░ Chapter 16 ░

◄◄The Play House ►►

Author Note: I don't think I've said thank you in a while but thank you all who comment all the time (they're my fav part of writing~) and thank you for 90+ subs (Subs and non-subs thank you~) and thank you for reading the author notes so I don't feel like I'm talking to myself xD♥

I miss the Tuan Manor so we'll be heading back shortly and it's a very wordy, information-y, conversation heavy chapter so please be prepared and please enjoy this week's Playhouse m(_ _)m Do you want to play?
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
The Demon's giant steps echoed in the darkness. There was fog circling the floor, it could feel the small beads of condensation on it's scaley tail as it dragged across the ground. It's piercing blue eyes began to glow but still it saw nothing.

It roared, a roar rivaling that of the great lion in volume and fierocity but the sounds were being swallowed up by the darkness. Suddenly blackness became tangible and transformed into tentacles, wrapping themselves around the Demon's wrists and ankles and pulled the massive beast to the floor mercilessly.

As it's head crashed to the floor it growled as a tentacle wrapped around it's neck keeping it in place. The temperature around it was dropping, the fog turning into frost and the Demon jolted it's body trying to break free but to no avail.

It clenched it's eyes closed and continued to struggle, wanting to be free, and suddenly something happened. The tentacles slowly unraveled themselves from it's body and a warm glow began to envelope the Demon.

Cautious of the unknown presence the Demon roared viciously and pounded it's mighty fists on the ground, a warning to stay away, it was scared, uncertain, but the warmth continued to envelope it and soon it relaxed and it let the unknown take it over.


Mark's eyes slowly opened, his iris' glowing a vibrant blue then it dulled and faded. His body felt heavy and his vision was blurred but he felt....at peace? He blinked the sleep out of his eyes and finally noticed his head was being covered.

He yawned wide, his fangs fully elongated and he sat up slowly and stretched his arms over head. As his hands landed back by his sides he looked over lazily as his fingers brushed something soft.

He furrowed his eyebrows a bit as he took in the sight of a folded blanket that wasn't there when he had gone to sleep and Chrysalis' fingers were clutching onto her pink pillow but it wasn't to her chest as it normally was.

He rolled his shoulders to relieve the stiffness and bits and pieces of his night began to replay in his head. It had been loud again, as always, cars honking, people yelling, and his patience was beginning to run very thin.

That's when she did it. Feeling Mark's unease Chrysalis awoke groggily and looked around through half open lids. She tugged off her blanket and folded it up into a cushion and placed it beside her.

Very carefully she pulled his body onto it and after his tense torso finally relaxed she laid back down and gently held her pink pillow over his ears to block out the noise.

She yawned one last time before falling asleep once again with her arm outstretched and keeping the pillow in place. Mark smiled and shook his head but as he took a closer look at her sleeping form he grimaced as he took in a sharp breath.

Her shirt was riding up to her waist and there was a fresh bruise on her ribs.

"Pretty....Pretty wake up now"

She groaned softly and lifted her hand to swat him away but Mark wasn't in a playful mood at all at the moment. He grabbed her hand firmly but to his surprise she pulled him down to her, his face now mere inches from hers and she cuddled his hand tightly.

Her breath from her parted lips caressed his face and he laid frozen, captivated but remembering the issue at hand he frowned again and continued to call her name.

"Chrysalis wake up"
"I'm up.....I'm up......up....."
"What happened to you?"
"You woke me up Master...."
"No I mean.....ugh"

Frustrated with his half conscious Doll he slowly got up and sat her upright and his breath hitched as she lazily fell forward into his chest, her head resting against his shoulder.

His heart rattled softly in his chest as he raised his arms to wrap around her and he lowered his chin to sit on her head and his lips curled into a small boy-ish smile.

"I've never seen you like this Pretty"
"I'm very tired Master......"
"Why is that?"
"You kept me up"

Puzzled he slowly held her out at arms length and she yawned in his face making him frown.

"I did no such thing"
"You were having a nightmare I think Master. You kept thrashing about and growling......you growl weird.......it didn't....-yawn-.....sound human."

His inner Demon lowered it's head and looked a different way and Mark finally remembered the dream he had last night.

"I tried to wake you up. I kept shaking you and calling your name and there was a moment your elbow collided with my side and it hurt....really bad....and pebbles fell from the rooftops, I think Master Jaebeom and Master Jinyoung were concerned....."
"And then what happened?"
"I cuddled you Master"
"Pardon?"

