Chapter 3: Teases, Warnings and Lectures

DJ got us falling in love

Minji was looking at her phone for the past hour.

He hasn’t called me. Yet. Is this a good thing or a bad thing? I feel like I’m on my toes for doing something bad. Scratch that. I really did something bad and got caught by the guy who shouldn’t have caught me. Kikwang oppa, I’m going to whack your head when I see you. Why did you have to give me a fake ID? Now that I think of that ID, where the heck is it? When I came home that night, it was gone. Aish! I’m so careless.’

Suddenly her phone rings. Minji was startled. She was just looking at it with her hands clasped together, contemplating whether to answer her phone or not. Bom, who just entered her room, looks at the frightened maknae with heightened curiosity. ‘Why is she looking at her phone like that? Is she on One Missed Call movie looking scared like that?’ Bom smiled mischievously. ‘Looks like Dara rubbed some of her tricks to me.’ Bom held Minji’s shoulders and in her booming voice, “Gong Minji! Why aren’t you answering your phone? You did something bad didn’t you?” Bom’s eyes were twinkling mischievously.

“U-u-unnie! What are you doing in my room?” Minji stuttered but Bom answered Minji’s phone. 

“Hello? This is Gong Minji’s phone.” Bom said. “Unnie!!!” Minji screamed.

“Omo, Kikwang? Yeah, she’s here. I’ll give it to her.” Bom looked at Minji with a questioning stare, and said, “You are too close with Kikwang these days. Are you two dating? You know you still have one more year in the dating ban. Oh, but I don’t care anyways. Tell me if you two are dating so I can cover up for you two. By the way, he’s hot.” Then, she winked at Minji, threw Minji’s phone to her and went out of the room.

“What did unnie just said?” Minji spaced out. “Yah! Minji-ah! Are you there?” Kikwang said over her phone. “Oh, right. Kikwang oppa.” She held her phone onto her ear.

“Oppa?”

“Yah! Are you in your right mind? Why did you go to the club without telling me? Did you get caught?”

“I wouldn’t be talking to you if was caught. Are you stupid?”

“Oh, right. Yah! Why are you calling me stupid?”

“Oppa, I lost my fake ID that night.”

“You WHAT!!” Minji held her phone away from her. 

“You! Gong Minji! You’ll get it from me later!” Kikwang shouted and ended the phone call. 

“He is sure furious. Oh, shoot! I didn’t tell him that I was caught by Lee Taemin.” Minji said to herself.



♠♠♠




In KBS broadcasting station:

“That girl really!” Kikwang said then went away.

“So, it was Kikwang hyung who gave her this ID so she can enter the club.” Taemin said to himself while playing with Minji’s fake ID. Apparently, he also got the ID while he got her phone during the dance battle. Jonghyun tapped his shoulder and said, “Taeminnie, why are you spacing out? We have a show to record let’s go!”

When the recording ended, Taemin cornered Kikwang. 

“Kikwang hyung!”

“Oh, Taemin. Why?”

“I have something you have to see.”

“What is it?” Kikwang asked. Taemin showed Minji’s fake ID to Kikwang and he leaned to Kikwang and said in a grudgingly tone, “Don’t ever let Minji step in the club again.” Then he smiled at Kikwang and left the guy dazed. 

Kikwang looked at Taemin’s retreating back and murmured to himself, “You are not that innocent anymore Lee Taemin. You live up to your name but what makes you think I will let Minji fall into your trap? You can have all the girls but not Minji. She’s too pure to be corrupted by your ways.”

“Now, let’s start playing Gong Minji.” Taemin said to himself while smiling seductively to his new prey, a girl from a new idol girl group.

♠♠♠




“Minji, are you listening to me? Are you waiting for someone to call you? You are glancing over your phone for the past 15 minutes. Gong Minji! Hello!!” Chaerin said to Minji while waving her hand over Minji’s face to get her attention. 

“Yes, unnie? Did you say something?” Minji asked. Chaerin just smacked her own forehead and said, “There’s no use talking to you. Why are you glancing at your phone as if you are in the movie One Missed Call and waiting for your death?”

“I thought I am the only one thinking that. Good thing Chaerin did thought of that also. I’m not crazy.” Bom said while she hugged Chaerin “Unnie, I can’t breathe.” “Are we playing ‘Love Chaerin till she chokes?’ I want to play too!!” Dara said and joined in hugging Chaerin.

♪Ding Dong♪

“Who could be visiting us at this hour?” Dara asked as she let go of Chaerin and went to open the door. Bom is still hugging Chaerin and Minji looking at her phone and to her unnies simultaneously.

“Minji! Kikwang’s here.” Dara said while her eyes twinkling and Bom immediately let go of Chaerin and eyeing Minji as if she’s her next target. Minji noticed this and said in her defense, “Bommie unnie, we are not dating. He is just an oppa. So whatever you are thinking, it is never true and ain’t gonna happen.” Bom pouted at her and Minji went to meet Kikwang at the door.

“I’ll leave the two of you to talk.” Dara said but Kikwang said, “Dara noona, I’m taking Minji over the café near here, is that okay? I need to talk to her in private.” Dara was about to answer him when Bom pounced on Dara and said, “Answer me honestly Kikwang, are you two dating? Are you in love with our maknae?” “Bommie!!!!” Dara screamed at Bom in which Bom answered her with a questioning look and, “What? I’m curious. Aren’t you curious that our maknae is always with him? It’s either they are dating or he’s in love with her.” 

