C h a p t e r 2 7

The Salty, Vast Sea
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter


❝ Trust me, you don't want to become a siren. ❞       Seagulls swirled the sky above the trees with their nests. Jiyeon was leaned up against one of the trees, still in an unconcious state. Meanwhile, Joongki was examing her sleeping face. 

It was already daylight and he could clearly see the details of her facial features, features that belonged to Seungho. As Jiyeon's head begin to lean toward a particular direction, Joongki quickly caught her before she fell over. But the collision caused her to slowly wake from her sleep. 

She was immediately wide awake as she quickly look around the area. 

None of it was familiar. 

She then looked directly into Joongki's eyes as he sat before her. "You? Why are you here?"

Joongki sighed, "The question is why are we here?" 

Jiyeon dug her bare feet into the cool sand under the tree's shade as she tried to recall the last memory she had. The face of the black dragon before her flashed before her vision. 

"I—I remembered a black dragon." Jiyeon started. Joongki sighed sharply once more. 

"Kwon Sangwoo." Joongki named him instantly. 

"Who?" 

"Yoo Seungho's fostered father, the black dragon." 

Jiyeon remembered seeing one man the other day, who became a black dragon when Seungho refused to follow his orders. He was the black dragon. And he's Seungho's fostered father. 

"He must have brought me here, where are we?" Jiyeon questioned. Joongki shook his head. 

"I wish I knew." 

"Don't tell me." Jiyeon paused for a moment, hoping what she was about to say wasn't true, "They brought you here too without you knowing?"

Joongki nodded. Compare to when they first met, Joongki was more serious and mature now. "I was on my way to locate my buddy Jongsuk, if you remembered he's also a siren, the tallest one. But I was attacked before I could meet up with him. Then before I knew it, I woke up to you lying beside me." 

Jiyeon's eyes began to wander around the area some more, "There must be a way back, you're a mermaid right? Can't you at least try to find a way back?" 

"Merman," Joongki corrected her, "and no, I can't leave you here by yourself. Who knows what will happen to you if I leave." 

Jiyeon showed no emotion and instead frown a little, "I'll take care of myself, you just worry about finding a way back. We can't be far from home—"

"I said I can't leave you alone and I won't!" Joongki said aloud then calm himself with a heavy exhale, "Just sit here while I go find something for us to eat. If they notice we're gone, I'm sure they'll come searching for us instead." Joongki stood up and began to explore the small island in search of food. 

"Looked like a fight broke out between him and someone." Jongsuk said as he was squat in the center of the destroyed room. Soohyun, Gain, and Seyeon stood around and watch as he examined the room some more. 

"Can you make out who it may have been?" Gain asked. Soohyun looked over toward her but she took no notice of him. He knew it wasn't the time, but it bothered him. 

Why must she showed more concerns toward Seungho after confessing her feelings to him? 

"No." Jongsuk answered. 

"Could have been Sangwoo." Seyeon said. 

"Could have, but why would he fight the black king dragon?" Jongsuk asked. 

"Sangwoo must know he's with Soohyun's sister, didn't you say she's also missing?" Gain asked, looking over to Soohyun. 

"Yeah." Soohyun replied. 

"He must have taken her or tried to take her, that's why they fought." Gain pointed out. 

"But Jiyeon is human, she won't be able to breathe that long." Seyeon reminded. 

"That's why Seungho went after her." Gain said. 

"Then, do you believe Joongki knew of this too, leader?" Jongsuk asked, standing up from his squatting position. 

Gain sighed with her arms crossed, "Try contacting him again. If he's not around then he's certainly somewhere." 

"Alright." Jongsuk said. Gain turned to face Soohyun. Soohyun was about to utter something when Seyeon spoke up first. 

"Soohyun, can we have a moment in another room?" 

Soohyun followed Seyeon into an empty room and shut the door behind them. He stood by the door as she spun around to face him. "You were with her again, do you like her?" 

He knew who she was asking about. 

"I do." 

Seyeon scoffed a little, "How can you do this to me?" 

"Seyeon, I can explain." 

"You can explain but all I'll hear are your lies and excuses to back out of this. I know you would want me to believe and understand you, but I won't. I've tried to understand you too many times and all you've ever done is hurt and reject me." 

"I....You should know Seyeon....It's not easy, we can't control who we like....I know you know it well." Soohyun said. 

Se

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter