░ Chapter 14 ░

◄◄The Play House ►►

Author Note: You know it's too late to function when you literally mis-spell Chapter 14 and it's your first actual word to write lol oh me oh my and it's been a while since I wrote a chapter here instead of on Word so let's count how many mistakes I make shall we? Please enjoy this week's PlayHouse m(_ _)m Do you want to play?
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Chrysalis sat innocent eyed in the regal style chair in Jaebeom's office with her hands in her lap as Mark, Jaebeom, and Jinyoung stood in front of her with their arms crossed and their brows furrowed.

Tension was rolling off the Demons in waves and the sound of Jinyoung tapping his delicate fingers on the table was only causing them further irritation.

"I don't like it."
"What's not to like Mark? It's so simple. Chrysalis will pretend to be the beggar she once was and we'll all be watching her from the roof tops. Killer comes and before they can even blink we'll have their head in our hands~"

Jinyoung clapped his hands, delighted with his master plan and Mark sighed deeply and shook his head.

"Have you forgotten the agility that monster has? It and Rea were practically teleporting all over the place during their fight. I'm fast but I'm not that fast. What if we're a second too late?"

The atmosphere once again dropped as another dilemma popped up in their plans to capture the assailant. First they weren't sure that they would actually appear, now they weren't sure they'd be able to apprehend them before they harm Chrysalis.

Jaebeom watched as Chrysalis squinted to read the spine of the novels in the shelf on the other side of the room. Mark had ordered her not to speak a word unless spoken to and the poor thing was getting bored even though her life was hanging in the balance.

His lips tugged up into a small grin and he raised his hand, his eyes flashing a deep green and her eyes widened in surprise as the chair she was sitting in began to levitate.

He and Jinyoung chuckled as she latched onto the arm rests, her nails digging into the deep red cushion as she floated around the table and landed in front of the bookcase.

"You may read whatever you'd like Chrysalis."

She turned her head around and nodded appreciatively before standing and grazing the old books with her hand curiously.

"Oh humans. That look on her face was priceless, don't you think Mark?"

Jinyoung was all smiles as he playfully jabbed Mark's shoulder but his smile faltered. Mark continued to stare daggers into the floor as his mind raced. This was a bad idea. They shouldn't do this. There has to be some other way. He can't keep her safe....

"Wait....."

He bit his lower lip and pushed himself off from the edge of the table. He ran his fingers through his dark hair and called his Doll over and she immediately placed the leather covered book back and returned to her Master's side.

"What....if I go with her?"
"What do you mean? You will be with her."
"No. I mean, what if I stay by her side?"

Jaebeom arched a brow, not comprehending what Mark was thinking and Jinyoung chuckled and shook his head in disbelief.

"You mean you want to pretend to be a beggar with her?"
"Of course I don't WANT to do it but......"

He looked over his shoulder at Chrysalis and when she caught his eyes she smiled. That was it. He was not taking no for an answer. Either he goes with her or she doesn't go at all.

"I don't know Ma......."
"Let him do it"

They all looked at Jaebeom who nodded his head and Mark's eyes softened in relief.

"All right then, I'll get to sewing"


Chrysalis sat on the cold basement floor with her knees to her chest as she stared up at Rea's floating form. Her seal had finally stopped flickering and was now glowing dully which filled the Tuan manor with tremendous relief.

Everything was set now, today was the day she would go back to her alleyway and wait for Rea's attacker with Master. She smiled all week, reassuring everyone she could do this when they asked her about it and the more she said it the more SHE didn't believe it.

Her stomach was churning constantly from nerves and fear. Fear of being attacked, fear of letting everyone down, but more importantly she feared she'd never leave the alley.

It was silly of her she knew, to think Master would find another suitable Doll while in the human realm and replace her, but that fear would always be in the back of her mind no matter if they were a complete set or not.

"You don't have to do this if you don't want to"

Chrys turned and bowed her head to Mona who smiled sadly. Her heels echoed off the stone walls and she gracefully knelt next to Chrys and pulled her body into her chest and she rubbed her arm soothingly.

She physically relaxed from Mona's touch and she sighed and shook her head.

"I want to. I have to."
"You don't have to Chrysalis. Master Mark had said you could withdraw from the plan at any moment."
"I'm fine Miss Mona. I promise."

Mona could still hear the hesitation in her voice despite her trying to sound confident and that made her smile. She was human after all, she was allowed to be scared....but she was human.....she could also be taken away from her so easily.

"I have no doubt in my mind that Master Mark will protect you, but please be safe and make sure to come back here okay?"

Chrysalis looked at the Marionette and nodded her head before wrapping her arms around her.

"I.....I love you Miss Mona."

Mona's glass eyes widened and she raised her arms to hug her back, tighter, she wanted to hold her so tight she wouldn't be able to let her go.

