Investigation

Fall For You
As he was driving to the hospital, I watched his expression. It’s changed so much since a week ago. I think it’s the first time I saw him scared. “So if Jake’s dad’s the culprit, than what do we do? I mean it’s not like we can go to the cops.”

“Do you think Jake knows anything?” He asked me.

“I don’t know. You’re the one who can read minds.” I reminded him. “Did you get anything from his thoughts?”

He shook his head, “No. He wasn’t thinking about it. All he was thinking about was coming over to pay his respects and to know if maybe there was a chance you’d get back together.”

I scoffed, “Yeah right. That chapter of my life is closed for good. Absolutely 0 chance.” I saw one end of his mouth twitch up into a smile. “What about if he was forcing it? Like controlling his thoughts to keep you away?”

“That’s a possibility. But the next course of action is to get closer with Jake’s father. If he does find me suspicious, we need to figure it out first before we do anything.”

“So you can’t just follow his mind?” I suggested.

He shook his head. “That’s not how it works. Firstly, I need to be in close proximity with the person; a couple of miles tops. Secondly, I can’t just follow everyone’s minds, I need to have some sort of relationship with them.”

“Doesn’t hate qualify as a relationship? I mean if you can follow Jake, then maybe you can get closer to his dad.”

He smiled, “Hate’s not strong enough relationship. Look, I’ve been through this before. I’ve dealt with hunters; I know how to deal with this.”

I sudden shiver went down my spine, “When you say deal, you mean kill?” He didn’t answer. “Does it always end up with someone dying?”

“Not all the time, but most. I need to meet with some people after I drop you off. I’ll be close, so if you need anything, I’ll know.” He informed.

“Is that your way of telling me my thoughts will become yours now?” He just smiled. “How about if I talk to Jake? Make him believe I want what he wants, get close to him, get to his Dad. His dad always loved me. I’m pretty sure I can do it.”

“No, hell no. You will do no such thing.” He said to me.

I sighed, “Oh come on. I already know too much to be kept on the sidelines. I’ll be careful. And you’ll be listening in so you’ll know if I need you.”

“Do you know how difficult it is for me to focus on one thing and be listening in on everything you say? You are extremely distracting.”

“So I guess multitasking isn’t one of your gifts,” I .

He laughed, “Not a strong one. Look, you’re here to be with your dad, have a better relationship now that you’re given a second chance. Focus on that instead of dealing with my problem. I’ll be back later.”

He opened my door in a second. I gasped, “Okay, this little speed thing of yours is getting really annoying,” I said shutting my door.

He chuckled and put each arm on the door, enclosing me in between him and the car. “Will you please do what you’re asked and leave it alone until I get back?” He leaned in close with his seductive eyes on mine. “Please?” He breathed.

If I wasn’t aware of where I was, I probably would have melted into him and done whatever it was that he asked of me, but I got a hold of myself. I put my hands on the hard planes of his chest and took a deep breath, leaning closer to him as if I was about to kiss him, but stopped just as I was a centimetre away from his lips. “For you?” I looked at his eyes which were on my mine, “I’ll think about it,” I smiled and pushed him away, walking away with him. I heard him chuckle.

I entered the hospital and went straight to my dad’s side. “Morning,” I said, kissing him on the cheek.

He groaned as he got comfortable. “Morning, sweetheart.” He muttered.

“Your father refused to get another shot of morphine we all leave.” Mom said.

I turned to face him, “Daddy, you can’t do that. You’re in pain. Go get high,” I chuckled.

He laughed and then soon coughed. I mouthed the word ‘sorry’ and he shook his head, “I feel better already.”

I stood next to Ate Twinkle, and then she grabbed my arm, dragging me out while everyone else was in conversation. I groaned in pain. “Ow, Ate, what the hell?!” I asked when we got into the hallway and I got out of her strong grasp. “What the hell is the matter with you?”

“What’s going on between you an Gerald?” She asked bluntly.

“What? What are you talking about? Nothing.”

She gave me a look like she didn’t believe me. “Really? Well ever since he got here, you’ve been spending way too much time with him, like you’re chained at the hip.”

“It’s glued to the hip,” I corrected her.

“Whatever! You don’t think I see what’s going on? You don’t think I know he slept in your bed last night?”

My jaw dropped, “What the hell are you doing in my room in the middle of the night?”

“I checked on everyone. I saw him with his arm around you and your hand on it. And then he offers to wait for this morning when everyone else leaves.” She raised her eyebrows. “Are you saying that him joining your acting class was totally innocent? Kim, I’m older than you, wiser, more experienced. I see the way you look at him and I see the way he looks at you. Are you sleeping with him?”

“What?! No!” She just stared at me, “No,” I spat. “I’m not an idiot, Ate. Of course I’m not sleeping with him. As for the acting classes, I wanted him to get out. I told him to leave, and I even tried to get the teacher to get rid of him. I even contemplated leaving myself. How can you ask me something like that?’ She looked away ashamed. “He’s using my car, Ate. How else am I supposed to get anywhere? He drives me places and picks me up because that’s my only form of transportation. And last night, I was scared, okay? I didn’t want to be alone last night. I didn’t know about the holding until I woke up. Everything was purely innocent. Don’t you trust me?”

She sighed, “Of course I trust you. I just….you’re spending way too much time with him. I know he’s attractive. I have eyes, and he’s a year older than you, obviously more experienced. I’m trying to look out for you.”

