ChanBaek - Epilogue

A Series of EXO, BTS & GOT7 Drabbles

There were no tears shed by Park Chanyeol on the day Byun Baekhyun died.

 

Chanyeol went to the cemetery after Baekhyun was finally laid on his resting place, after the funeral service. Everyone had left already and Chanyeol was the only one there. He wasn't welcomed at the funeral because Mr. and Mrs. Byun blame him for Baekhyun's death.

 

He walked towards the tombstone and read the inscription.

 

Byun Baekhyun
A son. A wonderful person.

May 6, 1992 - November 18, 2013

 

He scoffed reading the description. 'A wonderful person? How would you know?' he thought. He sat by the tombstone and leaned back, resting his head on it.

 

The skies were gray, reflecting what he's feeling at the moment. He never had a friend like Baekhyun; he never tried that hard to be friends with someone.

 

Chanyeol looked up and stared at the gray clouds hovering over him.

 

Baekhyun was different, difficult even. He grew up in the hospital and wasn't really open to friendship, but Chanyeol changed all that. Chanyeol was Baekhyun's first and last friend.

 

Staring at the sky, Chanyeol remember the last time they spent together. It was the first time he saw a genuine smile from Baekhyun. It was the last time Baekhyun heaved a breath.

 

They were on the park across the hospital. This was the only place they could go since Baekhyun wasn't even allowed to go out of the hospital premises, but he insisted that he and Chanyeol go out. Chanyeol remembered Baekhyun being so persistent that afternoon. He sighed. 'You know then, did you? You know it would be your last day.' He smiled weakly as he closed his eyes.
 

That afternoon, Chanyeol and Baekhyun were in Baekhyun's hospital room. They were doing Chanyeol's calculus homework. And then out-of-nowhere, Baekhyun told Chanyeol that he wanted to go out. 'Hey Yeol? Can we go out?' Those were his exact words. Chanyeol remembered how confused he was at the time. He knew Baekhyun wasn't allowed of the hospital, and how it would affect his body. But Baekhyun insisted. And Chanyeol, being Chanyeol, gave in.

 

They snuck out of Baekhyun's room, creeping slowly to the fire exit at the end of the hall. Once they were out, Baekhyun shut the door closed and rested on it. He sighed and smiled. Chanyeol's eyes widened at Baekhyun's smile. 'Baekhyun never smiled before, what would make him smile now?' Chanyeol thought.

 

They carefully went down the stairs. It was a good thing that Baekhyun wasn't wearing a hospital gown, or else they would be noticed as they walk past the lobby. As they got to the park, Baekhyun ran to the slide and like a little kid he went down the slide all giddy and very happy. 

 

Chanyeol was confused as to why Baekhyun was happy that time; little did he know it was Baekhyun's last day to spend with him. He walked towards one of the swings and sat on it. He was watching as Baekhyun was having the time of his life, playing in the playground. He knew it was Baekhyun's first time to play in a park; he was locked up in a hospital after all. And Chanyeol just smiled seeing how happy Baekhyun was.

 

After a few minutes of running around, sliding down the slide and hanging on the monkey bars, Baekhyun was tired. He walked towards Chanyeol, panting.

 

"Yeol, why are you just sitting there?" Baekhyun asked, still panting.

 

"I'm good. It's fun just watching you have fun like a little kid." Chanyeol laughed.

 

"You're no fun. We're here to play you know!" Baekhyun said, as he sat on the vacant swing beside Chanyeol.

 

"Rest, you need it." Chanyeol said.

 

"What does it look I'm doing?" Baekhyun cocked an eyebrow at Chanyeol, giving the latter a 'duh' look.

 

Baekhyun wasn't even sitting for five minutes when he stood up and walked towards Chanyeol, standing right in front of the latter. "Let's watch the sunset?" He suggested.

 

Chanyeol gave him the 'what's-up-with-you' look, and Baekhyun just rolled his eyes. "Come on!" Baekhyun took Chanyeol's arm and pulled him, dragging the latter across the park looking for the perfect spot to watch the sunset. And they found one, under this big tree that overlooked the whole city. They sat, by the roots, beside each other.

 

The sunset was spectacular. They watched as the sun sink, drowning the whole city in this bright orange light. It was a first time, for both Chanyeol and Baekhyun, to watch such sunset. It was one of the best times they spent together.

 

Chanyeol felt Baekhyun rest his head on his shoulder, and he smiled. He draped his arm over Baekhyun.

 

"Thank you, Chanyeol." Baekhyun said. "Thank you very much."

 

Chanyeol looked at Baekhyun, who was smiling. It was genuine smile, and it the first time Chanyeol such beautiful smile, making him smile himself. "What for?"

 

Baekhyun was still smiling, with his gaze not leaving the beautiful scenery that was right in front of them. "For being my miracle." He mumbled.

 

That was how they spend Baekhyun's last moments, watching the sunset. It was one of Chanyeol's most treasured memories. 'You know then, didn't you?' He thought.

 

Chanyeol felt raindrops showering his body but he didn't do anything to move from where he was seated. Chanyeol couldn't shed a tear; he shouldn't, after all Baekhyun would hate to see his only friend cry. But with the rain, it was hard to tell if he was crying or not.

 

'Thank God for the rain.'

 

He sat there, thinking about Baekhyun, thinking about their last day together, and thinking about their short yet very striking friendship.

 

He was sad that he lost a friend, a best friend, a great friend. But he was also happy because now, Baekhyun's no longer suffering, Baekhyun's no longer sad and Baekhyun's smile will never vanish from his face.

 

'Look out for me Baek. I'll miss you.'

 




(03/26/14)

This is one of the things I passed for my finals in my Creative Writing class. It's an epilogue to a story that I passed for a contest.

Hollup, I'm posting two drabbles tonight. ;) - RiksiRixa