Chapter 23

Someone As Cold As Me

A/N: Hey what’s up! Long time no see! Anyways thanks to QM_Jiwoo, gotsone, and Nyah-Nyah for upvotes and thanks to all the subscribers, readers, commenters!

As a note the italics are flashbacks. Have fun reading!

 

------------------------------------------------------------------

 

"My name is Jessica, Jessica Jung. You are?"

 

"Why do you want to know?" her tone was cold and without care.

 

"I'm just curious. So your name?"

 

"Yujin, Choi Yujin. Now if you'll excuse me Ms. Jung I have someone waiting for me." Yujin was about leave again, but was tugged by Jessica again.

 

"If you don't mind can I come along?" Jessica asked.

 

"Sorry, but I don't think having a stranger around is a great idea."

 

"But if I come along we can get to know each other and we won't be strangers. Right?"

 

Yujin sighed, "You're not going to give up are you?" Jessica shook her head and pouted making Yujin blush and turn away at her cuteness, "Fine, but if I get hit for being late it's your fault!" Yujin said making Jessica's mood completely change.

 

"It still works!" Jessica said to herself.

 

"What did you say?" Yujin turned her head and asked.

 

"Oh nothing!" Jessica smiled and they continued on to their destination.

 

--------------------------------------

 

"I wonder where we're going?" Jessica thought.

 

They were currently in Yujin's car heading somewhere. It was quiet but not at all awkward, well not for Jessica anyways. Soon the car was parked infront of a huge mansion and the two got out of the car. As they approached the house a little girl was already running out to her mother.

 

"Mommy!!" Hyojin shouted as she ran to her mom. She ran into her mothers arms and gave her a tight huge, but Yujin was soon hit with punches on her chest by her daughter. "You're late mommy! You said we can go get ice cream! Can we?!"

 

"Of course honey! I promised didn't I?" Yujin smiled and mouthed 'see' to Jessica.

 

Hyo jin smiled and was so delighted to be going out with her mother. She soon noticed the figure standing next to her mom and immediately recognize her. "Oh! You're the pretty Auntie! Hello! I'm Choi Hyojin!" The little girl bowed and greeted the other. "Is she coming with us mommy?" Yujin nodded, "YAY!! I finally get to meet the pretty auntie!"

 

"Pretty Auntie?" Jessica rose an eyebrow.

 

"Yeah you're the pretty auntie in mommy's picture!"

 

"Oh really?" Hyojin nodded. Jessica looked shocked knowing this information.

 

"Um Hyojin-ah now that you met Auntie…Auntie Jessica lets go get ice cream now! Yeah?" Hyojin smiled widely and furiously nodded her head.

 

Hyojin took her mother's hand in her right and Jessica's in her left surprising the two adults. However, they continued to proceed to get ice cream. On the walk to Hyojin and Yujin’s favorite Hyojin talked about her day she spent with her grandmother and all the things she saw today. Yujin listened to every detail and gave the little girl the warmest smile. Jessica listened as well, but she was more focused on how Yujin did all of that. The way she respond the to the little girls questions, the way she chuckled at the little girls funny way of telling her story, and especially that warm caring smile on her face. This was something she wished she could’ve seen when she and Yujin had kids, but like always life isn’t fair.

 

As soon as they entered the parlor the little one let go of the adults hands and happily ran to up to the glass that separated her and the ice cream. Of course she was too short to see the ice cream, so she patiently waited for her mother to come lift her up. Although she already knew what she wanted to eat she still loved seeing all the different kinds of ice cream flavors.

 

“Well, well, well, who do we have here?” said a young man no older than twenty.

 

“Yugyeom oppa!” The little one shouted. “Can I please have one scoop of strawberry ice crewm peasss?”

 

“Haha of course you can!” He showed the girl a big smile, “The usual for you noona?” He asked Yujin and she nodded, “What about you?” He turned to ask Jessica.

 

“Vanilla is fine.”

 

“Alright! One vanilla, one strawberry, and mint chocolate chip coming right up!”

 

After getting their ice cream Hyojin ran to their usual spot in the parlor and happily took her seat and ate her pink strawberry ice cream. Jessica and Yujin soon followed along after paying for the ice cream and sat next to the cheerful little girl.

 

“Auntie Jess?” Hyojin said.

 

“Yes?”

 

“Can you stay for dinner?"

 

Jessica smiled soon faded away and she looked at Yujin, who turned the other direction avoiding eye contact.

 

"I don't think I can Jinnie and I don't think your mother would like me coming over."

 

"But Auntiiieee peasss?!!" Hyojin pouted and pleaded, "I really really want auntie over!!" She then began to jump up and down I her chair.

 

"Yah Choi Hyojin! Stop that!" Her mother demanded.

 

"Okay mommy." The little one sadly lowered her head.

 

Silence once again in engulfed the three people. All that could heard was the sound of ice cream being eaten and a girl shifting in her seat.

 

"If you want to, you can. I'm not going to stop you."

 

-------------------------------------------------

 

“Oh hi honey you’re ho-” Mrs. Choi said, before she looked up to see another figure with her daughter and granddaughter, “Jessica?”

 

Jessica bowed, “Hello Mrs. Choi. It’s nice seeing you again.”

 

“You as well Jessica. I’ve seen you’re fashion brand all over the city. It seems you’ve been good.”

 

“Yes, I have and you?”

