Promises

Fall For You
I brought him up to my dorm room. “This is it. This has been my home for the past two year.” I took a seat on my bed and leaned back on my hands. “And this has been my empty bed for the past two years, too.” I winked.

He laughed, and took a seat beside me. “I slept in an empty bed too, you know.” He kissed me, and sighed blissfully. “You’ve become even more beautiful than I last saw you.”

“Well, you know what they say: time ages well.” I smiled. “So what are you doing here? And why didn’t you call me?”

“It wouldn’t have been a surprise then,” he leaned back and supported himself on his elbow. “And I figured you missed me just as much as I missed you; and two years was far more time away from you than I could handle.”

“It’s good to know you haven’t changed much. You’re still cheesy, corny…” he rolled his eyes and moved his hand in a rhythmic wave, like he’s heard it time and time again. “And romantic. Let’s go on the balcony.” I stood up and held out my hands. “I mean, that’s why you’re here, right? To look at the stars?”

It didn’t take long for him to take me up for me offer. “Come here,” he came up behind me and pulled me against him, pushing me towards the sliding door. He took a seat first, and pulled me down next to him, wrapping his arms around me. “So, how about telling me how much you’ve missed me.”

“And you’re still full of yourself,” I chuckled. “Who would’ve thought we’d be going on our third year anniversary after the way we started out.”

“To think you almost drove me to your neighbour’s house – what were their names again? The ‘Achoos’?” We laughed.

I closed my eyes, and felt his heart beating. “Thank God you didn’t listen to me. I would’ve missed out on so many things. Like looking at you, seeing you smile…dancing with you, holding you, touching you…kissing you. Two years of being deprived of all that. I don’t think I could take it again.”

His grip around me tightened. “Baby, do you hear yourself right now? We spent almost an entire by each other’s side. We argued, we flirted, we fell in love, we fought – for each other’s lives – and we survived, stronger than ever. Sweetheart, there’s no one out there for me. There’s no one better. And if that’s what you’re scared whenever we’re apart, you don’t have to be.”

I rolled over to lie on my stomach and looked at him. “That’s part of it.” I sighed. “Gerald, everyone thinks I’m strong.” I avoided eye contact then, I didn’t want him to see me cry. “I’m not. I lived apart from you once before and I almost died. I did, practically. I lost a part of myself, a big and important part of myself. And that was when I thought we were never going to see each other again.” I took a deep breath before continuing. “But we’re together now. We’re stronger than ever,” a mirthless laugh escaped my lips.

“So what’s the matter?”

“After prom, I went home and cried. I cried for hours, and I didn’t change out of my dress because it smelled like you. You know, you spent the entire night holding me, and my dress smelled like you, and I could feel your imprint on it, and I wanted to hold onto that forever. I never wanted to let that go. And the morning came up and I changed, and I knew you were gone.” An unexpected sob came out. “So I held onto that feeling, and hold onto all those calls, and I began to feel better again. And then everything just stopped. It took a break. We didn’t call each other as often, didn’t write or e-mail, and you know what I noticed? I couldn’t smell you anymore. And I died over again.

“Gerald, I longed to hear your voice. Those were the things that I needed. I just didn’t want to tell you that. You were busy, and I was busy. And then it occurred to me that we lived different lives.” I stopped. “I know I’m not making any sense. I guess what I’m trying to say is that, missing you is harder than being apart. And I lived through it for two years, and I don’t want to break down again.”

He didn’t say anything to me after that. He just looked at me, and pulled me back to the way I was lying before and held me. “I guess I should bring you my cologne.” He joked.

I laughed. “I just needed you.”

We stayed that way for awhile, quiet and in complete solace. The soft movement of his body put me to rest for just a little bit. Sleeping in his arms did the trick. Unlike all those other nights, I didn’t end up in tears.

I wasn’t sure how long I was asleep for, but I awoke feeling completely in bliss. He adjusted his body so he was sitting up more, and I had a stronger support on my back. He looked down and kissed the top of my head. “I fly three thousand miles, and you’re the one who needed a nap?”

A smile appeared on my lips, but soon disappeared. “So when are you flying back?”

He sighed almost angrily. “Why do you do that? Focus on the bad?”

“Because I need to prepare myself.”

“Well, do you promise to stay strong? Because I can’t leave knowing you’re hurting.” He said.

I shrugged, “I’m going to have to be. Just promise we’ll be in touch more, and it won’t be two years until we see each other again.”

“How does everyday sound?”

“I guess daily phone calls will have to do,” I sighed teasingly.

He kissed the back of my ear lobe and moved onto the next. “And seeing each other everyday? Does that sound tired?”

I turned around and looked at him, “What are you talking about?”

“I’m not going back. I’m done school. I spoke to my councellors, and they were able to pull some strings.” He smiled. “I was able to finish 4 years in 2, without any breaks and the even hooked me up with a couple of job interviews here in the city. So I won’t be moving back.” He explained.

Proudness was being emitted from my body. “Are you serious?”

“Yup. I even got my own apartment, and I start on my Monday. That’s why I couldn’t call you everyday. I was slaving myself for 730 days just to see you goodbye. I told you, Baby, I’d do anything for you.”

I threw myself into his arms. “I love you so much!”

“Enough to do one more thing for me?” He asked.

“Anything.” I promised with a kiss.

“Promise me forever?” He held out a 6-karat diamond ring.