untitled [sad chapter]

Fall For You
[**STILL IN THIRD PERSON NARRATIVE**]

They rushed all four, including Kim to the hospital, Gerald following her never letting go of her hand. “Is she okay?” He asked walking in the same pace as the Doctors.

There were a whole lot of doctor language in which he didn’t understand. Her still body with the oxygen mask on made his heart break. He did this, he did this to her.

“Kim!!! Where’s my daughter! Where’s Kim!!?” Lilly ran in with all her children desperately trying to find her daughter. Gerald was told to stay put and Lilly ran to a crying Gerald. “Where is she? What happened?”

He looked to Twinkle who seemed to be able to read his eyes. “Mommy, come on,” she grabbed Lilly and brought her to the window in which Kim was inside. Twinkle went back to Gerald and pushed her hair back, “What happened?”

Gerald sat down on a chair and buried his face in his hands, “He put something in her.” He mumbled, wiping his eyes.

“I found this in her room, mind telling me what the hell it is?” She took out the note. “‘The end is near’.”

“It’s from Jake.” Gerald whispered. “He’s dead.”

Twinkle’s neck snapped up and looked at Gerald. “What do you mean he’s dead?”

“William Chiu; 38 years of age; bullet wound in right forearm. BP’s normal. Get him to the ER to be treated.” A doctor wheeled him in.

Twinkle stood up and so everyone’s head turned, “Daddy?” Twinkle walked to him, “What the hell happened?!” She glared at Gerald and she disappeared to another room.

Chris was next and from the looks of it, Isabelle was up with the help of her brother. Gerald walked to them, “Are you okay?”

Isabelle still looked pale but it was only her arm which was bandaged and her forehead. “Yeah, I’m fine, how about her?” She implied Kim.

“Izzy, not now,” Chris whispered.

They took a seat, and waited. Isabelle put her hand on Gerald’s shoulder while they waited. Chris knew better than to start anything. A couple of minutes later, the doctors came out of the room and so did Kim’s mother. Gerald walked to her, and they shared a moment in silence. Lilly knew how much he loved her daughter, and when she saw him in tears, she saw as her duty to comfort him. She reached up and hugged him, being the only mother figure he had in the moment. “She’s okay,” she said to him. “The Doctor gave her the anecdote for whatever was injected into her, and she’s stable. She has a broken arm and a third-degree sprain on her right ankle. Other than that, she did suffer a concussion from the supposed car accident she was into, and they’re giving her a sedative. But she’s going to be fine.” She wiped away his tears and said he go inside while she checked on her husband.

He walked into the dim room and saw that she was lying there in her still body. She was hooked up to another IV and an oxygen tube in her nose. He took a seat next to her and hesitated when he reached out to touch her. She was in a hospital gown and a blanket wrapped around her with her arm sticking out and in a brace. She had purple bruises on her neck, and a bruise on her forehead with a red cut in the centre. It was cleaned up, but staring at it, he could imagine her crying out when he did this to her. Her arms even had finger marks on them. If Jake wasn’t dead, he would’ve killed him without a second thought for breaking her.

He touched her face so carefully, tenderly to make sure she wasn’t in any more pain than she must be at this moment. What if something else happened to her? Despite this, what if she wasn’t so lucky? Isabelle walked in and she put her hand on his shoulder, “Chris told me not to come inside, but I’m not going to sit there and let you do this to yourself.” She stared at Kim and then back at him, “She’s not dead, Ge. You can’t do this to yourself. She needs you to be strong. You asked her to fight; you need to fight for her too. When she wakes up – and she will – she needs you to be here for her. Okay, we all know you’re strong, Ge and we all know that you never give up, but this is going to be the hardest part. She needs you to be strong for her and you. Can you do that?”

Isabelle thought of Kim as a close friend. They’ve known each other for months, and Kim was the only person that knew her secret and didn’t walk away. She didn’t have to pretend around her. She really did hope she was going to get better. Isabelle walked to Kim’s head and leaned in, pushing her hair back. “Get better soon, Kim. We all need you, Ge needs you. See you soon,” she whispered in her ear.

“Thank you,” Gerald said trying to smile. Isabelle nodded. “Chris is taking me home for a little bit. But we’ll be back, so don’t hesitate to call, okay?” Gerald agreed. “I know you don’t want to think about this, but the police also need your statement.” She walked to the door, but stopped and turned around, “Everything will be okay, Gerald. You just need to believe it.”

Gerald ignored the cops. He needed this time with Kim. He spent awhile, focusing on Kim’s thoughts, trying to see, trying to hear whatever it was that was in that gorgeous mind of hers. Ten minutes later, and nothing. Just darkness and blackness. He rested his chin, holding her hand against his lips. “I need you to be okay. I don’t know if you can hear me, but I do remember when I was dying that you hear sounds. I always thought if I jus concentrated enough you could hear it. So please, I beg you, please hear me, Kim. I love you so much.” He used the back of her hand to wipe away the tears. “Can you please just give me a little sign, lift your finger,” he chuckled, “cough, or flutter your eye lids. Just give me anything to let me know that you’ll be okay.”