Chrysalis stretched her arms over her head and slapped her cheeks a few times and she yawned cutely.

"After placing the pillow over your ears again and holding it with my hand I pinned your arm to your side with mine, threw my leg over yours and squished my face into your back and no pun intended Master but you stopped like magic..."
"Are you joking with me again this early in the morning Pretty?"
"No Master I'm telling the truth...."

She lifted up her shirt and her eyes widened slightly from the sight of the bruise left on her side and she chuckled weakly.

"You got me good Master"

Not amused with her reaction to the situation Mark glared and placed his hand on her face ready to activate her seal and heal her wound but she gasped and poked his nose quickly.

"Masters said no magic!"

He pouted and wiggled his nose making her smile and he sighed.

"Thank you"
"Your welcome Master"
"No not for reminding me but for helping me sleep last night.....surprisingly I feel great"

She smiled and nodded her head happily and she watched as Mark got out of their cubby first and held a hand out to her with a smile. His smile faded as she playfully brushed by him and ignored his gesture.

"That was very rude Pretty"
"Now you know how it feels Master"
"My apologizes"

As the two walked to the Church Mark kept his gaze forward with his hands in his pockets and Chrysalis took the opportunity to study his profile. She's been with her Master for quite sometime now yet she's never really had the chance to appreciate his looks, even as a beggar he was handsome.

Feeling her eyes on him he looked down at her with a raised eye brow and she shook her head embarrassedly and brought her attention forward and her flustered actions made Mark chuckle.

Once again they were right on time and as they waited on line Chrysalis kicked a stone softly with her foot.

"Master may I ask you something"
"Of course you may"
"Could I learn more about you?"

Mark looked down at her surprised by her request and wasn't quite sure of what she meant.

"As in like my favorite food or movies and such?"
"No...well that would be nice to know too.....but I mean more about...Demons?"

Everyone turned their head towards Mark as he erupted in a bright laughter courteous of his good mood from sleeping so well.

"Why must you say it that way? As if it's an icky word."
"Master did you just say icky??"
"Yes yes I did hahaha"

His laughter was high pitched and full of life and Chrysalis couldn't help but giggle along as she lowered her head shyly.

"What would you like to know?"
"Well first off.....I don't want to ruin your good mood but.....can Demon's see in the dark?"

Their faces fell as they recalled the darkness from the Ball that kept anyone from aiding Rea during her fight.

"Can we see in complete darkness, the answer is no."
"That's actually surprising"
"I do believe there are some Demons who have that as an ability but none were at the Ball that night. We have very strong eyes, we can see our surroundings with even the tiniest hint of light but not in complete darkness. But as a Puppeteer I can see my soul resonating in my Dolls in the darkness so I knew where all of you were at the time......but yet I still couldn't do anything for her....."

Chrysalis took a step closer to his side and nudged her hip to his and smiled comfortingly.

"Okay next question abilities and magic then? Do all Demons have them?"
"All Demons share certain traits. We're durable, we blur, and we're very strong but that's as far as it goes and we're also very different. But not all Demons have abilities and magic and those that do are considered high class."
"What's your ability Master?"
"I'm sturdier than the average Demon and can heal"
"Others can't heal?"
"Sadly no, it's a very rare ability"
"Well aren't you special"
"Is that sarcasm in your tone Pretty?"
"No Master of course not"

After explaining to her about his friend's abilities they had finally arrived at the serving station and Chrysalis held her breath as the volunteer gave Mark his food but she was pleasantly surprised when he smiled at her and thanked her politely.

He watched his footing this time, pardoning himself and flashing people disarming smiles and they arrived at their designated corner. As they sat Mark caught Chrysalis smiling at him and he chuckled.

"What now?"
"Nothing I'm just very proud of you for not being a stick in the mud like you usually are"
"I think you're starting to forget that I'm your Master Pretty"
"With all due respect Master as of the moment I am not your Doll"

Mark was surprised by Chrysalis' boldness and he narrowed his eyes seductively.

"That's true...to an extent....Mark"
"Huh?"
"Since I'm not your Master, then call me by my name"
"Are you challenging me Master?"
"Maybe?"

The two held steady gazes as she decided what her next course of action would be. He was still technically her Master, but he did give her permission to do so...

"Ma..."
"Yes..."
"M....."
"Mhmmm??"
"Mar....Master"
"HAHAHA!"

With her boldness evaporating Chrysalis sighed Master and began to eat her food quietly as the Demon laughed at her.