“Thanks, but I don’t need…” my eyes drifted behind her in surprise, “Jake?”

“I didn’t say anything about Jake.” Ate said.

I shook my head, “I’ll talk to you later,” I patted Ate’s arm and walked towards Jake. “Jake, what are you doing here?”

“Where’s your body guard?” He asked.

“None of your business, what are you doing here?” I questioned.

“I wanted to see your Dad.” He showed me the balloons and flowers in his hand. “And I was hoping I’d see you.” His eyes shined.

I was about to throw him off and wipe that stupid smile off his face. But I realized this was my opportunity. “Actually, I’m happy to see you.” I forced a smile. “Why don’t we drop these off and we can talk?” I suggested, leading him into the room.

He walked over to him, setting the gifts down on the table and tried to take my Dad’s hand. “Hi Tito.”

There were no answers, only furious stares. I guess my family was angry for what he did to me. “Sorry, I told them about what happened.” I said to him.

He nodded, “Okay, I’ll come back,” He said. “I hope you feel better.” And then walked out. I followed him. “You wanna go eat something?” I said, though I was still full from the breakfast Gerald made.

We went to the café and I just got more coffee. “So, how are you?” He asked me.

I scoffed, “My dad just got in the hospital because of a car crash, how do you think I am?”

“I’m sorry. I want you to know that I’m here for you.”

“Right,” I shook my head. “What’s up?”

He took a deep breath. “I wanted to apologize for everything’s that happened. I know I’ve been a pretty dumb boyfriend, and I’ve hurt you, and that’s the last thing I ever wanted to do.”

“Jake, you slept with girls while you’re with me. You can’t just say sorry and expect me to forgive you after being caught.” I told him. “But I’m not mad anymore. It was partly my fault, I should’ve kicked you to the curb awhile ago,” I smiled.

He nodded, “Where’s Gerald?” He asked again.

I looked behind me, “He had some things to do. He’s coming back soon, though. And you’re not in his good books so…”

“Why do you like him? I mean there’s something off about him.”

This is was it, this was my opening. “Like what? He’s more good looking?” I joked, but it was true. Jake would score an eight on the ten scale, while Gerald would score twelve out of ten.

He laughed, “There’s a look in his eye, like he’s just about feast on something, like he’s always ready to pounce.”

“He’s just reserved,” I told him, pretty sure this is what Gerald was listening in on. “What else? I mean there has to be more to him that you hate, right?”

“Why do you trust him?” He asked me.

I blanked out for a moment, and then smiled, “Because I know he won’t hurt me. I trust him because he’s given me every reason to.”

“Wait for it, you’ll see the true colours. There’s always two sides, Kimmy.”

“Your Dad say that to you?” I blurted out.

He stared at me confused. “What?”

“Your dad, he called my Dad right before he crashed. They had an argument over Gerald. Do you know what that was about?” I shot back.

He shrugged, “Maybe the whole town doesn’t like him.” He leaned in close. “You’ll learn soon enough who can and can’t trust.”

I smiled, “I think I know who I can trust. Where were you last night, Jake?”

“At home,” he answered quickly.

“Where was your Dad?” I asked him.

He stayed quiet. “So maybe you just taught me something: who can’t be trusted.” I said walking away, and meeting Gerald on the other side.

We walked outside and went into my car. “How’s your Dad?”

“Stubborn. He’s fine though. What happened? Did you find anything?” I asked him.

“What do you know about Jake’s father?”

I shrugged, “Not much. He’s an accountant at Dad’s firm. He works usually during the day, but some nights he stays in the office late.” He stared at me. “Jake used to be my boyfriend, I’d spend the night.” I shrugged again. I sighed, “I also know that he doesn’t have an alibi for last night.”

“His car went missing last night, and from this document,” he held up a folder, “Right before the accident.”

“Well where is he now?” I took the folder and read through it.

Gerald didn’t want to answer. “Ge,” I pushed.

“No one knows.”

“What?” I leaned on the leather seat. “So you’re saying that Jake’s dad is probably responsible for my Dad’s accident and he’s not here, he’s missing?” Gerald put a hand over mine. “Bastard,” I muttered.

“He’s not missing, he’s not at home or at the office. But he could come back, and when he does I’ll know.” I nodded. “Now back to another problem, what were you doing with Jake.”

I tried to hide a smile, “He came to see my Dad. And when we started talking I thought I might as well ask.”

“I told you not to, Kim. What does it take for you to listen?” I groaned.

“I’m fine. Nothing happened. What’s wrong with what I did? I’m trying to help you.”

“Kim, you don’t know what kind of trouble you’re dealing with here. This isn’t your battle.” He told me.

“Look, my Dad is in the hospital, my family was threatened, and you expect me to just sit back and not do anything. No. I’m going to get to the bottom of this with or without you. And if that means talking to Jake, than I’ll do it.” I said.

He sighed, “I don’t like Jake.” I blurted out.

I laughed, “Yeah, he feels the same way. What? You’re not jealous, are you? That I’m speaking to him?” I said when I saw the look on his face, all tense and confused and torn.

“Right, of what? Skinny arms and legs and someone who could get their kicked? Please,” he tried to rub it off.

I nodded, “Don’t worry, Ge, you’re still special to me, too.” I brought my hand to his chin like a child.

He slapped it away. “Get away,” he muttered.

“I’m glad to see that this whole battle isn’t bringing your spirits down.” I smiled.

“See, I can multitask.” He smiled.