“Gerald?” It was a man’s voice from behind him. “The police need to speak to you.”

“I don’t want to leave her,” he admitted.

When he came into Gerald’s vision, it was Kim’s father with an arm brace. “It seems like there’s a lot of broken arms today.” William tried to lighten the mood. “The police just need a statement, Gerald. And after we need to talk.” He looked up at him, “Kim’s not going anywhere.”

Gerald kissed her hand and then her forehead, “I’ll be right back.” He left the room and two men in uniform met him. Gerald answered all their questions as truthfully as possible. He explained that Jake was a jealous ex-boyfriend whose been playing games with them; first with the accident, then with the break in. He was an obsessed boy who wouldn’t stop until he got what he wanted, which was to hurt whoever hurt him. He took her to the warehouse and Gerald came running after them with Erich’s help. They got into a nasty fight because Jake had a gun and threatened Kim with the syringe. Jake took her outside and the next thing he saw was Jake getting shot and Kim on the ground.

It took all about ten minutes to rehash the story, but before going back into the room, William walked out closing the door behind him. “We need to talk.” Gerald stayed still and looked at the older man in front of him. “I know what you are,” he whispered. Gerald’s eyes widened, “I know what you are, and I have what you’re looking for.” He took out three little bottles. “I understand that you have two friends with you.” Gerald didn’t answer. “I understand that you want my daughter safe and well. That’s what I want too.”

“You want me to leave in exchange,” Gerald finished.

“You probably saved all our lives, but at the end of the day, she will be in danger if she’s associated with you.” William explained.

Gerald knew that one day it’d come to this, and he knew that this would be the best time for it. He didn’t want to, but he did want the best for her. Maybe she wouldn’t see it immediately, but she would. And maybe it didn’t make sense yet, but it would…someday. He did need to do this for her. As much as he would hate himself for this, he couldn’t risk another event like this. There’d always be more reasons on why they could never be together, and this, this would be reasons 1-100.

“Let me at least say goodbye,” Gerald whispered. William nodded, and moved to the side for him to enter.

“I know you’re going to hate me because of this, but I need you to be okay. And you’ll be okay once I leave, I know you will. I hope one day you’ll forgive me…and maybe I’ll be able to forgive myself. I’ll always love you.” He kissed hr cheek and left.

Kim woke up the next day, early in the morning, and it was her mother who stayed with her. She explained what happened and that she’d be okay if she took it easy for the next couple of days.

“Where’s Daddy?”

“Your father is at home with the family. He’s fine, he was discharged last night.”

“And Gerald?” Kim sat up and groaned. Her ankle was throbbing, but she needed to know that Gerald was okay.

Her mother’s smile faded. “He’s at the house…packing. His mother heard about what happened, and decided that he needed to go back home. He wanted to say goodbye, but you weren’t awake yet and his plane was leaving tonight.”

“He’s leaving.” She stated. “Mommy, when can I go home?”

She started adjusting the covers, “The doctors want to keep you for a couple more days just for observation. But you’re out of the woods. Thank goodness,” she sighed.

“Can you um…get me something to eat,” Kim asked swallowing the lump in .

Her mother smiled, “Sure. I’ll be back soon,” she kissed her daughter’s forehead and left.

Kim reached and grabbed the phone and dialled Gerald’s cell phone. Kim knew everything, he couldn’t lie to her…but he could dodge her phone calls. The next number she called was Erich. “Erich, I need you.”

Erich entered the hospital in a sweater and sweat pants. “Hey you. You look better than last night,” she chuckled.

Kim’s mother left for a couple of hours, and when Kim said Erich was coming over, she was more confident in leaving her daughter. “I need another favour.” Kim hopped out of bed already changed. It hurt, but it needed to be done. “You need to help me get home.”

“They’re discharging you? Kim, you don’t look that good.”

“Gerald’s leaving, and I need to see him before he does.” Kim explained.

Erich laughed like she didn’t believe her. “Kim, did you get amnesia or something? You were injected with some sort of poison that entered your bloodstream.”

“They gave me an anecdote.” Kim answered.

“Okay, but you have a broken arm, and a sprained ankle. I love you, but not enough to help you break out of the hospital.”

Kim sighed and put on her coat, “Listen to me, I’m getting out of here with or without you. I just figured I had a better chance with you. Erich, I’m not breaking out. Let’s call this like an outdoor visitation. I just need to talk to Gerald and then I’m coming back here. Are you helping me or not?” She slipped on her flats, and put on her shades.

Erich closed her eyes, and stared at her friend, grabbing her arm supporting her, “I guess you could add felon to my transcripts and resume. If your mom finds out…”

“She’ll be back a little later. I just need to talk to Gerald, promise.”

They got out of the hospital without any resistance, mostly because Kim could walk 98% normally and since no one particular was looking for her.

