Chapter 23: When things happen all too suddenly

DJ got us falling in love

 

Chapter 23: When things happen all too suddenly


My heart is beating fast. Why am I running? Fear is enclosing in my system. Why am I scared? Nothing can scare me. 

“You are running away from me? Minji-ah, how can you leave me? I’m your closest friend there is. You said you would never leave me.”

That voice. Don’t turn around Minji. Don’t turn around. But, I turned around stupid body. Gio. He is coming. I ran and ran but he is gaining on me. Why is my face wet? I’m crying? I felt a hand on my neck. He is behind me. His arms s on my waist and he inhaled my scent. 

“You think you can runaway from me? I told you. You are mine. No one can save you. Your oppas aren’t here.” My heart stopped. Taemin. 

“TAEMIN!!” I shouted.

“Not even that pesky kid could save you.” He said to me and tears just came running to my face.

He led me to a room and opened the door. There I saw Taemin, lying there with a respirator and his head with my handmade beanie over it. 

“He won’t be saving you not after you made him like this. Now, you can’t runaway because you are mine.” 



♠♠♠


“Stop stalling, Key. I want to know because it’s been bugging me for a month now.” Chaerin said to him as she tugged the sleeve of his shirt. 

“What?” Kibum said in annoyance. Chaerin was surprised at his tone. 

“Okay then. I’m going to pick Minji up. No, don’t call me or anything.” Chaerin said and stood up. She is mad because she was asking for this and he wouldn’t explain why he couldn’t tell or tell her about it and now he answered with irritation evident in his voice. She needs to leave before they fight for real. 

She was about to leave when she felt his hand on hers. He tugged her hand hard that she lost her balance and fell on his lap. He hugged her and muttered, “Sorry. I didn’t mean it.” Chaerin remain silent.

“Minjung and Taemin were supposed to be married but Minjung objected because she treated Taemin as her oppa. Taemin at the time was in love with Sulli and doesn’t want to marry her. Both were fond of each other and treat each other as best friends and cousins. So if ever were to happen to Minjung, Taemin would kill anyone who hurts her and Minjung is the same for him. Don’t take it to heart that I have said that they were once engaged. It’s to justify why Minjung reacted like that. The two made a promise. If ever they couldn’t get married to the ones they love then they’ll consider marrying each other. That was the condition they made so that their parents won’t pursue the engagement.” Kibum finally said. Chaerin just digested this fact. 

Chaerin’s phone rang and she answered it. “Kyuhyun oppa? What? Minji fainted? Is she okay? Okay, we will be right there.” 

“Can we please not go?” Kibum said as he hugged her tighter. “Yah, I’m not angry anymore so stop the hugging. My maknae fainted. I knew this is going to happen sooner or later. Crying when no one is around plus the beanie she was making for Taemin.” Kibum just hugged her even more tighter. “5 more minutes, besides, Kyuhyun hyung is there plus Seohyun. No harm will come her way.”

She smiled at him being possessive over her. “How can I ever refuse you? Just five minutes.”

"By the way when did Kyuhyun hyung got your number?" Key asked with jealousy painted his voice. 



♠♠♠


“No. I’m not yours, Gio. Taemin, I’m sorry. Wake up.”

“Minji-ah. Wake up. Wake up. It’s just a dream.” Seohyun said as she tried to wake the other maknae up. Minji opened her eyes and hugged Seohyun. It shocked Seohyun but she gently patted her back. 

“It’s just a dream. You are safe here.” She reassured. Kyuhyun entered the room with some snacks. 

“Good thing you are awake. I was shocked to see you lying on the floor. Don’t get up. The doctor said you were exhausted and you suffered shock so that you fainted.” Kyuhyun said as Minji tried to stand up. She then realized that there is an IV line on her right hand.

She looked around and saw Taemin still in a coma. 

“I told the doctor to settle you here in this room for now since all he said was you should just consume the IV and you are good to go. I called Chaerin just to let her know. She’ll be coming to get you by the way so just rest.” Kyuhyun said and he gave Seohyun the snacks and left the room again.

Minji stayed in bed and just looked at Taemin. ‘I’m sorry for being stupid and careless.



♠♠♠


“Minjung, you should definitely apologize to Minji. She didn’t do anything wrong.” Minho reprimanded Minjung as he drove to the hospital.

“Except the fact of breaking my cousin’s heart, and making him fall into coma because he saved her. Yeah, hell like I’ll forgive her.”

“Big deal he saved her. You know he will do that every time she’s in trouble.” Minho said his anger getting ahead of him.

“In return, she’ll believe the idiot guy she’s with hurting him in return. Like always. Now he’s in coma because of her. That is the BIG DEAL you are talking about.”

“Minjung can’t you see how your cousin loves her!? He freaking saved her at the cost of his life.” Minho said.

“Why can’t you let me be angry at her? I can’t get angry at Taemin for being stupid because he won’t respond to me!! At the very least I can see her respond!! I can see her be guilty for what she did to my cousin.” Minjung shouted as her tears cascaded on her face.

“Don’t you think it’s enough?!? She barely sleeps, she’s always there at his room, crying herself to sleep and most of all she wanted to die, thinking she should be there than him.” Minho finally shouted at her.

“She wanted to die?” Minjung asked.

“Dongho called said she was traipsing on the rooftop while it’s raining. She could’ve died from hypothermia if Dongho hadn’t seen her. She wasn’t reckless before. She’s in love with your cousin. She would still do those crazy requests he made to her before. Now, she fainted from exhaustion. So you better stop all this nonsense of hating her when she is the girl that made your cousin straightened up his life after Sulli.” Minho said.

“What crazy requests?” Minjung asked.

“Like, she’ll buy banana milk at a convenience store that’s about ten minutes away from our dorm and she’s back at the dorm in five minutes thinking she’ll see Taemin smirking at her or she’ll arrange his manga collection and when she hears the creaking of the door, she hopes to see it was him only to be disappointed it’s me or Key. So, stop the guilt trip because she already is. Even she is with Kikwang, she’s by your cousin’s side this whole time. That’s how cruel this is.” Minho said while he parked. Minjung was silent. They didn’t talk as they walked to Taemin’s room.

They finally went to Taemin’s room. Minjung was overwhelmed to see Minji sleeping with an IV line hooked on her. Chaerin and Seohyun were talking. They stopped when they saw the two. 

“Why is Minji with an IV?” Minho asked. 

“She was exhausted and Kyuhyun oppa said that she received quite a shock as she was passing by the ICU unit. She passed out in front of room sky blue.” Seohyun said and Chaerin gasped while Minho dropped the box of doughnuts he was holding.

Seohyun and Minjung were confused by their actions.

“Seohyun, room sky blue? Are you sure?” Chaerin asked.

“Yes. That is what Kyuhyun oppa said. He heard the nurses say that the patient there woke up from coma or something. So, it means, our Taemin will wake up too. Miracles happen.” Seohyun said brightly.

Minho rushed out of the room as soon as he heard that. Chaerin was about to follow when Minjung stopped her.

“What the hell is going on? Why is Minho oppa acting like that?” Minjung asked.

“The person who woke up from coma, is Minji’s kidnapper, Kang Gio.” Chaerin said and the other two gasped at the revelation.



♠♠♠


“Miss?” Minho asked a nurse who is currently writing her notes in a notepad at the nurses’ station.

“Yes?” She said without looking up.

“Is it true that the patient in room sky blue woke up?” Minho asked. The nurse stopped writing and looked at him. She gasped yet kept her cool.

Flashback:

“When someone asks about this guy, tell them he died.” Kyuhyun said as he signed some papers regarding the transfer.

“But, but sir that is against the rules.” The doctor said.

“Just do it.” Kyuhyun said and that made the whole medical team caring for Kang Gio tight lipped about their patient.



“Sir, yes he woke up but he died an hour later.” The nurse lied. Minho took in consideration the nurse’s action as she answered. She was trembling and she couldn’t look straight at him. The doctor who was in charge for Kang Gio’s treatment came in for his rounds. Minho recognized him.

“Nurse Kim, where are the charts?” The doctor asked and Nurse Kim gave him the charts but later then it all fell.

“Where are you hiding Gio?” Minho asked as he grabbed the doctor’s collar.

“He died after 2 hours of waking up.” The doctor answered and Minho slammed him on the wall.

“The nurse said it was an hour but you said two hours. Are ing kidding me?” He said. Chaerin and Minjung came running and stopped Minho from further injuring the doctor.

“I am sorry but we are told not to speak of patient’s well being without the guardian’s permission.” The doctor said but then he retracted his answer, "We don't have any patient named Kang Gio. Even if you check our records."

