Forgetting

Fall For You
I sat quietly in the passenger seat of the car and tried my hardest to stop crying, but I couldn’t, so I settled for crying quietly, and I couldn’t even do that. I would see him staring at me from the corner of my eye.

The whole ride home was silent, and I was thankful for that. He stopped the car I the drive way, and relaxed in his seat. I guess he was waiting for something from me. “You coming inside?” He asked me.

“I think I’m going to take a walk; clear my head.” I sighed, wiping my eyes dry.

“Okay, let’s go.” He undid his seat belt.

“No, you don’t have come with me. I’ll be fine on my own, I don’t need someone on my suicide watch…Jake isn’t worth that, he’ll never be worth it.” I whispered that last part, and walked outside.

He shook his head and smiled at me that comforted me a little. “Your mother put me in charge of you, so wherever you go, I will follow.”

I shrugged, “I don’t have anymore strength to argue, so…hurry up if you want to come. I don’t have time to wait for you.” I said a little more bitterly than it was supposed to sound like after what he did do for me.

“I think I can keep up,” he said smugly, and was by my side in a second, keeping in step with me.

Most of the walk was quiet and calm. It was 10 o’clock and I stopped walking at the local centre where a fountain was still spewing out water. “I used to come here when younger.” He raised an eyebrow at that comment. “Well, obviously when I moved here. But I used to come here when I was younger and sit at this very bench and watch the water come out of the swan’s mouth.” It was a pointless story; I had no idea why I was saying it. “I haven’t been here since four years ago. Tonight seemed like a good night.”

I looked up at him standing beside me and he was looking down at me. “Are you thinking about Jake?”

I smiled, “Shouldn’t you know that? You are the mind-reader, aren’t you? Or have you not turned the gift back on, yet?”

“I told you, I’m not heartless. I assumed you’d want your privacy with this matter.”

“Well, it’d be easier for you to know what I was thinking, wouldn’t it? I mean you are wondering what I am thinking.” I told him.

“Now who’s the mind-reader?” He teased me, nudging me with his right shoulder. “You’re not the only one who’s ever had their heart broken.” He said, sitting beside me.

I shook my head. “You think that’s why I’m so upset? Because I got my heart broken? Sure, that’s part of it, but my heart broke way before actually seeing him with that girl. I was so stupid. I stayed with him even though I knew, I accepted all his lies, and I told myself that it was my fault. I didn’t sleep with him so he went to find someone who would.” I sighed. “I felt a rush of a million heartbreaks because of all the lies that I swept under the rug. I’m crying because of how stupid I’ve been, how stupid I’ve acted. I watched myself cry for two years, and all I ever needed to do was to break up with him, but I couldn’t. I thought I owed him something. He’s the reason why I became popular. He’s the reason why I am who I am, so I stayed because I thought by staying I was paying him back.” I laughed at my stupidity.

“He’s not the reason why you are who you are, Kim. You’re the reason. He’s not responsible for making you beautiful, funny, charismatic and smart; you are.”

I ignored him, “I was the person they’d all go to do their homework, the person they’d cheat off of. The person they never even knew her name to. I was a nameless face in that school. And then he asked me out. Out of all the cheerleaders in the school, he wanted me. I thought that was the greatest thing that’s ever happened to me in my life, like an answered prayer. Within a week, everyone knew me, everyone wanted to be me. I was Jake Cuenca’s girlfriend. Who knew that in the next month I would actual be pleading to get rid of that title. I endured two years, twenty seven month and six days of self-hatred, self-torment and self-loathing in my own room, behind closed doors. I was crying because I was finally free from that…that…that bastard.” I chuckled to myself. “They were tears of sadness and of joy.”

He stayed quiet, but I felt his hand go over mine. “My mom sent me here to get rid of me.” He said to me, but he wasn’t looking at me. “My own mother sent me away because she didn’t want me anymore.”

I stood up and started walking around the fountain. “I’m sure your mother wants to see you again. Maybe not now, but she will. Maybe it’s because all the secrets you keep.” I smiled at him.

“It’s because of the secrets that got me here in the first place.”

“You know, Gerald, secrets always has a way of coming out. You can’t keep a secret forever.” I told him. “Look, can you please tell me? I mean, you don’t even like me, who cares if I abandon you.” I tried to keep the situation light, but apparently it wasn’t working.

“The reason why I can’t tell you is because I do like you.”

I stepped back, and he was right in front of me now. Just a moment he was sitting on that bench, and now he was right in front of me, putting his hand on his cheek. “Gerald…”

And then he started to laugh. “I’m sorry; I couldn’t even keep that one going.” He dropped his hand and moved back laughing.

I cleared my throat. “You’re an , do you know that?” I said, pushing him further away.

“I’m sorry, I know that you’re upset and you just got out of a relationship.” He kept on laughing. “Did you honestly believe me?”

“No, you’re just an . You don’t do that to girls! That’s so mean.” I said to him all angry.

“Aw, is KC upset?” He said in a mocking tone.

I couldn’t help but smile. I ran to him and jumped on his back. “You’re a jerk!” He started running and my grip on him was loose so I almost fell off. “Gerald!!!!”

He kept on running like I weighed nothing, and I could feel the breeze on my face. He let me down and we were on sand. “Whoa, how did we get here?”

“Didn’t I tell you we live in a place full of beaches? The nearest one to your house is like three miles, very convenient for wanting to get wet.”

“Right, but who said anything about getting wet?” I said putting my hair up in a bun.

“Oh, why’d you do that?” He groaned.

I stared at him curious. “Do what? What are we doing here?”

“Look, calm down. I’m trying to take your mind off of your problem or…I guess your happiness,” he chuckled. “But trust me, can you do that?”

“I’m fine. I’m already okay…you were right; talking about things takes the load off of me. I’m okay. Thank-you.” I smiled at him. I realized I was still wearing his jacket. I took it off and then immediately missed the warmth it gave me…surprisingly. “Thanks for the jacket, too. I have to admit, you have good taste in fashion: Abercrombie and Fitch, very good taste.” I smiled at him.

He took it, but then dropped it on the sand. “And apparently you don’t.” He laughed at me.

“Hey!” I ran after him into the water. “Oh my gosh, it is so cold!” I yelled. The next thing I knew I was thrown into the water by him. “Gerald!”

I got my soaked body out of the water and jumped on him and I was happy when he fell into the water. We were laughing and spraying each other with water.

Five minutes later we were back on land, and I realized why he wanted to keep my hair down and threw his jacket on the sand. He planned on throwing me in the water and getting me wet. “So very good plan Mr. Anderson, I am soaked because of you.”

“Hey, I didn’t plan on getting you wet; I didn’t want to see you soaked. So stop thinking that.” He told me laughing and picking up his jacket, wrapping it around my shoulders.

“You your gift,” he laughed at me. “So what else am I thinking?”

“You’re thinking…you want me to stop looking in on your thoughts.” He laughed again.

I smiled, “But something tells me you’re not going to.”

“You may be right about that. But I promise, I’ll give you some time to yourself.” He said.

“That’s all you can do for me?”

“Hey, I gave you my jacket. You must be freezing, so I’m keeping you warm. I think that and some privacy is pretty good.”

“Some privacy,” I repeated.

He smiled, “Yes, some privacy.”

We laughed. “Aren’t you cold though? But too bad, I’m not giving your jacket back even if you are.” I told him.

“I don’t feel a thing. You can keep the jacket.”

We walked home side by side, and for once we actually had a civilized conversation and didn’t make fun of each other. Mostly we were reminiscing the times I spent at his house when we were younger. Apparently, I had freckles on my nose that magically disappeared. I was learning a lot about my younger self when he was talking, like also my eyes were dark brown and now they’re sort of hazel-ish. He walked me upstairs to my room, even though I told him it was unnecessary, but he insisted.