"Don't sound like you are not going to return. I love you too Dear, very much, as does everyone here and remember there is nothing you can ever do that'll change that."

Up in the living room all who inhabited the manor stood warily around as Chrysalis took her spot by Mark's side in front of Jinyoung and Jaebeom. Mark looked down at her and grabbed her hand and squeezed it gently and she smiled.

"I worked really hard on these~"

Jinyoung snapped his fingers and Mark and Chrysalis lit up gold and their outfits changed. Mark was in a tattered gray sweatshirt with a huge rip in the shoulder revealing his pale skin. His denim jeans were faded and wrinkled and the zipper and button were non-functional. 

Chrysalis wore discolored khaki shorts and an oversized ragged long sleeve with a slit in the side. Her thigh socks were blotchy and had thread sticking out everywhere and Faun frowned.

"Master Jinyoung is such a great designer but these look like garbage? You worked so hard on stuff you literally could've just picked out of the trash?"

"I'm going to take that as a compliment Faun thank you. But these clothes are special. Chrysalis' outfit shields Mark's aura so it's as if she isn't his Doll. I'm not sure if the assailant can sense auras but I'd rather be safe than sorry than have them wait in the filth for nothing."

"And what's special about Master's outfit?"

"Nothing. I've just never seen him look so ragged"

Mark glared as Jinyoung chuckled and sensing this wasn't the time he cleared his throat awkwardly and motioned Jaebeom forward. 

"Don't be afraid okay?"

Chrysalis flinched as he placed his hand on her cheek and his eyes glowed green causing her skin to tingle. Cuts and bruises appeared all over her body, her skin became dingy and malnourished, her hair frizzed and knotted and it lost all shine yet she felt exactly the same.

He walked over to Mark and laughed as Mark smirked and held a hand out.

"Oh come now Mark don't be that way"
"Sorry Master but you're not my type"

The same happened to Mark. His skin became lack luster and his hair became frail and everyone couldn't believe that their Master could look like this.

"No wonder all Master Jaebeom's Doll's look so flawless, that's cheating...."
"And how is it cheating Mari?"
"I don't know sir but I'm sure it is"

Mark turned to Chrys and gave her a crooked smile.

"How do I look?"
"If I may speak out of line Master you look gross"

He chuckled weakly and lifted an arm to twirl her matted hair around his finger.

"And you my Pretty look ghastly as well"
"But it's okay, because we're still us on the inside no matter what the outside looks like"
"Well said."

Her eyes widened in alarm and she reached for her neck and Mark nodded reassuringly.

"Don't worry Pretty, your seal is concealed. We look completely and utterly like human beggars....."

Jaebeom squeezed his shoulder and smiled.

"You know we can't assist you with food and shelter and such? We need to act as inconspicuous as possible so we don't alarm the Killer which also means no magic Mark."

If the situation weren't so serious right now the whole room could've erupted in teasing laughter from the way Mark's face looked as if he were a child who was told he couldn't have candy.

"I trust you will look after him Chrysalis"
"Of course Master Jaebeom."
"The irony isn't lost on Mark is it?"

Mark sighed annoyed and turned to face the rest of his group.

"You'll keep them safe?"

Jackson and Xander nodded seriously. In Mark's absence he would be the one to watch over the manor and all who were in it. He wouldn't trust their safety with anyone else.

The younger would hover around Jaebeom's castle incase of emergency so if he needed to be contacted immediately he would be able to trade places with Youngjae who, though he seems like a calm soul, could become very aggressive in battle when provoked.

Chrysalis looked over at her sisters and nodded. They had said all they needed to say last night and were afraid if they hugged her now they wouldn't let her leave but as they were ready to depart Karin darted out and hugged her tightly.

"Don't go! Don't leave me!"

Herbert patted Karin's head softly and shook his head to clear his nostrils of Chrysalis' artificial stench. She patted Karin's head reassuringly and everyone was surprise when the shy girl glared up at Mark with teary eyes.

"You bring her back Master! If anything happens to her I'll never forgive you!"

Mark taken back by the unexpected aggression assumed Herbert's signature pose and saluted his hand to his head.

"I'll protect her with my life Karin, you know that"

She nodded and stepped back into Talia's embrace and the twin tailed girl winked.

"Master try to control yourself out there~ Alley ways aren't very romantic and it'd be hard to do the bow chicka wow wow anywhere"
"With all due respect Angel I'm going to pretend I didn't hear you say "bow chicka wow wow"

Faun pulled out two wooden sticks from her back with checkered handkerchiefs attached at the ends.

"It's not much but you can have an alley warming party with these snacks but sorry they're perishable"
"You're making it look like we ran away from home Faun"
"Just doing what I can Master~"

Mari revealed a little pillow and smiled weakly.

