░ Chapter 10 ░

◄◄The Play House ►►

Author Note: I'm having internet problems again I knew I shouldn't have released that extra chapter yet lol Oh well. I smell preparations for a Grand Ball \o/ Please enjoy this week's Playhouse m(_ _)m Do you want to play?
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Karin stared at the giant double doors through her massive frames. She had been standing there for a good five minutes trying to find the bravery to knock on her Master's door.

There was something that she wanted, really badly, and depending on the Master's mood he may humor her and give it to her or question her sanity and brush her off as if she were joking.

"How long are you planning to stand there Precious?"

Mark chuckled with his arms across his chest as Karin hopped in surprise from him popping up behind her. She turned around and bowed respectfully and moved out of his way allowing him to enter his room.

Not able to find her voice Karin began down the hall when he called for her amusedly.

"After all the trouble you went to to ask me something you're just going to leave?"

While organizing the murder files on his desk into a pile Karin came up next to him and shifted her weight from foot to foot.

"It's just......I....."
"Yes Dear what is it?"

Karin dropped her arms to her side and stood tall while squeezing her eyes shut tightly.

"I want a pet Penguin, Master"

Mark turned his head to his shy Doll with a raised eyebrow. He waved his hand infront of her closed eyes and chuckled as she didn't respond.

"Why on earth would you want a pet penguin Karin?"
"I'd just really like one......"
"You couldn't ask for a dog or a cat or maybe a chinchilla?"
"No Master, I'd really like a penguin."

He shook his head in disbelief and placed a quick kiss on her thin lips to make her relax and open her eyes. Laying out the crime scene photos Mark began to lecture her on the responsibilties of having a pet. With each valid point like where would the penguin sleep Karin nodded in defeat.

"Oh?"

She reached out for a specific photo of the victims laid out in a row with their hands on their chest and her eyebrows furrowed. Mark quickly snatched the photo away from her and placed it back on the table.

"This doesn't concern you Precious, if that's all you wanted then you may leave."
"But Master that photo, the bodies are laid out in what covenant books call the "Eternal Peace" pose"

Karin grabbed Mark's hand and intertwined their fingers and she brought him to her room to fetch the book she was mentioning and he watched her determind demeanor with fascination. 

"The "Eternal Peace" pose as stated is used to help the deceased find peace on their way to the after life though some believe that the bodies are laid that way to represent souls that were still trapped inside and couldn't escape."
"So what are you thinking Karin?"
"Well when you cross this information with the research you have, considering the malicious way that the hearts were ripped out I would say this was a revenge killing Master."

Processing the new information Mark nodded in agreement. A Doll killing potential doll candidates for revenge but what would the Doll's Master want revenge for? What revenge for this demon was so important that they would break rules and have themselves killed for it?

He grabbed the book from her hands, tucked it under his arm and fluffed her hair before pushing her back against the book case and slanting his lips over her.

Taken by surprise Karin gasped into his mouth and wrapped her arms around his neck while his free hand roamed her body. Sensing the uneasiness in her mind from her book shelf being rattled Mark tugged on her lip gently then released her. 

"I need to get this information to Master Jaebeom, thank you Precious"
"Your welcome Master"


"And one two three, one two three, one two three......"

Chrysalis held the old novel on her head as she watched Faun and Mari in fascination. Completely unphased by the teetering stacks of books on their heads they waltzed around the room with their eyes closed with Mona counting in time.

Their faces were serene and their movements graceful as they twirled around each other. It was almost time for one of Grand Master Jaebeom's Puppeteer Balls and the ladies were teaching Chrysalis about posture and elegance.

"Why isn't Talia doing anything?"

Chrysalis wondered as Talia just sat in a chair with her ankles crossed and her back straight and the twin twiled girl smiled at her with a peace sign.

"Because I don't do any dancing Chrys. I perform on stage with Master Youngjae's Dolls playing the music for the evening and this year I get to duet with Sonia on the Grand Piano."
"Who's Sonia?"
"Master Youngjae's pianist Doll silly."

Chrysalis' mouth formed an 'o' as she clapped for Talia's achievement. With new found determination she placed the novel back on her head and took stiff steps towards Mona who was smiling at her endearingly.

"Just keep practicing Dear you'll get the hang of it"
"Where's Rea and Karin Miss Mona?"
"Rea is practicing combat in the basement. She is one of the secret security guards requested by Master Jaebeom. It is against the rules for Dolls to be activated in the vicinity so she shall accompany Master Jinyoung's Carolyn and keep a look out for rule breakers. And Karin is helping Master Mark with research."

Mari twirled around gracefully and curtsied with a cute smile.