“This is me,” I whispered, laughing in front of my door. “So thank-you for tonight…defending me, talking to me, making me laugh, making me forget. You helped me tonight.”

“Does this mean you owe me one?” He asked, leaning against the wall.

“I guess it does.” I smiled, staring at him. “Oh,” I took off his jacket and felt the cold on my skin. “Thanks for the jacket.” I handed it to him.

He shook his head. “Keep it. Just in case you get cold again.”

It was a crazy remark since I had plenty of sweaters in my room, but an offer I wasn’t going to refuse. “Good night, Gerald.” I opened my door.

“Good night, Kim,” He said, moving away from the wall and closer to me. For a moment I thought he was going to kiss me, his lips were just inches – no, not inches, millimetres – away from mine, and his hand was going to the side of my face. I closed my eyes because his breath was on my lips, his minty breath, and then t went away. The cool sensations, his body heat. I opened my eyes in shock, and he was there standing further away from me than he was just a second ago. I looked behind me and he opened my door wider for me, I guess. “I’ll keep your dreams private tonight, Kim.” He smiled at me.

That night as I was lying in bed, all I could think about was Gerald. He probably knew, I mean, would he really not go inside my head and see my thoughts? If I had that gift, I would go into everyone’s thoughts without their permission and I wouldn’t care. Anyways, as I was lying in bed, all I could think about was Gerald; his eyes, his lips, even his breath. So was I upset about what happened with Jake? After what just happened with Gerald, I couldn’t even remember who Jake was. Jake who? I smiled, and fell asleep.

HEY GUYS, SO ITS OFFICIALLY SUMMER AND I AM OFFICIALLY A SENIOR [SO SAD, SO SAD. I NEED SOME GERALD TO MAKE ME FORGET ABOUT THAT, LMAO]. SO I HOPE EVERYONE'S LIKING IT SO FAR. BUT I NEED YOUR HELP. I NEED TO KNOW WHAT KIND OF MYTHICAL CREATURE YOU WANT GERALD TO BECOME. I ORIGINALLY THOUGHT VAMPIRE OR WEREWOLF, BUT NOW I FEEL LIKE I'M COPYING TWILIGHT. I WAS THINKING OF FAERIE, BUT THAT SEEMS TOO FEMININE, BUT THEN AGAIN, GERALD COULD BE A HOT FAERIE WHO CHANGES PEOPLE'S OPINION ON THEM. ANYWAYS, PLEASE PUT IN A SUGGESTION. ALSO, I'M KIND OF THINKING OF DOING LIKE A PLAY THAT KIM'S CHARACTER ACTS OUT, AND I WANT A ROMANTIC ONE. I THOUGHT OF DOING ROMEO AND JULIET, BUT THEN I DON'T WANT TO DO A CLASSICAL PLAY. MAYBE JUST MAKING UP A SCRIPT, BUT I WANT TO INCLUDE LIKE ALL ROMANTIC, CHEESY LINES WHERE GERALD HELPS KIM OUT, AND I CAN'T THINK OF ANY PLAY THATS ALREADY BEEN DONE, SO PLEASE HELP ME OUT. ANYWAYS, I'LL UPDATE SOON, AND THE SOONER I GET REPLIES, THE SOONER THE SECRET'S OUT AND THE SOONER THEY'LL GET TOGETHER, SO THESE COMMENTS ARE MANDATORY. AND I'M SORRY CHAR, BUT DRAGON IS BIG NO-NO FOR ME. I'M NOT TURNING OUR PRECIOUS GERALD INTO A DRAGON! BUT IT WAS HILARIOUS. ANYWAYS, THANKS FOR THE SUPPORT AND HAVE A GREAT NIGHT GUYS! BYE, MWAH!