“So, he is alive.” Chaerin and Minho said at the same time. The nurse and the doctor just looked away. Minjung shoved the nurse away from the computer to check if what they are saying is true and none of her searches found about Kang Gio. She sighed in defeat. 

“One way to find out.” Minho said as they walked back to Taemin’s room.

Minho grabbed his phone and called his hyung.



♠♠♠


“So, you told them to move Gio in a different hospital?” Heechul asked their maknae.

“I did what you told me to do. What the hell is with this guy?” Kyuhyun answered but Heechul just whipped up his phone and dialed Seunghyun’s number.

“Hyung?” Seunghyun answered.

“The b*stard woke up.” Heechul said.

“What?!?” Seunghyun asked.

“Yes, he woke up but I told Kyuhyun to move him in a different hospital so that when the time comes he should come in handy.”

“Hyung, thank you.” Seunghyun managed to say.

“When will you be back?” Heechul asked.

“I’ll be back after two weeks tops but maybe earlier.” Seunghyun said.

“All we need is for Taemin to wake up.” Heechul said.

“Yeah.” Seunghyun said and hung up.

“Are you sure no one knows about this?” Heechul asked.

“I told the doctors and nurses to keep their mouth shut. Who is this guy anyway? Why are we keeping him safe or something?” Kyuhyun asked but it was answered by another question.

“Are you sure? Did you say anything about to the others?” Heechul said.

“I said something to Seohyun in some way.” Kyuhyun answered and as if on cue he received a call from Minho.

“HYUNG!! WHAT THE HELL IS THIS?? WHERE DID YOU KEEP THAT B*STARD? WHY WON’T THEY TELL US ANYTHING??” Minho shouted. Heechul snatch the phone from Kyuhyun and said, “Minho, shut up. We don’t know what you are talking about.” He hung up.

“You better shut it. No one should know about this.” Heechul said.

“Tell me why I should shut my mouth.” Kyuhyun challenged.

“If you want to see them together, you should shut your mouth.” Heechul said.



♠♠♠


“What did Kyuhyun oppa said?” Chaerin asked.

“Hee-nim intervened. They are tight lipped about this.” Minho said.

“How can a patient disappear like that? The nurses and doctors said they didn’t have a patient named Kang Gio. It’s not logical.” Minjung said.

“Damn it!” Minho said and Minji stirred. 

“Oh, sorry Minji-ah.” Minho said. She looked around to see Minjung tending to her cousin while Seohyun is catching some sleep. Chaerin smiled and said, “Let’s go home.” Minji got up and went near Taemin. She looked at Minjung as if asking for permission and the latter just looked away as if giving permission.

“I’ll be back tomorrow. Please wake up by then okay?” She whispered to him. She then said goodbyes to the other people and she went home.



♠♠♠


Kikwang didn’t call her that night. She couldn’t care less.The next day she did her routine schedule. After her morning vocal practice and warming up with some dance routines, she showered and went to visit Taemin. 

As she walked to the familiar hallway to his room, she stopped in front of Kang Gio’s former room. She was surprised to see there is another patient occupying the room. She went to the nurses’ station. She was trembling but gathered her courage to ask. 

“Excuse me, where is the patient in this room gone too?” She asked.

“He died. He woke up for an hour but then died. Are you his friend?” The nurse answered. Minji felt sad. No matter how bad Gio is, she wouldn’t wish him death.

“Are you okay? Do you need to lie down?” The nurse asked. She shook her head and said, “I’m fine. Thank you for worrying.” She lifelessly walked to Taemin’s room. No one was around and she sat down on the chair near his bed. She held his hand.

“Taemin, Gio died yesterday. I know I should be happy because no one will endanger my life nor will do something to me like that again but I’m sad. He was my friend and I didn’t wish for him to die. I just don’t know what to do.” She confessed.

She gazed at him. “Yah, aren’t you going to wake up? Say something at least stupid or just something. Should I call you oppa? Oppa, wake up. Eew. That’s disgusting calling you oppa.” She laughed at her own silliness. 

Krystal entered the room with Amber. Minji smiled to see them. Tiffany came in with Yesung and Eunhyuk. They all talked as they took care of the maknae. 

“Yah, Taemin oppa. I’m the maknae yet they are treating you the maknae. Wake up already.” Krystal coaxed. They all smiled. 