"Karin lives in books so balancing a stack on her head is nothing. Come on Chrys you need to be able to balance at least five on your head by the end of this practice!"
"Eh why so many??"
"Don't mind Mari Darling, she thinks she's in some competition with Grand Master Jaebeom's Dolls~"

Mari successfully swatted Faun's shoulder without disturbing the stack on either of the girl's heads.

"Because Master Jaebeom raises them to be Queens and I AM A QUEEN! I will not be outshined by that low life Elizabeth!"
"Who's Elizabeth?"
"A girl she had beef with back in the medieval times when she first became a Doll. Two snobby brats are bound to clash~"
"Shut up Talia!"
"My what language your Royal Pain in the Assness!"

Talia squealed and ran as Mari placed her books on the floor and chased her around the room and Mona sighed and shook her head while collecting the stack.

Chrysalis waddled over to Mona to get another book and pointed towards Faun who continued to twirl around gracefully.

"I didn't think Faun would be so good at this"
"She along side Mari are paganet Dolls Chrysalis. Poise, style and grace are something she's come to learn very quickly."

The raven haired girl frowned. Talia and Rea the combat dolls, Faun and Mari the Paegant Dolls, Karin was super knowledgable and it left Chrysalis to wonder what her role could be.

"Don't worry about that Dear, you're still new. You'll find your place"

Mona smiled reassuringly as she adjusted the stack on Chrysalis head. The Ball was a time for Puppeteers and their Dolls to mingle with others. Only selected demons were invited, those with honor, integritiy and respect so Dolls could enjoy themselves without too much worry.

It was also a time for demons to show off their beauties and the only downside was the off chance that the Puppeteers would trade away Dolls but Mark's girls didn't have to worry about that factor.

"Will Lady Sunmi be accompanying Master Mark this year?"

Mari asked as Talia held her in a head lock with a grin and Chrysalis blinked curiously as Mona's mouth set in a firm line and nodded her head.

"Who's Lady Sunmi?"
"One of Master Mark's suitors from the Demon realm. They've accompanied each other to the Ball for the past 50 years. I'm surprised they're not an item yet"
"Mari you're such a gossiper."
"Come on Faun you can't say you don't think about it too! She's beautiful, elegant, they would make a remarkable couple I'm so jealous."
"Enough chatter back to practicing Ladies"
"Yes Miss Mona"


Chrysalis pulled on the rope outside of Mari's door and entered with permission. Mari was wearing pink jeans and a Minnie mouse shirt as she laid on her stomach reading a romance novel.

"Welcome to my palace Chrysalis, what can I do for you?"

She patted the seat next to her gently and smiled as Chrysalis sat nervously with her hands on her lap. 

"Relax Sweetie I'm not going to nag your head off. You're not Faun or Talia hahaha what's the matter?"
"I was curious about some things"
"Like what?"
"You really love "Love." But since you're a Doll can you find love Mari?"

Mari's eyes glistened with both hope and sadness. It was true she loved the idea of being in love. Having the butterflies flutter in her stomach and be bound to a handsome Prince who would watch over her. But being a Doll put a hinder on things.

Most Puppeteers believe their Dolls to be just that, Dolls. Something to be played with and discarded but there were some Puppeteers who weren't so monstrous and still cared for the human being.

There were demons with male Dolls and she heard stories of how male and female Dolls could get together with their Master's permission and she had hoped one day Master Mark would do the same with her but she wasn't holding her breath. But overall she would always be completely devoted to her demon Master.

"Can Puppeteers and Dolls become a couple as well?"
"Chrysalis one of the rules is not to fall in love with your Master"
"But why? Miss Mona said it would be no good for both of them but I don't get it."
"Me either and everytime I try to ask her about it she just ignores me and changes the subject. But from Ball gossip I heard it's possible for a Doll of a different demon and a Puppteer to become a couple and some have but other than that I don't know what happened to them. Haven't heard anything about a Puppeteer falling for his own Doll though."

Mari flipped onto her back and raised her arms straight with the book over head and Chrysalis laid beside her.

"Have any of you fallen for Master Mark before?"
"Again it's against the rules but no none of us have. We love the Master but not in that way hahaha I don't think he's any of our types."
"What makes you say that?"
"Because we haven't fallen for him! He's handsome, powerful, kind on occassion and considerate with a bit of a temper and according to my novels he is super lovable. Maybe it's because he rescued us so we think of him more as a savior than a suitor."

Chrysalis grabbed one of the novels and flipped through the pages without reading. So demons were capable of love and compassion but how could they still be so cruel as to discard Dolls after hundreds of years due to boredom and not even be phased? There were some things she just would't learn to understand.

"So Demons always marry women from the demon world?"

