2nd Luck

Amulet

“Honey, come on, you’ve got to eat something. Sunny.” Her worried mother kept n knocking at her door with her other hand holding the food tray. It was already dinner and Sunny haven’t went down since breakfast.

The door slowly opened to her mother’s relief. “Whats wrong Sunny. You’ve been acting really strange lately.”

“Choi Sooyoung.”

“That neurosurgeon from the hospital? What about her?” Her mother asked as she put the tray on Sunny’s side table. She went to the window to open the curtains to let some light illuminate the room.

“I thought Im supposed to be lucky mom. That I can get whatever I want when I want to.. But Sooyoung mom.. How come she’s still not mine?” Sunny lazily threw herself on her bed. Her statement made her mom a little speechless considering how all she got from her mom as an answer was a barely audible “Ohh.”

“Is this the price I have to pay for being lucky with everything? Cause obviously, I never asked for anything before and now that I finally want to have something, I cant have it. Why cant I have her mom?”

Sunny’s mother sighed before sitting next to her caressed her hair,. “I don’t know honey. When Elder Liu gave us that amulet before you were born, she didn’t say anything about you being unlucky with your lovelife.”

“Why didn’t you ask for the consequences first mommy, before you took it?” Sunnny wasn’t mad, she’s just annoyed that the cost of her family being lucky at everything was her love life.

“Sorry honey. That time, when were in desperate need for money, elder Liu showed on our door step one night and handed me the amulet. She said to give it to my first born and it just happened to be you. Im really sorry honey, but maybe we can do something about it. Why don’t you eat now and have a good rest and tomorrow will go to the province to see Elder Liu, how about? Im sure she has something to change your fate.” Sunny only nodded at that and she willingly reached for her food.

“Anyway, can I ask you something?” Sunny gave her mother a confuse look. Its very rare that her mother sound so unsure more so asking her permission.

“Why Sooyoung?” Sunny choked as soon as she heard the question and her mother immediately came to her aide.

“Sorry, its just, I mean there’s a lot of doctors in the hospital, but why Sooyoung? She’s not really the best at socializing, not just the communication per se but her personality in general.”

How can Sunny not know, she’s experienced it a couple of times now, everytime she’s trying to reach out to the doctor, Sooyoung always has a way to push her away. “I don’t know mom. I just like her that much, I guess.” Her mother contemplated to say more but she decided not to, she never interfere with her daughter’s ordeal anyway in the first place unless she’s asked for then she’d be more willing to help. “We’ll leave after breakfast, okay?” Sunny nodded and her mother kissed the top of her head before leaving her room.

 

“What’s going on mom?” Sunny asked her mother as soon as they arrived at the elder woman’s house. The people that was wearing black clothes kind of scared Sunny a bit since it was the first time she’s been there.

“I don’t know honey. Come on, Lets see if we can talk to some people.” Sunny’s mother pulled her further towards the Liu manor where a woman not more than her 40’s greeted them.

“Hi, are you here for my mother? I saw you arrived and you looked lost.” The woman smiled at them, but there’s some sadness in it, Sunny can tell.

“Ahh yeah.. Is it possible to talk to her, I mean there’s a lot of people right now but its okay, we can wait.” Her mother said as they both look around.

“Sorry, but I don’t think that’s possible. You see, my mother died a week ago.” The woman’s face fell, her voice was sadder and lower than it sounded earlier.

“Oh my god.” Sunny blinked while her mother placed her palm right I front of her agape mouth. “ How?”

“Car accident.”

“Im sorry.. We didn’t know. Our sincere condolences.”

“Thanks. Im kind of glad that visitors keep on coming even after we’ve buried her.”

“She’s done a lot of things for my family.” With that Sunny’s mother patted her head.

“Well, you must be here for something important I presume?”

“Ahh that, you see, this is kind of something urgent.” Sunny just looked at her mother and woman talked about the amulet and how its affecting her love life.

“Why don’t you go and eat something first, then lets talk about it more?” The woman suggested and Sunny’s mother agreed. Right after the woman showed them where they held the small feast for the visitors, they bid the woman goodbye.

“Mom, what if she doesn’t know how to help us? Cant I just take the amulet off?” Sunny was about to take it off her neck when her mother stopped her in not so gentle way.

“No, you cant do that. Or else we’re going to lose everything we had now.” Sunny sighed, it made sense now why her parents never allowed her to take it off and as a good daughter she is, she never did try and now she knows why.

“But what if its the only way mom?” Her mother didn’t answer and avoided to meet her gaze. “Arent you being too selfish mom? This is my life we’re talking about here. You cant possibly think that I’d be happy living alone while my other siblings all get married and live with all the luck that Im paying with my own love life?” Sunny was still quite calm even when she’s already mad, she still sounded so calm and no hint of anger in it. Her voice was still gentle despite the raging anger inside her. She was always bad at being mad, and she knows that.

Her mother reached out for her hand but she pulled away. “We’re going to look for other possible solution honey. I promise you that. Elder Liu isn’t the only one around here that has unique gifts. Lets just talk to her daughter first then we’ll weigh our options okay.”

“Okay.” Was what all Sunny muttered before pulling her phone out of her pocket and busied herself with it.