"Again it's not much but it's better than nothing, I know how you like to cuddle things in your sleep Chrys"

Chrys smiled and held the plush pink pillow to her chest.

"It smells like you Mari"
"Aren't you lucky? Better than the way you smell now jeez. But.....just come home safe.....Rea would want you home too"

Mona stood in front of the two and bowed to kiss the top of Chrys' head. She turned to Mark with an impassive face and he smiled.

"I never ask for anything impossible Master Mark, especially now, since I know it's not impossible, you two must come back safe and sound"
"Are you asking me or commanding me Mona?"

He chuckled and kissed the Marionette's forehead. He laced his finger's with Chrysalis' and matched her determined gaze and they left the manor with the double doors slowly closing behind them.


It was early evening by the time they had arrived to their destination. The sky was orange and purple as the sun began to set behind the Seoul skyline.

During the car ride Mark had asked how long they thought they would have to stay in the human realm and before the Demons could answer Chrysalis stated she'd wait as long as needed.

Her pale hand grazed the spot on the brick wall where she had been leaning that faithful day when she returned the bow to the school girl. The same day Miss Mona had found her and given her a new reason to live.

Mark watched her assess her surroundings with his hands in his pockets.

"Must be strange experiencing it like this after all this time....."
"Honestly, it feels like I never left. Nothing changed....unless you count the blood spatter and police tape"

Pebbles fell from the roof tops, a signal that Jaebeom and Jinyoung were around. Chrysalis nodded and grabbed Mark's hand and pulled him deeper into the dark alley.

His face scrunched up in utter disgust and he tightened his grip on hers. The air was rancid, the floor covered with discolored liquids and trash and Chrys smiled guiltily.

"Ummm....this alley was too gruesome for others so......"
"You stayed here because it kept you safe from others and you could be alone"

They came to a halt at the end of the pathway and stood in front of a green rusty dumpster. It had multiple dents in it, paint was peeling off revealing the silver underneath and brown rust was scattered around it.

Mark rubbed his eyes with his fingers and sighed deeply disturbed.

"Please tell me you didn't sleep in there Pretty."

She rubbed the back of her head and gave him a lop sided grin.

"Well...."

Mark looked up as the dumpster screeched against the concrete floor. Chrysalis was tugging the lower left hand corner and judging by the way her face was turning pink it must've been very heavy.

He quickly joined her and she groaned saying she could handle this making the Demon's eyes widen. Once the container was pulled out a bit Chrys dropped to the floor and sighed in relief.

"I slept here"

There was a hidden crack in the side of the building. Inside was a small compartment about the size of a bathroom stall. The floor was riddled with debris and shattered grey stone and the air was dusty but in the center was a pile of old blankets and fabrics where she used to lay.

The walls had little doodles on them from chalk and Chrys couldn't help but feel nostalgic. It wasn't exactly a five star hotel but it gave her shelter when she needed it and she thanked her lucky stars she stumbled upon it.

She crawled on her hands and knees to enter and patted the blankets to spread them out and she coughed from the dust. She wiped her watering eyes and motioned for Mark to come in and he bowed with a frown and ventured inside.

The area was so small that they were sitting shoulder to shoulder to fit and Mark's eyes widened when he saw the huge hole in the dumpster.

"Why did you move it? We could've just entered from the top and crawled through....."
"Well that face you made when you saw it.....it didn't look like you were too keen on jumping into it haha"

Mark chuckled and shook his head.

"Oh Pretty what am I going to do with you?"

The two faced each other with their backs resting against the walls and opened their pack away lunches from Faun. There was a sandwich and cookies and Chrysalis mentally thanked her for not packing too much.

From here on out they'd be eating very little to nothing and it'd be best not to have a big meal now. She picked up the sandwich and held it up to Mark.

"To Rea?"
"To Rea"

He nodded and smiled while tapping his sandwich with hers and the two nibbled away before the darkness had completely consumed them. Once they were finished Mark waved his hand in front of his face and glared. He couldn't see a damn thing.

"I...know it's...around here somewhere.....aha!~"

After moving a few stones and lifting the blankets Chrysalis had found her trusty crank lantern.

"Ow"
"So sorry Master"

Coming back to Mark's side she had accidentally sat on his hand making the Demon yelp. She began to crank the lever and the lantern came to life, the harder she cranked the brighter it lit up. Mark watched her face glow in the light and his frown deepened.

He's only been here for a few hours and he hated it the moment they arrived. He couldn't imagine the life she used to live, the life any of his Dolls used to live, but he knew he was about to learn the hard way.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Author Note: Will update again tomorrow but welcome back to the alley guys. You all seem very aggressive towards Sunmi so why don't we keep away from her for a bit lol o_o what's that smell?