"If the Demons are into that. Most of them aren't but yeah that's the jist of it. Demon realm women have no powers but still live longer than humans so it's only natural they get together but why do that when you can be a Puppeteer and have different women at your beck and call....maybe that's why Lady Sunmi isn't with the Master"

"Why does Miss Mona not like Lady Sunmi?"

"No idea. Ugh now you got me feeling all giddy with this romance talk! Do you want to accompany me in watching a Disney Princess movie?"

"Yes Please~"


Karin made her way back to her room with her after dinner cookie and stood curiously infront of a blue box that was blocking her door. She picked it up and ventured inside and she hummed curiously as she heard cooing.

She placed the box on her desk and removed the lid and inside was a pet carrier. She pulled it out by the plastic handle and her lips pulled back into a excited smile and her eyes sparkled.

Inside the small carrier was a small penguin, about the size of a hamster, waving at her. She opened the wire door and the dark blue bird with the yellow belly waddled it's way up her arm and sat on her shoulder and it waved once again.

"Choopa~"
"Hello! My name is Karin, did Master Mark give you to me?"

The little penguin nodded and Karin smiled with glee. 

"I'm going to name you Herbert! Is that okay?"
"Choopa!!"
"I'm going to take that as a yes~ I'll take very good care of you and we'll be the best of friends!"
"Choopa Choopa!!"

Mark listened in content at Karin's door as the little penguin cheered happily. A magic penguin for his magical Doll. It understood human language, was intelligent, small and portable, with all the characteristics of a real penguin that would suit Karin's needs and he wouldn't have to worry about it.

She deserved it after helping with the case and even Master Jaebeom was grateful. Sure it wasn't a dog or a cat but anything to make his Dolls happy.

"UGH!"

A sound of distraught had Mark blur to Chrysalis' room and without knocking he opened the door and chuckled at his Doll on the floor surrounded by books.

"What are you doing Pretty?"
"Trying to practice for the Ball, Master. Sorry to disturb you."

He shook his head and helped her off the floor, dusting off her pajamas then returned the books to the top of her head.

"Don't focus too much on the books Pretty and just focus on what you're doing, say dancing? Come."

He grabbed her hands in his pulling her towards his chest and it amazed Chrysalis that the books didn't falter. With one hand in hers and an arm around her waist Mark smiled and waltzed with Chrysalis around the room to the sound of imaginary music.

"Don't look down at your feet Pretty, just look at me."
"Yes Master"

She's never danced like this before. Round and round they twirled and her smile grew larger and larger the more she relaxed. Mark then tossed the books off to the side and continued to dance with her.

Dipping her, spinning her, holding her back against his chest with his face smiling down at hers he placed a swift kiss on her lips and spun her once more.

"You're a natural Chrysalis"
"It's because you're such a lovely dancer Master. Must be all the practice with Lady Sunmi."

Mark arched a curious eyebrow and pulled her to his chest with his face mere inches from hers.

"So you've heard about her have you?"
"I learned alot today. About the Ball, and about poise and I learned about love from Mari."
"My sweet romantic Mari. Mona's told me of how she dreams of a Prince and I do humor the thought of it."
"And?"
"Not now, I'm too selfish and want her all to myself just like the rest of you, but maybe one day. How about you Chrysalis, do you wish to find someone?"

She hadn't really thought about it. Sure it would be nice to live happily ever after like Mari's movies but she was a Doll and her life was at her Master's hands.

"Would you fall in love with one of your Dolls Master?"
 
Chrysalis blinked up at Mark and her question took him by surprise. His heart thumped excitedly in his chest for some reason and the two stopped dancing.

"Of course. I'm in love with all of you hence why you are all my Dolls."
"Not like that Master like actually "love". Why can't Dolls fall in love with their Master?"
"Are you saying you're in love with me Chrysalis?"
"No I'm not"

She said bluntly and her words were so true there was a stabbing pain in Mark's chest and his lips formed a bittersweet smile. Why did that bother him so?

There is a reason why Puppeteers and their Doll don't fall in love, he's been warned of this time and time again and he thought the idea of falling in love with his Doll was ridiculous but why did the thought of her not loving him......make him sad?

"Have you ever been in love Chrysalis?"
"No Master. Have you?"
"I wouldn't know. Curious little Pretty aren't you?"
"Mari says Lady Sunmi loves you, I just assumed you may love her too"
"As always you're quick at making assumptions. Allow me to silence that curious mouth of yours. On the bed now."
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Author Note: Everyone better be dressed to impress next week for the Ball okay no excuses~ I'm so excited I've been waiting for this! See you all next week for another PlayHouse m(_ _)m Do you still want to play?