Chapter 28

House of Revenge

A letter was dropped on his desk as JY was checking on the market share reports. Yubin stood in front of him in the study room at home after putting the letter on his desk.

“I hope it’s not a resignation letter, Yub.” JY took the envelope to open.

“Nope. I have been served, apparently.” Yubin announced. “And surprise, surprise, in my home country! In Korea!”

JY stared at the letter, his expression stern. “They finally found us…Took them some 10 years, eh?”

“What I found weird is…” Yubin wondered aloud as she sat down. “Why not take me down like they did so the violent way like they killed my family in the past?”

“Because the son is not the father. The son is not into violence….but doesn’t make him any less cunning and unscrupulous.” JY told her.

“You knew this was coming?” Yubin asked.

JY nodded. “I knew the House of Yang was not gonna just sit and not do anything. It’s either we make the step to attack them first or they do it first. And looks like they found your San sam-chon before we did.”

“So what is this lawsuit on me about? They are using Jinsan sam-chon to fight me for some inheritance? Whatever father left me was bought over by House of Yang when I left the country!” Yubin then probed. “JY, if you are keeping anymore family secrets from me, you better tell me now.”

“sigh…I guessed it’s time to tell you.” JY continued. “Yubin, soon, you will turn 27. An age that your grandfather trusted was perfect timing for you to inherit something so important that he kept it safe with his lawyers and no one else. Somehow rumors of this “inheritance” started spreading and I guessed the House of Yang caught hold of it as well.”   

“What inheritance?”

“I wished I knew too. But I guess only you will know when you turn 27. We kept you away from Korea to keep you safe so that our enemies do not find ways of making sure you do not turn 27. It has been peaceful so far all these years…but I guess Chairman Yang has finally lost his patience and found a way to lure you back to Korea.”

“I can’t believe you kept this secret from me for so long, JY!”

“I don’t even know if this “inheritance” rumor is true! Now that our enemies seem to be taking this rumor seriously, I am glad I took the precaution to keep you out of Korea all these years!”

“What if it’s only Jinsan sam-chon that is behind this and just wants the inheritance?”

“He’s been hiding for so many years, Yubin. Why only fight you for it now? I know he must have been found and used for this. Besides your Yee sam-chon mentioned to me before this law firm is Chairman Yang’s newly hired firm.” JY noted from the letterhead of the letter.

“I guessed you are right.” Yubin shook her head. “Though it’s been 10 years I have not seen my 3rd uncle, I doubt he would suddenly decided to turn against me like this. He could have asked me without a lawsuit, and I might have come to some agreement with him on this mysterious inheritance. No reason for him to go through a lawsuit against me.”

“Yeah, so I’m pretty sure Chairman Yang is behind this.” JY nodded.

“ok, so what now?” Yubin asked finally. “Korea awaits me, it seems.”

JY turned to look at his niece. “You seemed….like you are ready to launch your counter-attack already?”

“You know well enough how long I have been waiting for this moment, sam-chon.” Yubin smiled.

=====

Three days later, Yubin arrived with her five brothers at Incheon airport. She could not help but relish the fresh spring air in Seoul, exclaiming “Home Sweet Home!”

As soon as the House of Jin siblings checked in the hotel, they were greeted by their 3rd Uncle Jinsan’s supposed lawyers at the lobby.  The siblings gasped in shock when the familiar handsome face greeted them with a group of lawyers behind him.

“Miss Kim Yubin, we have come to inform you of our meeting tomorrow at this address at 9am.” Taec spoke professionally as he handed Yubin a piece of paper.

“You Bastard!! in traitor!” Chansung roared and was about to pounced on Taec but his four brothers reacted quickly and stopped him.

“Let’s not bother with such a person!” Wooyoung told Chansung as he pulled his younger brother away.

“All this while, he has been working with the enemy? Our most hated enemy?!” Chansung called out before Junho and Woo pushed him into the elevator.

Yubin stared silently at Taec, her hand still not reaching to take that piece of paper from Taec. She was too absorbed in torn emotions after seeing her long-lost lover for the first time after a year. Taec seemed to be controlling his emotions well, though she noticed him swallowing hard at some point.

“Yubin-sshi?” Taec spoke again.

Minjun snatched the paper from Taec on behalf of Yubin. “She heard you! Now go!” he snapped at Taec.

Taec nodded solemnly and turned away. Yubin could not move as she watched Taec walked out of the hotel. Minjun and Khun had to guide her away to go to their suite.

While her brothers go on about throwing angry words about Taec’s betrayal, Yubin sat quietly as she wiped a tear away. God, she missed Taec so much and here her brothers were angrier than ever at the meeting of their long-lost brother. Of course, they did not know the truth of his supposed betrayal. Yubin knew. As to how or why Taec ended up working for her sworn enemy, she would find out soon enough.

“Do you all really hate your brother that much? Do you all really believe he is such a person?” she asked her brothers.

“I didn’t believe. For years, I have never believed he had betrayed the family.” Junho said. “But seeing him as the representative lawyer of our enemy, I can’t help but start to believe his treacherous deeds now.”

Yubin signed as she had no words to rebuke to that.

Later that evening, Yubin and her brothers met up with their lawyer to discuss on the impending meeting tomorrow. After the dinner ended, Yubin told her brothers she was too tired and will have an early rest. Only Chansung and Junho accompanied her back to their family suite while Minjun, Khun and Wooyoung stayed out for drinks.

In the peacefulness and privacy of her room, Yubin eventually fell asleep, dreaming of Taec. In her dream, Taec was her cheeks lovingly, telling her how beautiful she was and how much he missed her. He whispered to her, in a tearful voice of how long he had waited to see her and to touch her.

“Touch me then. Kiss me then..” Yubin whispered back. She moved her hands to wipe his tears away as he moved his hands gently down her neck. “I love you…I don’t even care if you are working for my enemy for real.” Yubin muttered as she pulled him in to kiss him.

The kiss was so real she could taste him. That familiar taste. “I love you too.” Taec told her in between kisses. “Trust me, Yubinnie. Trust me that soon all this will be over and we can be together at last. Just go with the flow for now, ok?”

Then he broke their longing kiss and disappeared from her dream.  

The morning call from Junho woke Yubin up. She blinked and opened her eyes, noting daylight streaming into her room. Go with the flow? Those last words from Taec did not sound dream-like at all. As she got out of her bed, she noted that the connecting door in her room was open but the door on the other connecting room was locked. She did not recall leaving the connecting door open. And then it dawned upon her. This time, she smiled in contentment and anticipation.

A/N: Another sudden inspiration after so long...