Chapter 22: I’m scared, Taemin. Wake up.

DJ got us falling in love

 

Chapter 22: I’m scared, Taemin. Wake up.


“His eyes are dilated and he is losing too much blood. Isn’t this the one who is supposed to be bleeding inside his head?” The doctor asked as he checked on Taemin. After the nurses put the led on Taemin’s chest to check for his heart functions, the heart monitor went into a flat line and caused everyone in the medical team to panic and move fast.

“Paddles, charge it to 180!! Epinephrine 1ml IV push stat!! Don’t give up on me kid.” The doctor shouted.

Kibum was shaking as he watched his maknae being revived by the doctor and Chaerin put an arm around him to keep him calm. Sooyoung was being restrained by 5 nurses until they have given her a sedative. Minji stood shocked and drained of life as she watched what is happening. Taemin, the guy who tortured her, , made her smile, is now on that bed in the Emergency Room, lifeless. Big Bang and 2NE1 stood by their maknae. Kikwang was leaning by the wall to regain his balance.

“Book an OR and I don’t need idiotic interns in this case!! Order 5 packs of type B blood stat.” The doctor said as if he was rapping while he revives Taemin.

‘Wake up. Damn it! Wake up!’ Minji said as if she was reciting a mantra over her head.

“Doc, he’s back.” The nurse who was monitoring the cardiac monitor said. The doctor wiped his sweat over his coat. 

“Doctor Lee, OR 1 is now ready!” The nurse said.

“Let’s go! Every minute counts or this kid will not get to live.” The doctor said as they pushed Taemin’s stretcher. 



♠♠♠


1 month later:

“Oppa, let’s stop by the hospital.” Minji said as she fixed her things inside her bag and checking if she did bring the beanie she made for Taemin’s head. She was up all night making it. 

“You just visited him yesterday and the day before yesterday and the day before it. I’m your boyfriend and we haven’t dated in like forever and you want to visit HIM?” Kikwang said as he drove.

“Why are you being like this? He is in coma because of me. Why are you bringing this conversation again? We’ve already talked about this.” Minji dismissed the issue but Kikwang’s action says otherwise, he gripped the stirring wheel hard to contain his anger.

“Tell me why he placed first in your heart while I’m always second? You prioritize him over me when I also save your life.”

“Pull over.”

“What?!?”

“I said, PULL OVER!!” Minji said and he did stop the car near the sidewalk.

I don’t want to entertain your jealousy issues against Taemin. You are fine after you saved me and he is in FREAKING COMA BECAUSE OF ME. Why can’t you understand that?” 

Minji got out. “Don’t call me until you sort out your hostile feelings.” She then slammed the car door hard and walked away. Kikwang just sped away.



♠♠♠


“Why isn’t he waking up? Taemin.” Yoona said as she held Taemin’s hand. SNSD was worried over him. It has been a month after the operation and SM Town are all worried. Today, It was Seohyun and Yoona’s turn to look after him. 

“It has been a month. Taemin, wake up. We miss your smile already.” Seohyun said softly but Taemin was still unconscious. The only thing that says he is still alive is his cardiac monitor.

The door opened to reveal Ryeowook and Kyuhyun. “Still no change? Not even a flutter of his eyelids?” Kyuhyun asked and Seohyun just nodded.

“Why does he need to suffer from all of this from saving someone? He saved someone and in return, he’s here.” Ryeowook said.

Outside the room, a guilt-ridden Minji listened to their rants while clutching the beanie she made for Taemin. Tears flowed from her eyes. ‘It’s my fault that he is like this.’

Flashback:

Super Junior members rushed to the hospital with SHINee and f(x). SNSD members were still performing their gigs but they will come as soon as they are finished. DBSK and Trax are on their way. All of them have the same feelings. Fear and worry over Taemin. 

Luna ran straight to Key who was being held by Chaerin at the waiting area. It has been eight hours since the surgery started. Big Bang greeted SM Town with hugs. It was like a family scene and it was touching. The patients, fans and medical staff were in awe and touched by the gestures that the artists are giving. All of them are there to support each other.

“What happened?” Luna asked. It was the question that most of them wanted to hear.

“I don’t know when it started but he have been having headaches, painful ones and he didn’t say anything. We all thought it’s because of something that happened lately and he was just blaming himself or being regretful about it. When Sooyoung noona brought him last night, he was burning up. We took him today to have him check and the doctor said that there are blood clots forming from his head ever since the incident at the alley. He couldn’t even move his left arm before. However, he escaped and he saved Minji from the falling ice sculpture and it hit his head. He is unconscious and the doctors say that it is a bad sign.” Key said as if he is rapping a nightmare. Minji who heard this can’t stop shaking and Jiyong hugged her. 

A girl who is as beautiful like a life size doll dropped her bag and her phone it crashed loudly. All of them looked at her. SM Town seemed to know her. 

The words she uttered, “Where is she?” Minho pointed Minji to her. She went to Minji and slapped her. 

“You. He saved you three times now but all he received from you is rejection all because you chose to believe some lie a guy you thought who wouldn’t fool you.”

