Comforting

Fall For You
Kim got home and like she expected, her parents were waiting for her. Ever since the accident and since she had such a tight routine, they didn’t like the unexpected and kept her on a short leash. “Kim! We were so worried, are you okay?” They hugged her tightly, the back of her hair.

She smiled, “Yeah. Sorry I worried you. It was an accident. I lost track of time.” She wasn’t about to say she went to see Gerald, or that she was trapped in a room with him with no service for three hours and almost kissed him.

“Who were you with?” They asked.

A question she’s been preparing for but dreading. What was she supposed to say, the guy who broke her heart? The guy who led to what happened in the first place? The one who abandoned her? Her ex-boyfriend? “An old friend,” she smiled. “I’m actually quite tired. I think I’m just going to go to bed.” Kim hugged and kissed her parents before making her way to her room.

She brushed her teeth, washed her face and changed into her pyjamas. She looked out her window and saw the pool house. It was weird. Just months ago, whenever she did this, she’d be able to see him, and now, nothing. Nothing at all.

It didn’t hurt as much anymore. If he did end up walking away again, she’d have this conversation to remember him by. Yes, it’d still be painful to know they may never fully get over what happened, but it was a nice conversation. It was exactly the goodbye she always desired, it was a conversation that was better. Mostly because it didn’t end up in goodbye.

There was a knock on her door, and she saw her brother. “What are you doing still up?”

“Ate, are you okay?” He asked. “I was scared when you didn’t come home.”

She smiled and motioned for him to join her on her bed. “What happened to my little annoying brother who hates my guts? I thought you wouldn’t want me to come home,” she said messing his hair.

“I’d never want that. You went to see him, didn’t you?” He said. “Gerald’s the old friend?”

Kim nodded. “We actually got locked in a room together by accident. We found out there were a lot of unsaid words that needed to be said.”

“I wanted to give this to you for a while, I just couldn’t.” He said reaching into the pocket of his bathrobe. “Before you came home from the hospital, Mom told us to clean your room. I kept it so you wouldn’t be as sad.”

It was in an envelope. I took it from him and looked inside. My heart stopped. It was the bracelet he gave me. “I didn’t even realize it was missing. Thank you. I’m glad you’re the one who found it,” she smiled and hugged her brother.

“Well you are my sister,” he said kissing her cheek. “Good night Ate.”

“Night.” How could she have forgotten about this? She put on her night stand and stared at it until her eyes grew heavy and fell asleep.

The next day she went to school like she always did. The whispering died down a notch in the last couple of days. Erich saw her first, but didn’t ask anything until lunch when it was just the two of them. “Did you see him?”

She laughed at her friend, “How long have you been dying to ask me that?”

“I picked up the phone and hung up like twenty times before I gave up. Well, did you?” Erich said.

“Yeah, a saw him. Probably a little too much of him, but I saw him.” She answered.

“And…”

Kim sighed, “We got locked in a storage room and were forced to speak. But it was fine. There was a lot being said, most good, and it helped…a lot.”

“I can see that. I haven’t seen your bracelet since…”

She twisted it around her waist. “JP had it. He just gave it back last night. I’m seeing him again tonight. He asked me to, so I agreed.”

Erich smiled. “You know…this could be the start…”

“Stop it.” She said, throwing a carrot at her friend. The laughed. Kim shrugged continuing eating her lunch.

She was wearing a sweater dress and knee-high boots, her hair in loose waves when she left the house to see him again. She went there early hoping to see him before the set and talking to him some more.

Instead of sitting at the bar like the night before, she took a table in the middle of the room with a good view of the stage. She looked around seeing them set up for the night when she felt a hand brush against her back.

She smiled when she saw him, “Hey.”

“Hi, can I sit?” He asked, pointing the empty chair.

Kim nodded, “I hope so. Are you nervous? You did pretty good last night.”

“I did? I played half a set and walked off. I could’ve done better; I was expected to do better. At least that’s what the boss says,” he smiled.

“Sorry. I’m sure he was pretty angry.”

Gerald shook his head. “Get yelled at by the boss and being trapped with you, it was a pretty good deal.” Kim smiled. His eyes found the bracelet. “You’re wearing it?”

“Yeah. My brother found it in my room and took it before I got home. He gave it back,” she chuckled.

“Yeah, JP’s a good kid.” He said. The lights were dimming and we looked around. “I’m going up there pretty soon.”

“Are you sure you wrote this song?” She joked.

He laughed, “Yeah. I wrote it.”

A couple of minutes went by with just some small talk, and then he was called up on stage. She smiled and cheered with the crowd. He became a favourite of theirs.

He had his guitar on his lap. “This song was actually written awhile ago. It took me a long time, but one night, I had this jostle of energy and inspiration that I was able to finish in one sitting. I fell in love.” He looked over at Kim. “So, enjoy it.” He winked at Kim before he began playing.

“Belief, makes things real.
Makes things feel, feel alright.
Belief, makes things true.
Things like you, you and I.

Tonight, you arrested my mind.
When you came to my defense.
With a knife in the shape of your mouth,
in the form of your body, with the wrath of a god.
Oh, you stood by me, Belief

Builds from scratch.
Doesn't have to relax, it doesn't need space.
Long live the queen and I'll be the king.
In the collar of grace.

Oh, tonight, you arrested my mind.
When you came to my defense.
With a knife in the shape of your mouth,
in the form of your body, with the wrath of a god.
Oh, you stood by me, belief.

I'm gonna yell it from the rooftops.
I'll wear a sign on my chest.
That's the least I can do, it's the least I can do.

Tonight, you arrested my mind.
When you came to my defense.
With a knife, in the shape of your mouth,
in the form of your body, with the wrath of a god.
Oh, you stood by me.
And I'll stand by my belief.

I will stand by mine... x2

belief...

like you stood by me, I will l stand by mine, stand by my belief...”

She remembered this song well. It was the song after the rain storm. It was the night she fell in love too.

After the song, they went outside where the weather was getting towards the spring time average and the stars were now above them. Gerald bought her some ice cream and they walked. “Is this weird?” She said after a moment of silence. “I mean, it has to be, right? A lot has happened, and we’re trying to make small talk, but it’s not exactly working out.”

They laughed. “A little weird.” They stopped at the fountain which held some important moments for the two of them.

“I haven’t been here in months.” She admitted, getting on the edge of the fountain and walking along the path.

Gerald followed her. “I’ve been here every night since I came back. A lot has happened, it doesn’t seem right not to think about it. I remember the first time we came here. Despite the swollen eyes, you were still the most beautiful one I’d ever seen.”

“I wanted to kiss you that night. I was thinking about it. I mean I just broke up with my boyfriend, you were single, flirting with me. I wanted to kiss you.” She admitted.

He smiled, “Trust me, temptation wasn’t as bad as mine. I lost way too much sleep over you, pretty girl.”

“When are you leaving?” Kim asked. “I don’t think you’re staying forever, so…”

“In a week or two.”

Kim nodded. “Will you come see me? Seeing you helps a bit. I think that’s all I needed really. Just to see you, to talk to you.”

“Of course, but I think you should get home. Your parents aren’t exactly going to be happy if you go home late again.” He said, reaching out to her.

She nodded, and jumped down. He caught her and for a moment, their eyes locked together. She wrapped her arms around his neck tightly, hugging him.

He held her, and closed his eyes. This is what he’s been wanting to do, just to hold her, have her in his arms.

She was the one who pushed apart from him, and brushed her hair behind her ears. “I should get going.”

He nodded. “Be careful?”

Kim nodded, “I promise,” she smiled. “See you tomorrow?”

“I’d like that.” He watched Kim turn around. “Kim!” She spun around and looked at him with wonder in his eyes. “If I hadn’t said it yet, you look really beautiful.”

“I kind of like the way you look too,” she teased. “Goodbye.”

“See you later,” he said as she turned around, “love.”