Erich drove her home and she walked through the backyard to get to the pool house. All the cars were in the drive way, so her Dad didn’t drop him off yet, unless he took a cab.

She saw a shadow in the pool house moving, and knew it was Gerald. She was angry now. He thought he could just leave her without an explanation. Hell no. Kim paused for a second and took deep breaths, her body still felt more exhausted than usual, but she needed to it up and get it over with. “Kim, I think I should bring you inside, first.”

Kim shook her head, “No. Can you knock on the door for me?”

“Kim, what the hell are you doing here? Does your Mom know?” Kim’s Dad was outside now and he sounded pissed off.

She ignored him. Gerald opened the door and his eyes widened at the sight of her. “Kim, what the hell are you doing here?” He repeated her father’s words.

Erich held on tight of her friend, “Kim, you need to sit down.”

She took a deep breath, “What do you think you’re doing?”

“Kim, you need to be in the hospital,” he stated.

“No, answer my question. I did not go through all of this just to be abandoned.”

“Kim, you don’t understand…”

I chuckled, “I don’t understand? I risked my life for you. I did all of this for you. I was in an accident because of you; I was thrown against a wall countless times enough to break my arm. I was injected with poison to protect your damn secret, for what? For nothing?!”

“I never asked you to do all those things for me.” Gerald said.

I shook my head, “Your mother called you? Don’t lie to me, you haven’t spoken to your mother for over a year. So after everything I’ve done for you, why are you leaving now? Why are you leaving me now without even saying goodbye?”

“Kim, you risked your life for me. For my secret. I almost got you killed. I’m not going to stand here and watch you die.”

“Jake’s dead.”

“You think he’ll be the only one? Haven’t you listened when I told you? There will always be others as long as we’re alive. It will never stop, and as long as you’re with me, you’re putting your life in danger.”

Moisture filled her vision, “And where was all this concern months ago?! All of a sudden its goodbye after we’ve been together for what, four months?!”

“Kim, I’m the one who told him to leave,” William interjected.

“You almost died!” He screamed. “You almost died, so yes I think it’s time for me to leave. Kim, I know you don’t understand this now, but one day you will.”

I turned to look at my Dad with tears falling. “This is your fault.”

“No, Kim…” Gerald tried.

“Kim, you almost died because you were with him. I’m not going to apologize for wanting the best for my daughter. For wanting to see my daughter alive.”

Kim shook my head, and pulled away from Erich. “And what about me? You asked him to leave because of what you wanted, but what about me? Did you give at least one thought to what I wanted and what I was supposed to do when he left?” So she was angry at her father for not even thinking about what she wanted, but she was also angry at Gerald. He tells her he loves her more than anything, saying that he needs her, and then he just gets up and walks away? She turned to face him. “You did this to me.” She told him. “I didn’t need you, Gerald. I didn’t even ask for you. But ever since you arrived in September, every time I turned around, there you were. You play hard to get, you tell me we can’t be together for months, but still, there you were. Until I started to expect you, and look forward to you being there. You made me depend on you! Everything I did was for you!”

“Kim…” He sighed. He didn’t know what to say to that. “I already know the burden I have on the people I love; which is another reason for me to leave. If you’re with me, you’re always going to be on guard, always on the look out. You won’t be able to fulfill all the hopes and dreams you want to accomplish, and that’s what I want for you! I want you to be happy.”

Kim tried to laugh, “God, Gerald, how clueless are you?! My hopes and dreams? You want me to be happy? None of that means anything if I don’t have you. You want me to be happy? I want you to be with me! How many times do we have to go through this? Tell each other how much we mean to each other? Gerald, I love you!” Kim expressed. “And now you’re going to leave me?” Kim asked. She could see that she was breaking his heart, but it was nothing compared to what she was feeling. “And now you’re going to break my heart just like the rest of them. That’s fine,” I said.

“Kim…”

“No no no. I’m going to be the first to walk away. Have a nice life.” Kim turned towards the drive way. But when she took another step, the exhaustion took the best of her. Her legs gave out from underneath her and she collapsed.

But Gerald was just in time to catch her in his arms. Her eyes were closed and she wasn’t moving. “Kim? Kim?!”

I KNOW I KIND OF RUSHED THIS CHAPTER, AND I APOLOIZE, I JUST WANTED TO START PICKING UP THE PACE, FILLING EVERYRTHING I CAN INTO ONE CHAPTER. I HOPE YOU LIKE IT. I KNOW IT’S A HEARTBREAKING CHAPTER, A SAD CHAPTER, BUT IT NEEDED TO BE THIS WAY. IF THERE’S ANY CONFUSION, I’LL START THE NEXT CHAPTER WITH A SHORT SYNOPSIS, MAYBE EXPLAINING THE REASONS FOR SOME OF WORDS THAT’S BEEN SAID. ANYWAYS, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE COMMENT AND HAVE A GREAT ONE GUYS!!!!!