C h a p t e r 1 3

The Salty, Vast Sea
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
      Soohyun was sitting on the couch with Seungho standing just beside him. "I've put your bags in the room that Jiyeon sometimes uses when she comes over. And she's washing up in the tub."    By sometimes, Soohyun could tell that the other sometimes, Seungho and Jiyeon shared his bed.    "Seungho...."    "What?" Seungho asked in his usual calm voice.    "Whether you're Seunghyun or not. Whether you're Gain's fiance or not. I'll fight you for her. Gain won't be your fiancee nor your woman. She will be mine."    Seungho nodded once at that, "And whether you fight or not, I won't be fighting with you. I'm the only one who can go to wherever she is, whether it be the sea or here, on land. So unless she choose to remain here on land, you won't have a reason to fight with me if she returns to the sea."    Soohyun heard as Seungho walked away, most likely to check on Gain.    "I'm Seunghyun."    "You said you weren't Seunghyun, that you didn't process any abilities to become a siren. That Seunghyun was a myth."    "Should I show you? Becoming a siren, I do have it in my genes. That's why you saw me that day at the party. I told you, I was there. I was Seunghyun. Your parents didn't lie."   "No....Then why do you keep lying about Seunghyun being a myth?"    "Because I have Jiyeon. I didn't want a fiancee. But after your story about coming here to find me, how you must have been so desperate to meet me. I told myself to become clear. So you were correct. I am Seunghyun."    Soohyun let out a heavy sigh and shut his eyes to ease his thoughts a little.      I just need to do this for Seyeon, then I'll be able to go to Seoul and live there for the rest of my life. The life at sea. I want to forget it. Seungho thought to himself as he open the door to the bathtub.    Gain was sitting in the tub as she looked over to Seungho, watching him most carefully as he made his way toward her. "A mermaid has the ability to lure in any man with her beauty, but do you know what a merman is capable of?"    Gain didn't answer, but her eyes gave off her intent. She wanted to know.    Seungho sat on the toilet's cover and leaned forward a little. "Have you heard of the saying in the sea? It goes like this, 'any mermaid can win a man over with her beauty, but any merman can win a creature over with a buss.' What we call a buss, humans call it a kiss."    "So what...?"    "There's also another saying."    "What is it?"    Seungho flattened his eyes a little, "If a man does not die at a mermaid's presence, then it is not the man, but the mermaid that has fallen for the man's beauty."    "Are you saying because I didn't eat Soohyun, that I've developed some sort of attachment to him?"    "Have you?"    Seungho's question was almost automatic, which made Gain stopped. "I...."   "In a human world, liking does not exactly co-exist with mating. If you like Soohyun then you like him. Some humans mate even when they do not know each other."    "Why are you telling me this...?"    "Because I want to know how you feel."    "Why?" Gain questioned with a curious look.    "So I can plan my next agenda."    Gain scoffed a little, "What?"    "As I said before, a merman can capture another creature's feelings with a kiss. If you don't choose Soohyun within an amount of time then I'll steal you with a kiss."    "Why?"    Seungho lean back before answering her, "Just because."    "So what? If I choose Soohyun, what then?"    "You'll become human in order to stay with him. You have to keep your identity as a mermaid a secret."    "I'm lost. Are you trying to help me or not?"    "What makes you think I'm not trying to help you?"    "I don't know....It was just a feeling I had...." Something about Seungho's words wasn't exactly sincere as she sensed it, but she couldn't figure out what and which words.    "Well, come out after you wash. I'll be outside." Seungho reached around behind him to grab a blue dress and towel, "Dry yourself with this and then put this dress on. You can just throw the dress you're wearing onto the floor out here, I'll grab it later."    With that Seungho head out and shut the door to the restroom.    Gain sighed a little as she sat quietly, thinking about what to do. 

"What? How can you let him stay? Get rid of him." Seyeon said on the other line. 

"No. I have a plan." Seungho said calmly. 

"What plan?" 

"The kiss." 

"You're going to make her fall for you with that?" 

"It's the quickest way. Especially with Soohyun hanging around. The quicker she falls for me, the faster it'll hurt Soohyun."

"That's actually not a bad idea." Seyeon said with satisfaction, "When I asked for this favor, I knew it wasn't a waste if you were involved. I'll give you the days off so you can spend it in whatever way you'll like. And I'll take care of Jiyeon for you." 

"Thank you." Seungho said as he hung up the call first. 

He let out a sigh when he was about to step out of the room. But upon spinning around, something caught the corner of his eyes. He traced the invisible lines toward a magazine Jiyeon had left behind. 

Soohyun paced the ground in the room with his fingers pressed against his lips. He had his other hand around his hip. He heaved a low sigh as his mind drowned deeper and deeper with troubled thoughts. 

He was silently pondering whether

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter