Caught

Fall For You
Kim woke up the next morning, and she got ready for the new school year. She remembered when she was younger; this used to be her favourite time of the year, it still was. She loved stepping on the concrete of the school for the first time; so much expectations and predictions for the upcoming year. It was her inner nerd coming through. She laughed at herself, staring at her reflection.

The week before, she went shopping just or the first week of school. It was a rule to always start the new year with a new wardrobe, and she wasn’t going to abandon that on her last year.

She walked down the stairs and her mom was in the kitchen handling a bowl. “Ma, please tell me you’re not actually trying to make me breakfast.” She repeated the conversation that occurred the night before, about her mother not being able to cook.

Her mother rolled her eyes. “It’s cereal, not that difficult. And good morning to you, too.”

Kim smiled, “Good morning.” She took a yogurt from the fridge. “Ma, I can’t find my keys. Did you take them?”

“Actually, I gave them to Gerald. He would need a car to go to school, and I thought you wouldn’t mind.”

“Maybe if you asked me, you’d realize that I would mind. Ma! How am I supposed to go to school now? I am not walking, and I am not taking a bus. You bought that car for me, not for Gerald. He’s been here for less than 24 hours, and he’s already taking everything over, taking my car! What else are you going to give him? My room? And send me to the pool house?” Kim complained.

Lakam walked into the kitchen, “Oh, Kim, are you over exaggerating once again about how life isn’t fair?”

“Ate, Ma gave my car to Gerald without even asking me; life isn’t fair!”

“Baby, can you just calm down. He offered to drive you to school every morning until he was able to get his own car. He’s actually being very generous.” Lilly answered.

Kim groaned. “Never mind, I’ll walk, despite the fact that it’s hotter than the equator outside. I can’t believe that you would assume I wouldn’t mind, Ma.” She took her yogurt and started walking away.

“Kimberly!” Her mother called her back. Kim hated it when they called her that. “You’re going with Gerald and that’s that. Now can you please call him and tell him breakfast is going to be ready soon?”

“You’re kidding, right? You think I wanna see the guy who just stole my car?”

“Let me say this again, Kim wake Gerald up, it’s not a request, it’s an order.” Her mother explained.

Kim groaned and stomped her way outside. She muttered words to herself. “I can’t believe that it’s already starting. He thinks he can just come in here and take everything? He’s ruining my life one possession at a time.” She took a deep breath when she arrived at the door, and for some reason, knocking wasn’t required, the door was already opened a bit. She heard a guitar being played, and wondered who was in there with him, and the she heard his voice, unlike any of the times she’s heard him speak. Was that singing? She opened the door quietly, and saw him sitting on his bed already dressed, holding the guitar, and strumming away as well as singing.

“Belief, makes things real.
“Makes thing feel, feel alright.
“Belief makes things true.
“Things like you, you and I.” He started.

Kim stood in the doorway, not realizing she was smiling at first, but as he continued, she told herself that he was extremely good. He had his eyes closed, and was completely within the song. He sang with authority and passion, and played with the same thing.

She was a musician herself, playing her guitar and singing along, but it was mostly for fun. Unlike what she was seeing here. He looked completely captivated by the words, drowning in the meanings behind them. There was something about him that she couldn’t keep her eyes off, and all the anger she was feeling before melted away, along with her preconceptions about him.

And then she suddenly felt herself move back, causing the door to slam against the back wall. She looked at him, and his eyes were on her. She didn’t even realize when he stopped singing, or when he stopped playing, only seeing his eyes on her. She cleared , hoping to seem natural like she just walked in on him, hoping he didn’t see her nervousness, or the embarrassed look on her face. “Ma said breakfast is ready. And that you have to drive me to school, so we better hurry.” She said, turning around and walking away, shutting her eyes in complete humiliation.

Gerald got up and put his guitar back in his case, smiling. He knew she was watching him, he sensed her way before she even exited the house. He heard her open the door, even heard her thoughts, knowing exactly what she was thinking as she stood there watching him. Today was one of the days that he was happy about his gifts, and prayed that it would continue like this, unlike the passed couple of days where he couldn’t sense anything.

Gerald threw on his sweater and walked outside, to the main house, where Kim was eating another mini yogurt. “Gerald, sweetie, there’s cereal ready, or bagels in the pantry, or I could call someone to make you eggs and bacon. I didn’t know what you liked, so I just got everything.”

“Thank you very much, Tita, but I don’t eat breakfast. I was wondering maybe if Kim wanted to leave for school. Of course, it all depends on her schedule.” Gerald responded.

“Oh, I thought it depended on you, since you’re the one driving my car,” Kim retorted.

Her mother glared at Kim, causing her to look away. “Kim, maybe Gerald’s right. You love getting there early on the first day school. And school does start half an hour.”

She stood up, and grabbed her shoulder bag, “Wow Ma, could you make me sound so much more like a nerd?”

“Well it wasn’t that long ago that you were. Old habits die hard,” Her sister made fun of her.

Kim smiled, and gave her sister a kiss on the cheek, “Ate, watch that smart- mouth, you never know what else might come out of it,” she threatened. Then she went over to her mother, and gave her a kiss. “Bye, Ma.”

“Bye, baby.”

Gerald opened the door for her, and let her exit first. Kim, walked towards her car, and before she knew it, he was there opening the car door for her also. “I’m sorry, did you want to drive?” He said, sounding rather genuine.

“Actually, I wanted my car to myself, but it doesn’t seem like that’s going to happen.” She answered, getting into the car.

He shut it for her, and went around the car to the driver seat. “I am sorry for any of the inconveniences I’ve made for you.”

She didn’t look at him, only looked straight ahead quietly. She didn’t need his apologies, though it was nice to think that there was a guy out there who could still be considered a gentleman.

“How did you like it?” He asked her, trying to get something out of her.

“Like what?” She answered back. There was something about his voice that made her want to keep him talking, even if she didn’t answer back.

He smiled, “The guitar. I know you were watching me.”

Kim laughed, “I don’t know what you are talking about.”

He chuckled, “Oh, KC, you are still as stubborn as you’ve been all those years ago. You were standing in the door way, watching me play. You thought I was amazing.”

Kim just stared at him, “Wow, someone’s extremely cocky. And I didn’t think you were amazing. I just thought you were good.

“I thought you didn’t know what I was talking about,” he laughed.

She just shook her head, surrendering herself. It made her smile. She usually was able to keep a lot to herself without slipping; apparently that wasn’t possible with him. “So how long have you played?”

“All my life.” He answered. “My mother paid for my lessons, but then she stopped, said I was getting too old. I didn’t want to stop, so I saved up and bought my first guitar.”

“I don’t remember you playing the guitar all those years ago,” she reminisced,

“You also said you didn’t remember me. There’s a lot you don’t seem to remember.”

“When--?” She started.

He smiled, “When your mother said that we used to be the best of friends. You said you didn’t remember.”

Kim tried to think back. How could he possibly know that when he wasn’t even in town? He didn’t even arrive until the day after. Maybe they had that conversation again when he was in the room, Kim just couldn’t remember. “I play too.” She didn’t know why she said it.

“I know.” He continued to look forward, watching the road, though he focused on her and the words she was saying. “I always thought you were quite musical when we were younger, always singing.” He seemed to laugh at the memory.

“You remember?”

He turned to face her for the first time in the conversation. “I remember a lot, obviously more than you.” Kim chuckled. “So are you part of anything in school? Other than the popularity class?”

“I’ve been a cheerleader since freshman year, but they always hold tryouts. I’m hoping I make cheerleader captain. And I like drama. I’m usually in the lead for all the school plays. And I’m part of the student body, hopefully I make president; considering my status, I’m sure it won’t be that difficult.” She named all of her achievements, and her ambitions.

“Now who’s the cocky one,” he .

The smile that was just on her face, quickly dissolved. “I’m not the person you think I am.” She said. “I know you probably think I’m this spoiled, rich kid who gets everything she wants, but I’m not. I did work hard for where I am now.”

“You don’t have to explain yourself to me.” He said.

“I know, but I just thought you should know, that before you start judging me like everyone else in the world. I’m a completely different person than how the world perceives me.” She didn’t have to prove herself, but she wanted him to know for some odd reason. She didn’t want him to have the same views about her as everyone else.

It was weird, just a couple of minutes ago, she wanted him to leave, and now after speaking to him, she wanted him to think of her as someone he could relate to. What was going? How did her opinion change about him so fast? Was simply a coincidence, or was he doing something to her?

He dropped her off to the front of the school. “I’m sorry for the car again, Kim.”

Kim shrugged her shoulders, opening the door. “Just don’t ruin it. I expect it in mint condition when you return to me, sooner rather later.”

Gerald nodded. “Have fun. I’ll see you at home.”

She shut the door, and smiled at him, “See you.”

He drove away, and she watched him drive, smiling.

“Who is that?” Maja asked. “Is it your Jake replacement, about time.”

Kim laughed, “An old family friend.” She reached into her pocket, and felt something inside. She pulled it out, and it was a sea shell.

“What’s that?”

“Something from my past. I have no idea how it got in here.”

The whole day, she kept thinking about the shell in her pocket. When her and Gerald were younger and hanging around the river banks, they found so many tiny sea shells along with rocks, and since they stayed with Gerald’s family, they stayed with him. Did he slip them in her pocket? Or maybe she always had it and forgot about it. The bottom line was was that Gerald was back, and so was her previous self slowly, but it was essentially coming back.

I HOPE IT'S NOT TOO CONFUSING, KIM FIRST HATES HIM, THEN SHE IS SLOWING CHANGING HER MIND. I DIDN'T WANT IT TO SEEM TO FAST, BUT THATS HOW IT TURNED OUT. MAYBE IF YOU GUYS DON'T LIKE IT, I'LL REWRITE IT LATER, BUT AFTER THIS, THE NEXT UPDATE WILL COME BY FRIDAY EVENING, ALSO FOR SO CLOSE. EXAMS START TUESDAYS, SO IM STUDYING MY OFF THIS ENTIRE WEEK. THANKS GUYS FOR THE AWESOME COMMENTS. HOPE YOU ENJOY IT. THANKS!