other, but could never do without one another. They were so bonded, that Sandeul thought that he could never be as close to anyone else in the future. He has always treated Baro as his best friend, but why must Baro be the one? 

A single tear escaped from his eyes. The three on-lookers gave each other a worried look for Sandeul. It was the first time that they saw the cheerful and optimistic Sandeul tear. 

"How is he?" Sandeul asked as he quickly wiped the tear away. Jinyoung gave a sigh before replying. "He is generally fine, he should be waking up soon. But..." Jinyoung paused, wondering how would Sandeul feel if he broke the news to him. "He broke his legs. He can still walk after some physiotherapy, but he can never run again." Jinyoung studied the expression of the younger boy intently. 

"What a pity... Baro used to be such a fast runner." Sandeul stated plainly. The usual hyper boy's voice has never been this emotionless. Shinwoo gave a friendly pat on Sandeul's back. Sandeul gave a weak smile in return.

"Hey, look!" Gami brought the attention of the four to Baro's fingers, which are twitching lightly. "Baro, baro!" Sandeul called as he shook the blonde boy with only one hand. Baro's eyeballs darted around with his eyelid still down. After a few seconds, his eyelids fluttered open. 

"You are awake!" Jinyoung exclaimed.  The awakened Baro shot Jinyoung a glare.

“Mianhae…” It was soft, but clear and steady. Everyone stared at Jinyoung in disbelief. “It was, indeed part of Appa's and my fault that the tragedy occurred.” Jinyoung admitted.

“Jung Jinyoung, are you stupid or something?!” Baro raised his voice. “I tried to kill you; I should be the one apologizing! I should be the one apologizing for starting this silly revenge!” Baro blurted out as the tears shone in his big eyes. The stares initially on Jinyoung transferred over to Baro. Baro took in a deep breath and softened.

“I am sorry.”

It was short and simple, but sincere. It was all the group need. Gami, Shinwoo, Sandeul and Jinyoung all broke into a smile.

Sandeul started laughing out of nowhere. It was weird, but the others didn’t find it new or anything. It’s Sandeul they are talking about. The others shot him a weird look, but joined in eventually.

Laughter echoed through the ward. They were laughing for no reason, but they all just felt like doing so.

 

A/N: Oh my god, 'Sky' is such a good song! I fell in love with the B1A4 boys all over again! 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZISCOKgjRo8&feature=player_embedded