23rd Luck

Amulet

To save you guys from re-reading the previous chapters, I’ll recap it for you.

So South Korea Specialist’s future CEO Lee Sunny is in love with the very eccentric Neurosurgeon Choi Sooyoung, it was unrequited love till one day the tall doctor fell for her as well. It was a love against all odds as it turned out that the luck Sunny had been getting all her life is from an Amulet given by an Elderly who has unique gifts; the only catch is, she’ll never find true love. So when it did happen, they’ve found out that once her unrequited love has been returned, her life will be taken away from her along with the luck that the amulet gifted her and her family. And now, she is dying and there’s probably only one solution to their problem, someone else has to sacrifice themselves in order to save Sunny’s life.

 

 



 

“What do you mean one f our family has to offer their life in exchange of Sunny’s?” Mr. Lee asked anger still evident in his voice.

This is absurd. Their oldest daughter was intubated in one of the rooms of their hospital and yet they there were inside the conference room discussing about getting one of their family member to get killed to save the dying one.

“The only loophole in this magical mess you’re in is if one of you will wear the amulet and be the bearer of the curse, I mean it’s not a curse but considering how it’s affecting Sunny’s life now, it might as well be.” Amber explained as she showed the text from her grandmother’s book.

Sooyoung was sitting at the far end of the table, far away from her girlfriend’s father, who was just a second ago, trying to kill her. Her mind was obviously not in the room as she absentmindedly traced her fingers on her hurting neck. She was thinking about Sunny, how her life would be so meaningless if her girlfriend would die. The thought of being alone, of being without Sunny hurts. A tear rolled down her cheeks which she immediately wiped away when she felt her phone vibrated in her pocket. A message from her best friend flashed on the screen, ‘We’ll be right there.’ She knew Taeyeon would be flying the car on their way to the hospital, and there’s nothing she wanted now than to be surrounded by the people who loves her and who knows what Sunny meant to her.

“Are you sure that it’s the only way?” Mrs. Lee asked, clasping her hands together, as if praying was her last option.

Amber can see how broken hearted Sunny’s parents are, but it’s really the only option they have at the moment. “I want to believe that we still have more, Ma’am, but this is it.”

“This is not supposed to happen if only this girl did not return our daughter’s feelings for her.” Mr. Lee pointed at Sooyoung who in turn slammed her fingers on the table and replied, “If I had known how not to love your daughter back, I wouldn’t be in this mess either. You think I wanted this to happen? The only thing I did here was fall for Sunny, and I’d do it over and over again because she deserves to be loved and not just a bearer of luck for your whole family.” And then the doctor was out of the conference room.

“I guess you need to talk to you kids Mr. Lee, before it becomes too late.” Amber excused herself and left the couple alone to do some much needed thinking.

The boyish girl found Sooyoung by the vending machine, just staring at it. Amber was about to say something when the tall doctor punched right through the glasses of the machine, cracks grazed on her skin, spilling some blood.

“Oh my god Sooyoung!” Amber exclaimed as she rushed over to the doctor and helped her pull out her arm.

The nurses who were passing by saw the incident and helped them as soon as. Yuri who was one of those nurses and was closest to them as she was going to get some instant caffeine on her way to her rounds, jumped in. “Dr. Choi, what did you do? Here, let’s clean this up.”

A bandage and a second later, Taeyeon , who was supposed to be on a day off, and a sleep-laced Jessica, walked over to Sooyoung. Amber was already gone when they arrived and the doctor was alone outside Sunny’s room.

Jessica immediately hugged her cousin. “Aww Sooyoung. Are you…” Sooyoung cut her mid-sentence, “No Sooyeon, I’m not okay. Sunny is not okay. Nothing is okay.” By the time she finished her sentence, she was already a crying mess.

Taeyeon motioned the two cousins to sit, and she sat on the other side of her best friend, noticing the bandaged right hand. “Does that hurt?”

“Everything hurts Tae. Everything hurts.” Sooyoung kept on crying, sympathetic hands caressing her back, trying to soothe her down.

“Things will be okay Soo, have some faith.” Taeyeon knew the gravity of the situation but she doesn’t know what else to say to her friend who was breaking right in front of her eyes.

“We’re here for you.” Jessica assured her cousin as he hugged her again, this time, a little tighter than earlier.

“Here, I got you some slippers.” Taeyeon said as he dropped the pair of slippers on the floor. “Amber told me you needed one so we bought it along the way.”

Amidst crying, Sooyoung’s lips broke into a small smile; she only remembered just now that she has been barefooted all along. She couldn’t really feel anything right now.

An alarm broke off, and Sooyoung and Taeyeon knew quite perfectly what is it for; and when they saw nurses and doctors run past them and into her girlfriend’s room with a defibrillator in tow, they knew something is wrong.

“Sunny….” Was what Sooyoung managed to utter in a very low voice, almost a whisper, heart clenching in pain as she watched the door to her girlfriend’s room closed once again.