Minji’s phone rang and she went outside. 

“Hello?” She answered. 

“Come out.”

“Oppa.”

“It has been ages Minji. Come on.” She felt guilty. She is his girlfriend yet they haven’t dated. 

She felt a hand on her shoulder and she saw Tiffany. “You should go. We’ll be with our maknae. He’ll be sad seeing you not having fun.” She said with a smile.

“Fine.” She answered to her phone. Tiffany handed her bag and hugged her. “Have fun. Call me when you get there safely.” Minji smiled at her loving unnie.



♠♠♠


Minji arrived at the club in Itaewon. She entered the club and there was a waiter waiting for her. He led her to a VIP room. When she entered it, there was Kikwang. He was drunk. Minji felt fear but she didn’t think of it. She knew he wouldn’t hurt her.

They talked for a long time then Kikwang stood up and led her to the dance floor. Both had fun dancing. Minji then remembered how she became Taemin’s slave and it was all because of Kikwang.

Flashback:

He held her close to him and said, “Gong Minji of 2NE1, you think, I won’t recognize your moves.” The girl look startled and pushed him away and tries to run but he caught her.

“Let go.” She said. “No, I won’t. Come with me.” He dragged her outside the club and led her to the back alley. “I told you let go!” She said. “Can’t recognize me?” He said.

“Who wouldn’t recognize you? You are SHINee’s maknae, Lee Taemin. How did you know that I’m Minji?” She said with questioning eyes. “Simple, the way you move. The way you dance is an instant give away. You wouldn’t understand. I just knew.”

“Why did you drag me here?”

“You’ll see. In about 1 minute.” He said while smiling at her.

The police came and all of the minors in the club were seized. Minji was shocked.

“Now, you owe me for saving you there.” He said while flicking Minji’s phone.

“Yah! How did you get my phone?” She asked while searching herself if he took another thing from her.

“When I held you in there while dancing.” He threw the phone to Minji and she caught it. 

“You better answer my calls, or suffer the consequence, Gong Minji.”

“Why should I answer your calls?”

“Because if you don’t, I’ll tell your unnies what happened tonight. You know that Kibum hyung is close with your leader right?” Taemin said while smiling and he went back inside the club.


She smiled at that memory. Ever since that time, he always saved her from danger or trouble except for that one time and she was mad at him. Kikwang noticed this and it made him mad. He suddenly dragged her back to the VIP room and they talked again as if he tries to make her his by his words. She smiled and they talked but her mind is on Taemin’s.

It was now 12 midnight. “Oppa, I need to go home.”

“You are not going.” Kikwang said as he stopped her. 

“Oppa. I have a curfew. Chaerin unnie will have my head.” She protested but Kikwang’s gripped tightened.

“You are just going to Taemin. No. You are mine.” He said. He pinned her on the sofa.

“O-o-oppa!! Stop this.” She said bit it all went to his deaf ears. She squirmed to let herself loose but it didn’t work, his grip is stronger. He kissed her roughly. 

I don’t want this.’ She thought. His free hand ran through her waist down to her thighs. His kisses went down to her neck. 

“Stop it. STOP!!!” She shouted. She felt violated. Her tears now freely fell but he wouldn’t stop. She tried to kick him but her legs were locked with his own. No one could hear her screams because it is being droned out by loud music. 

Then the door opened with a bang.



♠♠♠


“Isn’t that Minji I just escorted? I should keep an eye on her. I have a bad feeling about this.” Hyejun said to himself.

He went on bartending for a while. “Yo, Hyejun, gimme something strong.” He smiled because he knew who that person is. 

“Hyunseung hyung, it has been a while.” Hyejun said as he gave him some liquor. They talked for a while when Hyejun said to him, “You know hyung, Kikwang is here. He is in the VIP room with 2NE1’s Minzy. He’s pretty drunk.”

“That guy. Lead me to that room.” Hyunseung said jokingly. They went to the second floor. They hearts stopped when they heard Minji shout, “STOP!!”

Hyejun tried to open the door but it was locked. He fumbles on his keys like an idiot but Hyunseung just kicked the door. They were shocked on what they saw. Hyunseung threw Kikwang off of Minji. 

“Are you okay, maknae?” Hyunseung asked. 

“Hyunseung oppa?” Minji said. Hyunseung wiped her tears with his fingers. 

