Chapter 16

House of Revenge

"So where is this fishing place we are going?" Yubin asked as she held onto her faithful hiking cane outside the cabin while the other hand held on tight to the crook of Taec's arm.

After treating Yubin's ankle with new bandage and ankle guard, Taec carefully helped her put on the new pair of padded sneaker boot. Yubin was once again grateful to her trusty care-taker. The boots fitted perfectly.

"It's a secret place not too far away. Just follow me." Taec announced as he led Yubin towards the woods.

Yubin was walking better than yesterday but she still needed support since some parts of the wood were a little rocky and steep. When they came to a foot long steep step, Taec took a step down and held out his hand to support Yubin. She grabbed his hand as she carefully took the step. Then instead of going back to the crook of his arm, Yubin held on to his hand. She did not seemed to want to let go, enjoying the stirring warm feeling holding his hand gave out.

Taec noticed Yubin's tight grip on his hand and let her hold on to it. For a moment, he actually felt like a teenager holding the hand of a girl he liked a lot on their first date. There was a long silence between them as if they were too shy for words. It felt easier to guide Yubin by the hand as well when they made it to their destination faster than Taec expected. The secret place was a mini waterfall. Since it was winter, the waterfall was frozen with white sharp spikes but the small stream below was not frozen. Yubin took in the beautiful sight and notice some fishes swimming in the shallow stream.

"If it's summer, we could actually catch the fishes with our bare hands. But now the water's too cold for us to put our feet in." Taec revealed as he went about taking out 2 mini foldable stools for them to sit.

Yubin took a seat on one of the stools, watching Taec take out 2 fishing rods.

"Sounds fun! I wouldn't mind catching those fishes with my bare hands." Yubin realized her fun, adventurous side was back. She had been throwing herself into work she was indeed missing all the fun in her life.

 Taec grinned, noting her adventure enthusiasm back and asked her, giving her a challenge. "Do you want to put the bait on the hook?"

"YES!" she readily squat down next to Taec as he open up a box revealing some live worms.

Sensing Yubin would be too grossed out to touch the flimsy creature, Taec passed Yubin the fishing hook while he reached in to pick out a worm. But Yubin beat him to it as she picked up one worm and pierced the hook right through the wriggly worm herself.

"You done this before?" Taec asked.

"Nope." Yubin confessed. "But did I do it right?"

Taec checked on her hooked worm and nodded proudly.

The pair sat down with their rods resting in their hands after they threw in their first fishing line in the middle of the stream.

"So you came here with Uncle Yee and Will to fish before?" Yubin asked.

"No..I don't think they know about this waterfall. I came here before with..." Taec stopped himself. He was close to saying "with Jess"

Yubin looked at him curiously, prompting him to continue."With who?"

Taec decided to reveal. "I came here once during summer with a friend... Jessica."

"Girlfriend?" Yubin's curiosity was killing her.

"Ex-girlfriend. But we didn't stay at the cabin. We were just trekking and happened to come across this waterfall." Taec explained.

So it was an ex-girlfriend he had fun catching fishes with their hands and their feet submerged in the water. Yubin felt an intense jealousy arose which she never felt before. She chided herself for being over-sensitive over an ex-girlfriend who was not even a current. And who was she to be jealous when she herself was already engaged to someone else. Yubin fell silent and was not sure how to continue the conversation. She stared at the stream where her fishing line was for a long while.

Taec noted Yubin's silence and wondered if he said too little or too much about his ex.

"Are you ok?" he asked.

Yubin reacted quickly with a shake of her head. She told herself she should not be feeling this kind of jealousy. So she decided to play the naturally concerned sister, friend, whatever.

"So... Why did you break up with her?" she asked casually.

Taec adjusted his seat uncomfortably but he decided to answer casually as well. "We knew it wasn't going to last long. And being friends was much better."

But Yubin did not seem to be satisfied with his nonchalant answer as she added. "Because you are a serial-dater? Because you can't stay long in one relationship and had to go on to the next one? Am I right?"

Taec frowned. "Why are you judging me now?"

"I'm selling my body to get to the goal of getting back my family's empire. Who judged who first?" Yubin reminded. God, why was she being a to Taec now? This jealousy was getting to her too much.

Before Taec could respond, Yubin's fishing rod shook suddenly. She quickly reacted by gripping her shaky rod tight. She railed the fishing line in but Taec told her not to rail in too much.

"It may break the line, Yub!" Taec explained. He reached out to guide Yubin hands. "You need to release it and pull it back depending on the tension."

"I'm trying but it feels like it's still going to break. This fish is a difficult one." Yubin admitted as she struggled with the fishing rod. She was now standing up but one of her foot obviously was not giving her enough strength to hold her stand.

Taec noted her difficulty and quickly moved behind her, supporting her body from the back, his hands over her hands on fishing rod. He guided her with precise railing in and release of the fishing line. Yubin felt his familiar warmth around her again, subconsciously calming down to enjoy the feel again. She let him take control over her fish catch.

"It's getting close!" Yubin exclaimed as she watched the fish possibly losing its strength. She turned to see Taec as elated as her.

"It's a big one, Yub!" Taec announced as the fish finally surfaced surrendering to Yubin's fishing hook. "We are going to have some nice sea bass for dinner."

Yubin was so proud of her catch she could not help but celebrate with Taec. She excitedly turned around wrapping her arms around Taec's neck and planted a kiss on his cheek. And before Taec could react, she had already turned back to help him rail in the big catch.

After unhooking the fish and satisfied with their one big catch, the pair packed up and headed back to the cabin. They did not hold hands this time, unless there was a step too steep which Yubin needed help with. Now that Taec had a heavy fish to carry in the box, Yubin told him she could walk on her own with just her hiking cane. She was also still conflicted with her hot and cold treatment towards him. After an almost fight she picked with him, next thing she was kissing him on the cheek. What was wrong with her?!