"Oh come now Pretty don't ruin the fun. I give you permission to do so"
"It's okay"
"Please?"

She looked up surprised at his plead. He held his head in his hand with a lop-sided smile and his eyes twinkling.

"I want to hear you say my name. Please?"

Chrysalis chewed on her lower lip nervously and the bright twinkle in his eyes turned into something more lustful.

"Mark.....Mark Tuan"

She said shyly and as Mark blinked the lust disappeared and his eyes glowed a warm blue as even his inner Demon turned it's head to face the one calling to him.

"Do the others get to call you by your name Master ugh I mean Mark?"
"They may have had it slip out once or thrice....."
"Master are you blushing?"
"No!"

He brought his rice to his face and began to pick at it with his chopsticks absent mindedly to keep himself from leaping at her and tearing her clothes off.

"Anymore Demon related questions?"
"I think that's all I'm curious about thank you"
"You haven't really learned much hahaha"
"Fine. Do Demons have fears? Weaknesses? Do you guys fight Angels or something?"
"You read too many of Karin's mangas my Pretty."

Noticing a little girl staring at him from the corner of his eye Mark turned his head to smile at her. She was staring at his bread roll he had yet to touch. Following her gaze she frowned as he picked it up and her eyes rounded as he stabbed the inside with his spoon then poured some curry into it.

Walking over the child's mother apologized for her daughter's staring and Mark stunned the stuttering woman with a smile and shook his head.

"Are you still hungry little one?"
".....-nods-"

He held out the bun to her and she shyly clutched onto her mother's tattered clothing.

"It's alright you may have it"
"Sir that's very kind of you but....."
"I insist. She's a growing girl and growing girls need food to become big and strong and beautiful"

The little girl's face flushed and she grabbed the roll and nodded her head gratefully. Mark ruffled her dirty blonde hair and returned to his spot where he left Chrysalis speechless.

"If you have something to say then say it"
"That was very kind of you Mark"

His eyes flashed a warm blue involuntarily from the sound of his name on her lips and he thanked his luck that she didn't see it. His inner Demon turned it's back towards her but it subtly peered over it's shoulder.

"Fears? I've already told you I'm afraid of spiders, Jackson's afraid of heights so good thing he's not a flying Demon. We have fears, it just let's us know we're alive. Angels? Not like those in the human bible but there are other magical creatures in the world but we tend to stay away from each other you know? Demons stay in the Demon Realm, Fairies in the Fairy Realm and such....."
"So enchanted forests exists too?"
"You've been in the maze Pretty I don't think enchanted forests are so hard to believe in haha"
"Can we travel around the Demon Realm sometime?"
"To be honest I was thinking about it......"

Mark brought his hand under his chin as he thought about it and Chrysalis' eyes lit up with intrigue. Other creatures exists, Demons sound terrifying yet super interesting, her mind was, what does Talia usually say? Her mind was blown.

"And weaknesses?"
"It's not easy to kill a Demon that's for sure."
"Can't you get set on fire or dissolve from holy water or something?"
"Your jokes know no bound do they? That actually hurts Pretty"
"I'm so sorry."
"Only joking but no there's no special weaknesses, we're not exactly allerigic to light or such but some Demons do get hurt by certain elements, we can beat each other to death....wow....now that I think about it we can be destroyed very easily......hahaha but the only way to kill a demon instantly is to kill it's....you know what, you don't need to know"

Chrysalis blew out air in frustration that he stopped at the interesting part but the look in his eye told her not to press on further.

"What about Demon realm women? Like Miss Sunmi"
"Ahhhh so you finally bring her up huh"
"Not like that!"

The two laughed and bumped shoulders as they crossed the street to get back to their alley.

"Demon realm women aren't exactly demons perse, they don't have a demonic form though if you ask me all women are demons reguardless of species hahaha They can live for as long as a Demon, they don't have special powers and......"
"So they're just long lasting humans?"
"Hahaha not really, they too have heightened abilities but not as much as an actual Demon."
"So Miss Sunmi could throw me across the room with one hand?"
"She could but wouldn't because she wouldn't want to break a nail hahaha"

Mark yelped as Chrysalis pulled him towards the opposite direction of the alley.

"Where are we going?"
"It's going to rain~"
"I see that but shouldn't we seek shelter?"
"Nope~"

The skies began to get darker and darker as the two continued to venture in the concrete jungle known as Seoul. They had now been walking for hours towards a certain destination and Mark was getting impatient again as were the Demons dropping pebbles from the sky.

