C h a p t e r 1

The Salty, Vast Sea
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter


❝ W-what are you? ❞ ❝ A mermaid.❞       ❝ Dinner tonight at my place?❞

Along the horizon of the sea, the yellow sun was setting, thus lighting the sky in a wonder of burning red and oranges.

 

Soohyun kicked the sand along the beach with his dirty tennis shoes as he took little, stressed out steps toward a particular singled-out house just ahead of him.

 

A leathered brown bag was strapped around his shoulder and across his chest.

 

"You'll  make sure he gets it right?"

 

"Please help me deliver it to the right person! I don't want to hear of any mistakes!"

 

"This is important, I beg for your help."

 

When he signed up to be of the six mailmen for the whole Busan; he didn't expect to give any customer service. But recently the citizens there has been working him.

 

And he was stressed out.

 

On his way home, which was the usual route by the beach instead of the crappy sidewalk uphill, he kicked the sand with all his might.

 

Taking his stress and anger out on it. When he kicked too hard he either hurt his toes or he gets sand in his shoes.

 

Sometimes both, which irritated him even more.

 

But it does not stop him from kicking and kicking and kicking, until he was getting closer and closer to home.

 

Though he couldn't care less whether there were people around or not, little did he know, two pair of eyes were on him.

 

Coming from the direction from under the sea.

 

Her long hair flowed around her under the cold water. Her whole body hidden under the dark blue surface. Her clear eyes fixed on the profile of the angry human.

 

"Seunghyun...?"

 

Soohyun stopped in front of the house and reached his hand into his pocket. He froze. "My keys, where are my keys?" He began searching his pockets, openings in his clothes, and even the bag. "Great, the third lost key this month, Jiyeon's going to kill me."

 

He made his way toward the back and opened the wooden gate which were shoulder height.

 

He left it open and made his way past the little flower garden to the side and directly toward the glass door. He placed his hand on the handle and sighed heavily. "Please be unlock, please be unlock." He chanted.

 

Once he began to pull, it started sliding in the direction it was supposed to slide.

 

A breath of relief left his circled mouth.

 

Feeling too lucky he walked into the small kitchen without shutting the door. He opened the fridge and pulled out a bottle of cold water.

 

With a sound of refresh, he entered the short hallway that led to three different rooms; two of them are bedrooms and then one bathroom.

 

He followed the dark hallway toward the back and made a right turn. Inside the room he pull the bag off him and snapped off the buttons on his shirt, near his neck.

 

In the bathroom he was preparing his usual bath time by turning on the water in the tub after blocking the drain.

 

Back in his room, with his single bed, a drawer, and a desk where all of his messy papers were scattered; he was undressing comfortably.

 

Outside a woman with a golden fish tail was slowly making her way in. Once she passed through the glass-window doors, she felt an overwhelming wave of heat washing against her body, which was covered in sand.

 

She wanted to give up and retreat, but the foreign touch of the place caught her interest.

 

To her far left were sitting furnitures and a wooden table.

 

The ground wasn't anything like sand but the color of sand. Her pale hands were pressed against the hairiness of it. From a short distance she could hear the sound of beating water.

 

A sound she was familiar with.

 

Soohyun held the nicely folded set of clothes in one hand with a towel wrapped around his lower body. He sighed and scanned the room, in case he had forgotten something.

 

When he was positive he got everyone in hand, he left the room.

 

Around the corner he caught a glimpse of movement.

 

Beside the running water; there was another noise added to the former. It ruined the simple rhythm of running water. Water splashed out from the tub around the wall.

 

Soohyun suddenly felt scared. He took little and silent steps toward the tub.

 

When he got close enough he caught the eyes of a strange creature. He dropped everything.

 

"AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!"

 

 

 

At a three stories building, a woman entered the building freely. Her long pretty brown hair bounced in unison with her happy steps. She wore a headband over her head.

 

She skipped up the stairs onto the second floor. At one end of the room, which was covered with working desks and running computers, she peered over to a handsome man and woman.

 

With a delighted smile she called over to them, "Seungho! Seyeon!"

 

The talking pair stopped what they were discussing and turned to meet her eyes together.

 

She waved at them with her chest and stomach popped out.

 

"Oh Jiyeon, come over." The beautiful woman with darker, wavy brown hair called.

 

Jiyeon stuck out a happy tongue and ran around the desks to reach them. She stopped beside the man, Seungho, to face Seyeon.

 

"Sorry for stopping by without a notice." Jiyeon said. Seyeon smiled.

 

"You know you're welcome anytime with or without a notice."

 

Jiyeon let out a shy laugh, "Thank you Seyeon~"

 

The shorter woman nodded as a sign of welcome and kept her smile. Jiyeon then turned her attention to Seungho, who was looking down at her.

 

"Seungho, hello~" She whispered.

 

Seungho replied with a breathy smile. "Hello to you too."

 

"Are you almost done with work?" Jiyeon asked in her softest whisper.

 

Seungho was about to reply when a man cut in, "Seungho, can I get your signature for this real quick?"

 

"Yeah." Seungho took the clipboard given to him and grabbed a pen from the desk closest to him. He scanned the contents before signing.

 

Seyeon and Jiyeon were now looking at each other. "Ho

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter