Hidden Past

Sequel To "Trainees for love?"

Minji's POV

 

As soon as I finished my sundae and Youngmin finished his, I looked at the picture of Ricky again. *Ricky... I miss you...* I felt the tears prick my eyes as that day crept back into my mind. *M-Minji... bali... R-Ricky... he...* I could still hear her trembling voice and heavy sobbing. Her as in Suyun. "Yah, Minji... about Ricky..." I was pretty sure Youngmin was kinda awkward to ask me about him. "Oh ne, Ricky..." It hurt so much just to say his name. Ricky... we didn't even get to say goodbye...

 

Suyun's POV

 

"Wanna tell me about Jinhyun?" Jeongmin came by my side with a gentle smile. I smiled a little myself as I started to reminisce about that bloody day. All that red... Dark, crimson red... I shudder and Jeongmin put his hand on my shoulder, which calmed me down a little. "Jeongmin... first, you should know this story involves Noona." his hand slid off my shoulder as I caught a glimpse of disappointment on his face. "Kwenchana Jeongmin?" I asked, just a little worried I said something wrong. "Oh ne, kwenchana. Go ahead, tell me, jebal." he said, suddenly smiling brightly. I sigh... "My little brother, his name is Kim Jinhyun. He was 2 years younger than me. He was really bright and cheerful and happy." "Just like you eh?" I giggle at his comment and continue, "Jinhyun and I... we ran away from home when I was 6 and he was 4." "Why's that? And at a young age too?" Jeongmin looked at me worried. "Our umma... she was abusive and strict. She refused to let us eat or drink unless we paid her. I wanted a better life for Jinhyun, so I took Jinhyun and ran as far away as possible from a place I used to call home." "What happened to your appa? Did you have any other siblings?" I nodded, "My appa left to go to America after Jinhyun was born. And... I had an older brother... but I don't even remember his name or his face..." Jeongmin rubbed my back. "Kwenchana, Suyun." he said soothingly. I nodded again with a weak smile. And with a deep breath, I continue again, "About a year after we left, we met Noona. And she and her family took us in. Noona and I became friends."

 

Minji's POV

 

"My best friend from back then was Ricky. Our families were really close, and they planned for me and Ricky to get married when we grew up." Youngmin had a look of doubt and disappointment, but he still listened intently. "Ricky and I, we started dating at some point. But then..." I couldn't concentrate as I trailed off. Youngmin patted my back without saying anything as I started again, "One day, when the both of us were at the park, we found two little kids." "Who were they?" Youngmin asked, curious. "Suyun, and her little brother Jinhyun." "Ohhh... so wait, Suyun has a little brother? Where's he?" I laughed a little, "Shut up and let me talk." He smiled and let me continue. "My family let them stay with us. Suyun and her brother ran away from home because their umma was abusing them, and they ran away the year before. And the two of us became friends." I smile to myself. The mini figures of Suyun and her brother warmed my heart. But then that smile faded from my face.

 

Suyun's POV

 

"About 7 years later, the day before my birthday, Noona and Ricky got into a really bad argument. And Noona told me they broke up. She was devastated." "Oh, so is that why Minji is so cold and harsh?" I shook my head, "Partly. The next day, the day when I turned 13, Noona said that Ricky texted her, saying he wanted to get back together, and to meet him at the park. So Noona left the house to go meet him. Jinhyun told me he had a surprise for me, so he and I went out for a walk. We were gonna go to the ice cream shop..."

 

Minji's POV

 

"I walked to the park, since I didn't have a ride. And Ricky texted me the whole time. He told me how he took a taxi to go to the park to meet me there." "Aish!" Youngmin exclaimed. "Couldn't he have just come to your house instead?" I thought about it. "Well yeah he could have..." Maybe it'd turn out differently. "But yeah. He and I were texting each other the whole time. He was sending me cheesy lines and saying googly things that made my heart flutter." I saw a change in expression on Youngmin's face. Jealousy? "But then just suddenly... Ricky stopped."

 

Suyun's POV

 

"Jinhyun was rushing, he was skipping happily ahead of me. "Yah noona bali bali! I wanna show you now!" he would shout at me with a smile on his face. "Slow down Jinny!" I would always reply to him. We came to in intersection and the light went red, so we were able to walk through. But then I could hear screeching as I neared the crossing. From nowhere, this crazy driver spun out of control, and right in front of my eyes... Jinhyun was hit, and just barely missed me..." a lump formed in my throat as I was on the verge of breaking down into tears. Jeongmin pulled me into a hug to help calm me down so I could keep going. "The car swept away Jinhyun, and hit a taxi. Jinhyun was crushed by both cars... there's no way he could've survived. As soon as the cars stopped, I rushed to find my little brother... but... it was too late..."

 

Minji's POV

 

"I started to get worried when Ricky took so long to reply to me. I remembered I texted him "I love you too" just before he stopped suddenly. I had arrived at the park and I waited and waited, but Ricky never came. Then I heard screaming, and there was a commotion. Everyone was rushing to go see what happened. Then I got a call..." My voice became scratchy and Youngmin rubbed my shoulders. "It was from Suyun. I remembered how hard she was sobbing, and how hard she breathed. "M-Minji... Jinhyun he... He..." she couldn't form a sentence, much less explain what went on. "Bwoh? Suyun what is it?" I asked her, but she kept sobbing and crying. I knew something was going on. "M-Minji... bali... R-Ricky... he... and Jinhyun... they both... They... M-Minji bali!" she kept screaming into the phone." My voice hurt my throat as the tears rolled down my cheeks rapidly. Youngmin was nice enough to pull me into a hug and rested his chin on my head. "Suyun kept shouting and crying into the phone and she wasn't that clear. "Bali! T-the... h-h-hospital... Minji jebal!" after that she hung up on me. Hearing Ricky's name, I dashed to the hospital as fast as I could. Suyun was just outside the operating room with the red light on. Her eyes were red and puffy, and she was still crying. I gave her a hug as she explained to me what happened. Jinhyun was hit by a car, and that car hit a taxi. The taxi that Ricky was riding in..."

 

Suyun's POV

 

"It took about 6 hours before a doctor wearing a mask came out. Noona and I stood up as he told us "Mianhae... we did all we could..." and he shook his head. Noona and I bursted into tears as the rolled out Ricky and Jinhyun on those gurneys with sheets covering their bodies. I couldn't believe it... I lost my little brother, Noona lost her loved one... One of the doctors tapped my shoulder and I turned. She held a small box and told me "You're little brother said it was your birthday today. This was your present from him. Happy 13th birthday." I took the small black box and opened it. It was this bracelet..." I looked at my bracelet with mine and Jinhyun's initials engraved on it. Jeongmin looked at it too. "There was a note too, written by Jinhyun." I dug through my pant pocket and took out the exact note my dongsaeng had wrote and showed Jeongmin. I memorized it all, re-reading it for the past 3 years, and read it aloud as Jeongmin read it silently. "Dear Suyun-noona. Jeomal mianhae that I didn't save up enough money to buy you that bracelet you wanted. But I hope that this one is good enough for you. Thank you so much for being a great noona! Happy 13th birthday! Keep smiling arasso? -Jinhyun"

 

Minji's POV

 

"After that... Suyun kept on a brave face and a happy smile at all times for Jinhyun. And Ricky... the last thing I read from his messages was "Minji, I'm so sorry I hurt you. I love you and I love you forever." And that's why I stop myself from getting close to anyone else. I keep a harsh persona so everyone will stay away from me. And Suyun and I promised each other we'd never leave the other. And we became best friends since then." Youngmin hugged me tighter. "Mianhae Minji, I didn't know..." he said in a voice with sorrow and sympathy. "Ne kwenchana." I said as I pull away and wipe my tears away. "Kaja, we should go back." "Oh ne." we both left the Domo ice cream shop without saying another word about that incident 3 years ago.

 

*Noona read this chapter and she cried!! Aigoo ujima ujima ujima!! Special guest, Ricky from Teen Top!!