Reality bites

EXO X Gossip Girl

I get into my limo and I'm greeted by the bright dimpled face of Yixing. I rush into his open embrace eagerly and kiss him longingly. Mmm...how I miss his kiss, his taste. 

We makeout passionately, our hands busily groping and roaming each other's bodies. I lean back and pull Yixing down with me as I lay back on the seat. Oh, how I miss his body pressing on me! My leg caresses Yixing's thigh and I reach down and his bottom, squeezing his tight buns as I arch my back and rub my pelvis against his groin. I moan into Yixing's mouth and am about to bring our bodies even nearer to increase the friction between us when Yixing breaks away from our kiss and sits bolt upright and teasingly remonstrates me, "Bo...no. Naughty gal!" 

"What? I didn't do anything? We're still fully clothed!"

Yixing laughs heartily, "Anyways, it seems like we're here already at Museum M! Shall we?" 

I look at Yixing's outstretched hand and deliberate. 

"Babe, I thought you're a fan of Escher too? Let's go, we'll enjoy this!"

"I... I don't know Yixing... It's too public. There so many people we know hanging out on the steps."

"Yeah, that's the whole point of it! It's time I stake my claim on you! Or...is that also exactly why you don't wish to come out? You don't wish to be seen with me? Are you... ashamed to be seen with me, Bo?"

"I... We... I don't know! I'm scared Yixing! We're so different! You and I! We come from such different worlds! We're good just in our own little world, but how can we ever function properly as a couple in the public eye, among our kind? Our backgrounds are so different! We hang out in different stratas of the societies, we lead different types of lives. I belong here, among the First and Second districts, while you live over there in the suburbs. How will we date? Our lifestyles are so different! Just look at how we tell the time! I'm wearing an heirloom Supercomplication timepiece while you wear Swatch. We eat at different class of establishments. We don't even drink the same water for crying out loud! You probably are fine quenching your thirst with tap water. But I don't even just settle for any bottled mineral water. I can only drink Isklide. Only the finest Danish artesian water touches these lips. And what kind of future can we possibly have? When we graduate and enter the real world, our socioeconomic and class differences will be even more glaringly obvious! The Bos of the world don't end up with Yixings. They never have and never will. We...we don't belong together! I... I don't wanna start something now that has no future, I don't wanna put my heart and soul into this relationship only to have it torn apart by the reality of our circumstances! I can't fall in love with you Yixing and have my heart broken later when we don't work out. I'll be devastated! I...I'll much rather not start anything now, so that we can remain as 'nothing' to each other than try our hand at creating something and be so invested in it, only to have it torn asunder! I won't be able to deal with that kind of heartache!" I break down in tears and sob.

"Hush baby...Ssh... Don't cry, Bo!" Yixing embraces me in his arms and pats my head as he tries to placate me in his soothing voice. "I didn't know you were bottling all these considerations inside. They must be overwhelming!"

I nod silently as I continue sobbing. Yixing kisses the top of my head and continues, "Well...let's try to go through them, shall we? Face these obstacles one by one?" I feel comforted as Yixing, instead of reacting angrily or insulted by my insinuations, listen calmly and chose to mollify me instead.

"Let's see, I won't deny the obvious fact that our parents' socioeconomic status are vastly different. Make that millions of dollars in difference."

I made a motion to interject but before I can utter a word, Yixing catches on and arches his brow, "Okaay... Billions of dollars in difference. Woah, how obscenely wealthy are your parents?! You know what. Don't answer. It's probably better if I don't know the details. Let me continue in my confident stride here. So where was I...? Yes, our current status quo is as such now, due to the disparity in our parents' wealth. But babe, we're not destined as tragic tropes in a Fitzgerald novel. Nope. I'll have you know Bo, I'm an intelligent, academically-inclined, ambitious young man and I fully intend to live up to my highest potential and make a roaring success of myself. So your concern about our future lives as adults? I may just level the playing field and narrow the distance between us, with my hardwork, dedication and if the right opportunity comes along. Granted, success and millions are never guaranteed to sheer hardwork. But let's just say I'm pretty sure I won't starve myself and my future partner. We live in a meritocracy for God's sake, Bo! Our society still rewards talent, ability and hardwork! 

