Don't Know A Thing

Fall For You
I walked into the living room and took a seat on the couch. “Kimberly Sue Yap Chiu, where on earth were you last night?!”

I sighed, and stared my dad, “We’re doing the full name thing now? I’m alive aren’t I?”

“Kim, what is the matter with you? You lied to us. I called Erich and she didn’t even know where you were once I got the truth out of her. You lied to all of us, we were all concerned.”

“Look, I’m sorry, but…”

“Were you with Gerald?” Dad cut in.

I stared at him with complete shock, but I didn’t want to lie to him, or anyone.

“Oh, Kim. You’re acting immature. Lying to everyone, not coming home, making your friend cover for you.” Mom said condescendingly.

“Okay, fine. I’m acting like a child. Maybe that’s because you’re all treating me like a child!”

Mom sighed, “Kim…”

“You’re both scheduling my whole life for me and sometimes I feel like I need to act like an eighteen year old girl who’s old enough to make her own decisions!” I got up and began pacing the room.

“The last time you made your own decision, you almost got killed.” Dad reminded me.

I chuckled, “You know what, I’m not having this conversation with anyone, especially you.”

“What is that supposed to mean?” I started to walk away. “Don’t you dare turn your back on your family, Kim!’

“‘What is that supposed to mean’?” I walked up to him. “Were you not the one that gave Gerald the anti-dote?” Everyone looked over at my father now. “You don’t think I knew? I knew from the very beginning. But he was too respectful to say anything. My goodness, the whole time we were apart, you guys didn’t even try to understand what I was going through. You just tried your best to make me move on and forget about what happened. But you lost the key ingredient, my desire to forget.”

“Kim…” Erich started.

I shook my head, “Listen you don’t get it. You don’t know what it was like in that school!” She looked at Erich. “Half the school hates me; the other half thinks I’m the one who killed Jake.” I paused and stared at all of them. “Even the teachers look at me like I’m some sort of villain. But I stuck it out. I stayed because there wasn’t anything I could do about it. Coming home wasn’t any easier. Especially the two of you. You think keeping me home would make everything back to normal. I see the way you look at me. You look at me like them. The ones who don’t know, the ones who don’t understand. You guys are no different,” I said to my sister and supposed best friend. “And then the man that I love comes back and tells me he loves me and he’s sorry for everything. And finally, I have this sigh of relief, like everything that I went through, it’s okay. You want me to go back to normal, then just let me love him back. You don’t have to approve or like the idea; just trust your daughter to do the right thing.” I spun around but paused right before getting to the stairs and stared at my dad. “I forgave you for what you did. I just hope that somehow, you’ll be able to forgive me too.”

Erich met her in my room after a few minutes. “I’m sorry. Your mom was freaking out and she wanted to speak to my mom. I just thought it was easier if I just told the truth.”

I nodded, “I’m not mad at you, ‘Rich. I probably would’ve the same thing. I get it. You’re still my best friend.”

She sat on my bed, “So you guys are really back together.”

The smile on my face probably said it all. “Last night, it just hit us that we couldn’t be anything less than what we were. Or someone made us realize that.” I shrugged, “Last night, being in his arms again…it was like a breath of fresh air, like I started breathing again. I know I’m over exaggerating it, but” I sighed. “Erich, I love him so much that it hurts. I don’t want to be anyone else. When he looks at me, everything shakes, everything gets better. When he kisses me, I just melt. My heart beats so fast whenever he’s around that I feel like I’m going to explode. I don’t want to feel this way about anyone else.”

Erich smiled, “Well, if you don’t want to…” she laughed.

“When he told me he still loved me…my eyes just filled with tears because I’ve wanted to hear those words for so long. I know I’m young, and I have no experience in this department, but if this isn’t love, than I don’t think it exists. You don’t feel this about just anyone. I truly believe that this can work out.”

“I’m guessing you’re taking him to prom.”

I didn’t even think about prom. “Oh god, prom!” I chuckled, “I totally forgot about that. Do you think he’d want to go?”

Erich shrugged, “You’d guys totally look like a movie star couple already, prom is definitely the two of you.”

That night, Gerald and I went out for a walk. Mom and Dad actually allowed me, saying that how they were treating me was a bit unfair, but just as long as I asked for permission, and I stayed close to home and was home at a decent hour. “So how’d your parents take it?”

I laughed, “Not exactly ecstatic to have you back, but they get it. They’re giving it a chance.” I rested my chin on his shoulder.

He kissed my forehead and squeezed out intertwined fingers, “So how’s school?”

“Still being ignored, and receiving cut eyes from a lot of people. But I’m getting by.”

He paused and looked at me, brushing my hair back with his fingers, “I wish I could take it all away.”

“Well, there is a way.” He nodded, “What would you say if you came to my prom with me?”

He squinted his eyes. “Prom? At your school?”

I smiled, “Yeah, you know end of high school, rite of passage where kids dress up and dance with spiked punch?”

He made a fake laugh and we took a seat on a bench, “I know what prom is, I am just a year older. I went to prom last year. Not the best memory.”

“I can’t believe you’re rejecting me,” I said looking away. “To prom.”

“Okay, I’ll go.” He used his index fingers to push my attention back to him.

I shook my head, “I don’t want you to go just because I forced you. It’s okay, you don’t have to, it was Erich’s idea anyways. I wasn’t going to go anyways, I thought you’d want to go.”

“If you want to get dressed up and go dancing, I’ll go with you because I know I’ll have the prettiest date there. And seeing you smile would be a bonus.” He began my neck, a move that made my knees go weak.

“Gerald Anderson, will you be my date at the prom?”

He leaned in and kissed me. “I wouldn’t have it any other way.”