“Noona, I’m just taking Minji out for latté. We are just friends hanging out together.” Kikwang explained. Bom crossed her arms and pouted. “I don’t buy it but I’ll let you two off for now.” “Aigoo, Bommie unnie, why is it so hard for you to understand that guys and girls can be friends.” Chaerin said while motioning Kikwang and Minji to go out now while Bom is pre-occupied. “Do you expect me to believe that you and Key are just friends? I don’t think so Chaerin. I know when a couple is born.” Bom argued. Dara shaking her head and saying “Here we go again. I think Bommie needs to have a boyfriend in order for her to stop prying on the maknaes lives.”

When Minji and Kikwang were out of the complex building, the two started laughing. “Seriously, Bom noona is really 8D.” Kikwang said. “I agree. What was she thinking? The two of us would never work.” Minji answered back. “Come on, let’s go.” Kikwang said. Then the two went to the near café.

♠♠♠




“Taemin, you are way getting out of hand with girls.” Jonghyun said. “Hyung, are you getting angry because your prodigy is beating you out of the competition?” Taemin answered lazily while reading Minho’s book. “Yah, I didn’t teach you know how on girls just to play with them. Ever since you and Sulli broke up, you have been hooking up with random girls. The longest relationship you have after Sulli was with Suzy. Why don’t you just find a girl you can seriously fall in love with?” Jonghyun reprimanded him. 

The moment Jonghyun said the name of the two girls, Taemin threw the book away and said, “Hyung, can you please stop mentioning those two names? Okay, fine. I won’t play with the girls. I’ll hook up with them every other week. Is that okay?” Then, he left and went to his room. Jonghyun just shook his head, “Where is Kibum when you need him? Taemin will become a world class playboy at this rate.”

♠♠♠




At the café:

“So what’s this about? You never show up to our dorm unless it’s pretty serious. Don’t tell me, you’ll court ‘her’?” Minji said as she sat down and grabbed her drink from Kikwang. “Pabo! It’s not about that. Care to tell me how did you get out of the club in time before the police came?” Kikwang said while sipping his coffee. “Oh. That. Uhm.” Minji answered while playing with her fingers under the table. “Don’t think of lying to me, Minji. I know when you lie.” Kikwang said.

“Okay, I was dancing my life away like I always do when Lee Taemin came gliding to the dance floor and asked me to do a dance battle with him. Of course, I won’t let him beat me on my territory and accepted. We danced and then he held me so close and whispered that he knows me. He practically dragged me out of the club before the police showed up and that was it.” Minji said and Kikwang was dumbstruck. 

“Lee Taemin?” he asked. 

“Yes.” She answered.

“As in SHINee’s maknae, Lee Taemin?”

“Yes, oppa.” Minji said while looking at him with a weird look. Kikwang was silent for a while until he said, “You better stay away from him.”

“Stay away?”

“You know his reputation. He’s a playboy and you are an innocent girl who hasn’t fall in love yet. You are in danger to becoming his prey.”

“Yah! Do I look like a stupid girl to you? I’m a 2NE1 girl!” 

“I’m only looking out for you. You better stay away from him.” Kikwang said with the finality of his voice. 

“Fine! I’ll stay away from him. Besides, he’s not my type. He’s a pretty boy.” Minji said.

Then, they looked at each other. After about 30 seconds both cracked up laughing. 

♠♠♠




Taemin was lying on his bed thinking. ‘Seriously, hyung is much worst than Key umma when nagging. Why the heck should he brought up those two again? They are out of my life. Why should I let myself fall seriously in love again? To get hurt again? No way. It’s better this way. I get to play with girls. I get what I want and they get what they want.’

He suddenly sat up and opened his bedside drawer. He looked at a framed photograph of him and Sulli smiling. Tears came down from his eyes and then he threw the frame onto the wall and said, “Liar.”

He put his hand on the inside of his jeans’ pocket and felt something. He took it out and it was Minji’s fake ID. He suddenly smiled. “I nearly forgot about you. Time to play.” He opened his laptop and began typing.

♠♠♠


“Thanks for the fun time, oppa.” Minji said as she and Kikwang part ways near her dorm.

“You are always welcome, maknae.” Kikwang said jokingly.

“Yah! I’ll be 21 soon. In about a hundred days!” Minji said.

“Then, I’ll still call you maknae until the hundred days is up!” Kikwang teased.

“Oppa!” Minji said. “Okay, okay. Don’t let your temper flare up. I have a sitcom to record. Remember, stay away from Taemin. Bye!” Kikwang said. 
“Okay, oppa. Take care and be careful when driving!” Minji said as Kikwang went to his car and drove away.

Her phone suddenly rang and she absentmindedly answered while smiling, “Yah! You miss me already? You know you shouldn’t use your phone when driving. It’s dangerous you know.”

“Yes I miss you already and thanks for the reminder Gong Minji, I’ll keep that in mind when I’m driving. Meet me at a convenience store near your dorm. I’ll be waiting. In case you haven’t noticed, you are talking to Lee Taemin.” Then, he hung up.

“I’m so DEAD.” Minji said.

On the other end, “Let’s officially start playing Gong Minji.”