As for now, the immediate future, again, I can't deny that our pocket money are nowhere on par. But while I'm technically poorer than you. I'm not actually impoverished! My family is middle-class you know? So I do have a decent pocket money which I like to supplement with interesting, well-paid, part-time jobs. So while I may not necessarily be able to indulge you in your taste for luxury goods and fine dining, I can still well afford to take you out on enjoyable dates at interesting places like that cafe we visited on our first theatre date. I can still pay for our theatre, movie, museum dates. And honestly Bo, with the trust fund you probably have, I hardly doubt the top criterion you have for your boyfriend is someone who can buy you expensive trinkets? You can more than afford to buy them yourself! Instead I can continue to woo and surprise you with less extravagant, albeit more meaningful, creative gifts! How's that?" Yixing winks. I keep quiet and contemplate meaningfully.

Yixing continues, "And when you do wish to live it up and wine and fine dine with me on our dates, we can always do so! You just have to get the check!" I open my mouth agape.

"Yixing. Are you telling me that you are fine with your girlfriend paying for your dates?!" I ask incredulous.

"Absolutely. It's the 21st century! Gender equality. Girls can pay for some dates. Also, I'm not gonna let my ego or some silly masculine pride get in the way and deny my rich girlfriend her pleasure of fine dining just because I can't face the fact that I can't afford it. I mean, come on. You and I know it's an undeniable fact that you are richer. The entire world knows it. Why should we pretend otherwise? It is what it is. Besides, when I earn my first million, I'll be able to return the favor and splurge on you then! Haha!" Yixing sure is optimistic.

"BUT. While I'm cool with accompanying you and letting you treat me to expensive meals. Please don't turn me into my sugar mommy and start buying me branded designer wares and try to transform my look. And Bo, don't be such a brand snob! By all accounts, Swatch is a good reputable watch brand! I'll have you know that it's a fact that affordable, battery-operated quartz watches actually do serve their time-keeping purpose more accurately than your mechanical timepieces. Besides, the death knell is probably sounding on luxury watches with the advent of smart watches. And yes, I can afford an Apple Watch if you're wondering. Just not the overpriced Apple Edition. But only rich idiots will get that anyway. But I digress. So yeah, my entire wardrobe may cost less than a mere wallet or hair accessory of yours, I don't know. But come on, you gotta admit I still look pretty well-put together. I hardly think I'm an embarrassment to be seen with!

And babe, you've got your glass half empty. Stop obsessing on the circumstantial differences between us, look at what we have in common! We are so similar in so many ways! We are both academically-inclined, equals in terms of intellect, so we communicate on par, we communicate par excellence! Honestly, our verbal communication is so stimulating, that I find our verbal trumps ual at times! We bond so well over our common interests in theatre, the arts, culture, literature. We share and understand the inside jokes and cultural references that so many of our peers miss. We both enjoy the esoteric! How rare is that? To find a soulmate who can understand and share so many common delights with you?! And to top it off, we're both sapiouals, so our ual chemistry is off the charts! I make you come every time we have ! Seriously Bo, I know you are relatively new to , but I guarantee you cannot find a better lover than me!" I blush.

"To wrap it up. Babe. You gotta chill. You do realise I'm not asking you to publicly announce our marriage right? I'm just asking that we date officially. Date publicly. Baby steps first, ok? Then we'll see how it goes from here?

Now, let's just take the first step and lose ourselves in the Magical World of Escher, shall we? Let's embark on this journey together, Bo?" 

I panic. Why is Yixing pushing me to make a decision so soon? Why must it be today? Why must it be now? My fight or flight response automatically kicks in. 

"I'm...I'm sorry, Yixing. I can't... And I'm afraid I won't ever be able to?"

Yixing's erstwhile confident mien crumples in confusion and he stutters, "But..but Bo. Despite of all that I've just said? Were you... were you listening?"

"I was. But ... I still can't. I can't! I'm sorry Yixing. Please just leave. Please... leave."

"I'm sorry you feel this way Bo. I wish you'll be braver." Yixing's watery eyes look deep into me, I look away. Yixing exits the limo crestfallen.