 

“Not so bad. So I’m assuming she’s staying for dinner?” Mrs. Choi then turned to Yujin.

 

Yujin only responded with a nod before leading her daughter to the sink to wash her hands.

 

“Don’t mind her she’s just… stressed.”

 

---------------------------------------------------------

 

“Auntie Jess, can you tuck me into bed?”

 

“Yeah sure! Lead me to your room.”

 

“Yay!” The little girl cheered, took Jessica’s hand, and led her to her bedroom. “Alright! Now lets get you into bed.” Jessica said as she uncovered the bed, “Goodnight baby girl.” Jessica kissed her forehead.

 

“Goodnight Auntie Jess!” Hyojin smiled as he drifted off to sleep.

 

Jessica smiled happily at the little one in the bed and quietly left the room. Across from Hyojin’s room Jessica found Yujin in what she assumed was Yujin’s room talking on her phone.

 

Yujin looked frustrated. Unhappy…. Stressed. Jessica was hesitant to enter the room, but she slowly did. When Yujin saw the approach her she quickly ended the call.

 

“Thank you for tucking Hyojin into bed.”

 

“No problem. I… uh I should get going.”

 

“No.”

 

“What?”

 

“You’re not going anywhere. It’s late. It’s not safe for you to go by yourself.”

 

“Then send me home.”

 

“I don’t want to. I’m tired.”

 

“Okay… then where do I sleep?”

 

“Here, I’ll go sleep with Hyojin.” Yujin pointed to her bed and began to walk towards her daughter’s room.

 

“Wait!” Jessica grabbed her wrist before she could escape.

 

-----------------------------------------------

 

Yujin POV

 

“Wait!” She said as she grabbed my wrist. I stopped. She spun me around so I could see her, “Stay with me.” She whispered.

 

Her eyes looked into mine and our lips mashed together. The feeling was like nothing I ever felt... or what I think I ever felt. I didn’t resist it. I let her do what she pleased. Soon my hands were removing her black cardigan and her back hit the soft mattress.  Soon our clothes scattered over the bedroom floor. The only sounds that were heard were the huffs and moans of the girl beneath me in that bed. My heart feeling like it would explode at any moment now. I knew that I might regret, but in that moment it didn’t matter. Nothing mattered.

 

End POV

 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

The now brunette girl’s eyes fluttered open. She looked to her side just find an empty space before her. She sat up and realized the latter was on the balcony staring up at the dark morning sky. The sun had not yet risen and the only light that was from the one from the balcony. She then got up and grabbed a near by robe that was laying on the chair next to her and walked towards the girl outside. She watched as the girl brought the hot black liquid to her lips.

 

“I thought you hated coffee? Black especially.” the brunette interrupted the silence.  

 

“I still do.” the girl showed a sour face. “It’s disgusting.” she said in a cold monotone.

 

“Then why do you drink it?”

 

“When you have a job that requires no sleep… it’s… the only thing that… keeps you going. Physically and mentally.”

 

The brunette then remembered when the girl had told her that she should stop drinking coffee because it was bad for her.

 

“One black coffee please. What about you? Same?”

 

“No. I’ll have a hot chocolate.”

 

“You know you should really stop drinking so much coffee. It’s not good for you.” The younger one said as they sat down.

 

“Oh really? Says the one who drinks alchol all the time.”

 

“I don’t anymore since you told me to stop. So you should stop drinking coffee. Why do think you’re so short huh?”    

 

“Hey! Whatever! Why do you hate it some much anyways?”

 

“Why do you hate coffee?” She asked.

 

“Because it’s too...bitter. That’s probably why I like it too. It’s like me.”

 

“But when mixed with cream and sugar the bitter taste goes away.”

 

“But it defeats the purpose of the coffee.”

 

“Because it’s too bitter, but when mixed with cream and sugar the bitter taste goes away. It’s kinda like me and you. You’re my cream and sugar that makes the bitterness inside disappear.”

 

‘You’re still you. No matter what you or anyone else says’ The brunette smiled to herself remembering the memories they used to share, but now it’s only her. . “It might defeat the purpose, but it makes it taste even better.”

 

“That’s true.” She said taking the last sip of coffee and placing the cup on the table. She then stood and walked inside passing the other girl. The brunette then spun her around and kissed her, but this time there was no response, so she stopped and looked down in disappointment. “The bathroom is right there and you can take any clothes you want from my closet. One of the maids can you to the dining room to eat when you’re done and they’ll have someone to send you home.”

 

“So that’s all?” Jessica’s voice filled with sadness and anger, “We have… what was to me… one of the best nights and moments of my life. Only to have it be a one night stand? Is that what it was? Am I not anything more to you anymore.” Her voice began to crack.

 

Yujin stood with her back facing the latter. Expression unchanged and unmoved. She didn’t say anything, she only walked to the entrance of the bedroom.

 

“You’re more than you think and it’s dangerous.” She said not turning back walking out of the room.

 

Jessica broke down in tears. Her sobs became uncontrollable and her legs began to lose their strength. She somehow found her way to the bathroom, but then she sat under the freezing cold shower. After that she did what was said. She ate breakfast and someone brought her home and all before the break of dawn.

 

When she got home she laid in her bed feeling empty and alone. Why is it that their lives ended up like this. Star crossed lovers. They were no Romeo and Juliet, but it seemed like their stars did not align what so ever.