Love Medicine

One at a time

 

2 Months have passed since Kangin lightened up Kyuhyun’s negative thoughts. Heechul still comes thrice a week or more, when he is available. Kyuhyun got to know more about his talking-nonstop hyung that just bring smiles and snarky thoughts out of him. But he likes it, his company. He stills waits for Sungmin to come again though; he must be very busy with stuff… or that is what he forces himself to think. Kyuhyun is beginning to feel his throat smoother, but won’t say anything. He’ll be patient as Kangin told him, now at ease because he knows they are waiting for him, that they won’t go anywhere without him. He feels loved.

 

 

When he finds himself alone in the room, he plays with the Rubix cube Donghae gave him. He thought it was the stupidest gift someone could ever give, but actually takes his boredom away at times, and his mind speaks for him. One certain Tuesday, when his activities didn’t satisfy him, he was watching out the window, randomly trying to recognize some car or some face, with the knowledge that it was 1-1000000 possibilities.

 

 

A double knock on the door guided his eyes to that direction, meeting Donghae’s child eyes, surrounded by a soft blush.

 

 

-“Hi” the older voiced softly, recognizing in Kyuhyun’s eyes the surprise and intention of mouthing his name, which brought him a little burst of satisfaction, “..I had my schedule cancelled, so I decided to come and see how our Maknae is doing..” he said almost like it was a dialogue he had to memorize for a school play. His heart was painfully beating inside his chest, but as his image could not be so pathetic, he faked a sudden “cancellation of schedules” (when he himself postponed them).

 

 

The feeling his heart yelled at him began to be so annoying that sometimes at night, he couldn’t sleep until 4 am. He has been coming every time he can, and he knows Heechul knows, but he will just play dumb. Kyuhyun was a person so important to him that he decided it was time to face him and speak to him, get over with the embarrassment. He scratched the back of his ear, and mentally realized it was a sign of nervousness and removed it harshly, earning a hit in the edge of the corner table.

 

 

-“Ouch..uhm, the others told me you are feeling better lately”

 

 

Kyuhyun chuckled at that clumsiness that brought him some kind of déjà vu, and motioned him to sit, nodding briefly.

 

 

Donghae’s slight laughter brightens up a little the silent atmosphere. He missed the voice of the younger so much, that he had dreamt about it sometimes, about Kyuhyun whispering some things to him, like hyung, like please, like I L

 

 

The sound of the drawer opening interrupts his thoughts. It’s Kyuhyun getting the Rubix cube out of it and showing the solved version to Donghae, with a sweet shy smile. The older fights the desire of kissing his smiling lips in that in moment. Wait, What?

 

 

-“Ah, I see you solved the cube” he voiced reflecting Kyuhyun’s smile, with an extra childish look, to what Kyuhyun nodded intensely.

 

 

-“Kyu… Can you.. uhm, tell- I mean sign me about what you have been doing lately?” I would like to know how you are doing; your injuries are getting better right?”

 

 

Again, Kyuhyun reduced everything in a meaningful nod, and began taking stuff out of his drawer, like a pencil, and some not-so-skillful drawings he did in his free time, some cards of his parents and sister. He signed to his ribs, and Donghae tried saying out loud his interpretations of Kyuhyun’s cute signs. Every sign was a difficult game in which Donghae was not so good at. But in the end, would guess it.

 

 

They laughed constantly and Donghae almost forgot about his pounding heart, almost.

 

 

                                                                  ***

 

 

The doctor had said he was going to get better, he said they should just wait and not force him to speak. But sometimes, he just thought it would never come back.

 

 

Now he missed his voice. His tone and his disrespectful words and his dragging spoiled voice and his singing….

 

 

My voice..

 

 

Another moment of weakness enveloped him while he was alone. Then he opened the drawer and fished the notebook with doodles. He notes that the pencil attached is not sharpened and a defeated sigh escapes is lips. Glancing around he sees nothing useful neither for sharpening the pencil nor another thing to write with.

 

 

His trembling arms toss the white paper-thin blankets to the side and turn his body carefully. The moment to stand up and walk further than the bathroom is now. If he doesn’t do it now, maybe never will the time come. If he doesn’t force himself into it, maybe his body will tense more and more until an irreversible state of partial paralysis attacks him. The fear of that being a possibility brings him up in one go.