"We've been walking forever where are we going"
"Trust me~ Why don't you tell me more about Miss Sunmi to keep yourself preoccupied"
"We're just friends"

He stated bluntly and Chrysalis stopped walking and looked at him with a raised eyebrow and he mirrored her gesture.

"Just friends?"
"Yes, we've been friends for quite some time now. We met through mutual friends and what is the human term for it? Hooked up once and we've been connected since then."
"But you guys are always kissing and cuddling and such"
"Chrysalis are you jealous?"
"No"

She said dead pan and it felt like a slap to Mark's face.

"She likes you Master, more than as a friend"
"And what are you a love expert?"
"No, Mari is~"
"Well she may like me but I don't like her more than just as a friend and never will but don't tell anyone I told you"
"Demons are so confusing...."
"Not just Demons Pretty, men"
"UGH MEEEEEENNNNNNNN"

Chrysalis imitated Mari and threw her arms in the air dramatically and the two laughed and she sighed.

"I miss home, I know it's only been a week but it feels longer."
"I miss my bed.....and doing things to my ladies in my bed......"
"Demons....."
"Men Chrysalis"

Mark's eyes wandered around as they had finally reached their destination. A very large park that looked like a small forest. There was a wooden bridge traveling inside and Chrysalis tugged his hand excitedly.

"I didn't think a place like this would be near the city"
"It's not that's why we walked so far"

As she smiled up at him a single drop of rain had fallen from the grey skies and landed on her cheek and her eyes glittered like gold.

"I love the rain. Come on!"

The drizzle came down softly, spotting their tattered clothing and as people ran out of the park they were the only two running deeper into it. The wooden boards creaked under their weight and the wood darkened from the moisture.

It was coming down a bit heavier now, the sound of drops hitting the ground became a soft, steady, song that she could almost dance to. Mark held his hood over his head and watched as Chrysalis ran full speed ahead with the demeanor of a child.

It was coming down hard now, the Earth was being blanketed in sheets of rain and Chrys laughed as Mark began to slip and slide behind her.

"Where are we...."
"There!"

At the end of the bridge led to a big circular platform with a small hut and a bench swing. The place looked like a spider web with different bridges connecting to the center and it looked as though it was floating in the center of the trees.

Mark ducked into the little shelter and shook himself out and when he looked to his side his eyes rounded as Chrysalis wasn't there. He looked out and found her standing in front of the swing, stretching her arms high over her head with her hands opening and closing and she sighed happily.

Her clothes were soaked, sticking to her and outlining her subtle beggar curves, the grime of the alley was washing away and her cheeks were blushing from the chilly air.

"Come on Mark!"

She called excitedly and he shook his head and crossed his arms.

"Oh come now Mark don't ruin the fun!"

She taunted him with his words from earlier and he smirked and hopped over the railing to stand by her side. He cupped his hands together to gather water and washed his face and he sighed in bliss.

"It's my favorite part of the rain, it's like the world is getting wiped clean"

She sat on the bench and kicked her legs to swing and it rocked as he sat next to her. He followed her gaze, tilting his head up to look up at the trees and something about the rain rolling off the deep green leaves of the mighty trees was very soothing and the magic was you couldn't even see the sky only the leafy tops.

The air smelt clean and crisp and the sound could rival that of the sweetest lullaby.

"Do you really hate humans Master?"
"Yes"
"Why?"
"You lived in an alley and got attacked by workers at an orphanage that was suppose to be your sanctuary and you have the audacity to ask me why?"
"But you don't hate us?"
"If I hated you all I wouldn't keep you"

Mark was taken by surprise as Chrysalis yawned and laid down with her head in his lap looking up at him. She played with the strings of his hoodie absent mindedly, her eyes in a dreamy state and her lips curved into a small sweet smile and he slowly, timidly, grabbed her hand in his and laced their fingers together.

"Do you hate me Pretty?"
"Hmmm?"
"Because I'm a Demon?"
"Of course not. Sure you can get scary sometimes but I could never hate you. You're Master Mark Tuan, you laugh weird and like weird sweet tea drinks and movies and games and boarding and causing others pain but in a playful way.....to me you're just like anybody else."

Mark's blue eyes flickered in conflict. He....he couldn't help it....he didn't want to be just anybody else to her.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Author Note: Don't you hate when your favorite television series ends for the season and you don't know what to do with yourself? I'm currently feeling that way now, annoyed and frustrated and I'm going to take it out on all of you so prepare for another Double update D:<