“Hyejun, send Minji home. I’ll deal with this.” Hyunseung said. Hyejun complied and escorted Minji out of the room.

“You SH*T!! HOW CAN YOU DO THAT TO A GIRL?!?” Hyunseung shouted as he kicked Kikwang.

“She is my dongsaeng. You IN EXCUSE OF A GUY!!” Hyunseung shouted again as he beat the crap out of Kikwang.

It has been an hour and Kikwang passed out. His white polo shirt covered in blood. Hyunseung was panting. 

“YOU’LL NEVER GET TO LAY A FINGER ON HER.” He said as he dragged Kikwang. He tossed him in his car and drove him to the hospital.



♠♠♠


Hyejun hailed a taxi and he let Minji in it. He then came in after.

“Hospital.” Minji said. 

“What?” Hyejun said.

“Bring me to the hospital.” She said while she looked at the window with lifeless eyes.

“Okay.” Hyejun said.

“Seoul hospital please.” Hyejun said to the driver.

The entire ride was quiet. Hyejun just looked at Minji. ‘She must be pretty tired. After what happened to Taemin-sshi, this has to happen.’ 

They arrived at the hospital and Hyejun just followed her until they reached Taemin’s room. 

Minji opened the door and no one was around. She entered the room. Hyejun’s heart just broke at the scene that unfolded before him. Minji laid next to Taemin on his hospital bed. She hugged him and started crying. 

Hyejun closed the door and just listened to Minji’s sobs. He dialed Dongho’s number.

“Yo, Hyejun, what’s up?” Dongho answered.

“Can you do me a favor? Call any 2NE1 member to the hospital. Tell them their maknae is here in Taemin’s room and she’s pretty tired and can’t get up.” Hyejun said.

“Oh, okay.” Dongho answered. It took about an hour when she finally stopped crying. Hyejun peeked in and saw her sleeping. He closed the door. He waited till he saw Bom with their manager. He left because he knew she’s going to be okay now, he hoped.



♠♠♠


Minji was at ease. She felt cold but then she felt that someone put an arm around her. She looked up to see Taemin smiling at her. 

“Sleep, you definitely need it.” He said as he brushed her bangs away and kissed her forehead. She felt safe with him. 

“Am I dreaming?” She asked.

“Yes you are but why would you ever thought that this isn’t real?” Taemin answered. She slightly punched his chest and it went all dark again.



♠♠♠


Heechul and Leeteuk were on their way to Taemin’s room when they bumped to Bom. Both exchanged pleasantries and Bom told them that Dongho said Minji was here and she came to pick her up. When they opened the door, they saw the scene that made Hyejun’s heart broke. They looked at each other and both pitied the maknaes.

2NE1’s manager carried Minji up. 

“We’ll be going now.” Bom said and they bowed at each other. 

“Bom-sshi.” Leeteuk said and Bom turn around.

“Yes?” Bom asked.

“Can I have your number?” Leeteuk asked.

“Heechul has it. I’m type AB remember?” She said and left.

“You have her number all this time and you didn’t tell me?!?” Leeteuk said at Heechul and Heechul just smirked. “You didn’t ask me so…I didn’t tell you. As simple as that and besides she didn’t say I can give it.” He said. As he went near Taemin’s bed to fix the blanket on the maknae, he found something odd. 

Did Minji just used Taemin’s arm as her pillow?’ He thought as he saw Taemin’s arm in a different position.



♠♠♠


Kikwang woke up in the hospital. He was sore all over. He noticed that his right eyebrow was stitched up and his lip busted.

‘Damn. Whoever beat me up is good.’ He said to himself. He then got up. He realized that he is in the same hospital as Taemin. His anger just went to another level. He got up and walked. He then went to Taemin’s room in which was empty of his guardians at the moment.

He stared at Taemin’s sleeping frame with deep loathing.

“Why didn’t you just die? Why are you still interfering with my relationship with Minji? She’s mine. You have no chance with her. She trusts me more than you. She is just here because she was guilty. She was supposed to be there not you so don’t be cocky. Don’t ever wake up. Besides, she’s mine already.” Kikwang said. 

As he was about to leave, “Hyung, do you honestly think I’ll let you have her?” He stopped at his tracks. He turned around and saw Taemin sitting up and smiling at him mockingly.



♠♠♠