TOP was about to reprimand the girl but Kikwang was faster than him and dragged the girl. However the girl was much stronger than him as she pushed him away and said, “Keep off your filthy hands away from me.”

“Minjung, calm down.” Minho said as he tugged the girl but he knows that she is still calm in this state. She let Minho took her away and she sat with him as they waited.

“Kibum, who is she?” Chaerin asked in a whisper.

“She’s Lee Minjung. Taemin’s third cousin and supposed to be fiancé.” Kibum said.



♠♠♠


Minji went to the hospital’s roof top. It was raining but she didn’t care. She wanted to let the raindrops fall on her as she cried. She was guilty. It was her fault. All the time, Taemin saved her but there is still that question, why is it the third time? All she remembered, was he saved her from the boxes and the ice sculpture. 

“I told you, I’m not always there to protect you, idiot.” His voice, these words replayed in her head like a broken player.

“Yah!! Are you stupid?!?” someone called to her. She didn’t care. “Yah!! It’s freaking February and it’s cold. Are you trying to get yourself killed by hypothermia?” She didn’t listen. 'Then so be it. It’s my fault.' Then she felt someone dragged her inside.

“Seriously, Gong Minji you are as stubborn as Taemin.” That sentence snapped her back to reality. She looked at the person and it was Dongho.



♠♠♠


TOP was in Japan and the other members but they have different activities. Daesung and SeungRi with their sub unit and so GD and YB while he was busy promoting his movie. The only thing he regrets is he didn’t get to say what he found out to Minji. Though the other members knew the truth and wanted to kill Kikwang they couldn’t. They couldn’t bear to tell Minji the truth. Taemin is still in coma and Minji is already blaming herself for it. What if she knew the real reason was her all along and she just aggravated it? He managed to warn Kikwang but with him and the other members not around they couldn’t look out for the maknae. The only thing that assured him is that Leeteuk and Heechul knows the truth after they accidentally heard him warning Kikwang. Both are in Korea right now and looks out for the maknaes. He sighed as he remembered that moment.

Flashback:

TOP shoved Kikwang to the wall. “You little b*stard. I let you get close to Minji and you lied to us saying you saved her when in truth it was all Lee Taemin.”

“Hyu-hyu-hyung.” Kikwang stuttered. TOP shoved his arm to Kikwang’s throat to impede his breathing.

“I’ll make sure you can’t get Minji.” TOP said but Kikwang countered him back as he managed to get free.

“It’s too late. She’s mine.” Kikwang said. “Not if I could help it. I’ll tell her the truth.”

“Oh really hyung? Minji is fragile right now and if she learns she’s the root cause of why Taemin is like that, who knows what will happen?” 

“Kikwang.” Leeteuk said as he made his presence known and Heechul with his side.

“You know, you can never change her heart with lies. I assure you even if you get her physically like you are now, her heart and mind will always be with the guy in the OR right now.” Heechul said.

“For now and if ever you mishandled or hurt her because you can’t handle the truth that she is Taemin’s all along, your career will be over along with Sohyun.” Leeteuk said. 

“Threatening me now?” Kikwang said with arrogance. In a split second he was on the floor groaning in pain. Leeteuk just kicked him on the groin and Heechul punched him on the stomach. TOP just kicked him in the gut for another three times.

“If you touch her, force her or hurt her, I’ll make sure you can never dance again.” TOP said and Heechul patted his shoulder motioning him to go back to the waiting room. 

“Just one more thing, once Taemin wakes up, you’ll confess to Minji. If you don’t, consider yourself dead.” Leeteuk said.


Minji-ah, wait for me. I’ll tell you after this gig is done.



♠♠♠


“Were you visiting Taemin?” Dongho asked as he dried Minji’s hair with a towel he had. The nurses were kind and let Minji in a room to dry off.

“Why are you here? What do you mean I’m as stubborn as him?” Minji asked.

“I’m here for my check up. When Taemin and I went to a club to ask where you were brought by that Gio, someone snuck from behind and whacked me in the head. So my head isn’t in a right condition because I couldn’t remember anything but some of the memories are coming back. Anyways, when I told Taemin I saw you being carried by a guy, he dragged me around Itaewon and is itching to find you. I asked my bartender friend and he directed us to where you were located. That is what I remember for now and it’s a bit hazy.”

Minji clutched her chest as Taemin’s voice and words echoed again. “Even if you don’t believe me, I tried finding you. I went crazy. I didn’t sleep because I can’t. I went to every club that you might be dancing in Itaewon. Hoping it was just a dream and I would see you dancing your heart but it wasn’t. When I did find you, I tried so hard to protect you till I pass out. I’m sorry for everything.

“Let’s go.” Dongho said.

“Where?” Minji said.

“To Taemin. You have to give something to him right?” He said as he pointed to the beanie that is peeking out in her bag.



♠♠♠


How can she be like that? Is really Taemin that important than me? I’m her boyfriend for a month but all this time her thoughts are with him all the time. It’s always, “Oppa let’s go to the hospital first.”, “Do you think he already woke up by now?”, “Oppa, let’s meet another time, Sooyoung unnie needs to go and no one is available to watch over him.

