17th Luck

Amulet

“Guess what happened today?” Sooyoung asked as she placed a new bouquet of flowers in the vase next to her unconscious cousin’s bed. “I met someone who looked so much like Sooyeon.” The tall doctor sighed before pulling a chair to sit on. “I really thought she was her.”

“Remember Taeyeon? I told you about her girlfriend right? Yes, Jessica. She looked so much like your sister.” Sooyoung sighed again.

As the death of her Auntie and Uncle reached her,  the news of her older cousin went missing was along with it before she saw Soohyun’s body in a comatose lying in one of their rooms.

And really, she felt her world crumble.

They were her only living family and now its reduced to two, one missing and one dying. And there’s still possibility that she’ll be left alone in the world with no other family to celebrate special occasions with.

That saddened her.

And the fact that Sunny could die too was adding up to her stressors, frustrations and depressions.

“I should really go and check the precinct. Maybe they have a new lead.” Sooyoung said as she reached for her younger cousin’s hand. “Please wake up, so you can help me find Sooyeon.”

The tall doctor then remembered Jessica.

“She really looks like her, Soohyun.”

Earlier, as soon as she was roughly introduced to Taeyeon’s girlfriend, she immediately went to hug the girl.

“Sooyeon.. Sooyeon, youre alive.” She mumbled as she hugged the girl tightly.

The other girl was frozen against her, unsure of what she’s supposed to do.

“Soo, what the hell are you doing? Why are you hugging my girlfriend?” Taeyeon pried her off the confused girl. “Yah, what are you thinking?”

“Sooyeon…. She..” Sooyoung fell silent and looked at the girl next to her bestfriend. “Don’t you know me?”

“Soo, this is the first time she’s seen you. How can she know you all of a sudden?” The tall doctor just stared at the girl, expecting something or anything that will show she knows her but she got nothing; empty eyes stared back at her.

“Sorry, I guess I mistook her for my cousin.” Sooyoung said before silence engulfed them.

Then Taeyeon bid her goodbye and went to their scheduled meeting with their psychologist.

“Is there any possibility that Sooyeon is still alive and Jessica is Sooyeon?” Sooyoung suggested. “Nah, she should’ve remembered me then. But what if she got amnesia or something?” The tall doctor shook her head furiously. “I should really stop watching dramas. Its rubbing off on me.”

She checked her watched after she yawned. “I should really go home and rest. This hospital is really the life out of me.”

But before she can stand, she fished her phone and saw that she has 15 missed calls.

Will you be angry if I take a picture of you?” Sooyoung asked and even though she knew that the younger girl never really liked to get her picture taken, Sooyoung still did. With a click, she looked at their photo together.

“The last time we had a picture together was five years ago. Just in case..” Sooyoung trailed off. She doesn’t want to say it out loud, because saying that she took their photo together before something bad happen such as Soohyun dying is like accepting the fact that the younger girl will die too.

But even though there’s only a little chance for comatose patients to wake up, the muscle movement she got earlier was keeping her hope alive.

Soohyun will wake up and Soohyun will live long.

With one last check on the machines connected to her cousin, she went out of the room and called back the person who she missed the call from.

“Ohh hey Tae, whats up? How did the session go? IS she crazy too or what?” Sooyoung laughed but it died down as she heard her bestfriend’s serious tone.

“Come to my office asap.” She wanted to ask why but the Taeyeon ended the call already and led her to walk towards the other direction.

“You summoned me?” She asked as she opened the door to her bestfriend’s office. Jessica was sleeping by the couch.  “What happened to her?”

“She fell asleep crying.  Why the hell are you not answering my calls?” Taeyeon swatted her head.

“Yah..” She said rubbing her sore head. “My phone was on silent, okay? Jesus. Whats with you?”

“Well, if you answered one of my calls, you’ll know that your cousin had been asking for you. Were where you anyway?” Taeyeon knelt down to brush Jessica’s hair off her sleeping face and Sooyoung cant help but to stare; every inch of her being is telling her that the woman sleeping on the couch was indeed her cousin.

“I bought flowers for my cousin. Wait, what did you say? Did Soohyun woke up while I was gone?”

“No. But Sooyeon did..” Taeyeon stood up and took a side step to her left “and now, she fell asleep waiting for you.”