24th Luck

Amulet

Sooyoung, Taeyeon and Jessica watched with shaky breaths as doctors and nurses went in and out of Sunny’s room.

“I have to be in there.” The tall doctor said as she tried to wrestle her way towards the door. Taeyeon, knowing exactly what was going on behind the closed door, willed her power to retrain her with the help of Jessica. “Please Tae, I need to go to her.”

“I know. I know Soo, but we will not be able to help them there at all.” The shorter doctor replied, still restraining her best friend. “They’re doing everything they can, Sooyoung.”

“Not good enough.” Sooyoung screamed. Every time the door opens she can hear the deafening sound of the pulse oximeter, indicating that her girlfriend’s heart rate just went down to zero, not a good sign. Sunny could be dying there; and Sooyoung can’t help but feel so useless standing there, waiting for the doctors to do whatever the hell they are doing, momentarily forgetting that she’s one as well.

Few minutes more and Sunny’s mother and father arrived and went directly inside the room, not even sparing a glance over the trio.

“Damn it.” Sooyoung cursed as she turned away from her friends. “.” Tears were already streaming down her cheeks.

The door opened and Sunny’s mother walked over to them. “She would want you to be in there.” Her hands were shaking as she held it out for Sooyoung to take. “She would want you there.”

The tall doctor wiped her tears away before taking Mrs. Lee’s hand. Fear was gnawing at her insides as she took step closer to the door of Sunny’s room.

“We’ll be here, waiting.” Jessica called out, wanting to make sure that her cousin knows that they will not be going anywhere and they will be there waiting for her for whatever she would need.

Sooyoung went in the room with hesitant steps and immediately felt overwhelmed; she could hear the monitor louder than ever and it’s breaking her heart even more. “Sunny.” She whispered under her breath, tears threatening to fall again at the sight of her girlfriend with all the nurses and doctors round around her bed trying to save her life.

She looked at the monitor and saw the fine lines on the screen and she closed her eyes, she cannot look at it anymore.

“Are you just really going to stand here and look at her, and wait whatever happens to her?” Sooyoung angrily asked at the hospital’s sole owners, Mr. and Mrs. Lee whom seemed to be both affected seeing their daughter slowly slipping away yet still not caring enough to do something about it. “What kind of parents are you?”

“If you don’t stop I’ll have security drag you out of the building. You should be grateful I even let you in here.” Mr. Lee barked bark, equally angry.

Sooyoung snorted. “You’d do that huh? Yet you can even do a little sacrifice your daughter needs to survive. You’re being selfish and it’s stupid. Is this all Sunny’s going to get for everything she had givn up for you for years?”

“You shut your mouth or I will…” Mr. Lee stopped midway as Mrs. Lee interjected. “Enough. This is not helping our daughter. Fighting is not helping Soonkyu at all.”

The monitor kept ringing and Sooyoung felt like it has been going on and on forever, it’s hurting her ears. “Damn it. Fine, if you’re not willing to do anything for your daughter, I will.” And before everyone can react, Sooyoung walked over to Sunny, pushing the doctor who was giving her a CPR aside.

“What are you doing?”

“Doctor Choi…”

Everything blurred out, all the noises faded in the background. She can only see Sunny and she can only hear the machine ringing in her ears slowing fading as she held her girlfriend’s hand. At that very moment, she can only think of Sunny, how their lives would’ve been without the amulet and how their lives would be if Sunny would live. She loves her so much she’s willing to sacrifice herself, though she’s not even sure if sacrificing herself would change anything. But there she was, leaning down to kiss Sunny’s lips before pulling the amulet off her girlfriend.

 “I love you Sunny. So please wake up.” Sooyoung whispered to Sunny’s ears before donning the amulet over head, securing it around her head. She smiled and muttered under her breath, “Ohh the thing’s I’d do for love.”

She could hear Mr. and Mrs. Lee gasped as she turned around and let the doctors and nurse do whatever they were doing before she interrupted them. “Let me know when she wakes up.” She told them before she went out of the room.

Jessica and Taeyeon were confused when Sooyoung came into view with a smile pasted on her face. “Sooyoung? Are you okay?” they both asked, cautiously, as they don’t know what happened inside Sunny’s room for the tall doctor to come out will all smiles on her face. “Is Sunny okay?”

“She will be.” Sooyoung smiled wider.

Her head suddenly felt lighter and her legs wobbled as she took steps closer to her best friend and cousin. Luckily, Taeyeon and Jessica were already by her side before she even fainted.

Sooyoung can only hear their voices frantically calling her out but her eyes were too heavy, she can’t open them anymore.