Is this what Heechul hyung said? Am I paying the price of lying to her? I have her physically yet her spirit, emotions, and heart are with him?

No, don’t be a pathetic fool. She is yours. You managed to get this far. You have to DO EVERYTHING to make HER YOURS.



♠♠♠


Dongho knocked on the door and Seohyun opened it. “Oh, you are here now. We thought you weren’t coming today. We got worried, Minji.” Seohyun said with a smile.

Dongho pushed Minji inside Taemin’s room. He was still sleeping serenely as if nothing is wrong. His hair grew fast. The doctors shaved it all for the operation but it grew back beautifully. 

“Minji has something for Taemin.” Dongho said. 

“What is it?” Yoona asked and Minji brought out the beanie she knitted all night. 

“It’s pretty.” Ryeowook said and Minji blushed.

“What are you waiting for? Put it on him.” Kyuhyun said and Minji went to Taemin’s side. She put the beanie on him. She tried hard not to cry again but her eyes have a mind of it’s own and tears just fell. Kyuhyun held her shoulder and said, “It’s not your fault, Minji. He didn’t react fast. He’ll wake up. He is just being lazy and doesn’t want to wake up yet.” Minji wiped her tears hastily and plastered a fake smile.

“What do you guys want? It’s already 3 pm. I’m going out and buy food. Never mind I know it anyways.” Minji said and she walked out. She couldn’t take it. They didn’t even blame her. They blame Taemin for not being fast enough. 

“Oppa.” Seohyun said. 

“She’ll be okay. Once he wakes up, it’ll be okay.” Kyuhyun said and Ryeowook nodded.



♠♠♠


Minji went outside and bought food at the near convenience store. She unconsciously bought banana milk pack and a chicken sandwich. Her tears fell as she realized what she’s doing. She was free from their contract yet she keeps on doing what he told her to for the past month. Getting Banana milk & chicken sandwich within 10 minutes and she would run like a mad woman to their dorm only to open his room empty. Cleaning his room, arranging his manga collection and clothes and when she hears the door creaking open, she would immediately look at the door hoping it’s him but only to see Key or Minho. 

After practice, recordings and such, she would go to the hospital She really is a pathetic girlfriend to Kikwang. She agreed to be his not because she loves him as a guy but because she needed someone to be a pillar of support and strength to stop her from being crazy. She remembered how she realized that all along, she is in love with Taemin and only angry at him because he wasn’t the one who saved her. 

Flashback:

They waited in like forever. It has been 14 hours now. Most of them drifted in and out of dreamland. Minji and Minjung stayed awake waiting for the doctor. Occasionally, Minjung would give a hateful stare at Minji then Minho will distract her.

The light turned off signaling that the operation was now over. All of them stood up and the doctor came out exhausted and sweating real hard.

“Who among you is Lee Taemin’s family?” The doctor asked and all of them was about to say all of them when the doctor continued, “I mean family bonded by blood.”

Minjung went to meet the doctor but all of them were behind Minjung. “How is he?” The question that they all needed an answer for 14 hours.

“He is still critical. We all just have to wait and hope he wakes up.” The doctor said.

“What do you mean?” Minho asked clenching his fist indicating he is controlling himself.

“In simple words, he is in a coma.” The doctor said and Minjung darted her eyes to Kikwang. “YOU CAUSED ALL OF THIS!! YOU MESSED WITH THE WRONG LEE!!” She ran at Kikwang who was still staggering from the beating he had. She slapped him hard that he fell on the floor. Minho restrained Minjung because he knows the next person she’ll slap is Minji.

Minji’s knees gave way and fell on the floor. Her tears flowed freely. The words ‘hope he wakes up’ and ‘he is in coma’ keep replaying over and over in her head. 

“No. No. This isn’t true.” She said over and over. When Jiyong tried to hold her, she screamed.

“Baby girl, it’s oppa. He’ll wake up. He will. It’s not your fault.” Jiyong said as he tried to calm her. 

“Oppa, T-T-Taemin..”

“Sshhh. He’ll be okay. He just needs rest to recover.” Jiyong said. Minji tried to stand up only to see Taemin’s stretcher being brought out. He looked fragile and the bandage on his head with blood, different IV fluids hooked on him and an oxygen mask. She tried to walk but only to collapse in exhaustion.



♠♠♠


She then entered the hospital, passing the ICU unit. The nurses were running and she heard something that made her stop.

“Kang Gio is waking up. Call Doctor Choi.” The nurse said.

She dropped her groceries, and now shaking madly. 

Kang Gio, the best friend she made in middle school, the one who kidnapped her and the only person who knows the truth is now awake from coma. 

The person who took her away from Taemin is now awake and Taemin is in coma. 

Minji’s first thought, ‘Taemin, he’s back. Wake up. I’m scared.’ Meanwhile in Taemin’s room, they didn’t notice that Taemin’s hand just moved.