 

 

Oh!

 

 

It doesn’t hurt that much. It’s uncomfortable, yes, but not as before. With a smile plastered on his face he approached the door that was already opened only a little fissure. Just before opening it wider, he caught a familiar voice filtrating from there, the sound increasing its volume as he neared the door.

 

 

-“…or the people that will attend?”

 

 

….

 

 

-“ Ah! Arasso! Then, you win, I’ll go with you”

 

 

When he captured the smile on his face he knew something wasn’t right. The smile he had plastered on his own disappeared at the instant.

 

 

-“But what should I bring?”

 

 

…..

 

 

-“Are you sure…… arasso, arasso. Fine.”

 

 

……..

 

 

-“Be careful on your way,” a pause followed and then resumed in one meaningful “See ya~”

 

 

Kyuhyun was speechless, his throat got dryer than it had been all this time. He didn’t want to interrupt his call so he stayed by the door, listening to everything his hyung said to the other person in the line. Who was he talking to? He never smiles with those glistening eyes with someone else.

 

 

The moment after that, Sungmin brought his feet in the direction of the maknae’s room, making the latter jump in his place and move as quick as he could without hurting himself to the side of the bed. Sungmin entered to a Kyuhyun trying to get up from his bed to do who-knows-what.

 

 

-“Kyuhyun-ah! Don’t force yourself!” he said as he ran to help the younger. The latter smiled eagerly as he placed his hands between the two, a way of stopping Sungmin.

 

 

He mouthed ‘It’s okay’ and smiled as he did, so Sungmin calmed down and seated in the chair next to the window,

 

 

-“Had you tried walking by yourself before?”

 

 

A nod.

 

 

-“Does it hurt?”

 

 

A negative one.

 

 

-“Jinjja?!”

 

 

Another nod.

 

 

-“woah, kyuhyun-ah! Your condition seems to be getting better quickly!”

 

 

He stayed silent, thinking about Leeteuk that healed much faster than him, feeling down. But then, his injuries were from really different levels so comparing was unreasonable.

 

 

-“So, what are you intending to do now that you are up and can walk?”

 

 

He motioned to the door and showed his unsharpened pencil. With the other hand he signaled a sharpener sharpening the pencil. Sungmin laughed at the cuteness, and stood up.

 

 

-“I’ll go with you”

 

 

Kyuhyun was so immersed thinking about the person Sungmin was talking too that he disregarded the fact that Sungmin came alone for the first time. They walked together to the attention center, Sungmin following Kyuhyun at his slower pace, amused by him and also watching his steps. They arrived at the reception of that floor and Sungmin was fast to communicate his friend’s desire.

 

 

-“My friend-“ But Kyuhyun wasn’t happy with that, he touched his shoulder gently but in a desperate way of telling him he himself wanted to tell the lady. Sungmin stared at him for some seconds and brought his eyes t the lady again.

 

 

-“He wants to tell you something”

 

 

The lady, a little amused, turned his attention to the taller and after taking a look at a list on her desk, she talked.

 

 

-“What is it ….Kyuhyun-ssi?” she said reading the name from the list. “has your voice come back?” she asked him to what he nodded negatively.

 

 

-“He’s getting better, but not yet” Sungmin interrupted.

 

 

-“Then, may I know your request?” she observed him with kind eyes. She was kind of young so she wasn’t the moody type of nurse that has been working on a white simple building for 50 years.

 

 

Kyuhyun brought his pencil up and then mouthed some words to her, pointing at the tip of the pencil. She stayed in the same position for a couple of seconds. Then she understood, and his mouth showed it.

 

 

-“Oh!” she rolled her chair back some inches. “You want a pencil!” she said, and Kyuhyun’s face displayed confusion. He actually wanted a sharpener, but a new pencil would do too.

 

 

He nodded hesitantly, somehow disappointed in his failure.

 

 

She searched for her things and found a pencil with a tip as sharp as a knife, and handed it to the handsome guy in the hospital gown.

 

 

-“Here you go, Kyuhyun-ssi” she smiled sweetly at him, “I’ve been told your condition is getting much better, so just rest and everything will settle by itself” she comforted him and busied with her papers again.

 

 

Kyuhyun took the pencil and returned to his bed, instantly writing on the paper. Sungmin seated himself on the side of the bed, trying to catch an eye of what he is doing, but the younger only hid his notebook from his hyung.

 

 

-“You don’t want to show me? Why?” Sungmin demanded as he kept trying to see.

 

 

Kyuhyun nodded ‘no’ with his head and dodged the other.

 

 

-“Well okay, then” Sungmin said pretending to be mad, but being more like the opposite of that. He stood and walked slowly to the entrance.

 

 

-“I am leaving, then. I, that didn’t have schedule, decided to come and see my Maknae, but when I come, it seems I am not needed…” his drama felt like a bad school play, but Kyuhyun still worried that he may actually go. He didn’t want that, he was writing something he didn’t want him to see… yet. But that didn’t mean he wanted him to leave.

 

 

He motioned desperately for his hyung to stop, even though Sungmin wasn’t going to surrender to those silent please, since this act was amusing him very much. He smiled internally and continued his acting.

 

 

-“I may go, then, and go chill at someone’s house, since you don’t like me to make you company….” He voiced with dramatic voice as he approached slowly the door.

 

 

Kyuhyun synced his hand movements with a mute open mouth that trembled in an attempt to say something.

 

 

-“Bye, Bye, Kyuhyun-ah” he said and then took the doorknob.

 

 

-“..-O… N-NO!, Please Don’t Go Hyung!” Suddenly, an audible sound filled the room and broke Sungmin’s act in the moment. His amused face turned into a serious one, as if he had seen a ghost. Kyuhyun’s face was, if not more, as surprised as Sungmin’s. Both of his hands ended up covering the lower part of his face as in disbelief.

 

 

Both stayed silent for some seconds and then Sungmin was the first one to bring sound into the four white walls.

 

 

-“K-Kyuhyun-ah, you… your voice…. is back!” he smiled as he walked again next to him.

 

 

The younger only stared at him, with the same open-like-plates eyes that he made when he heard his own voice again.

 

 

My voice…. is back?!  His mind repeated, afraid to try and say it for real.

 

 

-“Kyuhyun-ah, try… try again” the encouragement brought fear to the other as he negated eagerly with his head.

 

 

-“Come on! You have it, just try!”

 

 

He negated again, this time less effusive.

 

 

Sungmin understood in part his fear, and calmed down, to seat next to him. He took his hand and Kyuhyun’s heart almost fell to the ground. His pounding chest was beating so fast it was almost hurting his injured ribs. He looked at him in the eyes, the latter refusing to lock his eyes with him. He just hoped for his hands not to be trembling.

 

 

-“Okay, what happened is something awesome Kyuhyun, your voice came back. Even if now you can’t talk well, or it is a little rough, it’s back, and that is a very good sign. Oh my God, can I call Leeteuk and tell him?”

 

 

He looked at him with worried eyes. He heard it, it was his voice. it was clear, though not very loud, but clear. He lowered his hands and swallowed. Sungmin was looking at him, he knew the Maknae would try and speak something, so he didn’t say anything more.

 

 

His mouth hung open a couple of seconds and, “H..H-hyung..” an angelic voice appeared in between them, “I can talk again…”

 

 

His already watery eyes began shedding tears as his head hung low, the true relief of having recovered his voice. Sungmin squeezed his hand as a way of support. 

 

 

__________________________________________________________

 

Okay,I give you permission to tell me whatever you want to. I know I was really late wit this update, as I usually upload in two weeks maximum. I am so sorry, and Here is the next chapter I worked so hard to have.. even though I couldn't do much each day because of the work I had... and the amount of homework. Anyways, I hope you enjoy this chapter, since Kyu has finally recovered his voice! but now... how will Super Junior react to this and what will happen now that they are preparing a new album?

Ok.. I am bad  at this... se you next chapter! also check up on After the Strom, Always Comes the Rainbow that I already uploaded some days ago. Please give it a try too, but remember that you have to be over 18 :)

 

I love you very much.... thank you for taking the time of reading my humble work.

 

:) until next chapter!